comments go here

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Lois should realize that her accepting the new Clark is inherently different than Martha and Jonatha accepting him. Having multiple children is acceptable, having multiple significant others is generally frowned upon.

True, remarriage after the death of a spouse, and finding a new boyfriend/fiance are totally acceptable in most cultures (there are esceptions), but few people accept such moving on to happen after only a week. Have reservations about loving new Clark at this point is totally acceptable.

I know at some level I should think the same things about Clark, but since his Lois died over a year ago in his lived time experience, I figure he is not in the same greeving phase.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm going to have to agree with John. It's in a little bad taste for Clark to be hitting on Lois/Superwoman at this time, soul mate bond or not. It would have been better to let her grieve for her Clark, and tell her that he was there to help her recover (true), help her finish becoming all she could be for this universe as Superwoman (also true), but not tell her that he was there to woo her (until later).

“You don’t need to. I know what it is. It’s the soul mates connection.”

“Soul mates connection, what’s that?”

“Let me explain. Do you acknowledge the existence of the soul?”
I think you need some sort of disclaimer here from Lois, otherwise she sounds like an idiot for never having heard of the term "soul mates", a term that someone with her background surely has heard of before. Something like:

"Do you mean 'soul mates' as in one person for everyone?" She laughed as if he couldn't be serious. "Come on. I mean, I know Clark was the only one for me..." Something like that. Just a suggestion.

Telling her about his Lois and that they were connected would have been a better conversation for a later time, especially since they just met. It kind of gives the impression that he would love her, even if he didn't like her, as if he has no choice in the matter, as if he had no resistance to her like she was the embodiment of Revenge to him.

Even though we only met a few hours ago, I … I can’t help loving you. You complete me, the way no one else can. I’ve felt this connection with each Lois I’ve encountered, but it has only been this strong with my Lois.
[Linked Image] Come on, Clark, she's in a completely different spot in the grieving process than you are!

I cannot see how this will ever work between them. Maybe this would be a good time for Clark to say, "I came here to woo you, but I didn't realize how close you and your Clark had become, being engaged and all. I apologize if I had been forward. My words were inappropriate at this time. I will give you time and space and let you mourn. I will remain here in this universe for the next three months to help you out as Superman, so that no one will connect Clark's death with the disappearance of Superman."

Pushing forward with courting her at this time is wrong.

Lois asked, “How can we? I can’t take the chance of his body being examined and have them find something unusual in his body chemistry.”

Clark suggested, “Perhaps a ‘private’ funeral. It would probably help his parents as well.”
This is a good plan.

“I’ll need to talk to Jonathan and Martha about that.” You could hear the surprise in her voice as she continued when she asked, “You saw that?”
I think you meant "He" here.

“I don’t think that would be right, I mean, so soon after he died.”

“I think I know them well enough to know that they won’t have a problem with it. In fact, when they find out that you were orphaned twice, they will want to do whatever they can to help.”
Too soon again.

Clark was apprehensive about this meeting. Sure Lois had said it would be okay, but people can be unpredictable and it might be too soon after their son’s death. There really was no way to predict how they would take his presence. Not able to take the suspense he tuned in with his super hearing.
It was too soon after the death of their son to introduce his double from another dimension, but not too soon to start hitting on Superwoman? Local Clark's fiancee?

I brought someone back with me, someone that I’d like you to meet, if you feel up to it. He may have a solution to this problem.”

Jonathan asked, “Is he a friend of yours? How did you meet him?”
I'm confused about this question from Jonathan. Why would he ask this? Also, how soon is it after Superman and Superwoman were first seen together at the rescue? Only hours? Otherwise, I'm surprised that M&J haven't heard of Superman being seen at a rescue. Is this why Lois wanted to introduce Clark to them at this point, so that they didn't learn of Superman returning another way and think that their son is still alive? If so, she should probably tell Clark that is why she is introducing him to the Kents. THIS reason makes more sense.

Let me tell you something about him. He was an orphan, just like Clark and was adopted by a loving couple just like you and Jonathan, but, he was orphaned a second time when they were killed in an auto accident. Do you want to meet him?”
Um... Lois. I think they need *more* of an introduction than this. This makes Clark sound 10 years old.

Lois spoke up, “Martha, Jonathan, I’d like to introduce Clark Kent.”
[Linked Image] It must be a biological Kryptonian thing (since Lois is now technically biologically Kryptonian). Lack of tact.

Lois said, “This is going to be hard to explain … “
Which is why it would have been better to explain BEFORE you introduced him to help the Kents have a buffer instead of shock.

I have been going on a series of missions oriented toward saving either the Clark Kent or the Lois Lane of the universe in question. I actually came here because we knew that your Clark was going to die in that explosion. You see there is a strong concern that the fundamental course that the history of this universe should follow has been disrupted by his death and yet it was unavoidable.
Again with the blunt there, Clark. You just told these people that you have been "saving" a bunch of Clarks and Loises, but that you couldn't save THEIR son.

MARTHA: [Linked Image]

“Since we are not going to bury him in a regular cemetery, if for whatever reason a search were conducted, cadaver dogs would alert on the scent and we don’t want that. It’s the same thing I did with my Lois.”
Well, that's being a bit pessimistic, isn't it?

They spent some time at the grave side comforting one another and allowing themselves to vent their grief. Clark felt something like an outsider as he looked on, but, he could sympathize having gone through this process with the death of Lois.
Then he should have left them alone to grieve in private.

Jonathan returning to their previous conversation spoke up, “Let me get this straight, you are from a parallel dimension and you have been going on missions to save Clark Kent or Lois Lanes but you came here to try to save our universe and make sure it follows a certain path?”
This sounds like a question I would have expected earlier, when they first met him.

“That would be the path to a utopian society brought about by his descendants.”
In other words, your son is dead. You don't mind if I court his intended, do you? [Linked Image] Jonathan gets out shotgun, fills it full of Kryptonite pellets, and starts shooting.

“How long will you be here?”

“The plan is for me to be here for three months.”
Um.... that's not exactly true.

Actually, in this case, I was looking for a universe where Lois is alone. You see, my Lois was killed while investigating illegal gun shipments into the Congo and Herb thought that if I could find a universe where there was a Lois and no Clark, perhaps we could then get together. My previous missions have actually been oriented toward rescuing the Clark or the Lois of that universe from a situation which could result in death. This is about my thirteenth mission and in each of my previous missions I have been able to rescue Clark or Lois and actually facilitate the relationships between them.
Okay, here, he basically tells the Kents that he's come to this dimension, not to save their son, but to steal his fiancee. A bit in bad taste that, Clark, being that they had just buried their son not an hour before.

“Hopefully, I will be staying here, permanently. The purpose of my presence is to see if I can establish a relationship with Lois. I would like to also establish a relationship with you, if I may. If you want to see me again, I’m sure I can be here.”
I cannot see anyone receiving this news mere minutes after burying their son without anger, even the Kents. Also, it proves he lied earlier when he said he'd be in this dimension for only 3 months.

I'm a bit surprised that everyone is taking this blunt admission in stride. It's insulting to local Clark's memory.

Lois mutely nodded her head in response. She was starting to feel more than a little guilty about what she was feeling. She could feel an attraction to this man. She knew that he wasn’t her Clark, but he was so much like him that she at times forgot that he wasn’t the same man. To say the least, she was conflicted. There was an unaccountable attraction, well maybe not unaccountable; he was, after all, identical to her fiancé. Seeing how Martha and Jonathan had taken to him was making it even more difficult for her to separate them.
I'm glad that Lois is conflicted. She should be. I'm also surprised that she's not the least bit angry at Clark coming here and announcing to her dead fiance's parents that he has come here solely to marry her. It sounds as if she's an afterthought to Utopia, a means to an end, and THAT should be insulting to her.

Clark seems to be going after his goal (marrying Lois) with a very unemotional attitude. He's not taking into account other people's attitudes and feelings. He seems a bit unfeeling and cold in his manner. He needs a wake up call. I hope Lois is the one to give it to him.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi John,

Thanks for the FDK.

Hang in there.

The realization that things could move quickly, too quickly is apparent to all of them.

Things are NOT going to heat up too quickly.

Keep in mind that he is going to be there for 3 months.

Just how long does it take to get to know someone?

I started dating my wife within a week of meeting her and we were married within 3 months.

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Actually I think Clark is wise to make his intentions clear at the start. She will just be really mad later on if he does not do that.

Anyway, since Clark is pretending to be Clark to most people, and they are planning to cover up Clark's death, things will be complicated.

I think they should break off the engagement. Even if they think they will get married at some point, breaking off the engagements will probably be the best thing.

John Pack Lambert
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the FDK!

See my comments to John first.

Stick with it and you will see that there will be a period of time where they will get to know each other.

Also, keep in mind that they are not exactly starting as strangers.

Clark has known a number of Lois Lanes by this time and the similarities outweigh the differences.

This Lois had been engaged to her Clark so she knew him quite well. Again, she will find differences, however, the similarities will out weigh the differences and facilitate the relationship.

Remember the comment Lois made, "So you think you can just come in here and take his place?"

His response was to the effect that no this was not the case. He never expected to. What he wanted to do was establish a relationship with her and see how it would work out.

Please note that he is giving her space. He is not pushing the relationship. He is living in Metropolis as Charlie King as she is bacially living in Smallville with the Kent seniors as they go throiugh the greiving process.

I don't think I am giving too much away by saying that this will switch around. Lois will be returning to Metropolis while he will move to Smallville for a period of time.

Time is the key. I tried to put time markers in the text so that you can see that there is a resaonable amount of time elapsing.

They really do have a head start on a relationship. It is the soul mates connection that is drawing Lois and causing the emotional conflict she is experiencing.

As the relationship develops this conflict will resolve itself.

We will have to give them the time they need and see how things play out.

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi John,

You slipped this on in while I was prepping the response to Virginia, hahaha.

Actually he is living at the Apollo as Charlie King at this point of the story. He didn't reveal his presence until a week after locak Clark's death. He had been allowing Lois and the Kents to go through the first stages of greif.

The day he revealed himself he met local Lois and the Kents.

It will be some weeks before any kind of a real relationship is formed.

It was important that the grieving process be experienced so that all could then move on.

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by KenJ:
Hi John,

Thanks for the FDK.

Hang in there.

The realization that things could move quickly, too quickly is apparent to all of them.

Things are NOT going to heat up too quickly.

Keep in mind that he is going to be there for 3 months.

Just how long does it take to get to know someone?

I started dating my wife within a week of meeting her and we were married within 3 months.
That is all well and good, but had she just had a fiance die less than a week before you met her?

John Pack Lambert
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
No. She wwas in the process of divorcing him.

kj
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I will say I think alt-Clark taking over local Clark's identity is really his only option.

If his concern was just to hide CK=SM, that would not be an issue. No one has seen SM for nearly 3 months before this because of the power transfer. With how CK died, no one would suspect he was SM.

That was never a threat.

Looking at it, I do not blame Clark for not going back to his home dimension.

At first I was wondering why he waited a week between coming to this dimension and meeting Lois. However, on second thought I think it was the best decision. Well, I wonder if maybe he should have waited longer, but definitely not less time.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good job KenJ!

Its been a long, happy weekend, so I'm saving my comments for later. dance

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard