Clark and Lois - Hope Realized - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 5 11/25
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ denotes telepathic communication/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 New universe called Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Clark and Lois – Hope Realized - The Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 5

Previously:

Lois thought for a second before replying, “We need to get the goods on Luthor. From what you have said, he’s behind all of the major rackets here in Metropolis.”

With assurance Clark replied, “A lot of what he did was centered around Lois, uh, you. He tried to destroy her, uh, you, your support systems so that you would depend on him. First he forced advertisers to pull their copy from the paper so that financially it was in trouble then he coerced the board of the Planet into approving the sale of the Planet to him and then he bombed the Planet so that you would be out of work so that he could offer you a do-nothing position at LNN.”

Lois was astounded, “All of that just so that he could get me?”

“He wants to possess you. He doesn’t love you he wants to break you and control you. That’s his thing and it may also be his Achilles Heel. If we can make sure that his control falters and fails, we may be able to break him.”

Lois had a thought and said, “I just had an idea,” and walked over to the door. She opened it and looked around the bullpen. Spotting the object of her search just coming out of the stairwell door she shouted, “Jimmy!”

His head snapped around and he spotted Lois in the conference room door. He shouted, “Be right there!” He took the prints he had just finished to Perry’s office and then headed for the conference room.

When Jimmy came into the conference room Lois said, “Two things, first – we are changing the date of the wedding to two weeks from last Saturday. Can you change the date of your tux rental?”

If Jimmy could grin any wider he would be splitting his face in two. He said, “No problem, I’ll call and change it today.”

Lois continued, “Okay, good, now next, I need everything you can get on Lex Luthor. All of his businesses, even those that he’s a minor partner in, those should be an extremely short list. See what you can get on banking transactions, mostly from his personal accounts, but, check his businesses as well.”

Jimmy had at first been excited, but, realizing the scope of this assignment started to get worried. He said, “Wow, all of that? That’ll take a while.”

“Let it. We need it to bring him down.”

What she said, finally hit home, “Wow! You’re going after *Luthor*!?!?”

Lois clamped a hand over his mouth. She said, “Not so loud. You never can tell just who might be listening. Luthor could have spies anywhere.”

Jimmy, quieter now said, “Right, mum’s the word. I’ll get right on it.” He left the conference room.

Once he had left, Clark said, “We could possibly do some super surveillance to try to get evidence against Luthor. What do you say to that suggestion?”

With a grin, Lois said, “I’d love to. When do you want to start?”

He suggested, “How about this evening? We can get a feel for how he does things. We could fly up to the roof and listen in to some meetings.”

“Sounds to me like a perfectly enjoyable date. We could get some take out.”

Clark chuckled and said, “I know this little place in Hong Kong that has the best Chinese food you have ever tasted.”

She said, “We can do that after we meet with Bobby.”

That evening, after a visit to Travaglini’s to pick up two lasagna dinners they headed to Centennial Park and were sitting on a bench near the fountain talking when a lanky individual that looked very much in need of a decent meal approached. He sat down next to Clark and introduced himself, “Kent, I’m Bobby. I see you got my message. I heard you were back in town and thought I’d take a chance and contact you. I smell the delicate aroma of Lasagna. Is it from Travaglini’s?”

Clark picked up his bag and opened it so that Bobby could get a better smell. After doing this to tempt him he asked, “What do you have for us?”

Bobby reached for the bag but Clark snatched it away. Clark said, “Information first.”

Bobby, with the appearance of one being put upon said, “You’re looking for information on the current rash of fires on the waterfront, right?”

Lois replied, “Actually, we are on a new assignment now. Lex Luthor. What can you do for us?”

Bobby asked, “Is that a second Lasagna dinner I see there?”

Lois opened her bag so that he could get a whiff. Bobby closed his eyes and took a deep sniff and with a rapturous look on his visage simply enjoyed what he smelled.

Clark brought him back to Earth, “What do you have for us?”

Bobby came back and opened his eyes. He glanced back and forth between them and then said, “Okay, you already know that an Englishman commissioned the bombing of your apartment. Superwoman got that information out of Duggins. That Englishman’s name is Nigel St. John and he works for Lex Luthor.”

Lois said, “Tell us something we don’t already know.”

Bobby was surprised at this response. “Okay, how about this. Luthor wants to build a high - class marina in the Hobbs Bay area. That’s where the information on the fires comes in. He is all set to snap up the properties in that area at fire sale prices.”

Skeptically Lois asked, “How’s he going to do that? Those are valuable properties; no one is going to be selling, especially at fire sale prices.”

“That’s where you’re wrong. Luthor has commissioned the Toasters, a group of firebugs with some hi-tech gear, to start some fires. Their gear creates fires without the use of accelerants so there is no way to prove that it’s arson. After a few places are burnt to the ground there will be a panic sale that Luthor will capitalize on.”

Lois handed over her bag and said, “Bon Appetite.” And Clark handed over his.

Bobby grabbed them and opening one stuck his face in the neck of the bag and inhaled again. With a rapturous expression he pulled back and said, “Heavenly. They make the best lasagna in the city. If I hear anything else I’ll either call or send a note to set up a meet.”

Clark said, “Okay Bobby, we look forward to a long and mutually beneficial association.”

“As long as you guys are willing to meet my price, we’ll get along just fine. I’ll be in touch.”

Lois and Clark looked at each other and after he was out of earshot they both broke out in laughter. When Clark calmed down somewhat he said, “Just like the other one. I can’t get over it!” He sobered somewhat and continued, “In the other universe he is an invaluable source. I’m glad we have him here as well.”

And now:

Chapter 10 – The Investigation
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190
Common name – ALT2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

That night, rather than their usual costumes, they both dressed in ‘snooping clothes’ which consisted of black pants and turtleneck tops.

As it was getting dark they flew up to the roof of Luthor Tower and settled directly above Luthor’s office. They used their enhanced vision to check and found that Luthor liked to keep late hours. They listened in as they watched.

They heard Luthor call in his Butler.

Luthor depressed a switch on a console in front of him and said, “Nigel, my office.”

A few seconds later there was a knock on Luthor’s door and Luthor shouted, “Come in!”

Nigel St. John entered. His manner was not the obsequious behavior one usually associates with a butler. There was more arrogance like that of a chief hireling or second in command.

Luthor spoke, “Nigel, we have a problem. Duggins failed. Kent is still alive and apparently unharmed. I need him out of the way so that I can have Lane. We need to try again. What do you suggest?”

Nigel suggested, “We could try a more direct approach. Perhaps it could be a mugging that turns ugly and fatal.”

Luthor mulled this over for a few seconds before he responded, “Yes, that might just work. Make sure that the men you chose are reliable. You know, there is a possibility that it was Superwoman that saved him from the bomb.” He reached into a desk drawer and pulled out a lead lined box. He opened the lid and even though they were many yards away, they could feel the effects of the Kryptonite. He said to Nigel, “Give this ring to the leader of the team. Superman is back now so if Superman or Superwoman shows up it’ll incapacitate them and allow the team to complete the mission.” He reclosed the box and handed it to Nigel.

“Will do, Sir.”

Lois looked at Clark and said, “Okay, we’ve got a problem. How are we going to handle this?”

“I think that as long as we can keep the Kryptonite at some distance, even if I temporarily lose my powers I can handle them. While we were on the trail of the arms, Lois taught me Tae Kwan Do. As long as there aren’t too many, I should be able to take care of them. Since we know about the Kryptonite we know to keep you out of its range. You can work from a distance. Here’s what I have in mind …”

A few days later, Lois and Clark were walking home from the Planet. It was late evening, almost dark when they both felt the pain that the Kryptonite generated. Clark whispered, “Duck into that alley, change and take off.” Lois did just that.

As the pain increased Clark could feel his powers fading. He heard, “Give us your wallet,” as he turned to confront his attackers.

He saw that there were four of them. The one standing in the back appeared to be the leader and he could see the green glow of the ring on his finger.

Suddenly the leader started shouting in pain and shaking his hand. He shouted to his accomplices, “Get it off! Get it off! It’s branding me! Get it off!”

One of his cronies stepped over and grabbed the ring and screamed in pain as he grabbed it shouting, “It’s red hot!” He grabbed the ring and pulled. As soon as it was off the leader’s hand he dropped it. It started to glow cherry red even as they watched.

While all of this was going on Clark had been active. Since one of the thugs had stopped to help the leader that left only two to deal with. As soon as he had turned he had assumed a defensive stance and as the first thug came at him he blocked his fist and using a sword hand, chopped the side of his neck right where there was a nerve plexus, which paralyzed that side of the thug’s body. A well placed reverse punch to the solar plexus put him down for the count. While he was dealing with him, the other one had been approaching. He received a thought, /Behind you! Knife!/ He spun to face him just in time to change his stance. The second opponent had a knife raised for a downward stroke. Clark stepped inside the arc of his arm and took the impact on his crossed forearms. As soon as contact was made he spun his hands and grasped his opponent’s forearm and wrist and used his arm as a lever to flip him on his back. The mugger hit the pavement with a sickening thud.

By this time the leader and his helper had discarded the ring on the ground and were afraid to touch it. Seeing what had happened to the other two men, they decided it was time to finish this. The leader pulled a gun. He shouted, “You’ve had it Kent!” But he never got a chance to use the gun. As soon as it cleared his clothing it flared red hot and the rounds in the magazine cooked off, exploding and ruining his hand. He grabbed his wrist and started screaming in pain as blood started pouring from his torn and bleeding hand. Seeing this, the remaining thug ran.

Clark walked over to him and gave the injured man an uppercut which put him out. Clark then pulled out a handkerchief and used it as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding.

Clark then walked over, and taking a sheet of lead foil out of his jacket pocket, reached down and wrapped up the Kryptonite ring. Once this was done, Superwoman landed next to him.

Clark pulled out his cell phone and called 911. The dispatcher answered, “911, what is the nature of your emergency?”

Clark said, “I would like to report an attempted robbery. Corner of 9th and Siegel. One of the muggers is hurt. I think that he will need an ambulance.”

The dispatcher asked, “How is the victim?”

Clark’s reply took her by surprise, “Oh, I’m okay but they are a little the worse for wear.”

Even before he finished speaking he could hear sirens in the distance. He handed the lead encased ring to Superwoman and she hurled it straight up with all of her might and watched with her telescopic vision as it left the atmosphere and continued out into space.

A few seconds later an ambulance drove up and parked. The lead medic popped out of the back, bag in hand. He assessed the situation and started with the thug with the damaged hand by applying a compression bandage and an ice pack. Meanwhile his assistant brought out the stretcher. Between them they managed to load the injured thug on and strapped him down. The lead medic then started an IV and they loaded him into the ambulance. Knowing that this was a crime scene they stood by until the police would dispatch them.

Just as he had been finishing up on him the first of several police cars pulled to a stop. The first officer, spotting Superwoman, walked over to her and asked, “Was it you that took them out?”

It was hard for Lois to hide her pride in Clark as she said, “No, I can’t take credit for this one. Clark Kent defended himself. I was prevented from interfering by the fact that one of the thugs had some Kryptonite and I had to keep my distance. It’s just as well, as you can see Mr. Kent is quite capable of defending himself.”

The officer said, “Thanks Superwoman.” As he turned to Clark, Superwoman excused herself and took off. He asked, “Okay, how did this happen?”

Just as Clark was about to reply, Lois came out of the alley and asked, “Is it safe to come out now?”

Clark turned to her and said, “I’m sorry Lois, I should have called you.” He turned to the officer, “When I realized that the muggers were about to attack us I had Lois hide in that alley where she would be safe.” Lois walked up to him and put an arm around his waist. It wasn’t apparent but she was actually helping him to remain on his feet. Clark continued, “Well, they came out of nowhere. I sent Lois off to safety and as they came at me I simply did what I had been trained to do, Tae Kwan Do, I took them out, one at a time. Fortunately, Superwoman came along because the leader pulled a gun. He was too far away for me to deal with but she heated up his gun. She probably just wanted him to drop it but the cartridges exploded damaging his hand, but she saved my life. Apparently this wasn’t a random mugging because when the leader pulled the gun, he called me by name so to me it looks like it was a contract hit disguised to look like a mugging.”

The officer that had been interviewing Clark turned to the other officers that had joined them and said, “Cuff ‘em and read them their rights.” Then he pointed at the thug with the damaged hand, “Roberts, follow the ambulance and as soon as they finish working on him he can be arrested. Cuff him and bring him in as well.” Turning back to Clark he said, “I’ll have this statement written up when I get back to the station. How soon can you come in to the station and sign it?”

Clark responded, “Would it be okay if we just come in and see Lt. Henderson in the morning?”

He replied, “That would be fine. It sounds to me, from what you’ve said, it was an attempted homicide, which is his jurisdiction anyhow.”

Clark said, “Thank you. I guess we’ll go on home then.”

Clark and Lois had their arms around each other as they strolled down the street. After they were out of sight Clark visibly weakened and almost collapsed. Lois had to hold him up to keep him from hitting the ground. She led him into an alley and let him go for the instant it took her to spin into her uniform and then she put her arm back around him and took to the sky. She didn’t stop until they were in Smallville where she landed on the front porch and opening the door carried Clark inside and sat laid on the couch.

Martha and Jonathan had heard the door open and had come out of the kitchen just as Lois was placing Clark on the couch. He was clearly unconscious as she stood up looking down at him with worry in her eyes.

Martha seeing this became very concerned. She rushed over to the side of the sofa so that she could get a better look at Clark and was practically screaming at Lois, “What happened?”

Lois spun out of her uniform and knelt next to Clark before answering. “It was Kryptonite. We knew this would happen. We were warned. This was the way he wanted to handle it. I tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn’t listen.” Lois was in tears and holding his hand the entire time she was speaking. “We need to keep him warm and let him rest. He made me keep my distance but he went right up to it to wrap it in lead foil so that it wouldn’t hurt me. He protected me at the expense of his own safety. I don’t know how he stayed on his feet and he even gave a statement to the police making it look like he wasn’t affected. One of the thugs pulled a gun. I was so desperate to keep him from shooting Clark that I used more heat vision than was called for and the cartridges exploded.” Now she started crying not only from worry about Clark but also from self-recrimination as she added, “He may lose his hand as a result.”

Martha took her in her arms and said, “Lois, Honey, you just did what you had to do. That thug brought it on himself. He was going to harm Clark and you couldn’t let that happen. Don’t worry about the criminal; just be happy that you saved Clark.”

“Oh, Martha, I know, you’re right. I just keep thinking that I should have moderated the heat vision a little so that the gun wouldn’t explode.”

“Now, Lois, look, you had to be sure he couldn’t use that gun on Clark, now stop beating yourself up over it. You didn’t do it on purpose; you were simply reacting and protecting the man you love. Besides, you haven’t had your powers nearly as long as Clark. That kind of control will come with more practice.”

With a look of dawning comprehension she said, “You’re right, Martha, I do love him. We’ve only been together a few weeks, but I do really love him. I still feel bad about blowing up that gun; he has always tried to avoid hurting anyone, as long as he could help it.”

Clark was sweating and pale but he awoke and said, “Lois?”

She grabbed his hand and her anxiety was evident in her voice as she said, “I’m right here!”

He looked around and saw that he was in the living room of the farm house. He asked, “Are Mom and Dad here?”

Jonathan said, “Right here, son. How are you? Lois has been telling us what happened.”

He tried to relieve their anxiety by saying, “I’ll be okay. I just need to rest ... a … while.” With the last word his eyes closed and he fell asleep. Lois continued to kneel there holding his hand.

Martha said, “You know Lois, he loves you too. He’d do anything he could to protect you, you know. He’d even risk his life if he could protect you.”

Lois was staring at his face and didn’t look away as she replied, “I know that. I just hope he knows that I feel the same way about protecting him.”

Jonathan replied to this one, “Trust me, he knows. Now, come on, let’s get out of here and let him get some rest. I think Martha could use a hand in the kitchen. I think I’ll sit over here and check the Farmer’s Almanac to see what kind of weather we can expect over the next couple of weeks.”

As Lois placed his hand in a comfortable position on his chest she laughed and said, “You old softie, you’re just as worried about him as I am.”

He retorted, “Well, what if I am. You two go on and do something useful. I’ll keep an eye on him. I’ll call you if he wakes up.”

An hour later while Martha and Lois were drinking a cup of coffee and chatting in the kitchen they heard Jonathan call and they immediately set the cups down and moved into the living room to see Clark sitting up on the sofa.

Lois sat down next to him and snuggled in close. He put his arm around her shoulder and she grabbed his hand and she intertwined her fingers with his. She said, “You gave us a little bit of a scare there.”

He said, “I’m sorry I worried you. This wasn’t my first exposure to Kryptonite. I’ll have to tell you about that experience some time. *A* Lois, the Lois from Prime, was the one that rescued me from it. I should be just fine in a little while. You know what would be the most help? It would really help if you could fly me where I could get some sunlight.”

Lois thought for a few seconds and then said, “It should still be a few hours before sunset in Hawaii. We could lie out on the beach, together.”

With a grin on his face Clark said, “Hmmmm, lying out on a beach with Lois in a bikini. I’m not about to turn that offer down. Let’s go.”

Martha and Jonathan were both laughing as they had observed this by-play.

Martha said, “You kids, run along and have some fun. We won’t wait up.”

Lois went upstairs and picked out towels and suits for each of them that they kept there so that they could go to Smallville Lake on the spur of the moment and came back downstairs. Lois put the towels and suits in a daypack which Clark picked up and held. Lois spun into her uniform and Clark, more slowly, changed into his uniform and they left via the front door. They landed in a secluded area just off Waikiki beach and put on civilian clothes over their uniforms. Then they went into a fast food franchise and got a sandwich and drinks and then used a rest room to change into their swim wear and cover-ups. After admiring the statue of Duke Kahanamoku, they walked down to the water’s edge, hand in hand, and laid out on their towels. After putting out their towels they sat down in the sun and ate their sandwiches. When he had finished his sandwich Clark laid down.

Lois noted that after just a few minutes Clark was asleep again and she rolled over on her side so that she could look at him while he slept. The look of adoration on her face and in her eyes were evident to all who passed by, even those guys that looked very admiringly at her, taking in her striking figure and beautiful long legs and the looks of jealousy from the other women that didn’t quite measure up to her standard.

After a couple of hours Clark woke up. He saw Lois looking at him and said, “Hi. How long have I been asleep?”

Her reply surprised him, “Long enough for me to get horny laying here looking at your nearly naked body. How are you feeling?”

“I feel pretty good. Let me check.” He started to listen and he heard her heartbeat, loud and clear. It was a little accelerated so he said, “Well, I can tell just how true your last statement was. Pulse and respiration elevated, pupils dilated. Definite signs.”

He rolled over on his side, facing her. As she watched he gave her a very intense appraisal which told her that he was feeling better.

In a sultry tone he said, “Let’s go for a dip.”

He stood up and, reaching for her hand, helped her to stand. They ran down the beach, hand-in-hand and dove into the surf. They swam out beyond where the surf was starting to break and simply floated for a time. Suddenly, while her back was turned, Clark sank below the surface and a few seconds later Lois yelped and disappeared below the surface too. Clark had grabbed her foot and pulled her down. As soon as she was underwater he pulled her in and initiated a kiss. Her body melded to his and as her lower body came into contact with his she felt very relieved. He was getting back to normal.

After they resurfaced they played in the surf for a while and then they returned to their towels. The sun was going down and people were leaving the beach.

When she felt that a sufficient number had left so that they had a modicum of privacy Lois threw herself on top of him and started kissing him. The body contact and the kiss were turning both of them on, so Clark broke the kiss and said, “Let’s get out of here. I think I can fly again. Shall we stop in Smallville or go all the way back to Metropolis?”

“I don’t think I can wait until we can get all the way to Metropolis, let’s stop in Smallville.”

He stood up and they picked up their towels. They restrained themselves, with difficulty, until they were in a secluded area off the beach. In a secret compartment of the daypack their uniforms, all but the boots were stored. Previously, because of what a Superman in another universe had done, Clark had asked Martha to sew Suit material into boot like socks. They looked like boots but didn’t take up nearly as much space. With them on the uniforms at least looked complete. As soon as they were in uniform they took off and headed east.

When they got to Smallville, Clark saw that the lights were out in the farm house. As they were landing he led the way into the barn. Lois giggled and said, “I’ve never had a literal ‘roll in the hay’ before. This is gonna be fun!” He silenced her by initiating another kiss as he floated them up to the loft.

After a while they moved to the house and Lois went to Clark’s bedroom while Clark slept on the sofa.

In the morning, Martha came downstairs and wasn’t surprised to see Clark on the sofa. She went into the kitchen and started breakfast.

Clark awoke to the aroma of coffee brewing and he sat up. A couple of minutes later Lois came downstairs and sat next to him on the sofa, snuggling up to Clark.

Martha came out of the kitchen with a couple of mugs of coffee in hand. She set them down on the coffee table and started chuckling. Turning to Clark she asked, “Why do you insist on sleeping on the sofa?”

Clark was speechless. He had not expected to have to answer this question.

Martha continued, “You know, we aren’t naïve. You two might as well be sleeping comfortably together.”

Clark started to stutter an excuse but was stopped by Martha. Still chuckling, she reached over and pulled a piece of hay out of Lois’ hair. “It’s obvious that the two of you can’t keep your hands of each other and it’s normal. You’re getting married in less than a week. We understand.”

Jonathan hit the bottom step as Martha was plucking the hay out of Lois’ hair and he burst out in laughter. He asked, “You two didn’t scare the cows did you? I guess I’ll find out if they don’t give any milk.” He started laughing even harder while Lois and Clark both blushed bright red. Still laughing, Jonathan continued, “I agree with Martha, you’re getting married in less than a week. We know how it is. When you’re here you might as well be comfortable and sleep in the same bed. Besides, that way Martha won’t disturb you when she comes down to start breakfast.”

This lively banter had all been brought about by their relief that Clark was indeed back to normal, or more precisely, what passed as normal for him. Martha asked, “Who wants breakfast?”

Lois and Clark looked at each other and simultaneously said, “We do!” and broke down in laughter.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 11 – The Hero of 9th and Siegel

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:58 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj