Part II

Her meeting with Bobby Bigmouth was not as fruitful as she had hoped.

“I tell you, Lois…,” he said between bites. “Your Uncle Mike is a culinary god.”

“Bobby, this is important,” she stated impatiently. “Have you heard anything about Clark?”

“Besides the fact that he’s in love with you?” he asked, still munching away.

“I’m sorry, what?” she sputtered.

At her shocked look, he replied, “It’s obvious, Lois. But that’s not why you’re here, is it? What’s wrong?”

Deciding to ignore his comments, she got to the point. “Clark’s missing, Bobby. I was the last one to talk to him, and that was yesterday morning.”

“I haven’t heard anything about a missing reporter. The big players are keeping a low profile for now. The bombing really changed the game, and no one is looking to arouse the suspicion of law enforcement at the moment. Are you sure Clark isn’t doing one of his regular disappearing acts?”

“How does everyone know about that?” she asked in exasperation.

“What kind of snitch would I be if I didn’t know things?” In the face of her death stare, he added, “You’ve complained about it once or twice.”

“I’m sure he’s missing, Bobby. Clark always leaves messages if he will be gone for a long time. I’m really worried.”

“I can tell. Look, Clark’s a good guy. If I hear anything that might lead you to Clark, I’ll get in touch with you immediately.”

“Are you sure someone isn’t after Clark for his testimony in the Baby Rage case?”

“I’ve been keeping a lookout for you on that one, Lois. There’s been nothing. I’m telling you…that bombing has everyone spooked. The cops who used to stay away from certain regions of the city now diligently patrol the streets. They’ve even called off the hit on you.”

“That’s comforting, I guess, but that bombing was connected to the follow-up Intergang story that Clark and I were working on before he disappeared. Have you heard anything that might help?”

“I’ve heard rumors of someone with the codename ‘Caesar’, but that’s it. Apparently he likes the thrill of conquest, and he’s looking to expand his territory.”

“What do you know about Bill Church?”

“The Cost Mart guy?”

“Yes. Clark and I noticed some patterns which seem to link Cost Mart stores to the spread of Intergang. Also, Church had business dealings with Martin Snell.”

“Yeah, the scumbag lawyer who got himself blown to bits. That actually makes sense. I did hear some rumors of some less-than-legitimate shipments being filtered through some Cost Marts upstate, but those sources aren’t usually very reliable.”

“When was this?”

“A few months back. Nothing recent.”

“What about the Grand Opening here?”

“No. Well, wait a minute. ‘Caesar’ was rumored to be expanding his territory to the Southside. Someone’s been buying up property there pretty fast.”

“And Church mentioned that his chain was expanding to the Southside to help rejuvenate the area. It’s not something we can print, but I don’t believe in coincidences.”

“Smart girl. Still, I think I would have heard something about Clark if they were after him. Not much goes on that I don’t know about,” he told her reassuringly.

“Thanks, Bobby. I’ll follow up on this. Let me know if you hear anything that might be useful.”

“Yep. Just keep the good food coming.”

Disappointed and frustrated, Lois headed back to the Planet in hopes of finding some new leads. Bobby had some useful information on Intergang, and it made her feel a little better that the scumbags of the world didn’t seem to be after Clark. However, Clark was still missing. Maybe Clark’s computer files contained something useful. Surely, he wouldn’t go on an extended stakeout without her.

Arriving at such a late hour, it didn’t take her long to spot her young friend hard at work on his computer. “Jimmy,” she yelled urgently. “Did you find anything in Clark’s files?”

“Nothing that jumped out at me. He has some ideas about Intergang, but nothing concrete. Maybe you can find something that I missed,” he said, handing her a printout of Clark’s recent files.

“Is Superman back yet?” she asked hopefully. “I’d love to have his help on this.”

“No, Lois. He’s been working nonstop helping to locate and rescue survivors. Apparently, it’s pretty bad over there.”

Superman, where are you when I need you?

“Well, let’s get to work,” she said with determination. “We will find Clark and bring him back safely with or without Superman.”

Diving in to the task, Lois quickly checked her messages to no avail. She called all the hospitals searching for someone matching Clark’s description. When those efforts failed to produce new leads, Lois pounded her desk with her fist in frustration. “Where are you, Clark?”

“Do you think we should call his parents?” Jimmy asked. “They might know something that would help.”

Pondering his question for a moment, Lois shook her head. “No, Jimmy. If they knew anything, they would have called me. I don’t want to worry them when we have no concrete evidence whatsoever.”

“Hi, kids,” Perry interrupted, his voice full of concern. “Do you have any leads?”

“No, Chief,” Lois responded. “It’s like he has simply ceased to exist. No one’s seen him or heard anything that would suggest that he is in danger. Bobby did have some more information on the Intergang case, but he swears no one is after Clark. Do you have any sources that might be of help?”

“I’ve already got feelers out, darlin’. I’m just waiting to hear back. I hate to have to leave you here tonight, but my presence is required at a shindig with Franklin Stern. The investors want some assurances, and Stern left me no room for negotiation. I’ve directed my sources to call you if they can’t get in touch with me.”

“I appreciate that, Perry,” she said, the worry evident in her face.

“We will find him, honey,” he told her, drawing her into his embrace.

Struggling to compose herself in the face of his kindness, Lois allowed herself some comfort for just a moment before pulling away.

“Perry, I hate to say this because I know that you consider Bill Church a friend, but, I’ve found some more evidence linking Church to Intergang.”

“Is it anything we can print?”

“No, but the coincidences are mounting. If he is guilty, and he suspects we are on to him….”

“Then he could be behind Clark’s disappearance. Lois, I’ve known the man for many years, and I just don’t see it. Maybe someone in his organization, but not Bill. I trust your instincts, darlin’, but I need for you to be careful. Don’t go in with your guns blazing. Think about it…what good would it do the leader of Intergang to go after Clark at this point?”

“I don’t know, Perry. Maybe he stumbled upon something yesterday. Maybe the gang members decided to go after him in revenge. Maybe he is injured and can’t in touch with us. What I do know is that Clark wouldn’t be gone this long without contacting me unless something was horribly wrong.”

“Do your research, check your sources, but don’t go anywhere without backup. If someone is after Clark, they could very well be after you, too. I promise you that if Bill has anything to do with Intergang or Clark’s disappearance, he will wish he had never met me.”

When Lois didn’t respond, Perry added firmly, “You aren’t going to listen to me, are you?”

“Of course I will, Perry,” she said demurely.

“Oh, no. I’m going to call Franklin Stern right now and tell him I have a family emergency. You aren’t going anywhere by yourself.”

“That’s not necessary. I can take care of myself,” she said, but his eyes told her that he wasn’t swayed.

“Stay here. I’ll be right back,” he told her in a tone that left no room for further argument.

Just then, the phone on her desk rang, and she raced to answer it. “Clark?” she asked hopefully.

“No, it’s Mayson. He hasn’t come back, has he?”

“No,” Lois said flatly.

“Why didn’t you call me? I told you I could help.”

“Have you found something?”

“Not specifically, but there are some files you might want to see. I don’t want to say more over the phone.”

“Can you meet me at Clark’s apartment? I was just about to leave, and his place is on the way.”

“He gave you a key?” Mayson asked in surprise.

“Of course he gave me a key,” Lois lied. “I’ll meet you there in 20 minutes.”

“Where are you going, Lois?” Jimmy asked as he noticed her heading for the elevator with Clark’s notes and her laptop in hand.

“I have to meet a source.”

“Perry told you to stay here,” he warned.

“Since when have I ever followed an order like that?” she asked flippantly.

“Never, but he was serious this time.”

“Look, Jimmy, I don’t have time for this. I need you to stay here and man the phones. If it makes you feel any better, you can tell Perry to meet me at Clark’s place. OK?”

“OK, Lois. Be careful.”

She nodded at him as the doors to the elevator closed.

"Women frustrate men because they're too complicated. Men frustrate women because they're not complicated enough."