Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
hyper ? Now Lex and Arianna are both out of the picture.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Tonight, he would ask Lois Lane to be his wife.
I just hope she says no.

He was confident that she would accept his proposal. With his contacts and his position on the board of LNN, he could give her a much bigger and more influential platform for crusading journalism than even the Daily Planet could provide.
I don't think he understand Lois. I don't think she would like working at LNN, least of all as Luthor's wife.

Her rapidly growing business acumen could help him run his businesses both more efficiently and more compassionately.
Which I don't think Lois would enjoy.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I can not be hyper that Lex is dead.

It was hard to believe Lex was good, and if I had not started by readin the note at the start of this third part in the trilogy, I would have suspected him as much as Clark, believed him a criminal until the end of the second story.

I also have cheered for Lois and Clark loudly. I am glad Lois decided not to accept Lex's proposal. I understand why she said yes him in death.

I am hoping we get to see Lois and Clark together again soon.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terry,

An elegant solution all around. Kudos!

Asabi will keep the secret, he may even ask to be Lois and Clark's servant after they are wed. I could see Asabi being Alfred to the super duo.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow. Lex doesn't care if Lois loves him. It's very important to him that *he* loves *her*, but not a fleeting thought in his internal monologue for the reverse. All of his reasons that she should be willing to marry him are based on benefits. Many of those benefits relate to the greater good rather than personal gain, but still.

That's... wow. It's kind of over-eager creepy high-school puppy-love stalker-ish.

For all his worldliness, Lex had some growing up to do.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story and a satisfying ending (well, almost).
Hopefully a more joyous part is next.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
John, I'm glad you're not glad that Lex is dead. I just couldn't see any other way out of this relationship. As you mentioned, he really didn't understand Lois if he was thinking of their pending marriage as more of a business deal than a romance.

Ken, you can see Asabi as their Alfred? I never thought of that. Not a bad idea, although as events proceed I think you'll like what happens to him.

Any, you're right that Lex loved Lois more than he cared that she loved him. I didn't intend for him to be stalkerish, but I certain see where you'd get that.

Artemis, thanks for commenting! More joyous? We'll see - or will we? You know I can be evil when the mood strikes me.

Next chapter coming up shortly!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry its taken so long to write this feedback! First of all let me say this part was absolutely brilliant! So many things happening and emotions exploding to the surface. A sad but proper solution to the Lex and Lois question.

She stopped just out of his reach. “You’re still as charming as you ever were, Lex. And just as diplomatic. I know you’d rather cuddle an enraged rattlesnake than see me again, at least in a social gathering.” She indicated the table with her free hand. “Very nice setting. I’d imagine that your lovely young guest will be here shortly.”
The dialogue between these two is amazing. It really sets the tone of the scene, making it more menacing!

“Arianna – “ and he stopped. He couldn’t tell her about Lois’s secret. And he couldn’t let her discover it on her own. The first bullet that hit Lois would reveal Ultra Woman’s true identity to the world, and Lois would never again have a moment’s peace. They would have to isolate Arianna for the rest of her life or kill her, and he couldn’t risk letting Lois make that decision on her own. He had to deal with this situation by himself, and he had to do it before Lois walked out of the elevator.
Lex really is thinking of Lois here. He’s not the creepy character we knew in the series. He wants to keep her and her secret identity safe.

“Oh, please! Psychiatry was simply a means to an end. I used it to get to you and then to your mob contacts in the labor unions, and from them to the Mafia dons in the city. I did the rest of it myself, including the elimination of my competition. Did you know that I was the one who wiped out the leaders of the three major gangs two years ago?”
Aha! So Lex Luthor is not as squeaky clean as we thought he was! Arianna is one power hungry board…

She still didn’t know if her clothing sent the right signals. Asabi had been more than polite when he’d picked her up at her apartment and had spoken easily with her, discussing the weather and sports and Asabi’s recent escrima exhibition, but she wasn’t dressing for him. She’d modeled three dresses, five different blouse-skirt combinations, and four pantsuits before deciding on dark slacks with a spiffy pastel blouse and low heels. Yet she still wasn’t sure it was the appropriate outfit for the ordeal she knew she would undergo tonight.
The pantsuit outfit Lois decides to wear speaks volumes. Any woman who has a hint that the man she loves is going to pop the question, will break her neck to look absolutely smashing! Oh yeah… that’s right, she’s not in love with this man…

Even so, the prospect of marriage to Lex – becoming Lois Lane-Luthor – neither filled her with giggly anticipation nor gripped her heart with cold dread. While Lex was, and always had been, a pleasant companion, an excellent dancer, and an interesting conversationalist, he didn’t knock her shoes off when he kissed her. The thought of spending time with him didn’t fill her heart with fluttery joy the way the thought of spending time with Clark did.
Ouch! Sorry Lex. The better man or in this case, Superman, won.

Killing people was so satisfying, Arianna mused, that it was a shame she got to do it so seldom.
Needless to say, she’s crazy.

Then Lois lifted her tear-tracked face to Arianna and stared at her with malevolent intent. Arianna stepped back as Lois stood up and turned to face her.
Instead of answering, Lois reached out and grasped Arianna’s jacket in one hand and pulled her closer. “You killed Lex, Arianna. Now I’m going to kill you.”
Sooner or later we all run across someone who's just a tad better than we are. Arianna has met her match.

Well written! Expect my nomination for a Kerth!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

Thanks, Morgana. Your thoughts on Lex were quite penetrating. He was, all at the same time, a good man and a not-so-good man, an unselfish man who thought of the danger to Lois' identity before the danger to himself and one with "mob contacts" and the moxie to use them. I would think that his business interests took an upward path once the gangs were out of the way and before Arianna began slicing chunks out of his profits.

Apparently Lois' reaction was pretty close to being in character, since no one objected to her reaction to Arianna killing Lex - especially the way she did it. There will be more of her thoughts on the subject later, but not too many and not too detailed, because it's time for her to move on from this detour in her life.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard