Clark and Lois - Hope Realized - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 5 02/25
By Ken Janney
By Ken Janney
Rating PG-13
Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ denotes telepathic communication/
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190 New universe called Alt 2

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Clark and Lois – Hope Realized - The Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 5

Previously:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha -120 x Gamma 255 x Tau -190
Common name –Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

They proceeded to their usual convenience store to check the headlines. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

Herb said, “It’s 7 PM, February 14, 1994. We’ll extend this trip. Let’s meet Sunday, May 8th in the mall in front of the Alamo at 10 AM. Good luck my boy.” Herb extended his hand and Clark took it and shook it.

Clark said, “Thanks Herb, for everything you’ve done for me.”

“Don’t thank me yet, Clark. Wait until you have succeeded in this mission.”

Herb exited the store and headed for the alley he always used as he entered the time and space coordinates into his TaDT. The portal opened in front of him and he again stepped through.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Common name –Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Herb checked the display and it read, May 8, 1994. He was relatively near the Alamo so it only took a couple of minutes to walk there. Herb, seeing that Clark was alone started the conversation, “Truly, I was not expecting to find you alone this time, my boy. Can you tell me what happened? Did you succeed in this mission as you have in all of the others or did you fail? Are you and Lois Lane of this universe together? I must admit, this doesn’t correspond with what I know about this universe’s future history.”

Clark had turned as he had heard Herb approach. He gave his question a few seconds consideration and started to walk away from the Alamo before answering, “Well, Herb, in a manner of speaking, yes, we are. Would you be willing to take a little trip? We’d like to have a meeting.”

“My, my, that would be unusual. Are you sure they want to meet with me?”

“Absolutely!”

“Well, okay, if you insist. Where are we to meet?”

“At the Kent home in Smallville.”

“That makes some sense. Shall we use the TaDT?”

Clark’s stroll had taken them to a secluded area where he spun into the Suit before he said, “That shouldn’t be necessary. I can fly us.” Before Herb had a chance to object Clark picked him up and took off. Herb hastily grabbed his derby and held it in place as they took off. The flight only took a few minutes and they landed in the front yard. Clark spun out of the Suit as he led the way to the door.

And now:

Chapter 1 – Superwoman and Superman
February 21, 1994
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Common name – Alt2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A young couple, Joe and Christie Phillips, were in their VW Jetta going on a dive vacation in the Florida Keys. Both were NAUI - National Association of Underwater Instructors (1) certified divers and had all of their own gear. It was a glorious summer day with plenty of sun and some white fluffy clouds as they drove along. They had the windows up and the air conditioning on and Joe was playing a CD in the background as they drove. Joe was behind the wheel while Christie checked the brochures one last time to see if they could find a cheaper dive boat.

Unknown to them a container ship nearby had lost its steering gear and was moving at 25 knots. It was approaching a passage under the Overseas Highway between Fiesta Key and Craig Key. When he was notified of the failure of the steering, the captain saw that he would be impacting one of the pylons supporting the highway. However the ship had too much way to bring it to a standstill before the impact even at full revolutions in reverse. Knowing that he couldn’t turn the ship he immediately ordered full reverse and ordered the radio room to notify the Coast Guard and police that there would be damage as a result of a collision.

The call went out and the police asked for the Emergency Broadcast System to broadcast a warning, which they did. They also dispatched black-n-whites from Key West. The Coast Guard dispatched several cutters as well as divers from the base in Key West.

An emergency call also went out for Superwoman asking her to come and assist in any rescue efforts which may be needed. Formerly the call would have gone out for Superman but recently it had become generally known that he had left on a mission and had asked Superwoman to fill in for him.

Not listening to the radio Joe didn’t hear about the impending disaster. He also didn’t know about the rescue efforts already under way even though a disaster had not even occurred as yet.

The Captain could see that the collision at this point was unavoidable and ordered the radioman to give their coordinates to the Coast Guard and tell them that impact with the piling was inevitable. Just as the radioman finished his transmission the impact came. The ship was still making eighteen knots at impact. The piling crumpled which dropped the road surface by at least three feet, fracturing the highway.

Joe had been in the process of passing a bus when the highway suddenly disappeared in front of him. There was no time to brake though he tried. He had slowed to 35 miles per hour when the front wheels dropped off the edge of the roadway. Momentum caused the car to continue off the edge tumbling, as it fell and hitting the water trunk first. Both Joe and Christie had been briefly knocked unconscious by the impact and when they came to, watched in horror as their car drifted into the depths. Finally the car settled to the bottom with a gentle bump. Amazingly the vehicle came to rest in an upright position. Christie had become almost hysterical but Joe remained calm. By profession he was ‘on the job’ and by training and experience needed to maintain his cool. He released his seat belt and reached over and took Christie in his strong arms. As soon as she felt his embrace she started to calm down.

Joe spoke to her for the first time, “Christie, look through the window. What do you see?”

“Water.”

“Right. Now, what were we coming here to do?”

“SCUBA dive?”

“Right again. Okay, remember your training. You’ve done free ascents before. That is what we are going to have to do. We’ve settled on the bottom, so the pressure will be equalized. Our gear’s in the trunk so we can’t get to it. Let’s get your seat belt off.” Reaching down he unclipped her belt. Then he reached over the back of the seat and grabbed a blanket.

“Once we break a window and let the water in we should be able to open the doors. I’ve got this extrication tool.” He reached under his seat and pulled out the tool and held it up for her to see. “When I use this point,” he pointed at a hardened steel point protruding from the hammer type head, “to hit the side window the tempered glass will shatter. Normally it wouldn’t hurt, but it will be driven in by the force of the water. We need to hold the blanket up behind our seats while I reach around and hit the back window. Now, as soon as I do that the water is going to rush in and we will lose this air pocket. We need to hyper-ventilate before I hit the window. Okay?”

Christie had calmed down under Joe’s influence. “Okay. Whatever you say.”

“Okay, let’s start. Long slow deep breaths. I’ll tell you when to hold your breath. Remember, when you start up exhale the entire way. You won’t run out of breath. Just exhale.”

They both started breathing deeply in preparation. While doing this he spread the blanket. When it was in place he reached around it and said, “Okay. Here we go. Hold your breath.” He watched her take one final deep breath and hold it. He struck the window. The glass shattered and the glass was pushed in like buckshot from a shotgun. The blanket succeeded in protecting them from the glass as the water rapidly flooded the car. He gestured for Christie to try the door. She found that it opened easily. Seeing that her door was opening Joe tried his and it also opened easily. As they both were about to exit the car and start their ascent suddenly the sun, which had been filtering down through the water, was blotted out. Looking up they saw a bus literally on top of them. They were directly under it and it was about to land on top of their car preventing them from opening the doors any farther and at this point they weren’t open enough to pass through. Christi started to panic again.

The weight of the engine in the bus caused it to settle rear first after it tumbled off the roadway. It was fortunate for the few passengers on the bus that after they had left the last rest stop the air conditioning had failed and they had all opened their windows. Everyone on the bus, including the driver, was looking forward to changing busses at the next terminal. In that oppressive southern Florida heat the only option had been to put the windows down. Since the windows were all down, even before the bus started to sink below the surface, nearly all were out and free.

As the rear of the bus settled on the bottom in front of them, Joe looked at Christie and could see her begin to panic again. Just as she looked over at him in fear he reached for her and put his hand on her shoulder. That contact stilled her fears. The front of the bus was about to come down on top of them when suddenly its downward movement stopped and the bus started to ascend again and a few seconds later they couldn’t see it anymore. Sunlight greeted their eyes as they looked up. Joe patted Christie’s shoulder and pointed to her door. Now they were able to finish opening their doors and start their ascent. They followed their bubbles up toward the surface. They didn’t know how it had happened but they were very thankful. They continued their ascent without further incident breaking the surface within a few feet of each other.

Suddenly Joe found himself being picked up out of the water and flying through the air. Looking around he saw that Superman was carrying him. He shouted, “No, not me! My wife!” Superman spun him around so that he could see over his shoulder. What he saw was Christie in the arms of Superwoman.

Superman landed with his passenger on the deck of the roadway on the Key West side. Superwoman landed right next to them and deposited his wife.

When Joe looked around he saw a number of people standing around in wet clothes like his and Christie’s. One of them had a bus driver’s uniform on so he decided that they must be the occupants of the bus that almost killed them. He saw the bus off to one side with water still running out of it.

The look on Superwoman’s face was one of disbelief. She stood there stunned as Superman took off again and dove back into the water reappearing shortly with the couple’s car which he deposited near them. As soon as he had set the car down he took off and headed north. Neither of them had spoken a single word.

Superwoman was still in shock and it took her several seconds to realize just what had happened before she took off in chase of him. She pushed herself faster than she had ever flown before but no matter how fast she flew she couldn’t close the distance. She could see him with her telescopic vision and watched as he changed course and headed west. She altered course to try to head him off but he managed to stay ahead of her.

She was starting to feel a little frustrated and then she heard a radio broadcast as she was passing over Denver about a magnitude 7.6 earthquake in Japan and realized where they were headed. She pushed herself even more as if that were possible and she slowly closed the distance, though she was still several seconds behind when they arrived. She saw him start pulling people from the rubble and she started doing the same. She heard the cheers of the people when they realized that the superhero pair was there. There was an elevated roadway that was still swaying even some seconds after the main shock had passed. Superman saw that one end was starting to separate from the rest of the roadway and flew up under it to support it while Superwoman helped evacuate that section, physically moving some of the disabled vehicles.

After several hours of concerted effort they were finally finished. Again Superman took off before Superwoman could say anything. She took off after him, determined that this time, no matter how far or how fast he traveled she was going to stay with him. She had to solve this mystery. Just who was this Superman? Where did he come from? How did he get here? Why was he here? She had to find out.

Flashback – September 1993

Lois and Clark had been working together for a while. Through a set of unforeseen circumstances Lois had discovered his secret and had kept it to herself until he had decided that he could trust her with it. When he finally got up the nerve to actually tell her they were at work. Not by design but by happenstance they were both in the supply room at the same time. Clark said, “You know Lois, we’ve had a few dates now and I’ve really had a good time.”

Lois replied, cautiously, because she didn’t know where this was going, but had some hope that it would be where she wanted it to go, “Yeah, I’ve enjoyed being out with you too.”

She could see that Clark was actually beginning to sweat as he continued, “I, uh, I don’t know how to, uh, well, I’ve got something to, well, I need to say, uh, well, before we continue, there’s something …”

Lois was feeling light headed. Was he about to tell her? She couldn’t believe it. She tried to encourage him, “You have something to say? Something to tell me?”

Clark, before he had a chance to lose his nerve and back out of this, blurted out, “Yeah, I’m him. I’m Superman.” As he finished his statement he became very apprehensive, waiting for her to blow up at him.

Instead what happened took him completely by surprise. Lois squealed in delight and launched herself at him and jumping into his arms, kissed him soundly and then she asked, “What took you so long?”

Stunned, he said, “You already knew? How?”

“Remember when we were on that stake out in the honeymoon suite at the Lexor? You threw me on the bed and kissed me. I could never forget that kiss. When I kissed you as you were leaving to deal with Nightfall, that kiss was identical and I knew just who I was kissing. I knew why you kept it a secret and I knew that I would have to help you keep it a secret also.”

Clark pulled her in and kissed her before whispering, “Thank you. I love you Lois.”

Chuckling, Lois replied, “I love you too. Now, I think we need to get out of here before I start to get a reputation like Cat’s”

He started to laugh as he replied, “That would never happen. Everyone knows that ‘Mad Dog Lane’ isn’t like that. She’s a no nonsense journalist.”

“Ah, but, what if it became known that this no nonsense journalist was in love with her partner?”

“I guess that the Mad Dog reputation might just suffer a setback.”

She also started laughing as she said, “Let it!” They exited the supply room, both of them laughing as they returned to their desks.

A few weeks later

Lois and Clark were going to the White Orchid Ball. Lois really wanted to nail down a one-on-one interview with Metropolis’ Billionaire philanthropist, Lex Luthor. Most people knew very little about his background. Through extensive digging Lois had found out that he had inherited his money and LexCorp from his father, Lionel. It had been a rather small and insignificant company until Lex took over and he, through shrewd acquisitions - some of which were questionable, had built it up to the megacorp it was today.

October 1, 1993

It was 5 PM and Lois and Clark had just left the Planet. Walking hand in hand they were passing through Centennial Park on the way to Lois’ apartment. It was a pleasant autumn evening and they were taking their time as they walked, enjoying the time together away from the office.

When they reached the vicinity of the fountain, Clark suggested that they stop for a minute.

As Lois was sitting down on the edge of the fountain she was thinking, <Clark has been acting so strangely today it’s like he’s been preoccupied with something. I hope he doesn’t feel too bad about leaving me abruptly last night. He really needed to respond to that call for help. How was he to know it was some crazy groupie just wanting to tell him how much she wanted him and propositioning him? I don’t blame him, I blame her. What? What’s he doing?>

Clark knelt down on one knee in front of Lois and took one of her hands in his before he said, “Lois, I have loved you from the first minute I met you. We’ve worked together now for a while and you’ve known my secret for a while. You accept me for who I am. You accept all my flaws. I can’t picture my future without you in it.”

Lois was feeling light headed. She thought, <Is this really happening? Is he doing what I think he’s doing?>

Clark continued, “I don’t want a future without you so, I want to ask you to share that life with me. Lois Lane, will you marry me?” As he spoke this line he pulled a little velvet box out of his pocket and opened it displaying a diamond engagement ring.

Lois was happy, excited, frightened, apprehensive, overjoyed and breathless. Finally she put the hand that Clark wasn’t holding up to her heart and gasped for a breath to replace the one she had been holding. Joy became the overwhelming feeling and it manifested as a smile that grew and grew. When she was finally capable of coherent speech she dreamily said, “Yeah, I would, I mean, yes, I do, uh, will, uh, YES, Yes, I will marry you.”

Clark pulled the ring out of the box and started to slip it on her finger, but it was slightly too small. Lois said, “Maybe if I used some soap it would slip on.”

Clark said, “No, then you might not be able to get it off.”

With determination Lois asked, “Why would I want to take it off? Once I have it on, no one is getting it off of me.”

Chuckling slightly, Clark said, “There may be occasions. What if you get so mad at me that you decide you want a divorce or if you decide you can’t handle being married to you know who anymore?”

Looking deep into his eyes and speaking in all seriousness, Lois said, “There is nothing you could do and no problems created by you know who that would cause me to want to end this marriage.”

Clark said, “Just the same, why don’t I pick you up in the morning and take you to Mazik’s Jewelers and have your finger sized and have the ring adjusted.”

Lois slipped the ring on another finger that it would fit and said, “I’m wearing it here until tomorrow. I don’t know if I’m going to be willing to leave it with them.”

“If I ask them to rush maybe they could get it done in just a couple of days.”

“Ohhhhh, I guess, if I have to I have to. But I don’t have to like it.”

They finished the trip to her apartment and spent the evening together. Now that she had a ring she felt more confident in their relationship and that evening they rounded second base and were moving toward third when a fire truck passed directly by her apartment house and he had to go.

October 2, 1993

The day of the White Orchid Ball was upon them.

First thing in the morning Clark took Lois to Mazik’s Jewelers and started the process for having the ring made the appropriate size.

Also that morning Lex had called Nigel in. “Nigel, this evening we’ll have several members of the space sub-committees in the Senate and House at the ball. Have a meeting room prepared so that I can get them together and try to convince them to throw their support behind my offer to assist with the space program. Have the appropriate libations available. Send in Mrs. Cox on your way out.”

A couple of minutes later Mrs. Cox entered. “Mrs. Cox, please contact Mitzie and have her send a few of the girls over to act as hostesses for the meeting I’m planning with the members of the Senate and House sub-committees. It would be nice if she would have the special room, you know, her Presidential Suite, ready if any of the esteemed members of government would like to accompany one of the girls back to her establishment. Tell her to make sure that the girls are dressed appropriately.”

“I’ll take care of it Lex.”

“I know, I can always count on you.”

She sashayed out of his office with a sexy swaying of her hips while he looked on appreciatively.

A few seconds later Lex’s intercom buzzed. “Yes?”

“Lex, Miranda is here to see you.”

Lex let out a virulent expletive and then calmed himself and depressed a key. “Send her in.”

The door opened and in stepped Miranda Michaels. She didn’t beat around the bush but came straight to the point. “Lex, What did you think of my little demonstration?”

“What demonstration would that be?”

“The Daily Planet, I used my pheromone spray on the staff. They were incapacitated by love for two whole days and that was a diluted sample.”

“Well, yes, it was effective, but what possible use could it be put to?”

“Lex, just imagine the police so distracted by love that they failed to interfere with a bank robbery.”

“There is a problem with application, how long the effects would last, would they actually be distracted enough. There are just too many variables to make it feasible.”

“All it will take is some more funding and I can perfect it.”

“No, I don’t think I’m going to continue to support this.”

“What about the money you owe me for the work I’ve already done?”

“No, I don’t think so. You were doing this on your own.” Lex stood up and stepped around his desk. Once in front of it he leaned back against it.

Moving in closer to him she continued, “Don’t give me that! I did this research because you said you’d fund it. You should give me what you owe me.” Her tone changed and took on a slightly sultry note as she continued, “If you can’t, maybe we could compromise.” She reached out and started toying with his tie. “Why don’t we do this, the Ball is tonight. I’d be willing to forgive what you owe me if you’d invite me to come as your date. It could be like old times. After the Ball we could spend some time together.” This last was said as she glanced in the direction of his private apartment.

Shaking his head Lex replied, “Miranda, Miranda, you know that there is no ‘we’, not anymore. That’s ancient history.”

Dropping her hands to her sides she retorted in an angry tone, “In other words there’s no us *and* no money.”

With something of a sneer in his tone and on his face he replied, “That’s right.” Lex turned around to pick up a cigar from his humidor. When he turned back around Miranda sprayed him in the face with a liquid from a small atomizer she had carried in her pocket. “Ugh, what was that? It smells like old athletic socks,” he said as he waved his hand in front of his face in an attempt to dissipate whatever it had been.

With a tone of superiority and mystery in her voice she replied, “Just one of my concoctions. I call it ‘Revenge’.” She gave her brew a few seconds to act before continuing, “Are you sure that there isn’t anything that you want to say to me?”

With a tone of finality in his voice Lex replied, “Just good day. You can see yourself out.”

With a more than disappointed air she turned to leave. “You haven’t heard the last of me Lex.” She turned to give him one last look as she exited only to see him blow a smoke ring and exhibit his obvious pleasure with the cigar.

After she returned to her shop Miranda checked the contents of the atomizer. She sprayed a male lab rat and then placed it in the cage of a female. The male rat went through the courting ritual normal for rats which consisted of checking to make sure that his companion was a female and then he mounted her, repeatedly.

She started muttering to herself “Why didn’t it work? This compound should have had him groveling at my feet begging me to love him and make love to him. I wonder if it has a delayed response in the human species. It sure worked on *this* rat. Why didn’t it work on *that* rat in LexTower?”

Flashback TBC

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 2 – Nell and Lucille

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:47 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj