Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As promised, a much lighter ending to this tale. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, a much different tone. Clark seems happier, and I wondered at the change. Surely, it can't be because Lois is lying in the hospital because he wasn't around to save her? Was it her calling out to "Clark" when he came upon her bloody and shot in the street that made him finally have hope?

But at the beginning of this story he's once again stating that he's going to leave town, only now that she's injured he can't leave her. clap

I consider getting a Get Well balloon as well, but I think Lois might get right out of bed and remove my spleen for that one.
Um.... then wouldn't it be worth it? clap

"I know. I also know now that part of the reason I've been so angry with you lately is because I've felt rejected. And that hurt, because I love you Clark. Completely, truly in love, in a way I've ever felt for anyone else. Or ever could feel for another."
Wow! Is that the drugs giving back her self-confidence?

where is he anyway? Wildman Scardino couldn't be bothered to come visit you while you're here?
Um... How would Scardino know that Lois was in the hospital? Clark didn't tell him. Nobody but Lois knows how to contact him and I can't see her calling him.

"He was pretty angry when I told him that I don't want to see him anymore. We wound up arguing until late, him trying his best to woo me back.
A-Ha! It wasn't Clark's fault she was on the street at 2:30am, it was Scardino's for delaying her until that time. clap

"Yikes," I say, truly pained for her. Dan abandoned her, and I was about to. "Sorry."
I don't see how Dan "abandoned" her. a) he didn't know she was shot and in hospital. b) she DUMPED him. How is that abandonment?

"You went into my place?"
Lois Lane card carrying member of the lock-pickers club of America.

I was determined to talk to you, so I used the spare key under your mat
CLARK! Didn't getting robbed the year before teach you ANYTHING? clap

"You've helped to heal the wounds I once bore, helped mend my perception of home and family."
CLARK: Oh, sorry, that's my aura. It's really good for healing stuff.

"You're still hurt pretty badly. And I can only speak for myself, but I'm eager for you to get well enough to get out of here."
[Linked Image]That must have been some kiss!

"Take me home...with you? I don't want to go to my place. I think I'll heal better having you close at hand."
CLARK: Again, that's my aura, but I'm more than willing to share it with you. Thing is, it works best if we're naked. [Linked Image]

She stifles another yawn and closes her eyes, hugging that stuffed bear I brought her as if it was a lifeline. I shake my head silently, jealous of that bear.
Awwwwwwwwwwww.

In the sudden silence of the room, I feel ridiculously bereft. I miss the sound of her voice, filling the small room and making me forget, for a while, the situation; that Lois is hurt because I wasn't there to protect her. Now, as she drifts off, I am once more painfully aware of where I'm sitting - in a hospital room, the regular intervals of beeps from the various machines hooked to Lois the only thing breaking the oppressive silence.
Thank you for reminding Clark and us where she is.

Okay, I've got to run out. I'll do the other half of the story later... probably tonight. Sorry, about the half-FDK. blush

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
What a beautiful revelation story! I love how Lois put the pieces together and that she realized why Clark kept it from her.

Joan

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
It's really a wonderful story, DC! wave

Sydney

Non ! non, c’est bien plus beau lorsque c’est inutile !
(Edmond Rostand)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, a much different tone.
Main reason I split it into 2 stories. Plus, I liked the titles.

Clark seems happier, and I wondered at the change. Surely, it can't be because Lois is lying in the hospital because he wasn't around to save her? Was it her calling out to "Clark" when he came upon her bloody and shot in the street that made him finally have hope?
More relief that she's pulled through. He's still pretty down on himself until he starts to talk to Lois though. Preparing to see her gives him a sense of purpose, so he has less time to dwell.

Deciding to leave her and Metropolis completely seems to be the slap in the face he needed. More so than her getting shot.
Actually, I meant for Lois telling him she told Dan to take a hike to be the sobering slap in the face.

Clark Kent, martyr.
Yup. laugh

I loved his indecision at the florist. How he's pulled in two different directions. Does having made the decision to leave finally given him the confidence to tell Lois -- despite Scardino -- that he loves her? I was almost at the point of yelling 'mix them together already!' when he finally decided to get her both. Phew!
evil Excellent! That's what I was hoping for!

Oh, look! A sheepish Clarkie bear.
laugh

I'm actually a little surprised that the florist would have 'get well' balloons. That seems more the stock and trade of hospital gift shops.
Nah. Some of my local florists where I grew up just outside of Manhattan carried everything. Stuffed animals, cards, balloons, vases, chocolates too I think. Even my Stop and Shop floral areas carry balloons.

She does seem a bit alert for almost dying the night before.
That's Lois. Almost dying was a minor hiccup on her radar.

My, their both pretty chipper for her being the hospital and usually a grouch, and all.
Clark's just relieved. And Lois doesn't have his bleak mood because she chose him.

Like he would have known who to look for anyway.
Clark Kent - world's biggest self-blamer.

Awwwwwwwwwwww and finally!
laugh

Wow! Is that the drugs giving back her self-confidence?
No, she made that decision to tell him the night before. She *did* at the end of WWW.

Um... How would Scardino know that Lois was in the hospital? Clark didn't tell him. Nobody but Lois knows how to contact him and I can't see her calling him.
Nope. Clark's just talking without really thinking. He's still processing "I love you." wink

A-Ha! It wasn't Clark's fault she was on the street at 2:30am, it was Scardino's for delaying her until that time.
Yup. evil

I don't see how Dan "abandoned" her. a) he didn't know she was shot and in hospital. b) she DUMPED him. How is that abandonment?
Well, wouldn't it feel a little like that if the person who was all over you two seconds ago heard something they didn't like and then fled across the country to get away from you?

Lois Lane card carrying member of the lock-pickers club of America.
It always amazes me during the ARGH that she can't remember she loves Clark, but remembers perfectly well how to pick a lock with a paper clip. Maybe MacGyver was her real father, not Sam Lane?

CLARK! Didn't getting robbed the year before teach you ANYTHING?
Apparently not. In HoL, when he's on the phone, he tells Perry "the key's under the mat, Chief!"

/I think you're missing a paragraph break here./
Thank ya.

That makes sense. Clark wouldn't have been able to keep up the facade when seeing Lois like that.
Glad you mentioned that. *This* was the seed from which both stories evolved from. All I had going into this was Lois getting badly hurt and recognizing Superman as Clark based on the emotions she saw on his face.

You guys kiss exactly alike?
Um, I actually have thought of writing one where the kiss is what gives him away. cool

Aawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
laugh

This makes sense.
Yay! Thanks!

CLARK: No, I find flying away is much faster.
evil

CLARK: Again, that's my aura, but I'm more than willing to share it with you. Thing is, it works best if we're naked.
And...joined?

Awwwwwwwwwwww.
laugh

Thank you for reminding Clark and us where she is.
Anytime!

Okay, I've got to run out. I'll do the other half of the story later... probably tonight. Sorry, about the half-FDK.
No problem! It was lovely to wake up to some feedback, even if I had to wait until afternoon to respond.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by scifiJoan:
What a beautiful revelation story! I love how Lois put the pieces together and that she realized why Clark kept it from her.

Joan
Why, thank you, Joan! I've wanted to do this one for a while, with her figuring out the secret based on his look of love and concern. So glad you enjoyed it! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Sydney:
It's really a wonderful story, DC! wave
Thanks so much, Syndey. I waffled on the proposal, but thought Lois and Clark deserved it after everything I did to them in this one. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
FDK - Part 2 -

Days after Lois first awoke in the hospital, she's healed enough to be released, though under strict orders not to exert herself in any way, shape, or form.
Where's the fun in that? Oh, right. Keeping Lois alive.

As promised, I bring her back to my apartment, which I've spent the previous couple of nights preparing for her, all the while wondering if I'm going to have to restrain her so that she actually adheres to the doctor's orders to stay in bed as much as possible.
LOIS: help

I can't believe how galvanized I suddenly feel, when not ten minutes ago, I felt sluggish and weighted down by my need for sleep. I didn't plan for things to happen the way they are right now, but I find myself unable to hold my tongue.
clap Sweet!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
More shiny feedback! help
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm...I don't think she'd be *too* mad. Except for the missing work stuff...

Oh, no. Clark! No!
evil

Sweet!
Thanks! And thanks for all the lovely, detailed feedback!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
hyper This was a great kicker.)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
hyper This was a great kicker.)
Thanks, Mouse! I appreciate it. smile I love that you love the confession, move-in, proposal, etc. laugh

Oooh finals are over for you? Does that mean we can suck you back into the boards for a good long time? laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is so much happier than the previous story, and yes so much more satisfying.

Poor Clark, I just wanted to give him a hug. The scene driving to the hospital was a nice touch that cabdriver was very empathic.

Lois really wanted HIM, not the guy in the blue and red tights, but HIM. Scardino didn't stand a chance. Personally, Alaska is not far enough, how about the back end of the moon? laugh

Despite Perry's not being there, his presence is felt with his concern for both Lois and Clark. I love that man!

As always a job well done!

Looking forward to Specimen S! After I come back from a little RnR. What is your posting schedule?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Morgana:
This is so much happier than the previous story, and yes so much more satisfying.

Poor Clark, I just wanted to give him a hug. The scene driving to the hospital was a nice touch that cabdriver was very empathic.

Lois really wanted HIM, not the guy in the blue and red tights, but HIM. Scardino didn't stand a chance. Personally, Alaska is not far enough, how about the back end of the moon? laugh

Despite Perry's not being there, his presence is felt with his concern for both Lois and Clark. I love that man!

As always a job well done!

Looking forward to Specimen S! After I come back from a little RnR. What is your posting schedule?
Thanks for all the kind words, Morgana! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The moon for Scardino? Too close. How about the next solar system over from where we are?

Specimen S - expect updates once a week around Friday. Possibly on Thursday this week since I'll be going to NY for a wedding this weekend.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
Great ending! This was definitely the happiness and all-around more optimistic part I was looking forward to. And yet, it was so beautiful how amazingly you showed the differences between them. When he thinks Lois is lost to him, he becomes despairing and depressed, and yet, now that she's alive and healing and -- as he discovers -- in love with him, suddenly there's nothing bad in the world that doesn't have a silver lining! Clark needs her to be the optimist we all know and love! thumbsup

There were a lot of parts I loved through here -- especially that she wasn't mad at him; I'm always partial to stories where Lois allows her knowledge of who Clark really is and her love for him to temper her knee-jerk reaction -- but the part I loved most was this:

"I used to think that Clark had bits of Superman in him, like your unfailing manners and willingness...no, your eagerness to go out on a limb for those who can't do for themselves. But today, I realized it's the other way around. Superman has so much of Clark in him. His politeness. His decency. His generosity. His optimism and quiet strength. His unwillingness to allow me to continue on as I once was, and his determination to make me a better person. It was everything I'd come to know and love about Clark."

Beautiful and so well put!

Great story -- love that there was a proposal at the end!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great ending! This was definitely the happiness and all-around more optimistic part I was looking forward to. And yet, it was so beautiful how amazingly you showed the differences between them. When he thinks Lois is lost to him, he becomes despairing and depressed, and yet, now that she's alive and healing and -- as he discovers -- in love with him, suddenly there's nothing bad in the world that doesn't have a silver lining! Clark needs her to be the optimist we all know and love!
Happy to hear that you approve! I couldn't just leave this piece at *all* doom and gloom. I like how you put it - nothing bad in the world that doesn't have a silving lining. That just about sums up the Clark we all know and love from the show, doesn't it? laugh

There were a lot of parts I loved through here -- especially that she wasn't mad at him; I'm always partial to stories where Lois allows her knowledge of who Clark really is and her love for him to temper her knee-jerk reaction --
Thanks. I thought it might be fun to write her as not mad and realizing just why he did what he did. Always fun to write differently than what we saw on the show (not that I ever faulted Lois for being knocked for a loop when she discovered CK=S and reverting to her old standby of anger as a defensive mechanism).

but the part I loved most was this:

"I used to think that Clark had bits of Superman in him, like your unfailing manners and willingness...no, your eagerness to go out on a limb for those who can't do for themselves. But today, I realized it's the other way around. Superman has so much of Clark in him. His politeness. His decency. His generosity. His optimism and quiet strength. His unwillingness to allow me to continue on as I once was, and his determination to make me a better person. It was everything I'd come to know and love about Clark."

Beautiful and so well put!
Ah, thank you! I loooooved writing that part.

Great story -- love that there was a proposal at the end!
Oddly enough, I never intended for there to be a proposal in this story. But when I was wrapping it up, it just sort of screamed "Will You Marry Me?" to me. So I wrote it in. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, you un-killed me. The *comments* almost killed me tho - Do Not Read Comments From VirginiaR At Work Because People Think You're Dying When You're Actually Trying Not To Laugh Out Loud.

Now we need the smut for Part Three, right? Right??

thumbsup

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Kismatt:
Okay, you un-killed me. The *comments* almost killed me tho - [b]Do Not Read Comments From VirginiaR At Work Because People Think You're Dying When You're Actually Trying Not To Laugh Out Loud.

Now we need the smut for Part Three, right? Right??

thumbsup [/b]
Hooray for unkilling!!! And yes, don't ever read Virginia or Darth Michael feedback at work/in a somber/professional environment. You will laugh and you will spew liquids if drinking at the same time. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard