Whoops--need to put one of these up, don't I? :rolleyes:

I hope y'all enjoyed the story.

Feedback is love! laugh

~•~
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This was a really fun story. I especially had to chuckle at the lines about telling beofre proposing and "don't let someone who is secretly in love with you think you are dead for more than five minutes."

I am half surprised that Clark did not respond "how would I know, when the being in love is secret."

“I read a lot of sci-fi.

The two of them spoke at once. Clark and his older counterpart glanced at each other. The woman smothered a laugh.
I think you missed a quotation mark in that part.

Now to me the big question is, will the advice given Clark here about not being paranoid pay off?

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Edited, thanks. smile

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ahhhhhhh! The torture! clap A complete story, which may have solved one young Clark's questions, but left us Readers with a 1000 more. What were Lois and Clark doing in the forest? Who were they traveling with besides Herb? I got the strange feeling it was Jimmy, although other than the stumbling through the woods, I'm not sure why. Was Tempus involved? Why were they jumping dimensions and going back to Clark's teenage years? Were they searching specifically for this Clark? Or another CJK? (a son?) Or was Lois calling to her husband? What will happen when young Clark grows up? Will he search for the brunette lady? Will he travel the world looking for her and accidentally miss Metropolis in his search? What have LnC changed by telling him what they told him? Will he ever tell his folks about his encounter in the woods? Does this signal the beginning of the end for Clark and Lana? Is this why Clark recognizes Lois in such a stunned way at the DP that day of his interview? Okay, maybe not a 1000 questions, but still... I feel a bit like I've been involved in a short story hit and run.

That being said, I liked it. I, too, loved Lois's asides, especially about the proposal and the who loves him in secret. laugh I'm glad Clark was able to help himself (you know what I mean).

Dang! Now, how am I going to concentrate on my own story with all these questions running through my head?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet! I'm glad they were able to reassure young Clark that he wasn't a monster, and he would learn to control these strange powers, and someday grow up to have a (somewhat) normal life. Oh, and also that he should ditch Lana laugh

Virginia, young Clark will never know what was going on, and neither will you. smile It's a blunt plot object! But hey, it worked for me.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
Nice one - be interesting to know how different their worlds are in other respects.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Why were they jumping dimensions and going back to Clark's teenage years?
Maybe it is not that they "went back" but that the time in the dimension they went to does not line up with the time in their own dimension.

John Pack Lambert
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
A delightful one-shot. Thanks for posting it. Of course, now I'll never hear the phrase "to be by myself" in quite the same way again. (Of course, Clark was not only by himself, he was positively beside himself... wink )

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Queen of the Capes and the Mistress of the Short Story strikes again! Your writing gets so much emotion out of a few words, Queenie. Keep it coming! It was very enjoyable. I like a little mystery with my reading.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
At the risk of my man-card, that was quite lovely. I felt young Clark's angst as he fled from what he believed would be Lana's disdain for - or even fear of - his burgeoning abilities. And the happy accident, or perhaps 'serendipity,' that brought these three together was wonderful. Loved the glasses, the brunette's babble and illogic, and especially young Clark's realization that he wasn't cursed but blessed instead.

It looks like the extra-dimensional Clark and not-Lana (not even technically) have changed this young man's life and heart. Now he'll be able to look forward to new abilities popping up instead of dreading their arrival. This will be the turning point in his entire existence, and maybe it will be that little extra boost to keep him on the straight and narrow path to follow his parents' sage counsel.

Oh! My favorite part:

He heard the crunching of footsteps behind the shrubs ahead. He pushed through.

There was a clearing. A woman was standing there, looking away from him. She was brunette, and except for the oversized jacket she wore, she didn't seem to be dressed for winter. She hugged herself tightly, tapping one foot impatiently. He didn't recognize her at all.

A man came through the bushes on the other side. Like the woman, he seemed to be dressed for a warmer day, although he wasn't even shivering. “Sorry, Honey,” he began. “I—”

The man looked up at him and froze.

The woman turned, following the man's stare, and froze.

Clark himself froze. “I—I thought I heard my name,” he stammered.

The man and the woman shared a look. “Well, this is awkward,” the woman murmured.

The man looked up at him again. There was something strange about him that Clark couldn't quite put his finger on. “Er, we didn't realize there would be anyone else in these woods,” he began, then paused. “It's Valentine's day, isn't it? Shouldn't you be off somewhere with L—uh, with your girlfriend?”

The woman gave her companion a mildly annoyed look.

“Well, I—he's—at that age,” the man told her. “You already know how it was—is—at that age...”

“Oh, I know,” she said, rolling her eyes.
Classic Lois. I can so see this in my head!

Wonderful story, Queenie. Do it again! Come on, you can give us some more! We can take it!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This story was a sweet little surprise and it was a perfect way to end the work week.

You have to give it to Lois, ever since she met Clark her life has never been dull, but the lady keeps rolling with the punches. smile1 Imagine meeting your husband's younger self - in another universe.

Everyone knows you are the Queen of excellent short stories, but now we all want to know more about Lois and Clark's mission. Who were they trying to met? Why is a forrest in Kansas and not Metropolis? Please just stretch the story a little bit more! We really want to know.

Thanks for a lovely treat

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
clap Too perfect! I'd like to see more of this, even though I don't know how, it was so well done I can't *not* want more! Loved the thing about reading a lot of scifi and saying Lois is the best person he'll ever meet. laugh Adorable! love Great job!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Thanks for all the FDK, you guys! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. smile

John:

This was a really fun story.
Thanks. smile

I especially had to chuckle at the lines about telling beofre proposing and "don't let someone who is secretly in love with you think you are dead for more than five minutes."
I just knew Lois would have to get her five cents in there on the subject. laugh

Virginia, you had a couple questions which I'll be happy to answer here:

Were they searching specifically for this Clark? Or another CJK? (a son?) Or was Lois calling to her husband?
Lois was calling her husband.

Does this signal the beginning of the end for Clark and Lana?
Yes.

(all the other questions)
evil

Pam:

Sweet! I'm glad they were able to reassure young Clark that he wasn't a monster, and he would learn to control these strange powers, and someday grow up to have a (somewhat) normal life.
Thanks. smile I just thought "what if Clark could go back in time to those awkward years and reassure his younger self?" Glad to know it worked. ^^

Marcus:
Nice one - be interesting to know how different their worlds are in other respects.
Do you mean before or after LnC showed up there? wink

Lynn:

Of course, now I'll never hear the phrase "to be by myself" in quite the same way again.
My work here is done.

Artemis:
The Queen of the Capes and the Mistress of the Short Story strikes again! Your writing gets so much emotion out of a few words, Queenie. Keep it coming!
Aww, thanks! blush

Terry:

At the risk of my man-card, that was quite lovely.
Don't worry; I don't think anyone here is going to take your card away. XD And thanks. smile I wasn't sure at first if this story worked, so I'm glad to know it hit the targets. ^_^

Morgana:
You have to give it to Lois, ever since she met Clark her life has never been dull, but the lady keeps rolling with the punches.
Yeah, once you've agreed to date a man who can fly, you've pretty much signed up for a not-quite-ordinary lifestyle. wink

Mouserocks:

Loved the thing about reading a lot of scifi and saying Lois is the best person he'll ever meet. Adorable! Great job!
Thanks. ^_^

As for whether there will be more...maybe. I've been thinking it over, but it depends on whether my muse will co-operate. :rolleyes:

~•~
Merriwether
Merriwether
A perfectly delightful short story! Brava! You did a marvelous job of dropping the bread crumbs so we learned exactly what we needed to know (that this was another universe, that there were "friends" lost in the woods that would eventually take L&C home, where this Clark was in his powers-development) just when we needed to know it.

Well-plotted, well-written, well-paced. I wouldn't change a word of it. smile (Nor does it cry out for a follow up. We're perfectly capable of filling in the gaps ourselves. smile )

Nice job!

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Clark Kent had gotten enough teasing, growing up, just for being adopted; he wasn't sure he could survive becoming some kind of a freak.
Well, on the plus side, he could now burn those who give him a hazing.

There was a clearing. A woman was standing there, looking away from him. She was brunette, and except for the oversized jacket she wore, she didn't seem to be dressed for winter.
Huh.

The man and the woman shared a look. “Well, this is awkward,” the woman murmured.
Oh boy. Future LnC meet younger Clark.

“It's Valentine's day, isn't it? Shouldn't you be off somewhere with L—uh, with your girlfriend?”
laugh

The woman gave her companion a mildly annoyed look.

“Well, I—he's—at that age,” the man told her. “You already know how it was—is—at that age...”
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree with Kathy and Pam. This is perfect just as it is. A little mystery is a fine thing. Well done, Queenie. smile1

This *is* my happily ever after.
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was GREAT! clap

I love the way that young Clark found the older L&C right when he needed them most.

Perhaps this version of Clark will be a little more assertive when he meets his Lois. twins

Bob

Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Kathy:

A perfectly delightful short story! Brava! You did a marvelous job of dropping the bread crumbs so we learned exactly what we needed to know
Thanks. smile I'm glad it wasn't too confusing. ^_^

Michael:

Glad you liked. smile
Well, on the plus side, he could now burn those who give him a hazing.
I don't think Clark would see that as a plus. wink

Happy:
Well done, Queenie.
Thanks. laugh

Bob:
I love the way that young Clark found the older L&C right when he needed them most.
Indeed. ^_^

Perhaps this version of Clark will be a little more assertive when he meets his Lois.
I hadn't thought of that, actually. More confident, yes, but I don't really know whether that would make him more assertive.

Thanks for the comments, guys. smile

~•~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard