Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 17/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

Before any news of the capture of Goodson was able to leak out the police raided the house at the end of the tunnel and found Gables, McCarthy, Martinez and Williams.

When Gables was being cuffed he was raving, obviously insane. Albie Swinson, remorseful over his part in the scheme, gave the entire story once he had been booked as an accomplice.

Gables had been a research scientist at STAR Labs and had performed an illegal experiment after developing what was called the Alpha Virus. Four technicians had died and he had been fired. He had refused to assume responsibility for his actions and had conceived a plan to take revenge. He was going to release the Alpha Virus on the city. The team of convicts he had assembled was going to break in to STAR Labs and steal a vial of the virus. They had stopped them just in time.

The next day Mayson went to visit Scardino in the hospital. When she entered his room he brightened up and said, “Well, if it isn’t my favorite ADA. What can I do for you?”

“I just came to see if my favorite DEA Agent would like to cash in his rain check. I hear they are going to release you this afternoon.”

Daniel replied, “Don’t mind if I do. I may need some help though. Got one wing in a sling.”

Mayson replied, coyly, “I think we can manage.” She left and returned to her office. A little later Superman stopped by.

“Ms. Drake, Mayson, sorry about last night. I was tied up.”

She replied, “That’s okay, Superman, it all worked out. You’ll be happy to know that Daniel and I solved the crime. It was a series of escapes. We corralled the whole gang.”

Superman looked around before he said, “I don’t see Agent Scardino. Did he return to his office?”

“Well, no, he’s in the hospital. I’m picking him up in a little while. He took a bullet meant for me. I owe him. We’re having dinner at my place tonight. Do you mind?”

“Mayson, I don’t mind. You know, I’ve really been thinking, I can’t get involved with women. If I did, they would become a target for kidnappers among other things. I don’t think you’d want to risk that.”

Mayson knew, deep down that he was actually being chivalrous and stepping aside so that she could see Daniel even though she still suspected that there was something there between them. A spark that could possibly have ignited into a flame if given half a chance.

And now:

Chapter 15 – Stop the Presses Again
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha 025 x Gamma 120 x Tau 086
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Rubbing his hands together Herb said, “Well, well my boy. I must say that you handled that excellently. After you saved Mayson, she could have become a problem, but by matchmaking her with Daniel you removed that complication. I hope that they will be happy together.”

Clark replied, “I think that they will be, or at least they will be distracted with each other long enough for Lois and Clark to firm up their relationship so that it will withstand the assault. As you always say, ‘only time will tell’.” He started chuckling as he finished up this quote.

Herb was also chuckling as he said, “Jolly good! Yes, only time *will* tell. Well, are you ready for the next mission? This time Clark is going to be attacked with a Quantum Disbander while he is trapped in an area where the sunlight is blocked.”

“Keep in mind that in this particular incident that Lois and Clark are already married and Lois has been promoted to the position of Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet. If you’re ready we will go now.”

Clark replied, “I guess that I’m about as ready to go as I ever will be.” He hefted his overnight bag as Herb pulled the TaDT out of his pocket and entered the coordinates of time and space.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha 020 x Gamma 155 x Tau -180
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Once again as they stepped through and Clark found himself on the same street as on both of the previous trips when they moved through the portal. They proceeded to the same convenience store as the last time and checked the paper. This time the masthead had Lois Lane as Editor-in-Chief so Herb said, “Well, my boy, it looks like we are right on time.”

“As usual I will meet you in a month. I’ll meet you January tenth, 10AM Central in the mall at the north end of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.” Herb pulled out his TaDT and entered the coordinates as he walked into the alley nearby. He stepped through the portal onto the mall and almost literally bumped into Clark. He said, “Well, my boy, how did it go?”

They started strolling toward the Mississippi river as they talked. Clark said, “Well, there was a point there when there was more danger to Clark than we thought. I almost failed.”

Flashback

As usual Clark had gone to Mazik’s and converted some gems to cash and taken lodging at the Apollo before he started looking for the local Lois and Clark.

Herb had briefed Clark on what to expect and had given him some background. He told him that the story that Clark was working on dealt with a notorious computer hacker, Eric Press. The previous year he had been the one behind the hacking of the Pentagon’s main frame. According to Jimmy Olsen it had been the coolest prank ever and had called Eric the ‘Michael Jordan’ of hackers. The Pentagon hadn’t been as happy about his ‘prank’ as the rest of the ‘hacking’ community but he had gotten off easy because he, at that time, was still a juvenile. Recently he had gone ‘underground’ and it had become increasingly difficult to prove he had been involved in the recent hacker attacks. His parents disclaimed any knowledge of his whereabouts.

Lois and Clark had been in the middle of the investigation into Eric Press when suddenly Perry was promoted and he had selected Lois as his replacement as Editor-In-Chief. Of course it was only on a temporary basis, until a permanent replacement could be found, that is of course unless Lois really did a bang up job and they decided to make the promotion permanent.

Perry had pulled Clark aside and reassured him that it had been a difficult decision and that the final point had been seniority. Lois had been with the Planet longer so she got it.

As on one of the previous missions, Alt Clark flew into the supply room just off the bullpen and watched and listened. As soon as he entered the supply room he noted some differences. The FAX and the copy machine had been moved in to free up the copy room to be used as office space. In this universe Catherine Grant was something of a prima donna and had insisted on her own office. Perry was just as happy to accommodate her in this way since it kept her and her revealing attire out of sight, most of the time. However, the FAX and copy machines being in the supply closet could potentially cause a problem for him because it would mean more people coming in and out interrupting him and forcing him to leave.

A copy of today’s issue of the Planet was lying on top of the copier so he picked it up and read about an incident the previous night when Superman had been called on to evacuate a building because of a hydrogen leak. After he had removed the last lab tech and had gone back in for a double check, the building had exploded. It had started as a routine rescue until the hydrogen exploded. It was reported that a technician had stated that a computer controlled system that controlled the flow from the hydrogen tanks had malfunctioned.

A few minutes after he got positioned he heard the elevator ding and saw local Clark exit. Jimmy had been passing nearby as he came down the ramp and Clark stopped him and asked, “Jimmy, Can you do something for me?”

Jimmy, anxious to do anything that would keep him busy and away from a girl that he thought was stalking him said, “Anything, name it.” He turned and indicated that Clark should do the same. He was looking at the girl he was worried about. She gave him a sweet smile.

Clark was more concerned with what he needed and said, “Uh, I need you to get a list of the last outgoing calls from Eric Press’s modem line, from before he went missing, as soon as possible.”

Jimmy said, “Gladly! I’ll pull the LEXCOM records.”

Clark clapped him on the shoulder and said, “Thanks,” as he rushed off to the staff meeting.

Jimmy, still flustered about that girl, made a show of having something to do for Clark and said, loudly, “Right, you got it Mr. Kent. I’ll get that for you right away.” He realized that the elevator doors at his back were just starting to close so he darted into the elevator. After the doors closed he said, out loud. To himself, “This is nuts.”

Lois was running through the staff and their story assignments when Clark entered and took a seat. Ralph was just outlining his current story involving the Mayor in a sex scandal.

“Ralph said, “Looks like page one here. Everything says that the Mayor is definitely having an affair with that call girl.”

Lois replied, “Sounds more like tabloid page one to me.”

Ralph replied, “Agreed, except for his honor’s pillow talk. Apparently he spills the beans on some major corruption. I’m just waiting for my source to confirm it.”

Lois said, “Okay. Keep me posted.” She turned to Clark who had entered late and asked, “Clark, are you any further along on that missing hacker story?”

With a surprised look her said, “Further along?”

Lois replied, “Do you have any new leads?”

Clark cleared his throat and said, “Nothing concrete, but, I think I’m close.” Feeling the pressure to say something else her said, “That lab explosion yesterday. It looks like it was caused by someone tapping into their computers. It could be him.”

Lois asked, “Can you prove a connection?”

He replied, “Not yet, but, I’ve got Jimmy working on something that might.”

Lois said, “So, there’s no story there.”

Clark replied, “Again, not yet. I just need some time to break it.”

Lois asked, “Uh, can I talk to you outside? Just take a second.” She turned back to the rest of the staff and said, “Be right back.” She turned and left the conference room with Clark following.

As soon as the door was closed behind Clark the rest of the staff got up and crowded the windows to see the confrontation.

Clark asked, “Lois, what are you doing? I mean, if I didn’t know any better I’d say you were trying to kill my story.”

Lois looked past Clark at the faces in the window and gave them a stern look. They faded away from the window.

Clark said, “Wait a minute, you *are* killing my story.”

Lois said, “Clark, I’m sorry, but, I don’t have a choice. You don’t understand the pressure I’m under to generate good stories.”

Clark was becoming exasperated as he said, “It takes time to build good stories Lois. You know that better than anyone.”

Lois heard her name being called and turned to see what was needed. A secretary said, “Ms. Lane, Copy Department on line two five.”

Lois said, “I’ll be right there.”

Clark said, “You thought there was a story there when we were working on it.”

Lois said, “That’s true, when I had one story to worry about, now I have fifty.”

The secretary shouted, “They said it’s really important.”

She turned back to Clark and said, “Let’s talk about this later. In the mean time I want to team you up with Ralph on that Mayor story, okay?”

Clark was incredulous and he blurted out “Ralph?!?!? Lois, you’ve got to be kidding!” Clark looked back over his shoulder at Ralph as he waved while laughing at Clark’s discomfiture from the conference room.

Just then Alt Superman saw someone headed for the supply room so he exited through the window.

Later on there was another emergency that local Superman responded to at the missile test center and Alt Superman followed from a distance.

He was watching as Superman landed and asked, “What’s wrong”

A very frazzled scientist said, “We can’t shut it down. The computer system is actually forcing the engine to overheat.”

Superman asked, “Can’t you shut off the fuel supply?”

He replied, “The only way is to fuse the internal pump. Superman, we’ve got a nuclear warhead in the silo. If this thing explodes …”

Superman interrupted him saying, “Go!”

Not needing a second invitation both of the scientists ran.

Superman went over to the rocket and stood in the exhaust and, since he was able to look directly into the propulsion system, he used his heat vision to fuse the fuel supply pump which shut down the engine. The flaming exhaust hadn’t harmed him or even singed his Suit but he did feel slightly drained from his aura drawing so much energy to protect him. Once the engine shut down though the sunlight quickly recharged him and within seconds he was able to fly off.

Alt Superman flew back and hid in the supply closet again.

A few minutes later local Clark came back into the newsroom and spotting Jimmy asked, “How are you coming on those phone records I asked you for?”

Jimmy, not wanting to get into the middle stuttered, “Uhhhhhh maybe you ought to talk to Lois about that. She sorta told me you weren’t on the story any longer.”

Clark rolled his eyes and looked heavenward seeking relief before heaving a frustrated sigh and brushing past Jimmy.

Clark walked into the editor’s office. Lois was sitting there admiring her name on the masthead ‘Lois Lane – Editor In Chief. He asked, “Got a minute Lois?”

Embarrassed because of what she had been doing, Lois quickly closed the paper and set it aside as she said, “Oh, yeah, just, ah, checking the typesetting,” as she folded the paper.

Clark said, “I just got back from watching Superman save a test rocket from nearly exploding.”

Lois glanced out the open door to see if anyone was nearby to hear their exchange and with a concerned look on her face asked, “Is Superman all right?”

Clark had a more conspiratorial tone as he continued, “Yeah, he’ll live, but, whoever caused it tapped into their computer system. It’s got Eric Press’ MO written all over it.”

As she rose from her chair and moved over to close the door she asked, “Do you think it’s tied to the lab explosion?”

“Maybe, yeah, which means that obviously this isn’t some kind of prank. He’s up to something big.”

She moved back to her desk, sat down and folded her hands as with a skeptical look she asked, “Do you have any evidence to support that?”

He dropped his head in frustration and said, “No.”

She said, “So you *still* can’t prove a connection.”

“Lois, there’s a *story* here, I *know* it. I just have to *find* it.”

“Without hard facts, there is no story Honey. I’m *sorry*.”

He was so shocked he was stuttering, “I, I, I can’t believe you’re saying this. As a *reporter* you would *never* take that position.”

“As a *reporter*, no. But I’m talking as an *editor*. Now, if I’m wrong, I’ll take the heat for it, but I’m just trying to do what’s best for the paper.”

“And I’m trying to do what’s best for my story and for the living breathing people of Metropolis who might buy the paper.”

Lois let out an exasperated sigh before she said, “You know you’re not the only one that fights for truth, justice and the American way, in fact if I recall, I’m the one that coined that phrase.”

Becoming more than a little exasperated Clark asked, “Your point?”

“My point is that *without* hard facts I *can’t* have you on this story and as the *editor*, I’m assigning you to *Ralph’s* story.”

“You don’t need a *reporter* for Ralph’s story; you need a *hook and ladder* because that boy is blowing smoke. He does not *have* a story!”

Lois put her hands down flat on her desk as she asked, “How do you think it makes me look when everybody sees you working on a story that I explicitly took you off of.”

“Like you’re letting me follow my reporter’s instincts.”

“You know what I think, I think that you have a real problem with the fact that I’m the one in the family wearing the tights, uh, pants, I mean pants.”

“That’s ridiculous.”

“Really, then why were you moping around at dinner last night?”

“Moping? How would you know, you weren’t even there half the time.”

“And you’re the one that took off in the middle of it!”

“A bridge collapsed Lois. What do you want me to do?”

“Well, I was dealing with my own crisis.”

In frustration Clark threw up his hands as he said, “Yeah, I noticed,” then he turned and stalked away.

As he did, Lois said, “See, I knew this was gonna affect us!”

Clark turned with his hand on the doorknob and said, “Well, congratulations!” as he pulled on the door and it came off the hinges in his hand.

He stormed out the door which was no longer there and Lois sat down. She sighed and said, almost to herself, “First fight.”

Alt Superman had to exit hastily; he had been so absorbed in what he had been watching he almost missed someone headed for the closet. He decided to take a look around at this Metropolis.

He moved too fast or too high to be seen depending on where he was. While in the Hobbs Bay area his superhearing picked up a soft voice saying, “You Press…?” Knowing that Eric Press was missing and the object of local Clark’s current investigation, he thought that it would be prudent to check this out. He thought that maybe the kidnappers were doing the deal here. Landing silently on a nearby rooftop and looking over the parapet he saw a gray haired man in a trench coat and sunglasses carrying what appeared to be a rather large aluminum case. He thought, <Sunglasses, this late in the day?> Trenchcoat man was addressing a lanky young man.

The young man said, “That’s me.” He swaggered a bit as he moved toward the man.

Trenchcoat man sounded incredulous. “You’re the one who contacted me?”

Alt Clark had seen a picture of Eric Press and knew that this wasn’t him but he did recognize the family resemblance to him. The young man said, “Actually, that was my brother. He’s the one with the high level access.” That confirmed Clark’s supposition. It also told him that Eric Press wasn’t really missing. He was working *with* his brother.

Trenchcoat man sounded bored now. “Whatever. Just so we're clear; we're not having this conversation, this weapon doesn't exist, and I'm not really here.”

Press was obviously itching to get his hands on the item, so he replied with a quick, “I understand…”

There was a flat surface nearby and the man placed the case on it and opened it. Inside was a shiny device looking like a beer keg with a pistol grip, a small telescope and at the ‘business’ end, a clear object which was probably the barrel mounted on it. “What you're looking at is the most deadly weapon on Earth, the Quantum Disbander, a new and improved version of the Quantum Disruptor.” As he lifted it out of the case he swung into the sales pitch, “It's lighter and more energy conscious than its predecessor, yet still more than capable of long range target annihilation.”

The only reply Press made was a calm, “Cool.”

Trenchcoat man enthused, “A lightning blast of supercharged particles blasts the selected target, departicalizing its molecular structure until it -- disappears. Forever. Beyond permanently.”

The young man asked politely, “May I?” and extended his hands.

The man handed him the weapon he asked, “Out of curiosity, what are you going to use that for?”

Holding the weapon at arm’s length and admiring it, Press replied calmly, “Actually, I'm testing to see exactly how much force it requires to drain Superman's super reserves which would, according to my theory, render him vulnerable, which would then, in turn, create a brief window of opportunity for me to be able to kill him. And, from everything you've described, this weapon sounds like it'll do just the trick.”

The man who had been blasé was clearly appalled and ready to run.

Ethan pointed the business end at the man and asked, “Does it work like this? Oops, I forgot – you’re not really here.” Before he had a chance to bolt, Ethan pressed the trigger and trenchcoat man started to dissolve right in front of his eyes.

Alt Superman watched in horror as the man disappeared in a swirling ball of disassociated particles, systematically breaking him apart into a billion bits, then -- poof! -- what was left of him fell to the ground like fairy dust.

Press looked admiringly at the gun. “Totally cool.”

Alt Superman now knew what he was here for. But he needed to wait and see what was happening because Eric Press was still missing and they needed them both if this case was to be resolved properly. He decided that he should follow this Press brother and see if he led him to his brother.

He noted the direction he was headed and giving him a slight head start took off to follow. The problem was that as soon as he was airborne and started looking for him, he had disappeared from sight. He started using his enhanced vision, but he ran into a problem that he hadn’t anticipated. There was a lot of lead based paint in all of these old buildings and it was nearly impossible to see anything.

Knowing that the Press brothers now had the weapon he would need to be extra alert in his efforts to protect local Superman. He headed back to the Apollo.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 16 – Revelation

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:31 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj