Marry in Haste - Epilogue Number 3
by Tank

It took Lois over three weeks to make it to Metropolis. The trial had been unusually quick, and very hard to take for them. All their protests of innocence and the obvious indications of a frame up were summarily dismissed by the prosecutors. The demeanor of their own attorney had mysteriously changed shortly into the trial. His efforts on their behalf had suddenly become inept and ineffectual. Lois suspected that he too had somehow been compromised by the person behind this nightmare. She had her suspicions as to who that someone was, but was at a loss as to how he was able to manage such an intricate and complicated plan.

The outcome of the trial was never in doubt. A young, ambitious federal prosecutor was on the case. He had no interest in justice or the truth. He was more interested in the big headlines and how a high-profile conviction would help his political career. People in Minnesota took their environmental issues seriously and Washington was calling. Her husband got the harshest penalty that the law allowed. Within two weeks of his arrest his was ensconced in Stillwater State Prison.

Their last time together, just before he was locked away was very hard on Lois. She hadn't realized until the reality of losing him had come crashing down on her, just how much she loved him. It had been a crushing epiphany for her to find out just how much love she was actually capable of. She knew that her poor husband felt the same way. He'd tried to be strong for her sake, but she could tell he was suffering as much as she was.

Once he was locked away, Lois found herself at loose ends. She'd been living in a low-rent apartment, depending partially on the help of some of her husbands good friends. But there had been only one thought on her mind. She had to find a way to make this right. She had to confront their enemy and do whatever it took to correct this horrible miscarriage of justice. She had to go to Metropolis.

Now she stood outside Clark Kent's apartment. A myriad of emotions assailed her. She was convinced that Clark was behind the mess her life had become. It was hard to reconcile those actions with the sweet, mild-mannered partner she'd been paired with. But it was the only answer that made sense. He'd declared his love for her, but she'd had to reject him. Sure, she thought he was an okay guy. A good reporter, and she might even say they were friends. But, love him? Hardly. He just wasn't her type. He was too good looking. You could never trust the good looking ones.

But that day in Centennial Park had changed a lot of things. He'd confessed his love for her, and she'd been put in the position of letting him down as gently as possible. She could tell he'd hadn't taken it very well. Kent may not have seemed so on the surface, but all those overly handsome guys had the same problem. An ego that told them no woman could really resist them if they let it be known there was a chance for them. So, even though he'd just left in a pout that day, she knew she had hurt his ego and maybe put a dent in his self-image. Still, she would never have thought he would stoop to the kind of thing that she and Tank had suffered through in recent weeks. But he had, of that she was sure. The real puzzle was how had a mild-mannered reporter been able to pull it off.

There was no one home, which was good. She wanted some time to snoop around his place before she confronted him. She lifted the planter and pulled out the extra key that was hidden there. He was so predictable.

Once inside Lois wasn't sure where to look. What kind of evidence would she look for? It was not as if Clark would have receipts for those exotic animals he must have smuggled onto their property.

She hadn't had any chance to start her investigations when she was alerted by a noise out on his balcony. She quickly stepped back around the edge of a bookcase, and carefully snuck a peek toward the sliding doors leading to the outside.

She had to bite her lip to keep from gasping as she saw Superman stride into the living room. He looked drawn and weary, like he'd been having trouble sleeping. He suddenly began to spin. He became a blur of colors which quickly changed from blues and reds to blacks and browns. When Superman stopped, he was no longer there. In his place was Clark Kent.

Lois couldn't suppress the gasp of shock that escaped from her mouth that time. His head jerked toward her direction as she boldly stepped from behind the bookcase. "So that's how you were able to do it, Clark... or should I say, Superman." Her tone dripped of venom.

Clark was clearly surprised to see her. "Ah, Lois, er, hello, what are you doing here?"

Lois snorted in disgust. "As if you didn't know. I've just been able to work out the how, but I still can't figure out the why."

Clark couldn't meet her eyes. "Ah, I don't know what you're talking about, Lois. Have you been having some problems?"

Lois' eyes blazed in anger. "*Don't!* Don't you dare try and deny what you did. You always were a terrible liar, and your guilt is written all over your face." Lois was shaking in her fury. "I know we didn't leave things in a very positive manner, but did that mean you had to ruin our life? Why, Clark? Why did you do it?" The tears finally started to roll down Lois' cheeks.

Clark looked around the room, he couldn't look Lois in the face. "I don't know, Lois. I really don't know what came over me. I just love you so..."

"No!" Lois stuck her hand out. "No, don't say you love me. You couldn't love me. If you love someone, you care more about their happiness then your own. If you love someone, you always want what's best for them, even if it's not what's best for you. I now know what love is. I know what it means to truly care about someone else." Tears streaming down her cheeks, Lois had to turn away. "I don't know what sick, selfish feelings you thought you were experiencing, but it wasn't love." She turned back to him, her revulsion clearly written on her face. "To do what you did tells me that you are incapable of love."

Clark stood mute for several moments. "You're right, of course. You were always right. These last few weeks have been hell. I haven't been able to sleep. I can't believe that it was me who did all those things. I was jealous. Jealous of something that I couldn't have. I hate myself for what I've become."

"That makes two of us."

Clark reached out his hand to her, but she quickly stepped back. "I don't know what to say? I know, sorry, is woefully inadequate." He ignored her snort of derision. "If I could go back and undo everything, I would. Believe me, Lois, I feel terrible about this."

"If that's really true, then it's clear what you have to do." Lois had regained her control, and was wiping the tears from her face.

Clark shrugged. "Anything, Lois. What would you have me do?"

Lois shook her head. Was he really that stupid? "It's easy, Clark. You and me are going back to Minnesota, right now. You are going to the authorities there and admit to what you have done. You are going to get my husband released from prison. After that you are going to disappear from my life - forever."

Superman set Lois down in front of the main entrance of Stillwater State Prison. The two of them approached the front doors.

"That was a pretty clever cover story you concocted for the legal authorities. The unpredictable effects of red kryptonite come to the rescue once again." Lois' voice betrayed the contempt she now felt for the tarnished Man of Steel.

Clark shrugged. "I felt it was necessary. Superman can still do a lot of good in this world, Lois. Surely, even you don't want him to be destroyed by this error in judgment."

"Error in judgment!" Lois's ire instantly ignited. She rounded on the now cringing super hero. "You call that just an..." She waved her hand in a gesture of dismissal. "You know, it just doesn't matter. All that matters is the release of my husband. The judge said they would fax all the necessary papers to the warden. Hopefully, the red tape can be set aside and I can take my husband home with me."

The pair were quickly passed through the several security check points until they found themselves in the office of the warden. Lois sat in the chair in front of the polished cherry desk. Superman stood off in the corner.

"Judge Richards said she would fax you all the pertinent information for my husband's release. Did you get it?" Lois' voice held a note of anxious anticipation.

"Yes, we received them a few minutes ago." The warden picked up a few sheets of paper from his desk, weakly waving them about.

Lois noticed that the warden seemed ill at ease. His eyes were focused on his desktop rather than on her. "What is it, warden? What aren't you telling me? There isn't going to be some long drawn out bureaucratic delay is there?"

The warden cleared his throat nervously. "I'm terribly sorry to have to be the one the tell you this, Mrs. Wilson, but your husband is... dead."

"What?" Lois felt her entire body suddenly go cold.

"There was an escape attempt last night. Your husband tried to go over the wall." The warden's voice got very soft. "He was shot by the guards... forty-seven times."

Lois shook her head in disbelief. "That doesn't make sense. Why would my husband do that? He wasn't a criminal." Tears began to flow once again.

The warden sighed. "I interviewed his cell mate and from what he said, your husband couldn't stand to be away from you any longer. He had to escape... to be with you. I'm sorry."

Lois rose and took in a long shuddering breath. "Thank you for you time, warden. I'll be going now." Her voice was stilted. Her motions were wooden. She was in shock. Lois turned and left. Clark followed meekly after.

Once they were back outside, Clark broke the stony silence. "Oh Lois, I'm so sorry, I never intended for something like this to happen." He reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" she shouted angrily as she violently shrugged off his hand. "Don't ever touch me." Her voice was low and full of menace. "My husband is dead because of you. No amount of empty platitudes are going to bring him back."

Clark hung his head. "I don't know what I can..."

"Shut up! Just shut up!" Lois spun even farther away from him, turning to face the startled Superman. "This is how it's going to be. I have nothing against your parents. Actually, the time I met them, they seemed like nice people. So, I'm giving you exactly one week to see to their safety."

"I don't understand."

"It's simple really. Through your petty, jealous actions you managed to take away the best thing that ever happened to me. You not only caused the death of a wonderfully gentle man, but ruined any chance I ever had for happiness." Lois' lips curved upward in a grin that was anything but amusing. "I'm going to show you I can be just as petty, and vindictive. From this moment on I am dedicating my life to making the rest of your life miserable. I'll bet even you can figure out what the first thing I'm going to do is."

Clark's frown was sadly resigned. "You're going to expose me?"

Lois nodded. "Oh, yeah. Not only who you are, but what you are. Before I'm through with you there won't be a person on this planet who would trust you to rescue their cat from a tree. Clark Kent and Superman are both going to be exposed for the slimeballs that they, er, he is."

Clark opened his mouth as if he was going to say something. Lois just glared at him. He shook his head sadly, a beaten man. "Oh, and one more thing," Lois added as she tugged on her short dark locks. "I know that you never liked the idea of me in short hair. But, in honor of the memory of a man whose boots you aren't fit to lick, I plan to keep my hair cut short - for the rest of my life."

She turned her back on him. Moments later she felt the sudden breeze that marked his leaving. Vengeance wasn't the best way to spend the rest of her days, but at least it gave her purpose, and for now, that was all she had.

The End (I hope)