Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 22/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

The night before he was scheduled to meet with Herb, Alt Superman stopped by Clark’s apartment. He was surprised to find he wasn’t home. He thought for a second and took off again. A few seconds later he was hovering outside the window of Lois’ apartment. Lois and Clark were on her couch looking at papers which were spread out on her coffee table amidst the remains of Chinese takeout containers, obviously working on an investigation. Alt Superman knocked on the window.

Startled at the sudden sound Lois looked up and then looked at Clark and arched an eyebrow. Clark shrugged his shoulders and said, “Let him in.”

Lois arose and walked over to the window and opened it. She stood back as he entered. As he landed on her floor she said, “Superman, we weren’t expecting to see you.” She looked over at Clark again and said, “I haven’t forgotten what you told me, but, you didn’t tell me … everything … did you?”

Curious now Alt Superman asked, “What didn’t I tell you?”

“That you weren’t *my* Superman.”

Alt Superman looked over at local Clark. Local Clark nodded and stood up. He moved over behind Lois and put his arms around her waist from behind. She released a sigh and leaned back into his embrace.

Alt Superman said, “Ah ha, well, I guess you two don’t need me around any longer.” He looked at Clark and said, “I came around to say goodbye. My ride is coming tomorrow so you’ll be back on duty. I’m glad that the two of you are together now. I wish you my best.”

Local Clark said, “Thanks,“ he looked down at Lois as he finished, “for everything.”

Lois added, “Yes, for everything. If it hadn’t been for our talk, I might have missed the forest for seeing the trees. You were right. Clark *is* the best thing to ever happen to me.”

Alt Superman said, “Just keep that in mind and another thing to keep in mind is the fact that together you are stronger than either of you separately. To quote a favorite character of mine,” With a deadpan expression and giving the Vulcan hand salute he said, “‘Live long and prosper’.”

Their expressions were that of total mystification. Alt Superman asked, “Didn’t you guys have a TV program called ‘Star Trek’?”

Lois answered, “No, nothing by that name.”

Alt Superman, “You don’t know what you were missing. It takes place in the future and it’s about an organization called Starfleet. They have a faster than light drive. They are explorers and encounter different sentient species. Anyhow, their Science Officer is an alien called Spock and he is from a planet where they suppress their emotions. That was his hand salute and parting phrase. It was a very entertaining series. Maybe as writers you could come up with some stories along that line. Who knows, they could be best sellers.”

With a dubious look Lois said, “I’ll think about it. Maybe after I finish my romance.”

Alt Clark smiled as he gently said, “Goodbye.” He turned and lifted off through the open window.

And now:

Epilogue
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 030 x Gamma 100 x Tau 185
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In a remote section of the Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia a portal opened in the air. Unnoticed, Herb stepped through the portal and proceeded to the area around the Tomb of the Unknowns. Arriving there he spotted Clark, dressed in his normal GQ style business attire and walked over to him. His arrival was timed perfectly and he walked up and greeted Clark just in time to watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Standing side by side they silently watched the very moving ceremony. When it finished Herb turned away and indicated that Clark should accompany him, so he and Clark strolled away together.

Herb asked, “Well, how did it go, my boy?”

Clark related the story of his latest mission and then finished up with, “Another success, another Lois and Clark together, another universe on the path to Utopia. Herb, how many more of these missions do I have to go on? I mean, yeah, it’s rewarding saving them and bringing them together, but, it’s not helping me. I’m still as alone as the day Lois died.”

Herb replied, “I know my boy, I have known that this was going to be a strain on you, but, it was necessary. You have performed marvelously. As anticipated in each mission you have saved and brought together the Lois Lane and Clark Kent of that universe. The number of universes which through your direct effort are now on the path to utopia that would not have been otherwise is significant. You have done yeoman’s work my lad. The good news is that there remains just one final mission. Can you do one more mission?”

“Yeah, I guess so Herb. What’s the situation this time?”

Herb said, “Let’s continue our stroll, I have a lot to tell you. This is truly your last mission because this mission is to unite you with Lois.”

Herb gave his last statement a few seconds to sink in. He was rewarded by the grin that spread on Clark’s face.

Clark, still wary asked, “Really? You have found a Lois without a Clark?”

“My boy, let’s go over there and sit on that bench. We have a lot to discuss.”

comments go here

The End, of this Volume
The companion story / sequel is
Clark and Lois – Hope Realized - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 5

Footnotes:

1. Jack Benny was married to Mary Livingstone (born: Sadie (Marrix) Marks), a cousin of the Marx brothers, who was many years his junior. Knowing that he was dying he set up a trust with a florist so that a single rose would be delivered to her daily after his death. The day after the funeral she started receiving the roses and it was a week or so before her grief at her loss lessened enough to question the source of the flowers. She then started asking questions and found out that Jack was the source. It was a testament to his love for her and the deliveries continued until her death in 1983. http://www.snopes.com/glurge/benny.asp
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLEVE

To be continued in – Clark and Lois – Hope Realized – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 5

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:36 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj