bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Comments and/or feedback here please.

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well done, Bob. It makes me especially glad that Clark followed Paul into the zone. This Clark isn't leaving anything worthwhile behind.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well done my friend, well done. (Sniff!)

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bob,

Well done my friend.

The back story is very sad. I am very sorry that you bad to go through that. Fortunately that is all behind you and has been for over three decades.

Please allow me to wish you a Merry Christmas with your personal Lois.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Merriwether
Merriwether
Merry Christmas, Bob. smile It's a sad story -- and a sad back-story! -- but it makes perfect sense for a prequel to The Pub. Here's hoping this Clark's next 33 Christmases are as great as yours. smile

Kathy

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hmmm, what was that rule. Oh, yeah, “Never write yourself into your own story.” For the record, I promise not to do that again. I do have some good stories that are a lot more fun than this one, but Clark be NOT standing in for me any more.

Now that that’s out of the way, I hope this wasn’t too upsetting. I like uplifting stories more than almost anyone, but sometimes holidays aren’t all sweetness and light. Sure, Clark went through the ringer here, but we know that his soul mate is waiting less than a day away.

HappyGirl:
It’s nice to see you here. Thanks for the note. And of course you were right, I did need that grammar (and other) review.

Morgana:
Thanks. And thank you for the input on the story.

Hi, Ken,
Thank you, and merry Christmas to you too.
Please allow me to wish you a Merry Christmas with your personal Lois.
You’ve found me out. smile Captain Kirk may not have believed in the no-win scenario, but I don’t believe in the sad-ending scenario and Bev is the reason why.

Kathy:
It's a sad story -- and a sad back-story! -- but it makes perfect sense for a prequel to The Pub.
Good. I was worried that the tie-in was too tenuous. When the idea came to me as a Pub prequel, it seemed like a perfect fit. Usually I have a good feel for if an idea will work or not, but due to the nature of this one, I just couldn’t tell.
Here's hoping this Clark's next 33 Christmases are as great as yours.
Well, now that I’ve put him through that, I guess I should see what I can do to make it up to him. However, this Clark and Lois are going to have to wait. These shorts are fun, but they keep pulling me off my real project - the SkyFall sequel.

Again, thank you all.
Bob

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Very nicely done. Sometimes the personal inspiration really makes the story.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How sad and poignant. clap

Congratulations on finding your dawn (by the name of Beverly). Due to your experiences, you know how very lucky you are.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Joan wave
Very nicely done. Sometimes the personal inspiration really makes the story.
Thank you. I was more than a little concerned that the story wouldn't even be remotely interesting to anyone else.

Virginia:
That was pretty inconsiderate of Paul's family, I must say. Even if Clark was just passing through, they shouldn't have excluded him. That isn't what Christmas is about.
There's another imitation of this kind of story. For everything else I've written, I can tell you exactly what any character was thinking at every point in the story. In this case, I have no more idea than you about what was going through their minds. huh
Writing yourself into a story makes the emotional impact bigger, more intense because the feelings are genuine and honest. You can get behind the motivation and feelings of the character better than someone just imagining it. Sometimes, it does make it harder to write, especially when it hits so close to home as this piece did. It's probably why your romantic scenes between Lois and Clark ring more true, because you understand the love behind them.
This is all startlingly true. But there is a down side to letting yourself get too close to the characters. A couple of years ago when I was writing a lot, I was so into the the Lois and Clark characters that in at least a few cases, high angst stories cost me whole nights of sleep. That was part of the reason that I had to back away for a while and remind myself that Lois is not Bev. (Yeah, it sounds a little crazy to me to.)
Congratulations on finding your dawn (by the name of Beverly). Due to your experiences, you know how very lucky you are.
I just showed this part to Bev. Thank you for bringing a smile to her face. smile

Bob

Kerth
Kerth
Dark, but great! I felt bad for Clark, and then I read the reminder that this is a prequel for the Pub and I breathed easy. laugh Glad Clark could get that.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Mouserocks

I'm glad you liked it.
I felt bad for Clark, and then I read the reminder that this is a prequel for the Pub and I breathed easy.
It's Christmas. Santa was just a little late. smile

Bob

Kerth
Kerth
Lovely story, Bob. I'm glad you added the personal note at the end - it made the story so much more powerful.

I think a lot of celebrations can bring both joy and sadness, depending on circumstances. For instance, Mothers' Day is wonderful for mums/moms, but must be terrible for women who have lost a child or were never able to conceive.

You showed this two-sides-to-one-event really well when Clark could hear the family enjoying Christmas, but their celebrations only made his situation worse.

Thanks for sharing,

Corrina.

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you, Corrina.
I think a lot of celebrations can bring both joy and sadness, depending on circumstances. For instance, Mothers' Day is wonderful for mums/moms, but must be terrible for women who have lost a child or were never able to conceive.
I think that happens more than we generally like to talk about. Happy and joyous occasions can often trigger sad or painful memories. The key is to focus on the positive and never lose hope.

Bob

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, Michael. wave
I’m a bit late. Hope you don’t mind
Not at all!

Re:
It’s interesting that they kept orphanages and general hospitality that much alive during the time after Nightfall and with so much of Metropolis in ruins and under the control of Lex.
I visualized this as being a very regional thing. In a smaller town that didn't have direct impacts, I figured that they would have a higher degree of normalcy. At least, that was my thinking.

Thanks for the feedback.
Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah, yes. For some reason I read Clark's backstory as being in Metropolis the whole time. Dunno why, though blush

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard