Top Banana
Comments here please.

Bob

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a fun vignette. clap

I've seen the Santa Claus is Superman idea presented before (e.g., here ), but your time-warping, Superman-as-the-origin-of-Santa-Claus spin on things is new to me, and I love the gentle feel of your tale.

I don't blame the time travelers for wanting to be there. I'd want to be, too.

Well done. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Let me prefice this FDK by saying that I haven't yet see that S5 episode of Smallville as I'm still waiting for the disc from Netflix that probably has it on it.

Clark is so sweet to do this for the children of Metropolis. I'm a bit surprised he would do so as publically as this, or that a fairly synical public <as a world without Santa would be>, who has never heard of Santa Claus would be so willing for such a person to enter their house and leave behind gifts <<especially during Christmas 2001!>>

This story leaves me with many questions. Is this supposed to be canon Clark, a Clark who is publically Superman, or is this a Clark who is only a private "blury" type of Superman? <<I've seen enough previews of later Smallville seasons to know of "The Blur".>>

If the populous of Metropolis (and the world) know about Superman, and not about Santa, I cannot see how Clark doing this would make such beliefs come about. Wouldn't everyone just believe it was Superman, not Santa? I also don't understand how the story would be able to travel into the past to create the story of St Nicholas. I could see parents and grandparents telling their children and grandchildren that Santa had been around when they were children, but I don't understand it would actually produce a rich physical history of him existing at a time when he did not.

Now, if it were a non-public Superman, and Clark did this to solidify the story of Santa <<which already exists and was starting to be forgotten or disbelieved by the younger generations in an internet world>> by giving of himself in this way, and thereby create Utopia, because this tradition is continued by his descendants... clap That would explain why the mayor <<who btw sounds just like the Lex of Smallville>> announces "Santa's" arrival.

Plus, it gives me an extra dizzy I like the story, but I feel like I'm missing a context (background) in which this story is set. Almost as if I've been dropped into this magical world and then taken out again <<Thank you Tempus>>. It has left me with more questions than answers.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Lynn
your time-warping, Superman-as-the-origin-of-Santa-Claus spin on things is new to me, and I love the gentle feel of your tale.
This makes 2 of the last three shorts that I’ve done have time elements. I think it’s time to give that a rest.
I don't blame the time travelers for wanting to be there. I'd want to be, too.

Well done.
Thank you.

Virginia,

I have to admit that seeing your reaction drew me out of “Watcher” mode. I had no idea that this story could generate the questions you mentioned. So, here goes:
Clark is so sweet to do this for the children of Metropolis. I'm a bit surprised he would do so as publically as this, or that a fairly synical public <as a world without Santa would be>, who has never heard of Santa Claus would be so willing for such a person to enter their house and leave behind gifts <<especially during Christmas 2001!>>
This is supposed to be our normal, canon LnC universe. They have the same Santa as we do. Superman is doing this in conjunction with the Superman foundation. All the adults know that this is Superman, but that fact would not be advertised to the children of Metropolis. I visualized this as having started as a thing like “toys for tots” where the gifts were only for needy families. The background story that I didn’t include was that when Superman offered to do the “magical” delivery on Christmas Eve, it expanded to include others as well.
This story leaves me with many questions. Is this supposed to be canon Clark, a Clark who is publically Superman, or is this a Clark who is only a private "blury" type of Superman? <<I've seen enough previews of later Smallville seasons to know of "The Blur".>>
No, this is not “The Blur.” In fact, in Smallville S5 “The Blur” hasn’t been invented yet. This is our Metropolis with our well-established Superman. The only Smallville involvement was the episode that provided the idea. It was not my intent to bring any Smallville elements into this story.
If the populous of Metropolis (and the world) know about Superman, and not about Santa, I cannot see how Clark doing this would make such beliefs come about.
They do know about Santa. That’s what makes the temporal causality loop tricky.

If this doesn’t straighten it all out, I’ll be happy to explain some more. (I do love to explain things. smile )
Plus, it gives me an extra lol to think of Lois as Mrs. Claus.
Now THAT is a thought that deserves some consideration.

Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This is supposed to be our normal, canon LnC universe. They have the same Santa as we do. Superman is doing this in conjunction with the Superman foundation. All the adults know that this is Superman, but that fact would not be advertised to the children of Metropolis. I visualized this as having started as a thing like “toys for tots” where the gifts were only for needy families. The background story that I didn’t include was that when Superman offered to do the “magical” delivery on Christmas Eve, it expanded to include others as well.
Okay, NOW that makes sense. It was all the Superman creating Santa, who already existed loopyness that made me [Linked Image]. Superman solidifing the Santa story in a synical world, I can grasp. clap The rest I will leave for people with more convoluted physics brains than me.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting version of a time paradox. Neatly done. wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Virginia:
Okay, NOW that makes sense. It was all the Superman creating Santa, who already existed loopyness that made me - . Superman solidifing the Santa story in a synical world, I can grasp. [Clap] The rest I will leave for people with more convoluted physics brains than me.
I'm gald we got that straightened out. smile

I think you will like Lexmas. It is a very powerful story and - in my opinion - one of the best Smallville episodes. I love this: [Linked Image] I hope you don't mind but I grabbed the ref for it so I can use if in the future.

Morgana:

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. After Always Darkest I wanted to have a more uplifting Christmas story.

Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
gigantic pile of wrapped gifts entirely filled the center of Metro Park, the largest public park in Metropolis.
Ooh!

“Okay. I know you aren’t here to listen to me, so I will also get out of the way and we can all wait for Santa together.”
A politician who shuts up? clap

What they did see was the pile of gifts shrinking at an astounding rate.
Oooh!

After the fact, the stories were always the same… a swirling of air, the briefest glimpse of red, and presents suddenly appearing under the tree.
How fun!!!

two men in clothes that looked out of place in a Metropolis office
Elves?

His friend simply smiled back. “Isn’t temporal mechanics fun?”
Ooh, so it's Wells and a buddy.

they both pressed buttons on their time bracelets and disappeared back into the future.
Ah, not Wells, just Utopia people.

clap Fun little vignette! Thanks for sharing with us!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Deadly Chakram:

Thanks for the feedback.
A politician who shuts up?
smile Of course, after all this is a work of fantasy.
Ah, not Wells, just Utopia people.
Yes. HG gets plenty of play time without my help.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. And again, thanks for taking the time to post this pre-holiday weekend.

Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just watched Lexmas last night and you're right, what a terrific episode! clap Many different threads to give ideas to LnC stories. I liked the one you chose. I kept thinking was that Santa, an older Clark in disguise? (if Clark got old that is). Thanks for the recommendation!

VirginiaR.
---
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Virginia.

Smallville, like many series that run for more than a few seasons, can be all over the map in terms of episode quality, but I really do believe that is one of the very best.

When Smallville was being produced, I tried watching it in S1 and quickly became disenchanted. I got more interested when they added Lois in S4 but didn't really start watching the show until the finally gave up on the Clark/Lana relationship in S8.

There is a lot of good in that series. One thing that I like is that when we meet Lois in S4, she has that aggressive Lois Lane edge to her personality. In S10, even though she has changed, that edge is still there.

Bob

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Another Bob Christmas Story!

“I see that there are children here. Santa specifically asked me to assure you that if anyone were to run out into the path, there is no danger that he will accidently run into anyone. But it will be easier and quicker if everyone stays off the path until he’s done.”
Huh. What’s Clark up to…?

“Remember to be ready for locked doors. It would be a bad idea to start a tradition with too many broken doors or shattered locks.”
Wait, is someone paying for Superman to deliver a present into each home? Or is it a giant Secret Santa?

“Of course,” Lois replied. “We’ll be watching the tree from the sofa. You are coming here early on, right?”
Oooooh!

“Yep,” Clark answered. “So make sure she’s watching right at 11:00. I’ll make sure that I come by here within the first 30 seconds after I start.”
Now, that’s playing favorites! [Linked Image]

“I guess,” he answered. “I should know better, but this was such a momentous point in time.”
Huh? Herb and Tempus?

From this point forward, children all over the world will grow up believing in the magic of giving because they will have all seen it for themselves.
Huh.

This event is the driving force that transforms the historical Saint Nicholas into Santa Claus.”
Huh.

So what’s actually happening is that Clark Kent is copying an idea that originated with an event that he created.
[Linked Image] /waits for the biiiiig booom of the temporal paradox/

His friend simply smiled back. “Isn’t temporal mechanics fun?”

He knew better than to attempt a reply to that tease. “Let’s go home,” he said.
It *is* Tempus and Herb!

Late Christmasy fun!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Michael.

Somehow I totally missed this FDK. Sorry.
Another Bob Christmas Story!
Yeah, I did two this year. The first one being so dark left me feeling like I should try again.
Wait, is someone paying for Superman to deliver a present into each home? Or is it a giant Secret Santa?
I visualized it as sort of Secret Santa-ish. People could drop off packages for Santa to deliver to their house. I figured there would be rules about size and one gift per household and stuff like that. I haven't really worked out all the rules. smile
/waits for the biiiiig booom of the temporal paradox/
And suddenly everyone remembers growing up with the young, handsome dark-haired Santa. smile
It *is* Tempus and Herb!
You know... :p

Thanks for the note.
Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bob!
Somehow I totally missed this FDK. Sorry.
Yeah, I did spam the boards a bit blush

Yeah, I did two this year. The first one being so dark left me feeling like I should try again.
/hands out ‘A’ for effort/

quote: /waits for the biiiiig booom of the temporal paradox/

And suddenly everyone remembers growing up with the young, handsome dark-haired Santa.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard