T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
mecry

So sad.

What do you think?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terry,

Well done! Rebecca has bowed out gracefully.

Now we need to get rid of Luthor.

Lois has been having second thoughts and if she spurned Luthor there's no telling how he would react other than negatively and with what he knows he could be dangerous to both Lois and Clark.

I still vote for Arianna getting her way and eliminating him. Of course she won't get off scott free.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terry!

Nope, not sad at all. If love does not come naturally, then leave it.

First off, thanks for making this a long in-depth part. Character development of Rebecca over this story arch has been very good. She had grown from a giggly college girl to a mature scientist who knows what she wants...which was to study sea creatures and have Clark as someone to come home to.

As much as I disliked her the character was a breath of fresh air and very realistic.

Honestly, if I were to meet her in the flesh we wouldn't have liked each other, the girl was just too pushy. Clark was right that penguins, sharks and other sea creatures would always be first in her life, Clark and any children they had would be a distant second.

So glad she found that letter. The awkwardness they would have endured if she came out in the towel is too painful to imagine.

At least she realized she shouldn't have thrown herself at Clark so soon after his wife's death and that Lois is the MUCH better choice of a lifemate.

Clark knew all along she was not the woman for him and for the life of me, I don't understand why he kept seeing her.

Clark was wise to reach out to Martha and Jonathan.

Please don't have Arianna kill off Lex! That would be too predictable! grovel

Next part? Do we have to wait a whole week?

OK. I'm going to go stand in a corner now... and wait.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
He pulled her into a hug, which she turned into a long soft kiss, which he returned with less enthusiasm than she would have preferred.
Hmm, maybe he is about to realize that Rebecca is not right for him. I hope he does.

Didn’t your mother tell not to eat anything for at least
I am pretty sure it should be "motehr tell you not".

She was young and alive and beautiful. She was smart and talented and so very full of life. And he was sure that if he asked her to marry him, she’d tackle him and say “yes” so many times she’d deplete the oxygen in the room.
dance another person realizes Clark needs Lois.

The thought stunned her for a long moment, then it resolved itself into a best case scenario. Clark should marry Lois, and not because she was Ultra Woman. Lois was strong enough to stand up to him while she supported him in all of his endeavors, and she was secure enough to accept his help and support for hers. And it would eliminate any problems about Superman making his wife jealous of Ultra Woman. Or vice versa.
This is true. However, I think Lois would be the women for Clark without her being Ultra Women. Even without the incentive of the telepathic link.

She refolded the letter and put it back in the bottom towel. Maybe someday Clark would find it and read it and smile as he remembered Lana.
shock Clark has not found the letter?

They’d applied for supplemental funds and had been turned down because their mission didn’t fit the Superman Foundation’s parameters for funding, but the directors had managed to match them up with another source of funds, which, ironically, was Lana’s organization, Digger Enterprises.
Which is essentially Superman Foundation funds shifted off and reapplied through the living wisdom of Lana Lang Kent.

He’d been okay with Lana traveling for her career, though. The difference was that he knew that he’d been Lana’s top priority.
Yes, that is a big difference.

Even if Lana had been asked to unearth Atlantis and get all the credit and the money and fame that would have come to her, she would have involved Clark in the decision to take that job. And even though Lana hadn’t begun their marriage involving Clark in such decisions, he had no doubt that she’d grown into that mindset before she’d died.
Clark: I am not sure I can go back to being disconnected while in marriage as Lana and I were early on. Plus, Lana loved my deeply in a way that I don't think Rebecca does.

Or that she even knew that Superman *had* a civilian life.
This is the real key to Superman's secret. He acts as if he does not have one.

He seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. “I was starting to get worried about you.”
What Clark really means. "I was starting to get worried you would show up in seductive clothing."

The door latched and she pointed her footsteps toward the elevator, wondering if she were the weakest, the most fragile, and absolutely the dumbest woman who’d ever lived, or if she were one of the strongest and wisest.
I would rate her wise. Selfish at times, but wise in her decision. If she cannot be the grounding support Clark needs, she should not try.

Nothing really worked. He needed to talk to someone. But who?

Duh, Clark. When in trouble, talk to your parents.
I was hoping he would talk to Lois.

John Pack Lambert
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, dang, they both realized it! Nicely done!

The above makes it sound like I didn't experience the emotion of this chapter. But it was quite deep and well done.

Also, I really like this observation: "[Lois would] never let him get away with being anything but the best reporter or hero or man he could be."

Blogger
Blogger
After reading Lana letter and Rebecca coming to her sinces this shows that neither are the right woman for Clark something about Lois just clicks.

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thank you, Ken. I didn't want to beat Rebecca about the head and shoulders with a blunt object to split her away from Clark, but maybe what actually happened was more painful than that. We'll see about Lex next chapter.

Not even a little sad, Morgana? No? Rats. You're right, Rebecca wasn't cut out to be Clark's wife, even disregarding his Superman persona. They never really fit well together. And having Lana "tell" her she wasn't right for him was the best way I could come up with to make sure the break was permanent. I didn't want her to be that girl and refuse to let Clark go. And yes, Clark was staying with her out of guilt or a sense of obligation instead of staying because he loved her.

John, your comments are very perceptive and on target, so let me just confirm some things. I wanted the readers to get the impression that Lana had written this the night she'd been kidnapped and put on the ship with Lois, but since there was no easy way to pinpoint the date without Clark seeing the letter (which I decided not to let him do), it had to remain an impression only (albeit an accurate one). And yes, Becca knows about the telepathic link. She referred to it the night they found out Cat was killed.

Glad you liked the angst, AmyPrime. This part of the writing process is hard for me, and it's something I have to work at. It doesn't flow like my action scenes - for me, writing emotional stuff is more like getting the very last droplet of toothpaste out of the tube.

Thanks for commenting, meradaddy. You're right, neither Lana nor Rebecca is really the right woman for Clark (although I think Lana was closer). We'll have to wait and see if Clark and Lois can find their way to one another.

Next chapter up in minutes! Lots of action in this one.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
Kerth
The letter was incredible.

I like the way Rebecca bowed out. Sometimes, you can't run from the truth any longer.

Let's hope Clark realises that regarding Lois. smile

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard