Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 10/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

“The reason I had you identify the Sapphire Kryptonite is this. You are unique. As a result of Tempus’ actions your secret identity has been revealed. When we do find you a mate we need to be able to endow her with super powers matching your own. Otherwise, as the human mate of Superman she would be subject to kidnap or injury by anyone attempting to either gain control of or garner revenge against you. With this gem that problem is alleviated.” Herb reached out and picked up the Sapphire Kryptonite. “Another unique thing about this Kryptonite is that your foes cannot gain control of it and use it against you. Once Lois’ body has been acclimated to it only she will be able to utilize the powers it bestows. Normal Earth humans will not acquire any powers; to them it is simply a piece of jewelry.”

“Now that we have the Kryptonite there is one other thing that we need. That is the red Kryptonite. In the universe which was created by the survival of your Lois after she was shot, the red Kryptonite was used in a laser. The laser was not built to attack you because you had not been revealed as Superman and therefore vulnerable to Kryptonite at that time. It was used to exact revenge against Lex Luthor.”

Clark snapped his fingers and said, “I remember that story! I just read it a couple of months ago, uh, years ago, in October of 1992. Luthor was attacked and killed by a couple of women using a laser to slice and dice him. That weapon should be in the police evidence room still. I could probably go to Bill Henderson and have it turned over to me.”

“My boy, that would be ideal. In that way we would have all of the necessary pieces to endow any Lois you find with the powers she would need to be safe.”

“Should I go now and see Bill? It shouldn’t take too long.”

“Yes, why not do that. In that way we can be certain that all of the pieces are in place.”

“Okay, I’ll be back shortly.” Clark flew out the French doors which led to the balcony. After approximately a half hour he returned, laser in hand. Herb picked up the blue sapphire Kryptonite and handed it to him.

“Perhaps you should place these in a secure location until we return. We may be able to use this for more than one individual, we will see. It would be nice, but not necessary to enable all Lois Lanes to have your powers. We will have to wait and see. In your case it is necessary that your Lois be super because of your unique status.”

“You mean that I’m the *only* Superman that’s been exposed as Clark Kent? How can that be? Do we all wear the same uniform?”

“Yes, you do within certain parameters. There are some that have added a mask component although in most cases they have not.”

“Okay Herb I can see the wisdom of that. Since everyone knows that Clark Kent is Superman the only option is to have Superwoman as a wife.”

“I don’t know if she told you or not during one of your encounters with the Lois Lane of Prime, but she acquired Superman’s powers by an exposure to red Kryptonite, however in that case he was left without his powers. They were not copied, they were transferred. The secret identity she created with the help of Martha Kent and Clark was that of Ultra Woman. Martha created the uniform and Clark named her. I don’t know what name your Lois will choose to use.”

“Well, since I’m already packed there is nothing stopping us from starting this mission right away.”

“Right you are. The sooner the better! The sooner we find you a Lois Lane the sooner you will be happy. Tally Ho!” Herb jumped up from the chair he had been sitting in and pulled out a small device that looked like an oversized cell phone. It turned itself on as soon as he touched it. “Clark, you may want to bring just an overnight bag with you and don’t forget the gems. We cannot be sure of the current fashion where we are going and it may be advisable to purchase a wardrobe upon arrival. I will transport us to the outskirts of Metropolis and I will make it early morning so that you will have time to sell some of the gems and have time to find a place to stay, etc. It will then be up to you to determine just what the situation is and just how to proceed.”

Clark went to his bedroom and returned with an overnight bag into which he deposited the gemstones, all but the sapphire Kryptonite. “Okay Herb. I’m ready.”

“Excellent. Here we go.” He punched a few keys on a pad. A doorway opened up in the air in front of them and they stepped through.

And now:

Chapter 8 – The First Mission
May 1, 1994
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 024 x Gamma 035 x Tau -180
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Herb and Clark stepped through the portal onto the sidewalk of a residential neighborhood. There were no obvious observers so they proceeded to walk down the sidewalk. They continued on for a couple of blocks and stepped into a convenience store. They were able to see the headlines of the Star which were proclaiming the pending nuptials between Lois Lane late of the Planet, now with LNN and Lex Luthor multi-millionaire philanthropist.

Herb said, “It appears as though you may have only a short time before the incident I related.”

“How do you recommend I handle this Herb?”

“My boy, all I can say is that I’m not sure of the results of this incident. I haven’t gone forward in this universe’s future to evaluate the outcome. You will have to simply do what you think best and hope for the correct resolution. I will be leaving you now. I will return on June first. If you could meet me on top of Mount Rushmore at noon we can see just how things have turned out.”

“Okay Herb. I think I’ll go to Mazik’sJewelers to sell the gems. They have a good reputation.”

“Very well. I will look for you at noon on top of Mount Rushmore.” Herb reached out and shook Clark’s hand and exited the store. Herb walked into a nearby alleyway and pulled out his TaDT. He keyed in a location, Mount Rushmore, and a date, June first 1994 and pressed a button. The portal opened in front of him and he stepped through to be greeted by Clark who was alone.

“Well, how did it go my boy?”

Clark proceeded to tell the story.

Flashback

After Herb left, Alt Clark proceeded to Mazik’sJewelers where he presented some of his gem stones. After checking to make sure that the stones were not stolen the deal was struck and Clark walked out with enough cash to see him through. He got a room at the Apollo and dropped off his overnight bag and then went to a local Cost-Mart and picked up sufficient wardrobe to cover him until June first.

Alt Clark stationed himself outside of what was left of the Planet building. He had been told by Herb that the Planet building had been the subject of a bomb blast which had put the paper out of commission. Eventually he saw himself, or rather the Clark Kent of this universe, walk past the building in a rather leisurely fashion and stroll down the street. As he was walking a Mercedes convertible pulled up beside him and the driver beeped the horn. Alt Clark recognized Lois behind the wheel. He listened in.

Lois said, “Need a lift big boy?” rather brightly.

Local Clark replied with a question, “Present from Luthor?”

Brightly she replied, “I borrowed it.

The sarcasm was heavy in his voice as he replied, “Well, then I guess you owe him one then, don’t you?”

Clark started to walk away but Lois followed him. “Clark, come-on, get in. … please?” in a somewhat pleading tone of voice.

After heaving a heavy sigh Clark acquiesced and reluctantly got in the car. He asked in a tone laden with sadness, “What do you want Lois?”

Lois was almost pleading as she said, “I want you to come to my wedding!”

Sadly he replied, “I can’t!”

Again the plea was in her tone as she asked, “Why not?”

Even more sadly and with a catch in his voice he replied, “I just, I can’t.”

Lois had an offended tone as she asked, “You hate him that much, or is it me that you hate now?”

Clark, with a sad tone in his voice said, “I could never hate you Lois. But I’m not gonna sit there and watch you walk down the aisle with that …”

Lois asked sarcastically, “What? Thief? Gangster? Psychopath? Murderer?”

Clark said equally sarcastically, “Maybe all of the above!”

Lois, getting a somewhat exasperated tone sand, “Can’t you see what is happening? You are driving us farther and farther apart!”

With a tone of finality, Clark replied, “I’m not the one doing the driving Lois, you are.” As Clark got out of the car he said, “And if you’re so sure that Lex is filled with good intentions you might want to ask him about Lexel investments and the extra insurance policy that he took out on the Daily Planet, a policy that may have made it very easy to rebuild the paper. You’re an investigative reporter Lois. Investigate.”

Unfortunately there were other ears listening in on that conversation. After the fact Lex Luthor and Mrs. Cox listened in on that conversation from a tape recording because the car Lois was in was bugged. Lex looked at Mrs. Cox and said, “He knows about the insurance. I wonder how much else he knows. If he passes the information on to Superman it could be a problem. Is Operation K finished?”

Mrs. Cox replied, “All ready.”

Lex replied, “Good. I think it’s about time I extended a personal invitation to Superman to attend the wedding. Contact Clark Kent and ask him to relay the message that I would like to meet with Superman tomorrow morning. I should be in the wine cellar tasting the wine to decide what to serve at the reception.”

“I’ll take care of it Lex.”

“I know you will. I can always count on you. Lois is busy tonight. After you make that call, tell the chef to prepare dinner for two. You’ll join me of course.”

“Of course.”

After observing the encounter in the street, Alt Clark thought he now had a handle on where things stood. From the briefing that Herb had given him he knew that the local Clark was soon to be lured into a Kryptonite trap by Lex Luthor. Alt Clark also knew that the Daily Planet team was close to having the case against Luthor ready for the police. He would need to act very soon and the best way to handle it was to meet Clark Kent, so he followed the local Clark back to his apartment on Clinton Avenue. After the local Clark had entered, Alt Clark checked to make sure they were alone and then went up and knocked. Then Alt Clark heard “Just a minute!” and waited patiently.

The door opened and the Clark of this universe’s jaw just about hit the floor. “Wh …wh .. who … Who are you?”

The visiting Clark replied, “Believe it or not, I’m you.”

“What?!?!?!?!?!”

“Can I come in?”

Continuing to stare in disbelief the local Clark stepped back allowing Alt Clark to enter. Alt Clark said, “You might want to close the door. You know, so that nobody just, walks in on us. It wouldn’t do to have both of us seen at the same time.

Local Clark looked out the door, scanning the street in both directions to ensure that they hadn’t been observed before closing the door and asking, “What are you, a clone?”

Alt Clark replied, “I guess you *could* say that in the sense that we share the same DNA, but, not really. This is going to take some time. Are you still using your apartment as a base of operations for the Luthor investigation?”

Not completely convinced that this wasn’t a clone created by Luthor to spy on him he decided to play it close to the vest. He pretended ignorance and asked, “Luthor investigation, what Luthor investigation?”

Alt Clark could see that he was being cautious and he couldn’t blame him. He had to give him enough information to convince him that he was on the up and up. He said, “Yeah, the one that you, Perry, Jimmy and Jack are conducting.”

Local Clark was blown away and stunned asked, “How, how did you know about that?”

Alt Clark sensing that he had his foot in the door pressed his advantage, “Trust me, there’s a lot I know. Can you answer the question?”

Local Clark gave in, “Uh, yeah. They should be here shortly.”

Alt Clark seizing the initiative said, “Okay, in that case we need to go somewhere we can talk without being either seen or interrupted.” Clark spun into his uniform. “Feel up to a trip to the arctic?”

Clark marveled at what he had just witnessed. “How did you do that?”

Incredulous, Alt Clark said, “You still use closets and phone booths? Well, by using superspeed I change and it looks like a spin. Try it. It is actually quite easy.”

The local Clark gave it a try. When he came out of the spin he was missing his boots. “Not bad for the first time. Put your boots on and let’s go.”

After the local Clark had put on his boots they both took off from the balcony straight up until they were out of sight and then started flying north. They found a convenient iceberg and settled down for a conversation.

Alt Clark started it, “Have you at any time been visited by Herb Wells?”

Local Clark said, “I don’t recognize the name. Should I?”

Alt Clark replied, “No, not necessarily. Okay, here goes. I am you, but, I am you from another dimension or as we are calling them - universe. Yes, there are more than two. Many more, I’m told. Anyway, in my universe my secret identity as Clark Kent has been revealed so everybody knows that Clark Kent and Superman are one and the same. Also, in my universe there is no Lois Lane

Bitterly the local Clark replied, “You may be better off that way. With what’s been happening with her and Lex Luthor …”

Alt Clark interrupted, “Don’t give up hope just yet. In yet another universe when Lois was at the altar and was asked if she took Lex as her husband she said no because she realized that she was really in love with Clark Kent.”

Local Clark was blown away by this. “Really?!?!?!? At the altar?”

With assurance Alt Clark replied, “At the altar. Immediately after that the wedding was interrupted by your team and the police.”

Local Clark was still blown away, “Wow! But, she turned him down. Really?”

Trying to get him back on track, Alt Clark asked, “Really. Okay, how’s your relationship with Henderson?” He was thinking back to before he had started any of these missions and the time he had spent on the investigation he was working on with the Henderson and Mayson.

Local Clark asked, ”Lieutenant Henderson of MPD?” At Alt Clark’s nod he finished, “We have a good relationship.”

Alt Clark asked, “As Clark or as Superman?”

“Both.”

Now that he had him back on track, Alt Clark said, “Good. I need everything you have on Luthor so far. I’ll be you and go to Henderson. That will get the ball rolling. I’ll work with him to get the rest of the goods on Luthor.”

Alt Clark now got a serious tone in his voice which really grabbed Local Clark’s attention. “What I’m going to tell you next is going to be a little hard to take but it will be necessary in order to throw Luthor off balance. You’re going to be invited to a meeting by Luthor. He’s going to trick you into a trap. He has a Kryptonite cage that he’s going to trap you in. You need to fall into that trap so that I can work unhindered. With you trapped he will not even consider that there is a continuing problem. It’s going to be tough on you, but you really need to go through with it.”

Local Clark wasn’t the slightest bit happy with the prospect of having to undergo another Kryptonite exposure. He looked unsure and swallowed heavily at that prospect.

Trying to be as persuasive as he could possibly be, Alt Clark continued, “With you distracting him I will be able to work unhindered. When the police rescue you we will say that you are really Clark Kent wearing one of my spare uniforms impersonating me so that I could get to Luthor. If we handle this the right way we can’t miss.”

Local Clark with a sour expression said, “Kryptonite cage huh? Why do I need to do that? Why don’t I just tie him up and leave him in his own cage?”

Alt Clark came back with, “Because then he could have you charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment. Trust me, it’ll be painful but in the long run it will work out much better this way.”

Resigned to his fate, local Clark replied, “Okay, after this evening’s get together I’ll meet you here with the file. The wedding is in three days. Do you think you can have the goods on him within that time?”

With confidence Alt Clark replied, “As long as your Henderson has a friendly judge that can issue a warrant, it’ll be a piece of cake.”

“Okay, I should be back in about two hours. I’ll pull all our documentation together into a coherent package with the help of Perry, Jimmy and Jack. I should be able to bring a finished product to you.” The local Clark stood up, shook Alt Clark’s hand and took off for Metropolis. True to his word, two hours later he was back with the file. “Here it is. We have him on insurance fraud, terroristic bombing, false accusation and a number of other things.”

Alt Clark asked to clarify a final point, “Good, now, when in the Suit, how do you address Henderson?”

“I call him Lieutenant Henderson.”

“How about as Clark?”

“I call him Bill.”

Clark, relieved, replied, “Then I shouldn’t make any mistakes when addressing him. I’ll be going to see him first thing in the morning. If there’s enough here to get a search warrant I have a little trick to pull which will get all the goods on Luthor. He’ll be arrested and you will be rescued from the cage before they start to play the wedding march! And it’ll be a funeral dirge for Luthor. Count on it.”

They both took off, each heading for their respective abodes.

The next morning Superman paid a call on Lieutenant William Henderson of MPD.

As soon as he entered the precinct he was told to go on back to his office. After knocking on the door he heard Henderson say, “Come in.”

As soon as he entered, Henderson asked, “Well, Superman, What can I do for you today?”

Superman replied, “Lt. Henderson I have some information I would like to go over with you. If you think that there is enough here to convince a judge to issue a search warrant we need to get it issued. I will help you in serving it.” He handed the file to Bill and sat down in a chair while Bill flipped through the papers. As he was flipping through he let out a low whistle between his teeth.

Henderson asked, “Where did you get all of this?

As if to state the obvious he replied, “An investigative team of Daily Planet employees built that file.”

Bill Henderson, knowing Clark and Lois and what had happened between them and with Luthor said with a little snicker, “You *mean* *Kent* don’t you? I *know* *he’s* motivated.”

With a small chuckle Superman admitted, “He was part of the team, yes. He had a lot of help though.”

After perusing the documents thoroughly Henderson said, “Okay, this is enough to get a search warrant but not enough for conviction.”

Superman asked, “How would you like his books which list all of his ‘business’ transactions? Lt. Henderson, you may not realize it just yet but I have had a lot more interaction with Luthor than is generally known. I have not been able to prove what I know because I have not been in a position to get the books I am talking about through legal means. A search warrant is the legal means I have needed.”

Henderson with an air of disappointment replied, “Unfortunately, I can’t accept your help in executing the warrant. You’re not a member of the force.”

Superman played his hole card. “I’ve been thinking about that as well. What would I need to do in order for you to swear me in as a deputy?”

Bill started thinking out loud. “I don’t know if I can. Maybe if you could pass the entrance exam and final written for the academy I could probably make you a patrolman.” After pondering the question for a minute he said, “Yeah that would work. How long would it take you to study and pass those two exams?”

With a smile on his face he said, “Where are the books and how soon can you get a copy of the test for me to take?”

Bill reached behind him and pulled two books off his shelf and handed them to him. “You read these while I make a phone call.”

Superman started reading the books as fast as he could turn the pages. By the time Bill had completed his call the first book was closed and laid aside. By the time the two exams had been delivered he had completed the second book. Bill had the officer that had delivered the exams stand by as an extra proctor while Superman took both tests. He handed them to the test administrator and asked him to have them graded immediately. While they waited for the results Superman and Lt. Henderson discussed just how the warrant would be executed.

After about 5 minutes the phone rang. “Henderson here. … Thank you for the quick turnaround. …What were the scores? … That good huh? … Perfect on both. I would have expected no less. Thanks again. … The chief may call you to confirm. … You’ll be there. Thanks.” He hung up by depressing the button and releasing it dialed another number. “Chief, I have a recruit here that just passed the academy exams. Uh, huh. Perfect scores on both. Could you come down and swear him in? Okay, see you in a couple of minutes. Don’t forget to bring a badge. Thanks.” Turning to Superman with a big smile on his face he said, “All set. I can’t wait to see the chief’s face when he sees just who this new patrolman is.” He started laughing out loud at the thought.

When the chief arrived he saw Superman in Henderson’s office and didn’t think anything of it since he was a frequent visitor. He said, “Okay Bill, where’s this special candidate that you want me to swear in?”

With a deadpan expression he replied, “He’s standing right next to you.”

Shocked the chief looked at Superman and said, “You?”

Superman replied, “Yes, sir.”

With a dumbfounded expression on his face the chief said, “Raise your right hand and repeat after me …” and he proceeded to administer the oath. “Congratulations, patrolman, uh, Superman.” He reached into his pocket pulled out a badge and handed it to him.

Superman asked, “Can I put this on a chain and wear it around my neck? The Suit wasn’t made for sticking pins through it.”

“Oh, yeah, of course, ah yes, uh, that would be acceptable.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Still stunned by this turn of events, the chief turned to Henderson and said, “I guess I’d better get back to my office.” He turned to Superman and stuck his hand out. Superman took it and shook it as the chief finished up, “It’s been a pleasure Superman. Welcome to the force.”

"Thank you Chief. I’m afraid that it will only be temporary. I have a special mission and once it’s accomplished I’ll be resigning from the force."

“I understand. Well, in any event, like I said, welcome to the force.”

The Chief left and as he did so Bill picked up the phone and called the D.A.’s office. When the phone was answered he said, “Hello, who am I speaking to please? Ah, okay, Ms. Drake. I would like your help in getting a warrant issued. … Thank you, we’ll be right over. … A patrolman will be helping me to serve the warrant. I’ll bring him along.” He hung up.

Superman with some hesitancy in his voice asked, “Was that Mayson Drake?”

Bill asked, “Why, yes, you know her?”

Clark was remembering back to before all of this started and remembering the time he had spent with Mayson. He was remembering that as he was leaving she had confessed that she was in love with him and he was thinking that they just might have been able to work it out. But, of course, that had been another Mayson Drake. There was a rather far away expression on his face as he said, “No, not really. It would be too long a story. Shall we go?”

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 9 – The First Mission Continues – Outsmarting Luthor

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:19 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj