Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 14/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

Alt Superman didn’t know where local Clark was off to but he decided to continue to follow Mayson. After returning to her office to check on some paperwork she eventually wound up back at the Daily Planet. He flew into the supply closet again and started to observe. They had arrived just before a televised news conference announcing that Superman had turned over a load of atomic warheads to terrorists.

Mayson was in the newsroom again and Clark and Lois were standing right behind her as they heard the announcement and they were blown away by it.

Perry said, “Oh, boy, I just never thought I’d see the day when Superman turned to crime.”

Mayson turned to them and smugly said, “I’ve said all along that he was a menace, now he’s proved it.”

Clark interrupted, “He’s been tricked Chief, I’m positive.”

Lois jumped in, “Superman would never help terrorists.”

Perry was standing there with his arms crossed as he said, “Yeah, well then why isn’t he out there try’n to make good?”

Mayson smugly offered, “Because he’s a criminal, that’s why.”

Clark said, “You know, I just remembered something really important I have to do. Excuse me.”

Perry brought him up short by asking, “More important than a bunch of terrorists blowing us all from here to Elvis and back? Now you get your butt over there in your chair and you start typing.” He looked at Lois and said, “You too. I want everything you’ve got on this mess and I want it in a half an hour.”

As he stalked away, Lois said, “Right, Chief.”

They started to head for their desks. Mayson stopped Clark, “Clark, um, I guess I picked a bad time to finish our conversation, but, you still owe me for lunch.”

She turned to Lois and sarcastically said, “Um, and Lois, thanks for taking that message for me.” Just before she turned and walked away.

Lois said, “You know, the big news is going to be, who finds those nuclear warheads.”

Clark said, “Believe me, I’d love to solve this but even Superman wouldn’t know where to look.”

Just at this point Alt Superman saw someone headed to the supply closet, so he had to make his exit again. He decided to find Mayson and follow her again. From what he had seen and heard he knew that this Mayson was very much like his Mayson, that is, before she really got to know him. She headed back to her office and settled in so he decided to go back and follow local Clark.

And now:

Chapter 12 – The Second Mission - Saving Mayson
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 025 x Gamma 120 x Tau 086
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

By the time Alt Clark got there though, they had left the building. He knew from their previous conversation that they were probably out looking for the warhead shipment. Not knowing where to look, he started canvassing the outskirts of Metropolis.

Just as he was passing a somewhat run down factory building north of town he heard and electronic timer start and he checked with his super vision. He saw a warhead with an active timer, the terrorists fleeing, and Lois, Jimmy and local Clark chained up to a piece of equipment.

He swooped in and broke the chain which had them bound. As he landed local Clark’s eyes almost bugged out of his head. He was so shocked he almost gave everything away as he stuttered, “Wh, wh, who, who are you?”

Alt Superman asked, “Did they hit you in the head Clark? Don’t you recognize Superman?” He couldn’t resist a small smile and a wink at local Clark.

Lois shouted, “Enough chit, chat! There’s a bomb about to explode!”

Alt Superman said, “Right. You all need to clear the area.”

Lois ran out the doors and headed for her car. As soon as Lois’ back was turned Local Clark turned to Alt Superman and confronted him, “Just who are you? What are you doing here?”

Without replying, Alt Superman ran over to the bomb and examined it. He said, “I’m here to protect you and Lois. Can we discuss this later?”

Lois was just about to reach her Jeep when she looked around and realized that Clark wasn’t with her so she turned and shouted, “Clark?!?!?!” She ran back into the factory in time to see Superman examining the warhead with Clark standing next to him.

As she ran up to him Superman asked, “Lois, what are you doing here?”

She answered, “I couldn’t find Clark. I thought he was right behind me but when I turned around he wasn’t there. I just had to find him and when I do find him he’s in here with you.”

Superman said, “You have to get out, now!”

She looked at Clark before she asked Superman, “Can’t you stop it?”

He answered, “I tried, but it has a lead shielded backup timer. If I can’t read it I can’t stop it.”

Lois looked at the timer and with desperation in her voice said, “Twelve seconds!”

Alt Superman reached over, picked up the device and said, “Looks like it’s time for a field goal.”

Lois had a worried and fearful expression as she watched him place the warhead on the floor and back up a couple of paces before he kicked the warhead like a place kicker trying for a field goal.

Clark watched as the warhead passed between a couple of smoke stacks. He shifted his attention back to Lois and Superman and started to chuckle as Lois threw her hands up in the field goal sign as she shouted, “It’s up! It’s good!” Then she started to chuckle.

Clark turned toward her and she became self-conscious about her exuberance and pulled her hands down. She had recently been disclaiming about the use of sports metaphors and here she was using one herself.

Superman said, “Excuse me a minute Lois, I’ll be right back.” He flew off.

Lois started looking around and shouting, “Jimmy!!! Now where did he get to?” Just then Superman returned with Lucky Leon and his Inter-Gang contact. Superman bound them and turned them over to Lois and Clark to give to the authorities.

Seeing that things were under control Alt Superman said, “I guess you can handle things from here. I’ll see you around.” Swooshing off with an extra flourish of his cape for Lois’ benefit, he returned to the Planet and staked himself out in the supply room again. After a time Lois, Clark and Jimmy returned.

They explained to Perry just how they had found the perps and the warheads and brought about the round-up of all involved. When they finished Perry put an arm around Jimmy’s shoulder and led him toward his office while telling another Elvis anecdote. At his office door he turned and said, “Hey, you two, Why don’t ya get outta here. Jimmy and I’ll put the paper to bed.”

Clark replied, “Thanks Chief, We promised Mayson Drake we’d stop by her office and give her our statements as soon as we could. We’re already late.”

Standing in the door to his office with his hands in his pockets Perry said, “Alright beat it then,” and turned to walk into his office.

Lois slung her bag over her shoulder and leaned over to turn off her desk lamp. As she was standing up she sighed and said, “Ahhh. One thing I don’t understand is how Lucky Leon was able to kill Borjaes.” She picked up her Desk Friend as she continued, ”Or even how he knew the clues he was feeding us were working.” She lifted the Desk Friend and tried to hand it to Clark as she said, “Here, I want you to have this back.”

Clark looked down at it and put up his hands in a defensive gesture as he said, “No, wait, we made a fair trade!”

They argued back and forth for a couple of seconds and the Desk Friend fell to the floor and broke open. When it did they discovered a digital uplink and a remote control camera. Clark with a not quite ‘I told you so’ look said, “Let’s just say it’s a good thing you didn’t keep the Bath Friend.”

Lois gave him a look that said, ‘You think you’re smart’ but then exactly what the implications of his statement were hit her and she became self-conscious pulling her jacket closed as Clark chuckled.

They left the Planet together and were walking toward the building which housed the DA’s office at a slow stroll as they talked.

Clark said, “Lois, I don’t really know … exactly how to say this … but, … Why did you come back for me tonight … to the factory? I mean, you were running back into an atomic explosion.”

Lois sighed and said, “I know. It doesn’t make too much sense does it?” She thought for a few seconds before answering, “I guess I just couldn’t leave you there.”

Making an abrupt change in topic Clark pointed out, “You slammed the door in my face last night.”

Lois sighed again and stopped walking as she turned to face him. She had a very sober expression on her face as she said, “That was … a mistake.”

Clark looking deep into her eyes gently said, “Don’t let it happen again.”

As he finished she realized that she was being forgiven and released a relieved sigh and started to smile. After a few seconds of enjoying being forgiven by him she said, “I guess we’ll … uh …just … have to see how things go. Won’t we?”

Clark very softly said, “Fortunately, there’re no doors here tonight.”

Lois with a look of fear mixed with hope softly replied, “Fortunately.” As they both slowly moved toward each other and their lips met in a gentle kiss which lasted only a short time.

When they pulled apart both realized that something wonderful had just happened and both leaned back in and started kissing again. This time his hands came up and cupped the sides of her face as the kiss deepened.

Meanwhile, at city hall, Mayson Drake was leaving the building. Alt Clark had seen her off and on during this case as she had handled it, to a certain extent interceding on Jimmy’s behalf. Alt Clark was still following and watching Lois and Clark but, hearing Mayson’s voice he was drawn to her since he had been intimately involved with her in another universe. Besides, he felt that Lois and Clark needed their privacy. He found that she actually was very close.

He heard her on her cell phone saying, “If Clark and Lois show up, tell them that I got tired of waiting. They’re not the only case I’m working on.”

He saw her insert her key into her driver’s door and unlock it. As she did he heard an electronic beep which only his superhearing would have heard. He knew that it had to be more than coincidence so he put on a burst of speed and landed between her and her car. He scooped her up and flew straight up until he felt that they were in the clear and came to a hover.

Local Clark had heard the same sound and broke away from the kiss. Lois was in a dreamy state, head tilted slightly back, eyes closed, lips slightly parted and remained that way for several seconds before the realization that Clark was no longer there registered.

Local Clark ran up but the car exploded in his face and not realizing that Mayson was not in the car he was distraught. After the smoke cleared somewhat he could see that the car was untenanted and he started looking around, however he neglected to look up.

It had happened so suddenly that Mayson was stunned for a few seconds. When she realized just what had happened she started to struggle and shout, “Just what the Hell do you think you’re doing?!?!?”

Superman said, “I heard something.” Suddenly her car exploded.

She was shocked to silence. Superman slowly descended and landed next to the remains of the car just a few seconds after local Clark Kent realized that the car was empty.

Local Clark was stunned to again see the other Superman and stuttered, “You again!”

Superman gave him a cautioning look and said, “Yes, it’s me, Clark, I realize that you don’t normally see me so much in a single day, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. Is there a problem?”

Local Clark, regaining some of his equilibrium said, “Uh, no, I guess not. Uh, how did you happen to be here?” He turned to Mayson, “Mayson, are you okay?”

Still feeling somewhat disoriented by what had happened, Mayson was slow to recover, but finally responded, “Yeah, Clark, I’m okay.” The reluctance was evident in her voice as she finished, “Thanks to Superman here. He got me away from my car, just before it exploded.”

Lois came running up at this point. She looked at Clark and asked, “What happened? I saw the explosion! Why did you run away like that?”

Local Clark tore his eyes away from Superman and looked at Lois before he said, “I, uh …”

Superman spoke up, “I think that Clark might have heard a noise the same way I did and he wanted to help out. Clark’s like that, but, of course you already know that.”

Whether it was out of exuberance at their new found relationship or the fact that Mayson was there she couldn’t be sure when she thought about it afterwards, but, Lois put her arm possessively around Clark’s waist and said, “Yeah, I know. He’s always helping me, whether I want him to or not.”

The move wasn’t wasted on Mayson. She could see that Lois was staking her claim and that if Mayson really wanted Clark, she was going to have to fight for him. Thinking about Clark’s response at lunch though, even though her feelings ran very deep for Clark she didn’t know if she really had a snowball’s chance of winning. In this kind of a contest the prize really has to want to be won and she wasn’t sure that Clark did.

Superman said, “Clark, since you are obviously occupied, I’ll see to it that Ms. Drake makes it home okay.”

Local Clark, still somewhat at a loss for words, said, “Yeah, okay. I’ll see you later then?”

Superman said firmly, “Count on it.”

Local Clark turned to Mayson and said, “We’ll stop by tomorrow and give our statements, okay?”

Mayson, somewhat distractedly replied, “That will be fine. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

With a little urging from Lois, local Clark turned and they walked away, but he did glance over his shoulder a few times. The last time he saw a patrolman arrive to take their statements before Superman picked up Mayson and took to the air.

Local Clark had been in a thoughtful mood ever since meeting the other Superman. Lois had mistaken his thoughtfulness as preoccupation about their blossoming relationship. When they got to her door she opened her lock and said, “Well, where were we? Oh, I know!” She took a step closer to Clark and slid her hands up his chest and around his neck, tangling her fingers in his hair. Slowly she brought her face closer and slowly Clark moved to meet her. Their lips met in a soft caress. Slowly the kiss deepened as they both parted their lips and their tongues met in a gentle dance.

After several minutes, breathlessly, Lois broke the kiss and asked, “Would you like to come in for a cup of coffee or something?”

Clark replied in a throaty whisper, “Or something.”

Lois, with a very big smile took his hand and pulled him into her apartment. After closing the door she led him to her couch and after he was sitting she sat on his lap. She put her arms around his neck again and he wrapped her up in his arms and they started kissing some more. Before too long they were lying side by side on the couch.

After a while, when they weren’t kissing Lois was looking deep into his dark brown eyes and she asked, “What took us so long? This just seems so right. We’ve wasted a lot of time because I was afraid to make the commitment. When I went to see Perry today, he really didn’t give me any advice, I just listened while he vented, but, he made me realize what a fool I was being. We had a terrific date and we’re still best friends and nothing is going to change that. I guess I really realized how much you meant to me when I thought you were going to die in an atomic explosion and I would be losing you. I didn’t want that. I just couldn’t bear to leave you. That’s why I came back.”

Clark replied to this with a chuckle, “I’m just glad you decided not to shut the door in my face again. Lois, I do want us to have a meaningful relationship. Every time we are together doesn’t have to be a date. If we’re working on something and have a pizza together, that’s not a date; it’s a working dinner, okay? But, I do want us to date. I want that very much.” He started choking up as he continued, “I don’t want to lose you. When you said that last night and closed the door in my face, I thought my world had ended. I couldn’t bear the thought of not being with you.

Lois reached out with her hand and started caressing the side of his face as she said, “I think I’ve settled my fears now. I want to move this relationship ahead.” She moved in for another kiss.

It was some time later that Clark returned to his apartment.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 13 – The Second Mission – Resurrection

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:25 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj