OP Offline
Pulitzer
comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Really, Clark? Is that the answer to all of your ex-girlfriend problems? You set them all on dates with other men? [Linked Image] evil Ooooh. Are you going to make Mayson try to get Lois killed? Make her a nasty ex-girlfriend? Nah, probably not.

Thanks for making James Olsen stand up to Clark and Lois and give them a hard time for Lois disappearing before. Can't make life too easy for those Kents.

Dan Scardino. Wow, you've made him into quite a slimebucket. Asking out a married Lois. <<shakes head>> And *this* is the prime meat Clark thinks he should set up with Mayson.

MAYSON: Thanks, Clark. Thanks a lot. Tells me how much you really care.

So, they're aren't keeping the marriage a secret. Wonder when it will hit the fan? I'm guessing the next day when the front page of the DP announces, Superman Marries! <<Olsen would be an idiot to let that scoop by, even if Clark is one of his employees>>

It's been a while since we've been in alt-dimension, but can you refresh our memories on what happened to this Lex? Did Miranda kill him? There have been so many Lex's over the Volumes I've forgotten what happened to this one. For some reason, I thought he was still around but Clark made some reference otherwise.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

Setting up the ‘other’ women with other men. It worked with Lana, why not give it a try. Also it worked in that other universe where she was supposed to die.

It was better for them to call her than for her to see their joint byline in the next edition don’t you think?

I get the feeling that Lois is going to run interference, don’t you? She is quite capable.

Dan is quite the dog isn’t he? Not all that different in any universe.

Why Dan? Don’t forget, when Clark was on that mission where he saved Mayson she did wind up with him and that only took a day or so. Who knows what a longer association could do. All it took before was him taking a bullet meant for her. Let’s see how this works out. Besides, do you think it would be a case of “Mayson, Daniel … Daniel, Mayson. Have a nice life together” I don’t think so, that wouldn’t be … subtle.

Headline “Superman Marries!!!” I don’t think so. No, they are not keeping it a secret but there will be some discretion used and it will not be a banner headline. Low key is the watchword.

Let’s see, you asked about Luthor. Way back in Volume 4 while Clark was working at the local Planet office in Brazzaville a notice came in over the wire service that the Newtrich sisters had sliced and diced him with their laser at the White Orchid Ball. The timing of the laser attack was different in Alt 1 and its offshoots as well as the motive. Superman wasn’t around yet so he wasn’t the target. It was simply revenge against Luthor that was the motive. That was how the authorities discovered his involvement in the rackets.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was really a great part!

Loved the way James Olsen is portrayed here. He's not afraid of Clark and treats him just like any other employee. He was not willing to accept Lois back into the bullpen simply because she walked in with Clark.

Mayson's character was mishandled in my opinion, it would have been neat to have a connection in the District Attorney's office. Perhaps in this universe she and Scardino will get together. After all, if Lois can be friends with Lana, she ought to be able to get along with Mayson.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

Yes, a contact in the DA's office probably would be a good thing. Will Mayson be the one? I guess only time will tell.

Now, as far as how Mayson and Lois will get along ... That could be a problem. With Lana ... Lana had broken the engagement. It was, to Mayson, only the week before that she was trying to bed Clark. For her this is rather sudden. How would you feel if your boyfriend leaves for the weekend and comes back on Monday married to another woman. Even if he had warned you that it might happen to have the reality thrust into your face ... Well it wouldn't make for a good day to say the least.

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KenJ:
How would you feel if your boyfriend leaves for the weekend and comes back on Monday married to another woman. Even if he had warned you that it might happen to have the reality thrust into your face ... Well it wouldn't make for a good day to say the least.
Especially, if he announces that fact over the phone, on speaker phone with the wife there, instead of in person, and then tries to set you up with another (and slimey) man.

Me thinkith that Clark and Lois will definitely have a Mayson problem on their hands. evil Great evil set-up, Ken.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This is really getting to me. I think you have confused the FBI with the Secret Service.

The FBI is part of the Justice Department, not the Department of the Treasury. Of course, the FBI would want in on this investigation. It would be because they investigate organized crime through RICO. So their role makes sense, but not particularly because money is involved and not because of the Treasury Department.

The US Secret Service does investigate counterfiting and major fraud, but I am not sure the crimes involved here would rise to that level.

I also have to admit that I am shocked that Lois did not mess up and call Mr. Olsen "Jimmy".

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Really, Clark? Is that the answer to all of your ex-girlfriend problems? You set them all on dates with other men? [Linked Image] evil Ooooh. Are you going to make Mayson try to get Lois killed? Make her a nasty ex-girlfriend? Nah, probably not.

Thanks for making James Olsen stand up to Clark and Lois and give them a hard time for Lois disappearing before. Can't make life too easy for those Kents.

Dan Scardino. Wow, you've made him into quite a slimebucket. Asking out a married Lois. <<shakes head>> And *this* is the prime meat Clark thinks he should set up with Mayson.

MAYSON: Thanks, Clark. Thanks a lot. Tells me how much you really care.

So, they're aren't keeping the marriage a secret. Wonder when it will hit the fan? I'm guessing the next day when the front page of the DP announces, Superman Marries! <<Olsen would be an idiot to let that scoop by, even if Clark is one of his employees>>

It's been a while since we've been in alt-dimension, but can you refresh our memories on what happened to this Lex? Did Miranda kill him? There have been so many Lex's over the Volumes I've forgotten what happened to this one. For some reason, I thought he was still around but Clark made some reference otherwise.
Actually if I remember correctly the Newtrich Sisters killed Lex, just after Miranda had infected her and he fell madly in love with Mayson Drake. That was back when Clark was just out of college and not yet in Metropolis, when he was also hiding out in the Congo just after Lois died.

I also have to second that Scardino is a sleaze-ball. Asking Lois out before he saw the ring was one thing, but trying to get her to still go after seemed to be trying to lure her into an affair. Worse yet, it almost seems he is really only scared because he knows that CK=SM. If he didn't know that fact, he might not even give up the chase when learning the husband was there.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
To continue the getting on Clark's case. If you know your boyfriend is a Super-powered being who can be anywhere on earth within minutes, his failure to speak to you about his marriage in person would be even more galling.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I also have to wonder about Lois saying Clark carrying her will be like old times of him carrying her. In old times wasn't the first Clark who died who was carrying her? I am surprised that she can think of that without at least a little sadness and missing of him.

John Pack Lambert
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi John,

I will be getting back to both Virginia and you in more detail but I wanted to clear up one thing.

The FBI is under treasury. The secret service is the politician's bodyguards. Originally they were actually nicknamed T-Men and then it was generalized as G-Men. It has alternately been called simply The Bureau but nowadays they prefer the full acronym FBI.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, John has a point about Scardino being a 'snake in the grass'. Somehow, I don't see him and Mayson getting together in any way, shape or form.

Couldn't you get Mayson to meet a nice guy in the Governor's office?

She deserves better than Scardino!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
The Secret Service is the main government agency specifically involved with money crimes, such as counterfeiting and securities fraud. That said, money laundering comes under RICO and thus the FBI, so the FBI getting involved makes sense, but the FBI is not part of treasury.

While it is true they are most known for prodviding security for the president, they also have the job of hunting down people who counterfeit money. job. Actually, they are not part of Tresury anymore either. In 2003 they were moved to the Department of Homeland Security, but they were in the treasury.

The FBI has always been part of the justice department. As my trusty World Book says "The is the investigative arm of the United States department of justice". They work closely with the United States district attorney's offices to inveigate crimes that the district attorneys offices then prosecute.

Of course since this is alt-world, the FBI can be different. Still, in our world the FBI is part of the judtice department.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm going to have to side with John here, Ken. According to Wikipedia , the Secret Service:

Today the agency's primary investigative mission is to safeguard the payment and financial systems of the United States. These include crimes that involve financial institution fraud, computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers and money laundering as it relates to the agency's core violations. After the 1901 assassination of President William McKinley, Congress also directed the Secret Service to protect the President of the United States. Protection remains the other key mission of the United States Secret Service.
I've always heard it was the Secret Service which handles counterfitting. They may call in the FBI if there are other aspects to a case, but don't try to take the money away from Secret Service. They don't like it. wink

It also says the Secret Service was:

Until March 1, 2003, the Service was part of the United States Department of the Treasury
Now, they're under Homeland Security.

VirginiaR.
---
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I bow to your superior knowledge. My sources were misinformed.

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks to each of you. I think I finally figured out where the confusion came from. I must have been thinking about the Coast Guard which until recent years had been under Treasury. It too has been moved to HS.

I will be correcting that before submitting to the archive.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hold on Ken. Remember Alt 1 takes place in the 1990's. Don't use today's organization for your story. There is no Homeland Security in this universe. Run the changes by your betas.
advisedly
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Artemis,

That is an excellent point. In the alternate universe the FBI could be a function of Treasury along side of the Coast Guard.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can never stop digging for info. I found the Homeland Security current org chart. The Secret Service and Coast Guard are part of HS, but the FBI is not. Interestingly, the President appoints both the FBI Director and the Secret Service Director. In Washington, this means they have independence from the Secretary of Homeland Security if they want to exercise it. It's more of a coordination effort than direct command by the Secretary.

The FBI was and is under the Attorney General in the Department of Justice (DOJ). A great site, better than the FBI site, is this: http://people.howstuffworks.com/fbi1.htm

See below:

[Linked Image]
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Actually my take on the whole thing is that the Tresury angle is not really needed.

What appears to be going on is some sort of organized crime. That sounds like it probably runs afoul of RICO. That would bring it onto the radar of FBI, or at least make it a potential item.

The whole matter would catch FBI attention, especially if they were told. So bringing in the FBI makes perfect sense.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard