Clark and Lois - Hope Realized - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 5 16/25
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ denotes telepathic communication/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 New universe called Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Clark and Lois – Hope Realized - The Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 5

Previously:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Back in Brazzaville they headed for the marina. Stopping at a market on the way they bought some groceries. When they got to the marina Clark led Lois to the Ubuntu and they went aboard.

He stood at the wheel and rested a hand on it with a very pensive expression and said to Lois, “You know, I bought this vessel so that she and I could follow the arms up the river. She and I had some good times on this boat. Now we need to make it ours.” With a note of determination in his voice he finished, “We can make some memories of our own on it. Ready to start?”

Lois replied, “You’re going to have to teach me. I know literally nothing about boating.”

Clark winked at her. “She said the same thing, but she caught on quickly. I’m sure you will too. Okay, let’s start with the basics. Do you know about Port and Starboard?”

“That would be left and right when facing the bow.”

With a smile he said, “See, you know more than you let on! Okay, we'll save the formal lessons until we are out on the river. Let's cast off and get under way."

They did just that and shortly were out of sight of Brazzaville they found a quiet section of the river. Clark hove to and put the anchor out. He asked, "Feel like a swim?"

Giggling, Lois responded, "I didn't bring a suit!"

Smiling very broadly, Clark replied, "That's okay. Neither did I."

Lois floated up a hundred feet and spun around in a circle checking the horizon. Seeing no one else anywhere nearby, she floated back down on deck and spun out of her clothes. After admiring this view, Clark did the same and they both dove into the water.

They met underwater and started kissing and just stayed there for a while since they each could hold their breath for about twenty minutes. When they finally came to the surface Lois shouted, "Race you to shore and back. Last one back cooks," as she took off at superspeed.

He kept up with her, but just barely. She was every bit as fast as he was and she was able to maintain her lead. When they got back to the boat he continued to chase her and she allowed him to until she caught him and, laughing all the while, he floated them back onboard. He led her into the cabin and into the accommodations. Picking her up, he laid her on the bunk. Lying down next to her he started another kiss while he fondled her breasts.

Lois softly said, "You already know how sensitive they are. If you keep that up you're going to have to do more than that because that isn't going to be enough.” Her hips began a little dance of their own volition.

As Clark continued to fondle her breasts he said, "I'm counting on it." That started a period of marital intimacy. When they were finished Lois simply let out a very contented sigh and sleepily said, "I think I just want to lay here with my naked husband by my side and take a nap. That was *wonderful*!" She reached up and put her hand over his and encouraged him to continue fondling her breasts even as she said this.

Eventually his hand stilled and they both drifted off to sleep.

They spent two days honeymooning on the Ubuntu before returning to Brazzaville. They stopped by Jacques' office and picked up a copy of their marriage certificate and thanked him. Then they went to the hospital and Doctor M'benga had the records they had requested ready. They thanked him and took copies of those as well. Once they had all of these they found a secluded area to spin change into their uniforms and flew back to Smallville.

It was time to return to Metropolis.

And now:

Chapter 15 – Back to Work
Monday, March 17, 1997
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

On Monday Clark and Lois went in to the Planet. When they arrived at the Planet as they were exiting the elevator, Clark saw Mr. Olsen out in the bullpen. He had Lois by the hand as he led her down the ramp and over to him. He approached Mr. Olsen and said, “Mr. Olsen, I believe that you will remember Lois Lane. She was here with us briefly a few years ago.”

The look on his face was unreadable as Mr. Olsen looked at Clark and Lois and said, “Can we go into my office?” Without waiting for any acknowledgement he turned on his heel and headed for his office.

They followed him and as they entered behind him, he said to Clark, “Please close the door after you.”

Once the door was closed he sat behind his desk and addressed them. Anger was evident in his voice as he said, “Yes, Clark, I remember Lois Lane. I also remember that I offered her, her old job back. I seem to recall also that she accepted and asked to be partnered with you so that she could get ‘up to speed’. Furthermore, I recall that that didn’t last very long and she disappeared again, without any notice I might add.”

Clark put up his hands defensively and said, “Please don’t jump to conclusions and hear me out. Her disappearance can be easily explained. If you recall, we were told that she had been in a coma and suffering from amnesia. She hadn’t completely recovered and she had a relapse. I’ve been spending all of my spare time looking for her and I finally found her. She is completely recovered now. I will vouch for her and ask that you give her, her old job back and partner her with me, on a permanent basis.”

Mr. Olsen was skeptical. Looking at Lois he said, “Once burned, twice cautious. I don’t plan on being burned again. What kind of guarantee can you give me that you won’t relapse again and leave me high and dry?”

Clark answered for her, “The best guarantee there is.” He held up her left hand with his and displayed their rings before saying, “We’re married.”

To say the very least, Mr. Olsen was floored. He almost stuttered as he said, “Well, congratulations! Why didn’t you say that in the first place?”

Clark replied, “With all due respect sir, you didn’t give me a chance.”

Mr. Olsen, properly chagrined, turned to Lois and asked, “Sorry. Okay, how soon can you start?”

Lois replied, “There’s no time like the present. Can I have the desk next to Clark?”

This fit in with everything that Perry White had told him about Lois Lane. Take no prisoners and jump right into whatever she was doing. He chuckled as he replied, “That will be fine. By the way, have the two of you given enough thought to this? I mean, the notoriety, the possibility that someone could try to hurt Superman by hurting you?”

Clark and Lois both smiled at each other before Clark answered, “Rest assured that we’ve considered every angle. We are going to be moving out of my apartment and commuting to work from a remote location. I inherited my parent’s farm in Smallville, Kansas and we will be living there.” If you need us you can call one of our cell phones, that way anyone trying to find us will have to work to find us. Aside from that, Lois has an extra edge, she happens to be a Brown Belt in Tae Kwan Do. She can take care of herself.”

“Well, it sure sounds like you’ve covered all of the bases. Get out of here and get to work. Welcome back Lois. Is it Lois Lane or Lois Kent?”

“We hadn’t really decided on that.” She looked at Clark for his approval. He nodded and she continued, “I think it’ll be Lois Lane-Kent. That way, professionally, I can still be Lois Lane. I’ll use Lois Lane-Kent on my employment papers.”

Mr. Olsen said, “I’ll notify personnel and have them contact you. IT will get you set up with computer access.”

“Thank you Mr. Olsen. I, we won’t let you down.” Lois and Clark both stood and exited his office. They went to Clark’s desk and she took the chair next to it as they talked. She said, “So far so good. We made it over that hurdle. Okay, what were you working on before you left on your missions?”

The memory of where exactly things had stood when he left suddenly hit him. She could tell by the look on his face that there was a potential problem. She asked, “Okay, what is it? What did you leave hanging, or should I say, who did you leave hanging?”

A look of deep mortification took over his features. He asked, “Remember I told you that I was in a relationship with Mayson before I left? I did tell her that when I returned that I would probably have Lois with me. What do you think? Should I give her a call?”

Lois asked, “What was the investigation that you were on at the time and when was it?”

Clark frowned in thought before he said, “I’ve been gone on these missions so long it seems like it was two years ago, but, really, it was last week. This time traveling can be confusing.”

Lois said, “Okay, so it was last week that Mayson told you that she loves you.”

“Ouch. Yeah, it was last week.”

“Does she know about time travel?”

“Yes. I told her about the original Lois from Prime convincing me to be Superman. I told her I was going off on these missions and that time travel would be involved. I even warned her there was a possibility that I could be lost in time. She offered to go with me so that she didn’t lose me. This isn’t going to be pretty”

“Okay, I think we are both going to have to go see her. We will explain to her that while you were away on your missions you were gone for almost two years. Long enough for you to find me and for us to fall in love and get married even though for her it has only been less than a week.”

Clark snapped his fingers and said, “I just had a thought. On one of my missions I was able to save Mayson’s life when she was supposed to be killed by a car bomb. In order to distract her from her pursuit of that Clark Kent I matched her up with a DEA Agent by the name of Daniel Scardino. I wonder if there is a Scardino in this universe.” He turned to his computer and did a search against that name. He clicked on entry after entry until he found one that looked like the one he was looking for. He smiled broadly and said, “Bingo! Found him. He’s an FBI agent in this universe. The case we were working on dealt with organized crime, drugs, prostitution and the like with money laundering. That could possibly fall under treasury and therefore the FBI. Let me give the Bureau a call and see if Agent Scardino is available.” Clark checked the number and dialed. When the phone was answered he asked, “Is Agent Scardino assigned to this office?”

The receptionist said, “Hold please.” After waiting a few seconds she came back on the line and said, “Transferring.”

He heard a few clicks and then the phone was picked up, “FBI, Daniel Scardino, how may I help you?”

Clark spoke up, “Agent Scardino, this is Clark Kent, I’ve been working with Mayson Drake in the DA’s office on a case which might just interest you. Could we meet?”

You could hear the surprise in his voice as Scardino asked, “Did you say, Clark Kent, as in Superman?”

Chuckling he said, “Yes, as in Superman. I’ve been helping the police and working with the DA’s office on this case. It involves money laundering from drug sales and other crimes. Would the Bureau be interested in this investigation?”

Daniel replied, “The bureau is interested in anything dealing with money. Where do you want to meet?”

Clark suggested, “Why don’t you come to the Daily Planet? We can meet in our conference room.”

Scardino said, “I have some paperwork to complete. Let’s say, in an hour.”

Clark replied, “One hour, that will be fine. We’ll see you then.”

Scardino was curious, “Who will be there, the ADA and you?”

Clark replied, “No, just my partner and me.”

Scardino said, “Partner, I didn’t know you had a partner. I always thought you worked alone. All I’ve ever seen in the Planet is a solo byline.”

Clark replied, “We were just teamed up today.”

Scardino said, “To be teamed up with you, that person must be something special.”

Clark replied with a wink at Lois, knowing she could hear both sides of the conversation, “You don’t know the half of it.”

Scardino replied, “I’ll see you in an hour,” and hung up the phone.

An hour later Scardino showed up. As soon as he exited the elevator, Clark recognized him and standing up signaled to him. Lois saw the motion and joined Clark as he led the way to the conference room.

After they were inside and the door closed Clark performed the introductions, “Daniel Scardino, my partner, Lois Lane.”

Daniel was stunned and couldn’t stop staring at Lois as he said, “Pleased to meet you. I see what you mean, she is something special.” Speaking to Lois he said, “You know, you have the most magnificent eyes,” in a wistful tone.

Lois blushed prettily and said, “Thank you. You’re too kind.”

Scardino, defensively said, “No, I mean every word of it.”

Clark asked, “Can we get down to business here?”

Properly chastened Scardino said, “Yeah, down to business. What do you have?”

Clark started, “I’ve been working with ADA Mayson Drake on this case. So far we have a chain of dry cleaning laundries which are acting as clearing houses for monies collected from drug sales, prostitution and probably other crimes as well. It’s part of the old Lex Luthor network. If you don’t mind, I’d like to call in ADA Drake so that she can fill you in on all of the details.”

Scardino replied, “Could we do that tomorrow? I basically wanted this to be a meet and greet. I have another appointment to get to. Shall we meet here or at the DA’s office?”

Clark replied, “Let’s meet here. I’ll set up a time with ADA Drake and call your office with a time.”

Scardino said, “I have another meeting in a little while. I just have time for lunch.” He turned to Lois and said, “What say we ditch this guy and go out to lunch?”

Holding up her left hand and looking happily at her wedding ring she smiled. She displayed the ring to Scardino before she replied, “I don’t think my husband would like that.”

Scardino replied, in a bantering tone, “He’ll never know. I won’t say anything.”

Continuing to joust with him, Lois replied, “Oh, but he already knows that you asked me out, and that you want me to ditch him.”

Scardino paled. He looked at Clark and said in an incredulous tone, “You’re married to your partner?”

With a deadpan expression Clark said, “No one else.”

Deflated, Scardino as headed for the door he said, “Fine, just let me know. My calendar is open tomorrow.”

After he was out the door Lois walked over to Clark and put her arms around his neck and gave him a quick kiss before she said, teasingly, “Should I have taken him up on his offer? I think he had a thing for me.”

He replied, “I’m just glad that we’re already married. He was a problem in the Lois and Clark relationships in any number of universes. I was able to pair him off with Mayson on one of my missions though. We’ll have to wait and see. Okay, we have one piece of the puzzle in place. Now we need to see about the next piece.” He moved over to the conference room phone and placed a call to Mayson’s office. He put it on speaker after he dialed.

When Mayson answered the tone in her voice was such that it was obvious she was down in the dumps. One could hear that her world had literally collapsed and she was dispirited. “District Attorney’s Office, Assistant Drake, how may I help you?”

Clark, almost hesitantly said, “Hello Mayson, it’s Clark.”

The change in tone in her voice was dramatic. Immediately she brightened and her whole demeanor changed. She almost shouted for joy, “Clark! Where are you? When did you get back? How long were you away? When can I see you? I’ve missed you even if you *were* only gone over the weekend.”

Clark was cautious as he replied, “Uh, Mayson, I am at the Planet and I’ve been gone for almost two years. A lot can happen in that amount of time. As for when you can see me, that’s what I’m calling about. I just had a meeting with an FBI Agent about the case we’ve been working on. Since it deals with monetary transactions I thought that the Treasury Department should get involved. What time are you available for a meeting tomorrow?”

She was picking up from his tone how guarded he was being. She clearly remembered what he had told her before he left and started adding two plus two and not liking the answer she was getting to with that extremely simple math problem. That dispirited tone was reentering her voice as she said, “Two years?!?! I guess a lot can change in that amount of time. People can change.” Deciding to confront her fears she said, “I’m free between ten and two. Will I be meeting Lois as well as the FBI Agent?”

Clark was actually relieved when he heard this question. He said, “Yes, Mayson, you will be. I’m sorry, but, you knew that was a possibility when I left.”

Her worst fears being confirmed the dispirited tone was back in her voice as Mayson said, “Yeah, I knew, but knowing it could happen and having it actually happen are two different things.” She thought for a few seconds and then continued, “Clark, just what are the Kryptonian customs regarding marriage? Could she and I both be …”

Clark interrupted her, “No! uh, no Mayson, no, Kryptonians are monogamous.”

Lois spoke up for the first time and said, “Sorry Mayson, even if they weren’t, I don’t want to share. Clark and I were just meant to be. We can’t get past that. At this point we are planning to have a life together. I would like to be friends though, that is, of course, if you’ll let me.”

Mayson replied, “I don’t know. I don’t know if I can do that.”

Clark spoke up, “Mayson, please, I’m sorry it worked out this way for you. I’d like to help. Give me a chance. Please come for the meeting tomorrow.”

She replied, “Okay, I’ll be there. What time?”

Clark replied, “Ten o’clock.”

Mayson replied, “Okay, ten o’clock it is. Where?”

“Here at the Planet.”

“Okay, Planet, ten o’clock. Got it. I guess I’ll be seeing you then.” She hung up.

Clark let out a long breath, “Well, that actually went better than I had expected.”

Surprised, Lois said, “It did??? I thought it went horribly! I have to say, I do feel sorry for her. We’ve been together now for several months and I know just how addictive you are.” She reached over and took his hand in hers. “She was with you for a lot longer time. She’s going to need time to go through the withdrawal symptoms. How can we make it easier on her?”

“Ahhhh, that’s where Scardino comes in. You see, as I said, I managed to get them together in another universe. The problem is that the big change didn’t happen until he saved her life. From that point on she was his. I don’t know if we’re going to be able to set something like that up here.”

Shocked she asked, “You set that up?”

He was very defensive as he said, “No. by no means. It just happened. I was off dealing with another rescue. I just don’t see how something like that could happen on this investigation.”

“Whew, that’s a relief. I was hoping you wouldn’t do something like that. I would have to think I had misjudged you if you could.”

“Trust me, if I had been anywhere nearby, it wouldn’t have gotten to that point.”

“Okay, where are we on this investigation? Bring me up to speed.”

“Lex Luthor was the main crime boss here in Metropolis. He was killed in late 1992 but segments of his operation are still around. Immediately after his death several groups tried to take over and consolidate control without success. Recently a new organization has moved in. I think it’s Inter-Gang. They were dealing with them in several of the other universes. It’s the same here. The problem is that in this universe they apparently aren’t using Cost-Mart as the front for the organization. It looks like it’s a chain of dry cleaners so I don’t know where to start looking. The other thing is that Bill Church is dead in this universe so it’s someone else heading up the operation, possibly his son, Bill junior.”

Lois asked, “What operations are active?”

“We’ve identified drugs and prostitution so far, but I suspect that robbery and car theft will be linked in as well.”

Lois thought about it for a minute and then said, “What about getting someone on the inside?”

“I thought about that, but I’m too well known. They’d recognize me too easily.”

“What if we disguised you?”

“I guess we could try that. The problem is … where to start.”

“How about, at the beginning? We could pretend to be dealers moving into the territory and see just what response we get.”

“That might just work. We can discuss it with Mayson and Scardino tomorrow morning.”

A sly grin made its appearance as she suggested, “You know we could go either one of two ways. You said drugs and prostitution. I could be a working girl and you could be my pimp.”

His reply was without hesitation, “No way is my wife going to pretend to be a hooker!”

She tried to calm him down, “Wait, now hold on, look at me. Aren’t I attractive enough?”

He cautiously replied, “Well, that goes without saying. You’re the most beautiful woman I know.”

Lois continued to try and press her small advantage, “Is there any man on this planet, present company excluded of course, that could make me do anything I don’t want to do?”

His resolve was dissolving slowly, “Well, no, I guess not since you are super powered.”

She kept pressing, “Right, I’m just as super as you so there is no way anyone other than you can make me do anything I don’t want to do. That being the case, I’m as safe as if I was constantly in your arms, which is right where I want to be. Now, here’s my thought. We may be able to kill a couple of birds with a single stone. If Mayson would be willing to go along with it, she could join me on the street. Scardino could team up with you. I can protect her and you can protect him. If we get into a situation, as long as it isn’t something too dangerous, you could let Daniel handle it. That might bring him close to Mayson. What do you think about that?”

He was weakening and she could tell as he replied, “I still don’t like it and maybe Mayson wouldn’t go along with it and she hasn’t even met Scardino yet.”

“Let’s give it some more thought, okay?”

Reluctantly he gave in, “Okay. We’ll give it some more thought.” They exited the conference room and headed for their desks.

IT had been by and had left a note with her username and temporary password for her computer access so she logged in and changed the password and checked her e-mail, finding only the welcome message, which was all that she had expected.

Just then they both heard a news report on a nearby police scanner about a bank robbery in progress. They both got up and headed for the stairwell. Once inside they both spin changed into their uniforms and Clark stopped and placed a hand on her arm stopping her. He said, “Where do you think you’re going, dressed like that?”

She looked down at herself and realized that through force of habit she had changed into her uniform. Realizing her mistake she spin changed back again into her business suit. Lightly she said, “This is going to take some getting used to.”

Laughing with her he said, “There’s no telling how soon we will announce your presence, but, let’s keep you a secret for as long as we can, okay?”

Still chuckling she replied, “It’s gonna be just like old times with you carrying me! Okay, let’s go.” As they exited the roof door she hopped up in his arms and with a look of pure joy on her face enjoyed the ride to the scene of the crime.

Clark set her down just behind the police cordon before entering the bank. A minute later the doors opened and the bank employees walked out, followed by the robbers, followed by the bank guard who had his gun on the robbers. The police moved in and put the bracelets on the robbers and read them their rights. Lois projected a thought, /What about a getaway vehicle and driver?/

The policeman saw Superman start as if he had been hit by a bat and then saw him start to look around. He said to the nearest policeman, “Wait right here for a minute. There’s one more.”

He flew off in pursuit of a vehicle that had just taken off from the curb near the bank entrance. He stopped the vehicle and extracted the driver. He picked him up and flew him back to the policeman he had spoken to. “Here’s the getaway car driver.”

The officer pulled out his cuffs and as he was putting them on the driver read him his rights.

Clark projected a thought, /Thanks! I almost blew that one./

Lois returned the thought, /Anytime, husband mine./

He replied, /Just for that, I’m gonna let you write this up for the Planet. Your first byline./

/Thank you Clark. That’s sweet of you. Won’t Mr. Olsen be surprised? First day on the job and all./

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 16 – Lucy

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 04:01 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj