Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 11/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

Superman played his hole card. “I’ve been thinking about that as well. What would I need to do in order for you to swear me in as a deputy?”

Bill started thinking out loud. “I don’t know if I can. Maybe if you could pass the entrance exam and final written for the academy I could probably make you a patrolman.” After pondering the question for a minute he said, “Yeah that would work. How long would it take you to study and pass those two exams?”

With a smile on his face he said, “Where are the books and how soon can you get a copy of the test for me to take?”

Bill reached behind him and pulled two books off his shelf and handed them to him. “You read these while I make a phone call.”

Superman started reading the books as fast as he could turn the pages. By the time Bill had completed his call the first book was closed and laid aside. By the time the two exams had been delivered he had completed the second book. Bill had the officer that had delivered the exams stand by as an extra proctor while Superman took both tests. He handed them to the test administrator and asked him to have them graded immediately. While they waited for the results Superman and Lt. Henderson discussed just how the warrant would be executed.

After about 5 minutes the phone rang. “Henderson here. … Thank you for the quick turnaround. …What were the scores? … That good huh? … Perfect on both. I would have expected no less. Thanks again. … The chief may call you to confirm. … You’ll be there. Thanks.” He hung up by depressing the button and releasing it dialed another number. “Chief, I have a recruit here that just passed the academy exams. Uh, huh. Perfect scores on both. Could you come down and swear him in? Okay, see you in a couple of minutes. Don’t forget to bring a badge. Thanks.” Turning to Superman with a big smile on his face he said, “All set. I can’t wait to see the chief’s face when he sees just who this new patrolman is.” He started laughing out loud at the thought.

When the chief arrived he saw Superman in Henderson’s office and didn’t think anything of it since he was a frequent visitor. He said, “Okay Bill, where’s this special candidate that you want me to swear in?”

With a deadpan expression he replied, “He’s standing right next to you.”

Shocked the chief looked at Superman and said, “You?”

Superman replied, “Yes, sir.”

With a dumbfounded expression on his face the chief said, “Raise your right hand and repeat after me …” and he proceeded to administer the oath. “Congratulations, patrolman, uh, Superman.” He reached into his pocket pulled out a badge and handed it to him.

Superman asked, “Can I put this on a chain and wear it around my neck? The Suit wasn’t made for sticking pins through it.”

“Oh, yeah, of course, ah yes, uh, that would be acceptable.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Still stunned by this turn of events, the chief turned to Henderson and said, “I guess I’d better get back to my office.” He turned to Superman and stuck his hand out. Superman took it and shook it as the chief finished up, “It’s been a pleasure Superman. Welcome to the force.”

"Thank you Chief. I’m afraid that it will only be temporary. I have a special mission and once it’s accomplished I’ll be resigning from the force."

“I understand. Well, in any event, like I said, welcome to the force.”

The Chief left and as he did so Bill picked up the phone and called the D.A.’s office. When the phone was answered he said, “Hello, who am I speaking to please? Ah, okay, Ms. Drake. I would like your help in getting a warrant issued. … Thank you, we’ll be right over. … A patrolman will be helping me to serve the warrant. I’ll bring him along.” He hung up.

Superman with some hesitancy in his voice asked, “Was that Mayson Drake?”

Bill asked, “Why, yes, you know her?”

Clark was remembering back to before all of this started and remembering the time he had spent with Mayson. He was remembering that as he was leaving she had confessed that she was in love with him and he was thinking that they just might have been able to work it out. But, of course, that had been another Mayson Drake. There was a rather far away expression on his face as he said, “No, not really. It would be too long a story. Shall we go?”

And now:

Chapter 9 – The First Mission Continues.- Outsmarting Luthor
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 024 x Gamma 035 x Tau -180
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

When they arrived at Mayson’s office she had her nose almost literally buried in her paperwork. It was almost a minute before she looked up from her work to see who was in her office. When she did she got a somewhat sour look as if she had bitten into an unripe lemon. “Henderson, why did you bring *him* here? You know I don’t like this, this … this, *vigilante*.”

Bill, with a look like the cat that had just caught the canary replied, “Mayson Drake, please allow me to introduce you to Patrolman Superman, the newest member of the MPD.”

Startled she replied, “What did you say? Did I hear you right? Patrolman Superman? He’s joined the MPD?”

“Yep, passed his exams and was sworn in this morning by the chief. He even has a badge. He just needs to get a neck chain for it.”

This outcome had blown Mayson away. Her entire mindset about this man had been changed in an instant. She reached up and unclasped her necklace and handed it to him. “I would be honored if you would use this.”

Superman reached out and accepted the necklace. He threaded it through an opening in his badge and hung it around his neck. It rode a lot higher on his chest than the chain had on Mayson’s but that was to be expected since his neck was much larger. “Thank you Ms. Drake, I appreciate it.”

Mayson gave him a very close appraisal. Now that she didn’t have the filter of vigilante to look through she could see him for what he was and she had to grudgingly admit that she liked what she saw. “I’m always happy to help a member of the force. Now, what can I do for MPD?”

Henderson placed the file on her desk and said, “The crew at the Daily Planet has accumulated this evidence of crimes being committed by Lex Luthor. We need a search warrant so that we can get the corroborating evidence so that we can nail him once and for all.”

“Well, let’s just see what you’ve got.” She found herself looking at Superman, even as she was listening to and speaking with Henderson. Finally she realized just what she was doing and tore her eyes from him and started going through the file. She found herself glancing up from the file frequently to look at him and mentally chastened herself for not paying attention to her job and being distracted by this healthy male specimen. She could feel her pulse starting to race the more she looked. She thought, <How can a badge make so much difference?> When she had gone through the entire folder she said, “Looks good to me. Let me write up the petition.” As she did so she asked, “Do you have a particular judge you want to approach?”

Henderson replied, “As long as he is not in Luthor’s pocket, it doesn’t matter.”

As she finished up the petition she was chagrined as she replied, “I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.” She thought for a second and then replied, “I would recommend Judge Lewis. He should be in chambers right now. Let’s go see him.” So saying she picked up the file and the petition and led the way to the judge’s chambers. On the way she walked beside Superman and struck up a conversation. “What made you decide to finally give up being a vigilante and join the force?”

Superman turned to look at her and then replied in a deep voice, “This was too important an issue to allow that to prevent me from helping the force. I have some unique talents that will be useful in executing the warrant.”

Affected by him in a way that she had never experienced before she shyly asked, “What are you doing this evening? I know this little Italian place, just around the corner, Travaglini’s. Would you consider joining me for dinner?”

Shaking his head in the negative, Superman replied more softly with a tinge of regret, “Mayson, I really don’t think that it would be in your best interest to be seen dating Superman. Just think of the notoriety. You wouldn’t have any more privacy.” And Clark knew exactly how that felt.

“I might just be willing to risk it.”

The conversation ended at this point as they entered the Judge’s secretary’s office.

After being announced by his secretary, they were let into his office. Henderson let Mayson handle the request. The judge was startled to say the least when Superman entered his office, even more so when he saw the badge suspended by a gold chain around his neck. The judge stood up and extended his hand to Superman and said, “So, you finally joined the force. Congratulations.”

“Thank you, Your Honor. I am proud to be with Metropolis’ finest.” He shook the judge’s hand.

The judge settled back in his chair and said, “Okay, let’s see just what we have here.” As he went through the file he made various “Mmmm” and “Oh” and “Aha” sounds. He read through the petition and pulled out a form. “How do you want this made out? If you are looking for documents it needs to be different from drugs and drug paraphernalia.”

Henderson spoke up, “Documents, Your Honor.”

The judge made the appropriate notations and signed with a flourish. “Here you go. Go get him.”

They chorused, “Thank you, Your Honor.”

After leaving his chambers, they dropped Mayson off at her office. Mayson handed Superman her card on which she had written her cell number and said, “Give me a call sometime. I still think I’d like to get to know you better.”

He replied, “I’m sorry Mayson, I’ve been thinking more about our earlier conversation and I really can’t become involved with women. They would become susceptible to kidnap and injury were they known to be associated with me.”

“What about Lois Lane? Everybody knows about your association with her.”

“Right now she is supposed to be marrying Lex Luthor. Of course she will have a hard time doing that when he’s in jail. I think that you will find that once Luthor is out of the way Clark Kent will be the one associated with her, not me.”

“I guess I can see that. It’s a shame. You could come to my place, I make extremely good lasagna.”

“If I change my mind, maybe I’ll give you a call. Goodbye Mayson.”

“Bye.”

When they arrived back in Bill’s office he called for detective Muggervin. When Muggervin showed up he briefed him. Henderson and Superman were going to execute the search warrant. Muggervin would gather a squad and raid Luthor Tower and attempt to arrest Lex Luthor. Muggervin left to gather his squad. Superman and Henderson moved to the alley behind the building. Superman picked him up and flew them to the balcony of Lex’s office suite. Lex was out of the office so Superman opened the French doors and he and Henderson entered.

Superman used his x-ray vision to scan the walls for hidden safes. He found several, most of which were lead lined. “Lt. Henderson …”

“Superman, I think we can drop the title. Please call me Bill. It’ll be a lot quicker.”

“Okay, Bill, I see several safes. Most of them are lined with lead so I do not know what is inside. My concern is that Luthor might have some Kryptonite in them. If he does it could incapacitate me.”

Henderson asked, “Can you pull the entire safe out of the wall, without opening it I mean?”

“I should be able to.”

Henderson directed, “Okay, do that with the first one. When you open it stand off to the side. If there’s Kryptonite inside and if you feel the effects close it. I’ll check the other contents. If any of the others have it inside we can consolidate it all in one and you can get rid of it. I don’t care if it might be considered evidence. If it’s dangerous to you, I want you to get rid of it.”

“Thank you Bill. Okay, here goes the first one.” He pushed aside the concealing artwork and driving his hands into the wall on either side of the safe grasped it and pulled it out of the wall.

He placed it on Luthor’s desk and standing off to the side ripped the door off its hinges. Bill Henderson looked inside. “Does Kryptonite look like a green glowing rock?”

“Yes. It does.”

“Stay back behind the lead shielding. I’m going to remove the papers and leave the green rock in here and then replace the door.” Bill removed the papers and placed them on the desk. He then replaced the door as best as he could. While he was doing this Superman pulled the next safe out of the wall. They handled this one the same way. They followed this procedure for each of the safes. When they had all been opened and the documents removed Bill had Superman stand in a far corner while he transferred all the Kryptonite into a single safe. He had this one standing on end and when he placed the door back on said, “Okay, seal it with your heat vision.”

Superman did just that and as Bill was picking up all the books and other documents Luthor returned, in a hurry. He was very surprised to see Henderson and especially Superman in his office when he entered. He also saw his numerous safes on his desk and his secret books spread out. Seeing that, he knew that the jig was up.

He sputtered, “What are you doing in here? You can’t come in here without a warrant.”

Henderson slapped a piece of paper into Luthor’s hand and said, “You’ve been served.” Addressing Superman, Henderson said, “Patrolman, take him into custody.”

Addressing Luthor again he said, “Luthor, you’re under arrest for crimes too numerous to list.” Superman grabbed him. Luthor realizing from the grip that this was Superman and not just someone in the Suit, he said, “Whaa, how, where? How did you get here? I thought I had you locked up!”

Superman replied, “The joke’s on you Luthor. You see, actually you have Clark Kent locked up. He was acting as a decoy so that I could help the police, but, thanks for reminding me.” Superman turned to Bill and said, “Lt. Henderson, you will find Clark Kent in the wine cellar in a Kryptonite plated cage which was designed to hold me. Please have a couple of the men go down and release him. For obvious reasons I would like to stay as far away from there as I can.”

Bill said, “Lex Luthor, you are under arrest for charges too numerous to mention to which will be added kidnap and false imprisonment.”

About this time the squad under command of Muggervin arrived with Mrs. Cox and Nigel St. John in tow. Henderson pointed at Luthor and said, “Cuff him,” and then dispatched three men to the wine cellar to release Clark Kent from the Kryptonite cage. They managed to return with Clark before Henderson had wrapped everything up to leave. ‘Clark’ was looking very pale and weak

After being released from the Kryptonite cage Clark had needed to be assisted by the officers because of his weakened condition. By the time they were in the elevator they were far enough away from the Kryptonite that he started to recover somewhat. By the time they were back on the floor containing Luthor’s office he was able to stand, on his own, but just barely. When they entered the office, searching for something to support him that wouldn’t be too terribly obvious, Clark moved over and leaned against the conference table crossing his arms as he did so. He noted a look that the other Superman gave him and he reached up and mussed up his hair somewhat.

Alt Superman gave him a look of approval as he did so. Now he looked more like Clark Kent in a superman Suit than Superman.

Seeing an opportunity to build up his secret identity, Superman addressed him, “Thank you Clark for impersonating me so that Luthor was distracted. It gave me the free hand I needed to really get the goods on him. He should be going away, permanently.”

Just as he finished speaking Lois Lane charged in. She saw the police squad, Luthor, Nigel and Mrs. Cox in cuffs and two supermen. She spotted Henderson and in an irritated tone asked, “What’s going on?”

Henderson spoke up, “Lois, Superman here …” He indicated the one with the badge. “joined the force so that we could prosecute a search warrant on Luthor. We now have the goods on all of his activities.”

Superman spoke up, “Lois, your fiancé has been identified as ‘The Boss’. He has been the criminal mastermind behind nearly all of the rackets here in Metropolis.”

Looking back and forth between the two individuals in the super costume she challenged the one that had just spoken, “If you’re Superman, then who’s that?” She pointed at Clark.

Superman responded in his take charge mode, “Lois, that happens to be Clark Kent. Clark wanted to help out and volunteered to be my stand in. He knew that it was potentially dangerous because Luthor could have killed him at any time, but, he volunteered anyway. I loaned him one of my Suits and he took my place in a Kryptonite cage Luthor had made to trap me in the wine cellar. He walked into that trap to make Luthor think he had captured and imprisoned Superman. I do think he has suffered some from the ordeal.” Superman pulled a pair of glasses out of a pouch in the cape of the Suit that Clark was wearing and placed them on Clark’s face.

As he had been speaking, Lois had been looking back and forth between the two of them, comparing them visually. She was having a hard time reconciling what she was hearing with what she was seeing. Occasionally she had had suspicions about Clark and Superman. Clark’s frequent disappearances and lame excuses. The times that Superman had left town and Clark had also left, but, here was visual proof that they were actually two separate people. It was incontrovertible, undeniable, and unbelievable. Superman placing the glasses on Clark’s face was the final blow.

Finally coming out of the stupor that this information had thrown her into, Lois shouted, “Clark!!!”, as she rushed over and threw her arms around him. She started crying as she started kissing his face. After a few seconds she pulled back and said, “The reason I’m here is that I was coming in here to tell Luthor that the wedding was off! I’ve been such a fool! I almost made the biggest mistake of my entire life! I was at home thinking about what life would be like with Luthor and trying out the name, Lois Luthor, Lois Lane-Luthor when suddenly it came to me that none of them sounded right. What burst out of my mouth next was Lois Lane-Kent and it just sounded so right and I started to cry. I realized that marrying Luthor would be wrong because I didn’t love him. I really loved you! I needed you! I didn’t want to live without you! Clark, you’re really the one I’m in love with. You’ve been my best friend for quite a while now and I couldn’t bear to lose you. Somehow someway you stopped being just my best friend you became my best friend and the man I was in love with.” She was crying as she was saying all of this.

Superman cleared his throat and once he had their attention he spoke up, “If I might make a suggestion, Lois, you recently purchased a wedding gown didn’t you?”

Still with tears in her eyes and her arms around Clark’s neck she tore her eyes away from Clark’s face to look at Superman and replied, “Yes, I did.”

Superman continued, “All of the invitations have been sent out and the hall has been decorated?”

She nodded to indicate that he was correct.

Superman offered, “You know, you could still use it. You would just have to have a different groom.”

Turning to the local Clark he offered, “If you need a best man, I’m available, as long as I don’t need to wear a tux.”

Clark weakly replied “I’d like that.” Turning to Lois he said, “Shall we take him up on his offer? Will you marry me?”

Still having tears in her eyes, but this time they were tears of joy Lois said, “What took you so long to ask? Of course I’ll marry you.”

Chuckling Clark said as he waved an arm to indicate those present, “Well, I guess its official; I’ve got an entire squad of Metropolis’ finest and Superman as witnesses. Let’s go get the license.”

Superman interrupted to ask, “Uh, Clark, don’t you think that you should change back into your own clothes and give me back the Suit first? We wouldn’t want anyone else mistaking you for me and trying to test your invulnerability.”

Looking down and seeing that he was still in the Suit the local Clark said, “Yeah, good idea. Can you give me a lift back to my apartment?”

Lois said, “You two go ahead. Clark, I’ll drive over and pick you up as soon as I can get out of here. We can go get the license this afternoon. The wedding is scheduled for the day after tomorrow. You’re all invited,” Looking over at Lex who was standing there fuming from not only being arrested but being jilted as well, she said, “except you, of course, Lex. I think you’ll be tied up.”

Superman picked up the lead lined safe which contained the Kryptonite and he and Clark walked out onto the balcony and then Superman picked him up and they took off for Clark’s apartment.

When they landed they moved inside. Clark said, “I don’t know how to thank you. I never expected this.” The local Clark went to his closet and pulled out a suit to put on.

Superman offered, “After the wedding the three of us can go somewhere and I can explain everything to both of you.”

Laughing the local Clark said, “I don’t think Lois would appreciate the Arctic.”

Superman was also laughing as he replied, “I think that Superman will offer to take you to your honeymoon resort. I’m going to make arrangements for Hawaii for you as my wedding gift. You should have your powers back in about 24 to 36 hours. I’ll fly Lois and you can follow in a few minutes to make it look like I came back for you. We’ll make the first stop a secluded beach where we can talk without being interrupted. As soon as Lois is here I’ll take off. In this lead lined safe is the Kryptonite Luthor had placed in his safes as traps for you. I’m going to take it up and launch it out of the solar system.”

Local Clark was still changing when Lois arrived so Alt Superman answered the door.

Lois hadn’t been expecting this and was surprised, but not startled to see him. She asked, “Where’s Clark?” She still hadn’t reconciled the fact that she had seen both of them together. For all the time that Superman had been around, she had never seen Superman and Clark at the same time and in the back of her mind this had been bothering her. All of those lame excuses he had given for leaving, especially when they had been in serious discussions about their relationship and just where it was going and suddenly, there was Superman dealing with an emergency. The puzzle pieces had been starting to fit together and then suddenly, somebody had bumped the table and the puzzle was scattered all over the floor. She was going to have to start all over and the picture was different now.

Local Clark heard her and shouted from his bedroom, “I’m just finishing changing. Out in a sec.”

She nodded her head and thought, <Yep, back to square one.> Looking back at Superman she thought, <I’m glad he helped Clark get the goods on Lex. If I hadn’t already decided that marrying Lex would be a mistake, they would have saved me from myself. I’m glad Clark didn’t give up on me. After that talk in the car I wasn’t so sure.>

The local Clark finished changing and joined Lois and Superman in the living room. Superman said, “Lois, a little bird told me that you have always wanted to honeymoon in Hawaii, so, as my wedding present to you I’m paying for your dream honeymoon.”

Lois let out a delighted squeal and threw her arms around his neck and gave him a kiss on the cheek. She said, “I don’t know how to thank you for everything you’ve done for us. You’ve always been here for me, us, and now you helped rescue me again, this time from myself.” She looked over at Clark with love in her eyes and said, “You helped me to realize just who was really important in my life. I know, I had a schoolgirl crush on you for the longest time, but, I know what I have with Clark is not a schoolgirl crush, it’s true love.”

Alt Superman said, “Well, we all have some things to do. I have some Kryptonite to dispose of and a honeymoon to book. You guys have to go get a license and rings. I guess I’ll see you at the wedding.” He picked up the safe and exited from the balcony. Superman flew up into the stratosphere and launched the safe as hard as he could and watched it disappear into the depths of space. Then he flew to Hawaii and made the reservations for Lois and Clark’s honeymoon. When he returned he did a patrol and then returned to the Apollo.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 10 – The First Mission – A revelation

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:27 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj