Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91208 11/17/12 02:22 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
For those of you that thought this would end up in some kind of litigation, you were right. smile1

Comments here please.

Bob

#91209 11/17/12 04:17 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
As Lo-Lo approached the county court house,
Not good, not good at all.

First, and most importantly, Clark had agreed to start making detailed wedding plans.
smile1 Although I still think he should have moved faster.

Also, after no small struggle, she’d found a writing style that suited her new outlook and that Perry had declared to be acceptable.
This is very good.

And, the most unexpected development, she had a new best girlfriend.
I guess Cat didn't try to steal Clark during Nightfall.

After the third time out together, Cat had even stopped trying to get her to “sample” any of the men they met on these outings.
Well, Revenge has change Lois less than some may think. She may be madly in love with Clark, but only Clark. Of course that was exactly what happened in canon, even to the exclusion of Lex.

But then, just as she thought she’d hit her stride, she got the call that Lex Labs had developed a cure for Revenge. Dr. Jensen had suggested that she take it right away. For Lo-Lo this was a no-brainer. She loved her new life and wasn’t interested in a cure, so she declined.
Interesting development.

That news led to a long talk with Clark that evening. He thought she should take the treatment. In fact, he was really worried about the fact she didn’t want to risk going back to being Lois. He spent most of an evening trying as hard as he could to convince her that she should take the cure. However, once she made her position and feelings clear, he’d reluctantly agreed to support her decision.
Clark is again in a real tough situation.

But since that day he’d refused to talk any more about wedding plans.
I do not see this as a wise move.

Clark didn’t know that since that night, every time she thought about their now-obviously-cancelled wedding, she broke down in tears.
How is she keeping Clark from knowing this?

She knew that he loved her, but he loved Lois more. She feared that no matter what their future held, he’d always long for Lois over her.
At some level I can't blame him. She is not really whole under this influence. She might be a nicer person, but can she really fully function?

John Pack Lambert
#91210 11/17/12 04:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh...my. *fans self* What a predicament! Poor Lo-Lo; it looks like she's gonna be forced out of her new life. frown But...is this best for her, after all? I mean, if Perry says she's lost the fire...but then, Lo-lo hasn't completely lost *all* of her fire, has she? Oh my. I actually don't know what to think about all of this. eek

Bob, you've written a story where I don't know who to root for. "Bring Lois Back" vs. "Free Lo-Lo". Oooh, we should totally start a poll!

Well done! Although, with only two parts to go, I don't know how this will end. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to find out.

~•~
#91211 11/17/12 04:38 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I liked how Lolo's lawyer brought up the Smallville incident.

Couldn't Lolo write down a summary of important things that have happened of late so that even if she forgets everything since revenge she will still be OK?

Hmm, of course, Ellen Lane might try to make sure if she comes to neither Clark nor any reminder of him is around.

Still, since Lois still authored over 40 articles I think that it is hard to say she is not a functioning member of society.

I hope things turn out alright.

Even if Lois does come back I don't see Luthor winning. Even if she does not remember CK=SM, he still has that card to play. He knows Lois really loves him, even if she is not willing to admit it. Still, it might be tough.

John Pack Lambert
#91212 11/17/12 05:25 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I've been reading this since it started, Bob, and I really like the angle you've taken. It's original without changing the main characters - except Lois, of course, and that was the entire point.

Of all the witnesses called, Perry's testimony was the most harmful to Lo-Lo's cause. I wonder if Lois "losing the fire" is enough of a personality change for the judge to order her to take the "cure." And even though this is late, I thought your technical explanation of how Revenge worked was superb. I'm not a medical professional or even a student, but it made sense to me. Good job.

If Lo-Lo puts her feelings and actions in a journal for Lois to read - assuming her memory of the past few weeks does indeed get swept away - will she believe it? Or will she believe and still push Clark away because he obviously contributed to her loss of drive to be the best? Even worse, will she retain her memory of those halcyon days but be unable to forgive her mother for putting that wedge back between herself and Clark, thereby making her bitter and old before her time?

Will she and Cat remain friends? I hope so. Maybe Cat can ease her transition back to her old life.

I just had an evil thought. Lo-Lo takes the cure and reverts back to Lois, retains her memory, and then hates herself for breaking up her relationship with Clark - because, of course, she can't be the real Lois Lane with Clark Kent underfoot. So she'll be the one to end it for the greater good. Clark is heartbroken and turns to Cat for comfort, and they eventually marry and begin Utopia with a slightly different twist, one that will give both Wells and Tempus indigestion and insomnia. Lois misses being Lo-Lo so much that she quits the Planet and moves to Hollywood to become an actress who is desperate for success.

See what you did? Now my muses want me to write that! I'll try to restrain them and keep enjoying your tale. You've held my interest so far, and I can't imagine that you'll lose it now.

Looking for the next chapter! And for Lex to get his comeuppance!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#91213 11/17/12 06:21 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful twist. Frankly I don't think it matters how the court case turns out.

First off either Lois is forced to take the cure or Luthor will have it used on her anyways. After all it would be hard to tie Luthor to it and likely hard to prove that her body did not just finally rid itself of the drug.

Second, does the court even have the power to compel someone to take an experimental drug?

Clearly the FDA has not had time to approve the so called cure?

On another topic, perhaps instead of a written journal she could do a video journal. In the interest of keeping Lois from hating Clark.

I still don't see how to fix things with only two parts left without a "five years later" jump.

Looking forward to the rest.

Framework4
#91214 11/18/12 07:54 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Bob,

This could be a real problem.

I wonder though, couldn't the stres she is currently undergoing in some way mitigate the effects of Revenge without her having to undergo the treatment thus retaining the good aspects of Revenge while returning said fire?

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#91215 11/18/12 05:55 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I got busy with work this week and wasn't able to read, so I got to catch up with chapters 4-6 tonight. And I continue to be impressed by your plotting and pacing, Bob. After the "fluff" of the first three chapters, the story took a more serious turn and you've handled it very deftly. You're exploring some really thought-provoking issues with this story.

The direction you've taken things makes perfect sense -- from Lex's reaction, to Ellen's, to their ultimately teaming up to take Lois to court. But I've also been fascinated to see Lo-Lo's take on the entire situation. Her ability to analyze situations is in some ways even stronger than it was as Lois; I don't know that Lois would be able to articulate the fear and anger that she held inside and explain how it made her act (and react) the way Lo-Lo did. In any case, while she may have lost her "fire" as a reporter, her ability to suss out the fact that Lex-Ellen connection proves that Lo-Lo isn't "worse"; she's just "different", and valuable in her own right. The work you've done building Lo-Lo's character is coming through loud and clear -- she's not Lois, but she is an interesting person in her own right.

The other part that impressed me with the plotting was your willingness to have Lois express the very fear that your readers are having -- that once Lois comes back, she won't love Clark anymore, or worse, she will attack him for what he's done. That's something that would have been so easy to sweep under the rug, perhaps by having the characters worry about it privately but not express it outright. But having it come out so openly serves two purposes: it not only gets it out there to build the tension, but also shows that Lo-Lo is a lot more grounded in reality that others may think. (Not to mention it shows what a near-perfect relationship Clark and Lo-Lo have, that they are willing and able to talk about *everything*, even the really scary issues.)

So now that there are only two more chapters to go, I'm honestly not sure where you're going to take us. Based on the court testimony so far, I can definitely see the judge ordering Lois to take the drug. Even Lo-Lo knows it makes sense and that Lois would want to come back. And since half of the patients have experienced amnesia, the stakes are even higher for Lois and Clark's relationship.

But the defense hasn't had a chance to make its case yet ... and I'm sure you have a few more tricks up your sleeve to surprise us. I'm definitely eager for the rest of the story and to learn what happens next. smile

Kathy

ETA: Like Framework, I found myself wondering if Lo-Lo can make herself a "Fifty First Dates" type video (or at least write herself a long letter) telling Lois exactly why she can't forget Clark and how amazing he is. I sure hope they find some way out of this mess!

#91216 11/19/12 07:39 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hello everyone.

First, a note. I have been trying to maintain a 36 hour post schedule. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss that. I spent all day yesterday trying to get Chapter 8 where I wanted it, but it isn't there yet. Because of the way chapters 7 and 8 interact, I don't want to post 7 until I know that 8 is under control. So, 7 will be delayed at least 1/2 day.

John:
Clark is again in a real tough situation.
That has been the case from the start. Who does he owe more to? Lois or Lo-Lo? It's easy for an outside observer to say Lois ,but would it really be that easy for someone inside the relationship?
I do not see this as a wise move.
Again, per above, Clark is in a very difficult situation.
I liked how Lolo's lawyer brought up the Smallville incident.
I think that would prove critical. The fact that before Revenge, they were close enough for Lois to stay at his house is critical evidence that her relationship with Clark is not just a Revenge-induced delusion.
Still, since Lois still authored over 40 articles I think that it is hard to say she is not a functioning member of society.
Yes. smile

Queen of the Capes:
Bob, you've written a story where I don't know who to root for. "Bring Lois Back" vs. "Free Lo-Lo".
Thank you. You have no idea how happy that makes me. I was hoping to achieve exactly that. The Lo-Lo that we saw in the episode is unsustainable. When I read your story I realized that a Lo-Lo who could successfully raise a teenage daughter had to be a much more complete and capable person that what we saw. Lo-Lo may not be exactly Lois, but she is a real and capable woman. Just not the same one as Lois.

Hi, Terry: wave
I've been reading this since it started, Bob, and I really like the angle you've taken. It's original without changing the main characters - except Lois, of course, and that was the entire point.
Thank you.
I just had an evil thought. Lo-Lo takes the cure and reverts back to Lois, retains her memory, and then hates herself for breaking up her relationship with Clark - because, of course, she can't be the real Lois Lane with Clark Kent underfoot. So she'll be the one to end it for the greater good. Clark is heartbroken and turns to Cat for comfort, and they eventually marry and begin Utopia with a slightly different twist, one that will give both Wells and Tempus indigestion and insomnia. Lois misses being Lo-Lo so much that she quits the Planet and moves to Hollywood to become an actress who is desperate for success.

See what you did? Now my muses want me to write that! I'll try to restrain them and keep enjoying your tale. You've held my interest so far, and I can't imagine that you'll lose it now.
jawdrop Reading this reminds me of When Muses Go Bad

Framework4:
does the court even have the power to compel someone to take an experimental drug?
Remember that htis is the LnC judicial system. The three times that I remember seeing the LnC judicial system, "Man of Steel Bars", "Whine, Whine,Whine" and "Dead Lois Walking" lead me to believe that the only thing we can be sure of its that their court system is not ours. I've served on several juries in my live and I've never seen anything remotely resembling what we saw in these episodes (But that goes for their portrayal of the military too. I spent many years working on military systems. Whether or not you like the military, every officer that I've met has been both capable and intelligent. The idiot/bozo portrayal of the military always annoys me.)

KenJ:
I wonder though, couldn't the stress she is currently undergoing in some way mitigate the effects of Revenge without her having to undergo the treatment thus retaining the good aspects of Revenge while returning said fire?
Possibly. I guess we'll know when Cynthia presents her defense.

Kathy:
Her ability to analyze situations is in some ways even stronger than it was as Lois; I don't know that Lois would be able to articulate the fear and anger that she held inside and explain how it made her act (and react) the way Lo-Lo did.
I agree. Lo-Lo lives much closer to her emotions than Lois did.

The other part that impressed me with the plotting was your willingness to have Lois express the very fear that your readers are having -- that once Lois comes back, she won't love Clark anymore, or worse, she will attack him for what he's done. That's something that would have been so easy to sweep under the rug, perhaps by having the characters worry about it privately but not express it outright.
I see her openness as a side-effect of Revenge. She loves and trusts Clark, and because of the Revenge, she's not afraid to open up to him, therefore they have a very open relationship.

Thanks again. Now I need to go back and pound my head against the wall that is Chapter 8.

Bob

#91217 11/19/12 01:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by bobbart:

(But that goes for their portrayal of the military too. I spent many years working on military systems. Whether or not you like the military, every officer that I've met has been both capable and intelligent. The idiot/bozo portrayal of the military always annoys me.)
Well, remember, the military officers' exam only has one question on it:

If you are leading a team consisting of yourself, one Sergeant, and a squad of privates and need to erect a 30' flagpole in the exact center of a 50 sq' area of rocky terrain during heavy enemy fire, how do you do this?

The answer, of course, is: Turn to the sergeant and say "Sergeant, put up a 30' flagpole..."

wink

~•~
#91218 11/20/12 11:24 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Well done on the court scene. Lawyers are skilled in questioning people into a corner, and you conveyed that really well.

It was true what the judge said - that no one had done anything wrong. Ellen is trying to protect her daughter. Lo-Lo is trying to keep a life she thinks she prefers. Clark is trying to support Lo-Lo, but I think there's a good chance he is missing Lois.

I can't predict how this will end, which is the mark of a very good story.

Corrina.

#91219 11/21/12 06:26 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Queen:
Turn to the sergeant and say "Sergeant, put up a 30' flagpole..."
clap rotflol
I love this because it's funny AND the right answer.
BTW: I'm probably a little bit biased in my view of the military. Not only did I spend 15 years in defense engineering, but my mom and dad were BOTH marines. (That was how they met.) And, per your comment above, my dad was a Gunny.

Corrina:
Well done on the court scene. Lawyers are skilled in questioning people into a corner, and you conveyed that really well.
Thank you. The only problem I had was how to keep the scene from feeling like reading a transcript.

I was a little worried about how "real" this would seem, but when I consider the other court scenes in the real episodes, I figured that pretty much anything I did would be better than those.

Bob

#91220 11/21/12 11:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by bobbart:
BTW: I'm probably a little bit biased in my view of the military. Not only did I spend 15 years in defense engineering, but my mom and dad were BOTH marines. (That was how they met.) And, per your comment above, my dad was a Gunny.
Cool! You know, I've often thought about writing a fic where Lois had a son who ran off to join the military. Alas, it may never get written, since I don't know a corps from a cabbage. frown Feel free to PM me, though, if you're interested in my inane ramblings on the subject. ^^

~•~
#91221 12/30/12 11:45 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
First, and most importantly, Clark had agreed to start making detailed wedding plans.
Got him to give up, huh?

Also, after no small struggle, she’d found a writing style that suited her new outlook and that Perry had declared to be acceptable.
Awwww

After the third time out together, Cat had even stopped trying to get her to “sample” any of the men they met on these outings.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#91222 01/01/13 10:53 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Michael:
That whole thing reminds me of an episode form Ally McBeal, where they had a woman with a multiple personality disorder. The new personality gradually took over until she was in control more than 50% of the time. And in the end, there was a drug that killed one of the personalities.
Wow! I never watched that show but it sounds disturbingly similar.
Well, he stalked her. And she kissed him. Does that not count? Plus, they fought a lot.
laugh Yes, the "they fought a lot" should certainly count.

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard