Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Let me know what you think of these developments.
huh

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
About the 0:50 mark: Assume Crash Positions.

In a related note, it looks like I picked the wrong week to give up smoking.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
She looked around for Clark, but apparently she’d arrived at work before him on this day when she needed a listening ear. So she transferred some of her fury to him, just because she could.
Wait, why is Clark not being there so detrimental? Can't she just talk to him telepathically?

How dare he not be available when she needed someone at whom she could vent!
Or does telpathic venting not work?

Lois didn’t know if Cat meant that she was sorry that Lois was in a bad mood or if she was sorry she’d asked the question.
Cat: I take both as the right answer.

“Good.” Lois pulled a chair close to Cat’s desk and spoke in low tones. “My parents and my sister are flying into the city tonight.”
shock run for the hills. Oh, hopefully she can hide her Superness from them.

Cat waited for the next sentence, but Lois said nothing else. “Your parents and your sister are coming to visit you?”

Lois lifted her hands to the heavens for a moment. “Yes!”

Cat frowned. “And – you see this as a bad thing?”
Cat clearly is not a very good spy for Dr. Carlin if she does not know Lois does not like her family.

“Just your normal, screwed-up, dysfunctional nuclear family unit, every day getting one day closer to a critical mass meltdown.”
Arn't Lois' parents divorced? So that would count as the family unit already melted down. Or is this one of those stories where Lois' parents are still married. There have been a few of them, including one where M&J are Lois' parents, and S&E are Clark's parents, but even in that one S&E were married, although they had been through some very rough times in the past. Since we have not yet met S&E in this story, I don;t really remember the details.

“Yes, Ms. Grant?”
Is this the first call in we have seen since St. John was eliminated?

“Yes. Sorry I don’t have more, but I wanted to let you know as soon as I could.”
Is Cat doing the call incessantly and annoy your handler with the hope they will lower the marker just to get rid of you technique?

Lois shook her head again. “No, really, I’ll be fine. You go see if Rebecca needs a lift home from the hospital. She’s supposed to be released this evening, isn’t she?”
Clark: Oh, right, Rebecca, almost forgot about her.

Lois nodded. “Don’t worry. I don’t take chances with airplanes and lightning.”
Good thing, we don't want a bunch more super people. The power in the wrong hands would be very dangerous.

“Just hold on, Ellen,” her husband said as he patted her hand.
I guess this is one of the S&E still married stories, like Green-eyed Monster (OK, that is about the only non-canon thing these two stories have in common, so I am not trying to say one writer plagerized the other or anything)

“Now see here, Lucy Lane! Just because you’re going to college in Metropolis doesn’t mean you can speak that way to me! Your pilot boyfriend is a bad influence on you!”
Do all Lane women like men who can fly.

Lois: I have no idea what you are talking about.

“Fine, Mom, he’s just after my body. Never mind that we’re talking about getting married next summer.
At this rate she will be married before Lois.

One piece of metal seemed to pop off the side of the engine and puncture the rear of the wing. Bird strike, she thought, or maybe just debris kicked up by the storm,
Or is it a bomb set by agents of Dr. Carlin?

Lucy looked out the window again and saw a flying person wearing what looked like a black jumpsuit under the wing where the damaged engine was now streaming a thinning plume of white smoke.
This is the test, can Lois decieve her family members.

Now that she looked closer, she could even see Ultra Woman’s figure clearly.
shock Lois is going to have her cover blown.

Her arms and shoulders weren’t huge by any means, but her excellent muscle definition showed through her suit. Her body tapered to a perfect waistline, and her hips were smooth and solid. Her calf muscles were picture perfect. Wonder if she uses a Stairmaster, thought Lucy.
Um, no. It is all the energy burned flying.

Oh, no, thought Lucy. Ultra Woman has a dimple on her rear end just like Lois does. I wonder if she hurt herself like Lois did when –
Well, I guess having people not looking at your face does not prevent them from noticing similiarities.

And then the woman flying under the plane lifted her face and appeared to scan along the passenger compartment, and when her eyes found Lucy’s, she stopped for a moment and almost seemed to relax. Then Ultra Woman’s gaze continued along the side of the plane and she nodded to herself.
Yep, Lois needs to take Hiding your secret 101. Of course in canon the way Clark avoided this problem was by having met Lois in his first action as Superman, so his recognizing her later on was never suspect. Even finding her desk in the newsroom could be a result of his Supervision used to see her name plate on the desk.

Those were Lois’ eyes behind that mask.
Glasses work better. The key to glasses is not what they hide per se, but people all think "Superman does not need glasses, thus CK is obviously not Super, since he needs them".

There was no way Lois was flying under the wing and helping them land. It wasn’t possible.
Well, I guess this is always the key. Lucy knows Lois is not Super, so she has the reject what she sees.

Ultra Woman – Lois – even blew on the tires and got them spinning forward to reduce the shock to that side of the airframe.
Well, I guess in this case seeing is making Lucy believe.

She wondered if Superman was available and if Lois would be willing to set her up with him. She’d never have to pay airfare again.
So much for her planned wedding to Allen.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
because of all the drunks getting sick in them and the stairs in Lois’ apartment building were too steep and the steps were too tall –
Wait, did Ellen complain about drunks getting sick? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

“So, you already sent in the story?”
Of course, you would not want Perry accusing you of getting sloppy.

Lois nodded again and smiled ruefully. “He warned me not to get rid of the cape.”

“What? Who told you that?”

“Superman, of course. The cape would have covered – ”
So capes are needed after all.

“Superman!” Lucy leaped to her feet. “You know him? Duh, of course you know him! Ultra Woman works with Superman! Yikes! My sister knows Superman! Oh, Lois, wow, wow, wow – “
Lucy: smile1 smile1 smile1

“Can I meet him? Please, Sis, can I meet him? I mean, he’s so cool and so – so super! And he’s hot! Oh, he’s so hot!
Lois: He's a widower dating another woman now.

Lucy: Just dating, not married. smile1 means I still have a chance.

Is he dating anyone? Oh, crap, are you dating him?
Has Lois not told her family she is dating Lex Luthor? Of is Lucy thinking Lex might be Superman. Or is she just not thinking. Or is she closer to the truth than Lois wants to admit. I vote for the last one, but maybe I am just biased since I think Lois and Clark should end up together.

Are you and he – do you – like up in the air and – ew! You don’t do him in the air, do you?”
Lois: Now Lucy is just jumping to conclusions.

“Allen who?”
clap

“Allen Peterson, your boyfriend! The pilot you wrote about in your last two letters!
Lucy: A pilot. Who needs a pilot when they can have Superman?

“Oh, yeah, that Allen. He’s still my boyfriend, but he wouldn’t mind if I – if Superman and I – oh, nuts. Maybe he would mind after all.”
Allen: I definantely would mind.

“Unless – oh, no, Lois, is Dad – I mean, did Mom –
Lucy: do Superman.

Lois: shock he's not that old. He was barely a year old when I was born. (Actually I am not sure he is that much older then her even)

“Oh, I’ll have to. I need to get used to getting up early for class.”
Hopefully Allen's airline flies to Metropolis and sends him there from time to time.

“College.” Lois didn’t register any recognition. “My college classes?” Still no response. “My college classes that I’m going to be attending while living with you?”

Lois jumped to her feet and leaned over her sister. “You WHAT?”
Someone forgot to tell Lois what was going on. Or did Lois just miss some memos/emails/letters.

“No. I’m sorry that Mom and Dad didn’t include you in their plans.”
I guess that is the main issue, that they did not tell Lois. The plan itself is not too horribel, although it might not be the best plan.

They laughed together. “Lucy Lane, you are the most devious, least trustworthy, and by far the sneakiest little sister in the world. You’d make a wonderful reporter.”
Now what I really want to know is, is Lucy going to meet Jimmy?

John Pack Lambert
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, drunk Ellen was really, really horrible. We didn't get to see much of Sam; is he horrible too in this universe, or do they just fight because Ellen is so horrible?

And "oh, nuts. Maybe he would mind after all." Heehee!

Kerth
Kerth
How dare he not be available when she needed someone at whom she could vent!
laugh That is *so* Lois.

Oh, no, thought Lucy. Ultra Woman has a dimple on her rear end just like Lois does. I wonder if she hurt herself like Lois did when –
LOL. And I've often wondered why no one noticed that Superman had a freckle above his lip, just like Clark Kent did. Perhaps Facial Recognition Deficiency Syndrome doesn't extend to rear ends!

The 'revelation' was great, Terry. Amusing, and in character for both sisters.

Corrina.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
And I've often wondered why no one noticed that Superman had a freckle above his lip, just like Clark Kent did.
Because as Martha pointed out, nobody is looking at his face.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lucy discovered Ultra Woman is her sister by noticing a dimple on Lois' butt? Really?

Martha was right, she should have stuck with the cape. It is a little harder to watch someone's movements when they are covered by a cape. The body teems to make tiny changes that alter the movements as a whole. Which is another reason why people have difficulty seeing Lois Lane as Ultra Woman.

I'm very curious to know what Clark and Rebecca have to say to each other when she gets out of the hospital. If he's smart he'll end the relationship and let her get on with her life. Hmmm, this is a really wild thought: have Becca and Lex get together! smile1 That'll solve everyone's problems.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
Morgana, that's exactly what I've been thinking. And I totally loved this part, for all the things already mentioned. notworthy

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wonderful comments! I'll try to respond to some of them.

John, you certainly picked out a bunch of stuff!

Telepathic venting: I don't think it would be as emotionally satisfying as blowing spit on Clark's shirt.

Cat doesn't know about Lois' family? Hmm. Maybe Cat thinks Carlin doesn't care, or maybe Lois thinks that her family situation is so bizarre that it would drive Cat away from her. I leave that to each reader's interpretation.

No bomb on the plane, just a real accident. I'm not sure how much benefit Carlin would reap from knocking down random airliners.

Yeah, Ellen complained about drunks in cabs. Ironic, no? Somebody email Alanis Morrisette!

Will Lucy meet Jimmy? Yes, but it's off-camera. I was trying to keep this story from sprouting extra plot bunnies from the get-go, and a Jimmy-Lucy romance just didn't fit.

Iolanthe, thanks for the clip! One of my favorite comedies.

AmyPrime, we'll see a bit more of Sam in the next chapter. Not too much, though. I wouldn't let him take over and he's a little miffed about it.

Corrina, thanks for the kudos about the reveal. I tried to show that Lucy had grown up a bit from Lois' rather bitter description of her at the end of "The Road Taken" as being a flighty slut. I think Lois exaggerated a bit back then due to her own emotional stresses.

Morgana, we'll see what happens between Clark and Rebecca before the end of the story. I advise laying in a supply of tissues. (My betas know what I mean.)

Lara, thanks for endorsing Morgana's suggestion that Lex and Rebecca get together. We'll see if that actually happens before the end of the story.

Next chapter coming up soon! Thanks for reading, y'all.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard