Clark and Lois - Despair to Hope – Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4 – 09/22
By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13
* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording ]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Previously –

As the sisters were captured there was a small explosion and a puff of smoke from the weapon. Nell was slightly injured by the explosion and, being startled by it, dropped the weapon. She and her sister were both captured by security.

Mayson Drake being the sole law enforcement official on the scene ordered the guards to detain all of the attendees and directed Luthor’s staff to call 911 and summon the police and an ambulance. Acting under her orders the guards kept all of the guests there so that they could be interviewed by the police about the incident.

When the police arrived they took the sisters into custody, cuffed them, read them their rights and led them out to a black-n-white to be taken to headquarters. Shortly after the police arrived the paramedics did also. The lead medic checked Luthor, turned to his assistant and said, “Call the coroner’s office. This is a DOA.”

During the trial the sisters tried to claim ‘Justifiable Homicide’ and in the course of the trial information on Luthor’s involvement in the prostitution racket in Metropolis came to light and his involvement in the firing of many young women, the sisters included, who were then forced into sex slavery. This led to additional revelations about his involvement in other rackets. It was finally revealed that he was in fact the infamous ‘Boss’ of the Metropolis rackets.

At the conclusion of the trial the jury was sympathetic to the plight that the sisters had been put into and took into consideration the additional revelations of Luthor’s involvement in the rackets and gave a guilty verdict to a lesser charge recommending leniency. The judge gave them relatively light sentences which he then commuted to time served.

Clark read about the incident at the White Orchid Ball when the story came in over the wire service. He didn’t like anyone dying, however, in this case he was willing to make an exception. He decided to make a trip to the cemetery.

It had been his habit to visit her grave at least once a week to put new flowers on it and to talk to her. As he knelt by her grave he placed a dozen red roses on the ground and was silent for a time.

Finally he was able to speak and said, “Lois, a lot has been happening. I only have a few months to wait for Herb to show up and I’ve been keeping busy working for the local office. We just got in a report on Luthor. His crimes have finally caught up with him. Some women he had wronged built a weapon and were able to end his miserable life. I guess he won’t be sending any more arms to the rebels and he has paid for what those arms he supplied did to you.”

“Before Herb shows up, you know what I’m going to do. I’m going to take a page out of Jack Benny’s book (1). I’m going to go to the florist and I am going to set up a trust. I’m going to have one red rose delivered and placed on your grave every day. I know that you are looking down on us and you will see, you’ll see just how much you meant to me. I wish you were here with me right now, I miss you so, my love. Every day I still wish that I had died instead of you or at least with you and if it hadn’t been for the twins I might have, but, that wasn’t meant to be.”

“You’ll be happy to hear that the twins have really matured through this experience. They have seen what we meant to each other and they want that kind of relationship, a loving relationship with one man. They have become my very closest friends and have stopped playing their little games with men. They are looking for that one relationship that will last. They are treating me like a big brother now and asking my advice on lots of things, but mostly interpersonal relationships. It has gotten to the point that they want me to interview any prospective dates and give them my approval before they will go out with him and they have decided that the next man they have sex with will be the man that they marry. I hope that they will find their future husbands before I leave. That would make my departure a lot easier.” Again he lapsed into silence and just knelt there for a while. Eventually he returned to his hotel.

Since they were the only things that he had to remember his Lois he resolved to keep her jewelry and her purse with her ID and donate the clothing to a charity there in Brazzaville.

And now:

Chapter 7 - Herb Shows Up and Herb Shows Up
February 28, 1993
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036
Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Clark was at Livingstone Falls waiting for Herb to make his appearance. He had gotten there early just to be on the safe side. Suddenly the Time Sled appeared starting as shimmer in the air in front of him and then solidifying. Herb, the 1912 version, saw Clark and took in the fact that he was alone and his downtrodden demeanor. He said, “What has happened my boy? Didn’t you find your Lois?”

His reply was full of bitterness, “Oh, I found her alright. Herb, I was the reason that she died. If I hadn’t been here, she might be alive right now. It was because of me that she was on the trail of the weapons and that was why she was shot. I really don’t know if I want to go on this way. It’s because of me that she is dead.” He started weeping, miserably. All of the hurt and self recrimination that he had gone through immediately after her death reasserted itself in an instant.

“I am so sorry to hear that. I had sincerely hoped that you would be able to succeed in this mission and that through your intervention she could be saved. It appears that history cannot in fact be changed in this fashion. Even with the possibility that she could have been declared missing and simply appear in the future, alive and well was not sufficient. I know how hard this must be for you. I don’t know what can be done at this point. It will require much thought.”

After a short pause for thought, Herb continued, “Have you formed any friendships or other relationships that would need some closure before we were to move back to your time? Do you have any goodbyes to say?”

“No, Herb, I’ve already taken care of all that. There are two girls that have been especially close. I had the privilege of walking both of them down the aisle in their weddings just last month. All the friends I’ve made here are under the impression that since Lois is now dead that I am going into seclusion and returning to the States. The last thing I did was file a missing person report with the Brazzaville police. They will be informing Perry. I had a talk with Derek and if Perry inquires he will be given the story that she disappeared in the interior. I told Derek that he needed to give him that story because if he was told the truth his heart couldn’t take it. My luggage is stacked up over there. I’ll get it.”

“Very well, my boy, just load it aboard and we will be on our way.”

After Clark had loaded his luggage and they were both seated Herb set the time control for 1997. True to his word they reappeared at a time so close to five minutes after they left that the difference wasn’t worth mentioning. They were actually in the street in front of Clark’s apartment. Clark collected his luggage and led the way inside.

Herb stood in Clark’s living room while Clark put his bags in his bedroom. When Clark rejoined him in the living room he said, “Clark, I hate to leave you like this. Is there anything that I can do?”

With a more than somewhat bitter tone in his voice her replied, “No, Herb, I think you’ve done quite enough already.”

“Clark, you have to realize that this is simply history playing itself out as you had experienced it. True, your intervention is what caused the current state to exist, but there was no way for us to know that.”

Suddenly there was a shimmer in the air and a portal somewhat resembling a door appeared in the air between them. Through this portal stepped a slightly older incarnation of Herb than the one that had taken Clark on his mission. This Herb was the 1917 version. He said “Ah, I see that I am right on time!” Turning to his 1912 self the 1917 Herb said, “I’ll take over from here. I think you have a mission to perform in Prime. We need access to Superman’s space ship which means that you need to take the time sled back and help Clark to recover it.”

“My, my, my. I surely wasn’t expecting to see you here!”

“Ah, but you see, I knew that you would be here and that I would arrive in time. To me it is history and history cannot be changed.” Turning to Clark he said, “My boy, we have a lot to do.”

“Herb, uh, Herbs, uh“ Clark pointed at the younger Herb, “Thank you for what you tried to do for me.” Clark then pointed to the newly arrived Herb and said, “I don’t know if I want to do this anymore. I had her in my arms and I lost her. I don’t know if I can do that again. It was far too painful.”

The newly arrived Herb addressed both of his companions, “As you can see, I am somewhat older than my other self here. He is from 1912 whereas I am from 1917, one can learn a lot in five years. I have learned a few things since I was his age and started fooling around with time and trying to change it. I’ve learned since his time that I really cannot ‘change’ history. All I can do is bend it somewhat. That is what we are going to do.” He turned to his earlier self and said, “I really cannot say anymore until you have left. Too much information too soon is not a good thing. Right now you need to concentrate on the mission that I mentioned. Go forward to 2438 and go to TTEMPO Headquarters. They will outline your mission for you. History must be maintained.”

The younger Herb said, “Quite right, quite right. I understand completely.” He turned to Clark, “I will leave you now my boy. I’m sure that my future self here will be able to help you to complete the mission that we started, but which had such tragic results. I feel certain that the outcome of your new mission will be a success now that my older self is involved.” He turned to the older Herb and said, “I am satisfied that where I failed you will succeed. I leave him in your hands.” So saying, he ascended the stairs to the door. At the door he turned and tipped his bowler hat and turning back opened the door and exited.

Herb said, “Please forgive him. He meant well. He just didn’t have enough experience in these matters.”

Clark started to laugh, “Do you always talk about yourself in the third person like that?”

Herb, realizing what he had done, only because Clark had pointed it out, chuckled and said, “Only in circumstances such as these. Well, down to business.” He started rubbing his hands together as he said, “We have to find you a Lois!”

“Herb, what do you mean *a* Lois?”

“My boy, the sad reality of the situation is that the Lois of this world no longer exists. Unfortunately you were there and you saw her die. That is an historical fact that we cannot get away from at this point in the history of this universe. What I propose is that we look in yet other universes, looking specifically for one in which the Clark Kent of that universe either never existed or for whatever reason is no longer among the living. This is a truly unique situation which I had not anticipated. The truth is that the soul of Lois, in this universe no longer exists. Her soul was lost when she died. It is not here to pass on to another vessel. That was the source of your so profound grief. Half of your soul had ceased to exist. It is amazing that you survived the ordeal.”

“Truthfully, Herb, I almost didn’t. If it hadn’t been for the care and concern for some friends I had made in Brazzaville, I might not have. I almost died, but, they brought me back from the brink. I do owe them my life.”

Returning to the previous topic he said, “But, Herb, even if we do find such a universe, she won’t by *my* Lois. She will be somebody else’s Lois. It won’t be the same thing.”

“My boy, I want you to think back to your various encounters with the Lois Lane of Prime. Were you attracted to her?”

“Like no one else, other than *my* Lois that is. But what I had with my Lois was so much stronger than what I had with the other Lois. It was only a matter of degree, but still what I had with my Lois was so strong it couldn’t be denied.”

“My boy, I think that you will find that since all Clarks are soul mates of all Lois Lanes that the attraction will be there no matter what Lois you are with. I believe that what we will find is that since your soul mate no longer exists if we find a Lois whose soul mate also no longer exists that the bond formed by your union will be such as you had with your Lois. At least that is my supposition.”

Herb continued, “I have found a universe where the Lois of that universe has lost her Clark and the same situation pertains. The Clark soul died with the body. We need to deliver you to her at a critical time to prevent her from going into the same level of depression that you experienced. She might not be as lucky as you to have friends to help her through it.”

“Before we do that, however, I need to ask a favor of you. Recall how you helped out in Prime when Clark was trapped in a time bubble? I have discovered, while I was searching for a Lois for you, that there are a number of universes where the help of another Superman was necessary. There were situations, similar to those which the Clark in Prime went through, which in order to have a positive resolution and prevent the creation of yet more universes required the intervention of another Superman to help out. Can I count on you, my boy?”

Clark thought about this for a few seconds. It would be an opportunity for him to act openly for a time and actually help. He might even be able to interact with Lois again. The prospect was intriguing. He said, “Well, Herb, I don’t see why not, after all, I’d be helping. You’re sure that I succeed in all cases?”

“Yes, quite. You succeed in all cases, but you really need to be there. Based upon what we know of the history of the Prime Superman there are a number of incidents and I propose that we center our actions on those circumstances I have identified because the local Clark had a more than fair chance of dying. I have some approximate time frames within which we can act. Due to subtle differences within the universes we cannot be as precise as we would like to be. What I propose is this, we will pick an incident which I have an approximate time for and I will drop you off in that time period. It will be up to you to make contact. “

“How soon do we need to start?”

“There’s no time like the present. The first incident is one wherein Lois was being courted by Lex Luthor. In order to keep Superman from interfering with the wedding, he trapped Clark in a Kryptonite cage in the wine cellar. In Prime Clark almost died from the Kryptonite exposure but he managed to get himself out of the cage. Also, if he hadn’t managed to get out of the cage, Luthor was about to kill him with a fire ax. This Clark didn’t get so lucky. He needed help to get out of the cage. I think that the ploy you used in the Congo, that of using the name of Charles King, would be appropriate but this time I would suggest that you take your costume with you. As long as you make sure that you don’t appear at the same place at the same time as your counterpart, you should be able to operate openly.”

“Again you will be in a situation wherein you will not have a legitimate source of income. You will need the gemstones that you mined previously to exchange for cash. I need to ask you to bring those out for me to examine. Could you do so please?”

Clark went to his bedroom and retrieved the bag of uncut gemstones from one of his bags. He brought it into the living room and placed it on his coffee table. Herb opened the bag and dumped the gems onto the surface. “Clark, I need you to use your x-ray and microscopic vision to examine these gems. We are looking for one specific jewel. It will have the main characteristics of a Star Sapphire; however, it will be just a little bit off. It is a rather large stone, approximately two thousand seven hundred carats.”

Thinking for a moment, Clark said, “That’s big. That would be about over ½ a kilogram or about 1.2 pounds of gemstone.”

Herb gave him an approving look like a proud parent. “Quite right, my boy, quite right. That is quite a large stone. Record setting in size.”

Clark started his examination. Before using his vision he sorted the gems by obvious size and color isolating only the largest of the colored stones for a closer examination. Moving at superspeed it only took a second to do the sorting.

This sorting resulted in three gems of interest. He first used his x-ray vision then a combination of x-ray and microscopic to examine them. As he did so he slowly got a look of wonder on his face. He reached out and picked up one of the stones and held it in his hand for a closer examination. In a hushed tone he said “Herb, this must be the stone you are looking for. It’s like no other stone I have ever seen.”

In a very upbeat tone Herb said, “My boy, that is truly a unique stone. In actuality that stone is not from here. That stone is a fragment from your home planet. It is a very special form of Kryptonite. It resembles a Star Sapphire but it is a double star.”

“Why don’t I feel anything from it then?”

“Ah, you see, this is a very special form of Kryptonite. It has to be energized by exposure to a particular fragment of red Kryptonite. If you are in contact with this sapphire blue Kryptonite when you are exposed to the red Kryptonite a portion of your super energy will be copied and the energy stored in the gem. The energy can then be transferred to your soul mate giving her your powers.”

A stunned look swept quickly over Clark’s face, then he blurted out, “Wait a minute, you mean that if I had had that on me and held this rock while being exposed to this specific red K rock, then Lois would have had my powers and wouldn’t have died? Where’s this red K? Let’s go back and use it to save her!”

“No, Clark, it doesn’t work that way. We *could* save her in that way, but that would *not* change your situation. Please have a seat. I need to tell you a story.”

Clark sat down on the couch and Herb sat in the arm chair.

“Clark you need to listen very carefully to what I am about to tell you. It will have significant bearing on our future mission. Have you ever heard of Schrödinger's cat?”

Never having taken a heavy load in math and science in college since he was a journalism major he asked, “What kind of cat was it, Siamese, Maltese, tabby? What does a cat have to do with this anyhow?”

“My boy, please bear with me. Schrödinger's cat is a theoretical construct wherein a cat, Schrödinger's cat, is sealed up in a steel box. Also within the box is the means of executing the cat, however, the execution may or may not occur based upon the decay of a particular piece of a radioactive element. Since the cat is within a sealed steel box there is no way for us to know, without opening the box of course, if the cat is alive or dead since either outcome is equally probable.”

Unsure whether Clark really didn’t know about the cat who is dead *and* alive, Herb cleared his throat and tried to explain earnestly. “Clark, the mission you just returned from ended in tragedy for you and for Lois. Your Lois died because in this universe she is dead. What you do not know is that at the time of her death there was a different outcome which was possible, that of Lois surviving. What I am going to tell you now is going to be hard to believe but if you think about it carefully, relating what you have already experienced and what I just told you about Schrödinger's cat you will understand.”

“You are already aware of the existence of different universes the one where the other Lois came from which I call Prime is only one example. Have you ever wondered how these alternate universes came into existence?”

Clark shook his head in the negative and said, “I never really gave it much thought.”

Herb continued, “As it turns out, we have discovered that there are certain critical actions or happenings which trigger the creation of an alternate universe.”

“Now comes the critical information, my boy, you and Lois are focal points for these critical points which trigger the creation of a new universe. Each time either of you end up in a situation where your existence could be terminated there are two possible outcomes, just as with Schrödinger's cat. It is like a computer program, two possible answers yes or no. Yes you live or no you don’t live. In this universe that you inhabit the answer to the question of whether or not Lois lives was answered in the negative. We cannot change that. If we were to go back as you suggest and use this gem to give her your powers we could save her but in doing so we would simply be creating another universe, a universe wherein Lois is alive. Unfortunately that would not be this universe. Her survival would simply create another new universe wherein Lois is alive. Unfortunately that would not change your circumstance in the slightest.”

“So what you’re saying is that no matter what I do, no matter how many times I go into the past to save my Lois, Schrödinger's cat is always there. It will always result in a new universe being created and in all cases I will wind up in the situation where she is dead.”

“Yes, exactly, unfortunately that is what I mean when I say that we cannot change history. The course that the history of this universe follows is one wherein the Lois of this universe does not exist. However, we can in essence bend history somewhat to make some changes. That is why I am proposing this mission. If we can find a universe wherein through some circumstance the Clark Kent of that universe does not exist we could ‘import’ his Lois Lane to this universe. In that fashion we will be resolving the problem in not one but in two universes since each is missing one of the principles.”

“The reason I had you identify the Sapphire Kryptonite is this. You are unique. As a result of Tempus’ actions your secret identity has been revealed. When we do find you a mate we need to be able to endow her with super powers matching your own. Otherwise, as the human mate of Superman she would be subject to kidnap or injury by anyone attempting to either gain control of or garner revenge against you. With this gem that problem is alleviated.” Herb reached out and picked up the Sapphire Kryptonite. “Another unique thing about this Kryptonite is that your foes cannot gain control of it and use it against you. Once Lois’ body has been acclimated to it only she will be able to utilize the powers it bestows. Normal Earth humans will not acquire any powers; to them it is simply a piece of jewelry.”

“Now that we have the Kryptonite there is one other thing that we need. That is the red Kryptonite. In the universe which was created by the survival of your Lois after she was shot, the red Kryptonite was used in a laser. The laser was not built to attack you because you had not been revealed as Superman and therefore vulnerable to Kryptonite at that time. It was used to exact revenge against Lex Luthor.”

Clark snapped his fingers and said, “I remember that story! I just read it a couple of months ago, uh, years ago, in October of 1992. Luthor was attacked and killed by a couple of women using a laser to slice and dice him. That weapon should be in the police evidence room still. I could probably go to Bill Henderson and have it turned over to me.”

“My boy, that would be ideal. In that way we would have all of the necessary pieces to endow any Lois you find with the powers she would need to be safe.”

“Should I go now and see Bill? It shouldn’t take too long.”

“Yes, why not do that. In that way we can be certain that all of the pieces are in place.”

“Okay, I’ll be back shortly.” Clark flew out the French doors which led to the balcony. After approximately a half hour he returned, laser in hand. Herb picked up the blue sapphire Kryptonite and handed it to him.

“Perhaps you should place these in a secure location until we return. We may be able to use this for more than one individual, we will see. It would be nice, but not necessary to enable all Lois Lanes to have your powers. We will have to wait and see. In your case it is necessary that your Lois be super because of your unique status.”

“You mean that I’m the *only* Superman that’s been exposed as Clark Kent? How can that be? Do we all wear the same uniform?”

“Yes, you do within certain parameters. There are some that have added a mask component although in most cases they have not.”

“Okay Herb I can see the wisdom of that. Since everyone knows that Clark Kent is Superman the only option is to have Superwoman as a wife.”

“I don’t know if she told you or not during one of your encounters with the Lois Lane of Prime, but she acquired Superman’s powers by an exposure to red Kryptonite, however in that case he was left without his powers. They were not copied, they were transferred. The secret identity she created with the help of Martha Kent and Clark was that of Ultra Woman. Martha created the uniform and Clark named her. I don’t know what name your Lois will choose to use.”

“Well, since I’m already packed there is nothing stopping us from starting this mission right away.”

“Right you are. The sooner the better! The sooner we find you a Lois Lane the sooner you will be happy. Tally Ho!” Herb jumped up from the chair he had been sitting in and pulled out a small device that looked like an oversized cell phone. It turned itself on as soon as he touched it. “Clark, you may want to bring just an overnight bag with you and don’t forget the gems. We cannot be sure of the current fashion where we are going and it may be advisable to purchase a wardrobe upon arrival. I will transport us to the outskirts of Metropolis and I will make it early morning so that you will have time to sell some of the gems and have time to find a place to stay, etc. It will then be up to you to determine just what the situation is and just how to proceed.”

Clark went to his bedroom and returned with an overnight bag into which he deposited the gemstones, all but the sapphire Kryptonite. “Okay Herb. I’m ready.”

“Excellent. Here we go.” He punched a few keys on a pad. A doorway opened up in the air in front of them and they stepped through.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 8 – The First Mission

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:21 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj