I'm going to be away from my computer tomorrow, so, here is the next chapter, a few hours early.

Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 12/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

Lois said, “You two go ahead. Clark, I’ll drive over and pick you up as soon as I can get out of here. We can go get the license this afternoon. The wedding is scheduled for the day after tomorrow. You’re all invited,” Looking over at Lex who was standing there fuming from not only being arrested but being jilted as well, she said, “except you, of course, Lex. I think you’ll be tied up.”

Superman picked up the lead lined safe which contained the Kryptonite and he and Clark walked out onto the balcony and then Superman picked him up and they took off for Clark’s apartment.

When they landed they moved inside. Clark said, “I don’t know how to thank you. I never expected this.” The local Clark went to his closet and pulled out a suit to put on.

Superman offered, “After the wedding the three of us can go somewhere and I can explain everything to both of you.”

Laughing the local Clark said, “I don’t think Lois would appreciate the Arctic.”

Superman was also laughing as he replied, “I think that Superman will offer to take you to your honeymoon resort. I’m going to make arrangements for Hawaii for you as my wedding gift. You should have your powers back in about 24 to 36 hours. I’ll fly Lois and you can follow in a few minutes to make it look like I came back for you. We’ll make the first stop a secluded beach where we can talk without being interrupted. As soon as Lois is here I’ll take off. In this lead lined safe is the Kryptonite Luthor had placed in his safes as traps for you. I’m going to take it up and launch it out of the solar system.”

Local Clark was still changing when Lois arrived so Alt Superman answered the door.

Lois hadn’t been expecting this and was surprised, but not startled to see him. She asked, “Where’s Clark?” She still hadn’t reconciled the fact that she had seen both of them together. For all the time that Superman had been around, she had never seen Superman and Clark at the same time and in the back of her mind this had been bothering her. All of those lame excuses he had given for leaving, especially when they had been in serious discussions about their relationship and just where it was going and suddenly, there was Superman dealing with an emergency. The puzzle pieces had been starting to fit together and then suddenly, somebody had bumped the table and the puzzle was scattered all over the floor. She was going to have to start all over and the picture was different now.

Local Clark heard her and shouted from his bedroom, “I’m just finishing changing. Out in a sec.”

She nodded her head and thought, <Yep, back to square one.> Looking back at Superman she thought, <I’m glad he helped Clark get the goods on Lex. If I hadn’t already decided that marrying Lex would be a mistake, they would have saved me from myself. I’m glad Clark didn’t give up on me. After that talk in the car I wasn’t so sure.>

The local Clark finished changing and joined Lois and Superman in the living room. Superman said, “Lois, a little bird told me that you have always wanted to honeymoon in Hawaii, so, as my wedding present to you I’m paying for your dream honeymoon.”

Lois let out a delighted squeal and threw her arms around his neck and gave him a kiss on the cheek. She said, “I don’t know how to thank you for everything you’ve done for us. You’ve always been here for me, us, and now you helped rescue me again, this time from myself.” She looked over at Clark with love in her eyes and said, “You helped me to realize just who was really important in my life. I know, I had a schoolgirl crush on you for the longest time, but, I know what I have with Clark is not a schoolgirl crush, it’s true love.”

Alt Superman said, “Well, we all have some things to do. I have some Kryptonite to dispose of and a honeymoon to book. You guys have to go get a license and rings. I guess I’ll see you at the wedding.” He picked up the safe and exited from the balcony. Superman flew up into the stratosphere and launched the safe as hard as he could and watched it disappear into the depths of space. Then he flew to Hawaii and made the reservations for Lois and Clark’s honeymoon. When he returned he did a patrol and then returned to the Apollo.

And now:

Chapter 10 – The First Mission – A Revelation
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 024 x Gamma 035 x Tau -180
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The wedding went off without a hitch. With the change of groom a number of people that were not planning on attending changed their minds and the hall was pushed to the limits of its capacity to hold everyone. It had given the visiting Superman unbounded pleasure to be able to fly Jonathan and Martha Kent to Metropolis for the occasion. Before the flight he spent some time with them and told them his story.

The day before the wedding

The local Clark had phoned his parents to inform them of the changes that had occurred. Of course they had seen the headlines in the Star about Luthor’s arrest. But, and it was a big but, they didn’t know about the visiting Superman. When Alt Superman arrived to fly them to Metropolis they greeted him as if he were their son.

Jonathan said, “Clark, we are so happy for you. You have finally gotten your wish. Now that you’re marrying Lois you will have a family of your own and we will have the daughter we always hoped for.”

Feeling somewhat awkward Alt Superman said, “I’m sorry, Clark should have told you. I’m not him. I mean I’m me and he is him and he’s your Clark and I’m another Clark. It’s kinda confusing. Can we go sit down and maybe I can explain.”

After the door was closed Superman spun into civilian clothes. The Kents took this in and Martha with awe in her voice said, “You’re *not* our boy, are you?”

After sitting down he said, “No, I’m not. Clark, your Clark that is, is in Metropolis still recovering from a massive Kryptonite exposure. I’m actually visiting here from another dimension. That sounds kind of science fictiony but it’s true. I guess the easiest way to explain it is like this: Think of an onion. If you slice across an onion and look at it from the top it is made up of many layers. The universes are like that, many layers or universes side by side. I’m from one of the other universes. I came here to help your Clark defeat Lex Luthor. He was supposed to die in the trap that Luthor set for him.”

He told them about his background and when he finished they welcomed him to the family and treated him as if he were their son’s twin brother and expressed sadness that he would be leaving them soon.

After the reception

Lois and Clark said farewell to the guests. Everyone saw Superman standing beside Clark as his best man, and they had all posed for the pictures so there would never be a question of Clark Kent being Superman again. With a satisfied farewell smile, Superman picked up their luggage and flew it to Hawaii. He returned in a few minutes and picked up Lois and flew off.

As anticipated local Clark had recovered his super powers so, he exited the building ostensibly to meet Superman when he returned for him but in actuality so that he could change and fly to meet the visiting Superman and Lois. They had discussed the way they should handle this so Clark landed out of sight and changed back into civvies. Alt Superman then picked him up and returned to Lois. Superman had prepared for this meeting. He had built some chairs and an awning. He had even brought some refreshments.

He started it. “Lois, you’re probably wondering why I have asked you and Clark here for a meeting.”

“Well, yeah, I am. I presume that it’s so that you can explain just who the hell you are.”

Alt Superman hadn't been prepared for this kind of response and was taken aback. He was a wordsmith but this had startled him so that all that came out was, "What? What did you say?”

“Just who the hell are you? You’re *a* Superman but you’re not *my* Superman. I knew that immediately, but, if you're *not* my Superman, then who is?”

With an arched eyebrow he looked over at local Clark. Local Clark looked back at him with a dumbfounded expression.

Looking back at Lois with a surprised expression he asked, “How do you know that I’m *not* your Superman?”

Lois said, “Little things. The errors in the conversation while we were flying. The way it felt in your arms it was just a little … off.”

Looking at local Clark again, alt Clark said, “Very perceptive. I should have expected nothing less. She’s just like my Lois.” He shook his head sadly.

With a tone of sympathy in his voice local Clark replied, “I’m so sorry. It’s such a shame that had to happen. You know, a thought just occurred to me. If you hadn’t been here in time, if I had died in that cage, you could have taken over.”

Lois had been taking in this conversation. She spoke up, “I realize I’m not part of this ‘old-boy’s club’ network but, could you let me in on this conversation? I feel like I’m being left out because I don’t have all the inside information.”

Alt Clark squared his shoulders and admitted, “Okay Lois, you’re right. We need to let you in. You are correct, I’m not *your* Superman. I’m a visiting Superman. I came because of the Luthor situation. There was a distinct possibility that your Superman would have died in that Kryptonite cage trap Luthor had set for him. I came to help your Superman so that he wouldn’t die. The Lois Lane of my universe was killed on the illegal arms investigation in the Congo. I’m on my way to meet another Lois, but, right now, I’m helping out in other universes.”

She looked over at local Clark and said, “The way he’s talking, it sounds like he’s saying you could have died in that cage.”

The local Clark with a very thoughtful look on his face, turned to the visiting Superman and said, “You know, It might just have worked. You might have had to start all over though. You really *don’t* know her all that well.”

Alt Clark replied, “That wasn’t the object here. You had to be saved.”

Lois, feeling increasingly frustrated by being left out of the conversation that was going on right in front of her asked, “Clark, what are you saying?”

The local Clark looked at Lois and said, “I’m right. It might have worked. If I *had* died in that cage he *might* have been able to pick up where I left off.”

Lois was dumbfounded. She blurted out, “But that cage was a trap for Superman! How could you have died in it?

Local Clark, with a placating tone said, “Lois, I’m sure you’ve had your suspicions all along. When we were seen together it probably threw you way off.” With the look and demeanor of an individual bravely standing up to face a firing squad, he stood up, instead of putting on a blindfold though he took off his glasses and started to spin. He became a blur which shortly turned into bright primary colors and when he stopped Superman stood in his place. Apparently calm, he still had slight vibrato in his voice as he confessed, “Lois, I’m Superman.”

As this was happening Lois gasped and just sat there staring for several seconds as the facts settled in. The puzzle that she had been assembling for so long, which had metaphorically been knocked off the table by the appearance of this ‘Superman’, suddenly reassembled itself and all of the parts dropped into place. Then she started getting angry. He could see the play of emotions on her face. As she stood to confront him she said in an exasperated tone, “You lying … two faced, I never realized that that aphorism could be taken so literally before … conniving so and so. How can I *trust* you?” The tone of her voice was escalating all the time she was speaking. “All this time … you’ve been *lying* to me. I’ve told you a lot of my innermost secrets! Oh … my … God. All those times I told you about how much I *cared* for *Superman*! You must have been laughing at me the whole time … how *dare* you do that to me!” She hit her final high note as she ended and broke down into tears.

Trying to soothe her, Clark protested, “Lois, that’s not how it was! I only told you little fibs to cover my absences.”

With hurt and humiliation in her voice she wailed, “All those times you used what I had told you as Superman against me as Clark … and vice versa.” She started to cry harder.

Local Superman tried to calm her, “Now Lois, calm down. We can work this out.” As he was speaking he had been closing the distance between them. When he was close enough he gently reached out and gathered her into his arms. At first she shrugged off his attempts to hold her but he persisted and eventually he was able to fold her up in his strong arms as her tears soaked the front of his Suit. He started kissing the top of her head and then her forehead. Slowly he worked his way down the side of her face kissing away her tears until he finally captured her lips in a kiss. She finally stopped crying and melted into his arms. He pulled back long enough to ask, “Can you ever forgive me?”

With a soft sob still in her voice she replied, “If you keep kissing me like that I might just consider it.”

Happily he replied, “You can look forward to a lifetime of those kinds of kisses.”

As her arms were moving up and around his neck she said, “In that case, yes, you’re forgiven. Kiss me some more.”

After a few minutes the visiting Superman cleared his throat to get their attention. They broke from their clinch and looked at him. They had obviously forgotten he was even there.

“I hate to interrupt, but, there’s more that you guys need to know.”

With wonder in her voice, Lois asked, “There’s more?”

“Yes, Lois, there’s more.”

Lois and Superman both sat down. This time she sat in his lap.

“Something that you don’t know about your relationship is that the two of you are fated to be together. You were never meant to be apart. You are what are called Soul Mates. Your souls are bound throughout eternity to be together.” Then he filled them in on the details of the soul mates connection.

Alt Clark continued, “You know this is the third universe I’ve been to, my own and two others. I’ve been with two other Lois Lanes and Clark Kents. In the other universe when I last saw them they had been married for over a year and writing partners for four years. I was recruited to help them because he had been trapped in time. We managed to rescue him and bring them back together. If the two of you are anything like them you are going to be deliriously happy together. That said, I’m happy for you.”

After a little more discussion the visiting Superman said, “I think I’m going to leave you now. Enjoy your honeymoon and don’t worry about anything. I’ll fill in for you until you are back. Make sure you are seen here while I’m active in Metropolis; it should help with the secret identity for us both to be seen two different places at the same time. My ride will be coming so I’ll be leaving in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, make the best of it. I’m staying at the Apollo as Charlie King if you need to get in touch with me. In case I don’t see you again, enjoy.”

Lois walked over to him and, putting her arms around his neck, she gave him a kiss on the cheek and said, “Thank you. I had decided that Clark was the man for me and not Lex. If not for you he might have been killed.”

As she stepped away the Local Superman stepped up and shook his hand and said, “I don’t know how to thank you.”

Laughing he replied, “You could name your first born after me.”

Laughing, Lois said, “Clark Junior, CJ, I like it.”

With a wave of farewell, the visiting Superman took off and headed east.

As he was nearing Metropolis he saw a pall of smoke and as he got nearer he saw that it was originating in the rail yard. From altitude he evaluated the situation. He saw the Fire Chief off to one side so he headed that way and landed near him.

The press contingent was gathered in an area near the Chief and among them were Ralph Pinado and Jimmy Olsen who had hooked up to do some freelance work. When Jimmy saw Superman he started snapping pictures.

The Chief turned toward him and said, “Superman, I’m sure glad you’re here. We have a situation developing that I don’t know if we are going to be able to handle. Here’s the situation. We have a train on a siding that is a string of tank cars filled with various combustible liquids. One of the oil tanks either sprang a leak or someone opened a valve.”

“When we responded it was going to be a contain and cleanup operation, but, somehow there was a spark and that ignited the liquid. Our foam truck is on the way, but until it gets here all we have to fight the fire with is some Purple-K dry chemical, and not much of that. Water is ineffective since all that does is spread the fire around. Bottom line, we have what started as a major spill which is now a fire. We can handle that as far as it goes. We are containing it until the foam truck gets here the problem is that before we got the containment in place the fire had spread under several of the other cars.” At this point the Chief was interrupted by a very loud hissing noise as a pressure relief valve on one of the cars popped and started venting vapor which immediately ignited and became a blazing pillar of flame. The noise was like a mighty rushing wind like the sound of a tornado or a jet engine, up close.

The Chief had to shout now to be heard over the sound as he continued, “Here’s the problem, all of these cars are filled with combustible liquids like that! I expect as the liquid inside heats up and expands the pressure will build just as it did in that car! If we have a failure of a single pressure relief valve we could have a BLEVE (2) and I don’t want my men to be around if that happens! If that happened it would be like a miniature atomic explosion without the radiation. Superman, is there any way you can move that tank away from here where it won’t cause much damage?”

From past experience working with the fire service in his world, Superman knew what BLEVE stood for and knew that they were facing one of the most dangerous situations faced by the fire service. A Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion was one of the touchiest and worst dangers to deal with within the fire service.

Superman shook his head before replying, “Sorry Chief, I’ve x-rayed the tank and if I attempt to move it in any way, the structure is so weakened from the heat that it will rupture immediately. If I try to cool it with my super cold breath I won’t be able to cool it evenly and the resulting shrinkage of the metal where I do will cause a rupture. I can’t move it and I can’t cool it. We will have to rely on your methods of using water to cool the tank.

With an air of determination, knowing that Superman would be unable to help in this particular situation and he was going to have to rely on his own resources the Chief quickly came up with a plan and moved to execute it. He grabbed his radio and depressing the transmit switch he shouted into it, “Ladder 5!”

When he released the switch he heard, “Ladder 5”

The Chief keyed the mic again and shouted, “Move Ladder 5 into a position so that we can put a man up top and direct a stream of water on that tank that’s venting to cool it off.”

“Ladder 5 – 10-4!”

As the Chief and Superman watched, Ladder 5 moved from the staging area into position. The ladder crew was very efficient. Within 45 seconds of getting into position the supports were being extended and the ladder locks released. A fireman in full bunker gear dragged a hose with him as he ascended the structure and tied the nozzle off. Once the supports were in place the ladderman started elevating and traversing the ladder paying out the hose as it went up. As soon as it was in position the line was charged and the fireman started playing the water on the rail car. The fire plume was at the other end of the car and on the opposite side but it was so intense that he was really feeling the heat. If not for the Nomex ™ bunker gear his clothes might just have ignited.

The Chief watched with approval as the operation was completed in record time, a testament to the training and drills conducted by the station. He grabbed his radio again and called Station 5’s Captain, “Station 5?”

“Captain 5.”

“Well done Station 5! I’ve never seen better! Excellent team work.”

“Station 5, 10-4.”

The Chief now called Station 3’s Captain, “Station Three! Move your snorkel into position to cover the next car in the line! If we can prevent it from getting hot enough to release, we’ll be ahead of the game!”

“This is Captain Three, 10-4!”

Immediately the Chief saw Snorkel 3 move from the staging area and pull into position adjacent to the next car. While they were in the process of hooking to the hydrant they started positioning the snorkel. By the time it was in position the hose was hooked up and the water was turned on. The engineer directed the water on the next rail car.

The Chief got on the radio again, “Captain Three!”

“Captain Three.”

“Well done Captain! Keep that water flowing!”

Suddenly there was silence again. The vent valve had closed unexpectedly. The Chief said, “Okay, it looks like our efforts are paying off. We’ve cooled it sufficiently that the internal pressure is below the relief valve setting.”

Superman used his x-ray vision to try to determine the condition of the tank that had been venting. When he did, he was appalled at what he saw. He turned to the Chief and he couldn’t conceal the concern in his voice as he said, “Chief, the liquid inside that rail car is still boiling furiously! The pressure hasn’t gone down, the valve has failed! In my opinion we only have minutes at most before it *will* BLEVE!”

The Chief grabbed his radio and shouted, “All stations … FALL BACK! I repeat … FALL BACK. BLEVE IMMINENT! I REPEAT BLEVE IMMINENT!”

As they watched they saw the firemen start to fall back, retreating to the staging area and clustering behind the heavy rescue trucks since they afforded the most protection. Superman saw that the man at the end of the ladder had apparently not heard the order. He took off and reached the man, picked him up and headed skyward just seconds before the skin of the tank car ruptured, releasing all of the liquid that had been contained as a vapor which became a huge ball of fire. The ball of fire expanded and expanded from the tank car outward until it filled a volume of hundreds of cubic meters. The end of the aerial ladder from Ladder 5 was entirely within the ball of fire. If Superman hadn’t gotten that man to safety he would have been burned alive.

After the initial ball of fire had passed the remaining liquid residue continued to burn. Superman landed behind the heavy rescue and deposited his burden among his brothers. Then he reported back to the Chief.

Looking at the aerial ladder the chief saw only twisted metal, what was left of the ladder. He said, "Thanks for saving that man. His wife will be happy to see him come in the door tonight. Is there anything you can do about the remaining cars?"

Superman responded, "I was too late to do anything about that car but I may be able to do something about the rest. I could move them down the track some so that they are away from the flames."

"That would be a big help. If they don't overheat they won't BLEVE."

Superman took off and landed behind the caboose. Spinning the brake wheel he released the brake and, grasping the rear coupler started to pull the train in reverse away from the area of flames. Once all of the cars were in the clear everyone started to breathe a lot easier.

After moving the train to a safe location Superman reported back to the Chief, “Chief, is there anything more I can do for you?”

The Chief replied, “No, Superman, I don’t think there is. Thanks for the help.” He offered his hand and Superman took it and shook it.

There were shouts coming from the press corps asking Superman for an interview.

Superman went over and addressed them. “I will take a couple of questions.”

Jimmy Olsen shouted, “Superman, can you explain what happened?”

Superman replied, “I think the Chief would be more qualified to answer that question than me.” He turned to the Chief and said, “Chief, can you answer this young man’s question?”

The Chief stepped over and said, “Gladly. What you have witnessed was what is called BLEVE. BLEVE stands for Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. The fire under the tank heated up the liquid inside like in a pressure cooker and caused it to boil. The harder it boiled the higher the pressure inside became. When the tank couldn’t take the pressure anymore it ruptured. When that happened all of the vapor was released and it burst into flame. If Superman hadn’t been here the man out on the end of the ladder would have been fried. That’s the real story here. Superman rescued my man when no one else could have.”

The news hounds were all writing furiously.

Ralph Pinedo spoke up, “What took you so long to show up Superman?”

Superman replied, “As you know, Clark Kent and Lois Lane were married a little while ago. If I had heard about this I would have left the wedding and responded immediately, however I didn’t know about this incident until I returned from dropping them off in Hawaii for their honeymoon.”

Ralph continued, “How does it feel to be beaten out for Lois Lane’s hand by Clark Kent? Everybody knows that you had the hots for her.”

Superman replied, “You are very much mistaken! I have always had a professional relationship with Lois Lane and Clark Kent is one of my closest friends. I am very happy for them and I wish them a long and happy marriage.”

While all of this was going on the paparazzi had spotted Lois and Clark in Hawaii. Since the story about Luthor had been in the papers for a couple of days they had started hounding Lois and Clark to get a statement from them about Luthor so there were plenty of pictures and eyewitnesses that Lois and Clark were in Hawaii when the BLEVE occurred at the rail yard.

Lois and Clark were in Hawaii for two weeks on their honeymoon and shortly after their return it was time for Alt Superman’s ride. Before Herb showed up he had one last meeting with local Lois and Clark at 344 Clinton.

“Well you guys, I’ll be leaving shortly.” Addressing Lois he said, “It looks like you have reconciled your problems with Clark.”

Lois had a happy smile on her face as she said, “I just couldn’t stay mad at him. We had an absolutely wonderful honeymoon. I don’t know how to thank you. It was wonderful to not have to worry about being interrupted by emergencies.”

Alt Superman chuckled and said, “Glad to have been of service. Listen you guys, don’t be surprised if in the future Herb chooses to visit. When he does, he may have a gift for you, an extra wedding present, if you will.”

Local Clark, his curiosity piqued, asked, “What would that be?”

Alt Clark said, “I’m not at liberty to disclose that right now, but, if you see him, you will appreciate the present. Trust me.”

End Flashback

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLEVE

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 11 – The Second Mission Starts

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:26 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj