Reservations

By VirginiaR.

Rated: G

Description: Missing scene between PML and HiM.

Author’s Note: For those of you not reading “Wrong Clark”, I am posting this for your enjoyment per the encouragement of my Readers. If you’re reading my current epic, Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark , you have (or will) read this. While it doesn’t really have any spoilers for that story (except perhaps timeline-wise), I just wanted to warn you in advance.

“Hello, Miss Lane?” a crisp Bostonian accent said on the line. “This is Mr. Fredericks, General Manager at the Lexor Hotel, I’m sorry to keep you waiting. I understand you have problems with your reservation with us.”

“Yes,” Lois said, lowering her voice so her co-workers wouldn’t overhear her. “Apparently, when I was drugged last week, I called the Lexor and made reservations for the honeymoon suite over Valentine’s Day weekend. I got your confirmation letter in the mail today, and I would like to cancel. I’m not getting married now, or anytime in the near future, and I refuse to pay twelve hundred dollars for the privilege of spending even one night in your hotel.”

She heard the clicking of computer keys from over the line.

“Ah, yes, Miss Lane. Here it is. You and Mr. Kent are to check in this Friday, the eleventh, and check out next Wednesday, the sixteenth, is that not correct?” Mr. Fredericks asked. “This twelve hundred a night charge includes three meals a day, the fully loaded bar in the suite, a bottle of our finest champagne every night, theatre tickets, a scenic tour of Metropolis, twelve dozen bouquets of red roses, a his and hers day at our full-service spa, and a complimentary gift basket.”

“No, no, no! There’s been some kind of mistake,” Lois roared before lowering her voice once more. “The meals, I’ll grant you, make sense, but theatre tickets during a honeymoon? A tour of Metropolis? I’m from Metropolis! I could give a tour. Show me a honeymooning couple out on the town, and I’ll show you people who haven’t just gotten married.”

“Actually, Miss Lane, the theatre tickets and scenic tour are very popular with our out of town guests,” Mr. Fredericks explained.

Figures! “Okay, can you then explain how, if a ‘gift’ basket is included in the cost, it is complimentary?”

“Touché, Miss Lane,” Mr. Fredericks replied. “If we remove the theatre tickets and the tour of Metropolis from the package that lowers the cost to…” Lois heard more typing. “Nine hundred ninety-nine dollars a night, plus tax.”

“But, Mr. Fredericks, I’m not getting married. This reservation was made in error,” Lois grumbled, wanting to yell, but she also didn’t want to have her co-workers overhear her. Thankfully, Clark had run out of the office before Mr. Fredericks had picked up the line.

“You didn’t make this reservation? It seems that the credit card that was given to us has been verified and accepted as yours, Miss Lane,” Mr. Fredericks replied.

“Yes, I made the reservation, Mr. Fredericks, but it was a mistake. Mr. Kent never proposed to me, we were never going to be married. It’s all a dreadful nightmare,” she clarified, her voice rough.

“You thought Mr. Kent had proposed?” Mr. Fredericks questioned in disbelief. “And on that assumption made reservations at our hotel for the twelve hundred dollar a night honeymoon suite?”

“No, Mr. Fredericks. Last week I was part of that group of reporters from the Daily Planet, who were drugged by the love perfume,” Lois defended her actions. “I mistakenly believed that Mr. Kent and I were engaged. I didn’t recall making the reservation until I received your confirmation letter in the mail today. I spoke to your reservations person…” She checked her notes. “Sandy, and she told me I would need your authorization to cancel my reservation.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Lane, for the confusion and for your ordeal, but it is Lexor policy that any hotel packages canceled within the week of the reservation be charged for at least one night’s stay. I will be able to discount the room to six hundred dollars a night due to Mr. Kent’s absence, and reduce your stay to Friday night, but that’s the best I can do,” Mr. Fredericks offered.

“Excuse me! Are you telling me that despite the fact that I made this reservation within this week, taking it off your hands after someone else had canceled it first, and despite the fact I was not in my right mind when I made this reservation, I am still responsible for six hundred dollars?” Lois sputtered. “That’s not even half of the nine hundred and ninety-nine dollar amount you just quoted me!”

“That is our policy, yes, Miss Lane,” said Mr. Fredericks.

“You do realize that I work for the Daily Planet, and that I could write an article about your mistreatment of me in our paper,” she said.

“Do you realize, Miss Lane, that the Lexor Hotel spends well over twenty thousand dollars in advertising revenue in the Daily Planet travel section yearly? Therefore, I doubt your editor will accept your libelous article for publication,” Mr. Fredericks retorted.

Lois swore under her breath, knowing he was probably right. “I should take you to small claims court,” she threatened.

“You could, Miss Lane, where I’m sure you would spend more than six hundred dollars in court fees and attorney costs though.”

Lois swore under her breath. She could bring up the matter with Lex, but the thought of having him intervening on her behalf felt demeaning. “How about you cancel the flowers, the spa day, champagne, and the full bar, along with the theatre tickets, the scenic tour, and included meals, with the exception of one room service dinner and breakfast, and only charge me two hundred and fifty dollars for Friday night’s room, and we call it even?”

“That’s seems acceptable. Should you change your mind and add Mr. Kent back on to the reservation, it would be raised back up to five hundred dollars for the one night, Miss Lane,” Mr. Fredericks said.

“That’s not going to happen. I would like you to fax me a confirmation of this price,” Lois said, giving him her fax number. “And I’ll see you, and my complimentary gift basket, on Friday night.”

“Nice doing business with you, Miss Lane. Good day to you,” Mr. Fredericks said, hanging up the line.

Lois slammed the phone down and called Mr. Fredericks a long list of obscenities under her breath. She folded up her confirmation letter and tucked it into her calendar.

It looked like she would stay at the Lexor for a night of stressful relaxation this Friday. She had a whole night in the honeymoon suite by herself to remember how she wasn't in a perfect relationship full of commitment, affection, and love.

Lucky her.

***The End***

Disclaimer: I don’t own these characters. The characters in this story were created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster as they were portrayed on the Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman television series, developed by Deborah Joy LeVine. I borrow them from time to time from Warner Bros, DC Comics, and the heirs to Siegel and Shuster, when they invade my psyche and demand I write what they tell me. Although I didn’t use any direct dialogue from “Pheromone, My Lovely” was written by Deborah Joy LeVine, and “Honeymoon In Metropolis” was written by Dan Levine, I wanted to credit the writers for inspiring this vignette.

Gratitude: Many thanks to my super wonderful Betas: Mrs. Luthor and IolantheAlias, for their inspiration, motivation, and grammar checks. I would also like to thank Ultra Woman (Andreia) for encouraging me to post this for everyone else.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.