Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments here please!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Mouse,

Very cute.

Liked the byplay with Ralph a lot.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Lois was scowling deeply at him, and he heard her mutter his name darkly under her breath. He tried shooting her an apologetic smile, despite the panic he was currently feeling.

When the silence became unbearable, Clark finally broke the ice. "So, uh... does that mean we win?"

The look on his wife's face was priceless. Clark knew one thing for sure: he wouldn't be reaching first base, let alone any others, anytime in the forseeable future.
rotflol rotflol Oh god, you don't know how much I needed that belly laugh today after hearing the news about the DCnU. I miss this so much.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A new way of revealing the secret! Very funny and well done.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And here I thought the ball was going to do one of two other things: a) hit Ralph (come on, he deserved it), thus allowing Clark to steal second (and home run) later on. OR b) Clark turns and looks at Lois with his sheepish expression and she says, while looking at him like he's a lunkhead, "Run!" like nothing's wrong.

clap I wasn't expecting the reveal. Great job, Mouse! Can you have the ball circumvent the Earth and hit Ralph?

Lois's character was spot on! clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, I was expecting b, too. However, Clark's final line is totally epic. laugh (And I still expected Lois to answer, "Only if you start running, you fool!")

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Columnist
Columnist
Oh, Mousie!! That was super cute! Poor Clark, but at least Ralph will live another day because Lois' anger has been transferred! lol

.talk nerdy to me.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Stealing Second

"Safe!"
Ah. Baseball?

"Lois..."

"Chief! Ralph ran before Eduardo even touched the ball!"

"Yeah. That's called stealing a base, Lane."

"Shut up, Ralph!"
wave Michael

PS: There's an "FDK: " missing in the topic smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
Run, Forrest, run!
You know, that's the line that's popped up in my mind, too. I just forgot about it while typing. huh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Disclaimer: I own nothing. Now quit asking.
Do you own any of this? wink

A cacophony of cheers and groans erupted among the group, divided by the make up of their teams and their opinions of each of the scoring players.
Clark Junior at Little League? Daily Planet game?

"Chief! Ralph ran before Eduardo even touched the ball!"
Ah! Of course, it would be Ralph.

"Yeah. That's called stealing a base, Lane."
</me knows nothing about sports>

She turned murderous eyes on her husband
He'll be flaoting above the couch tonight, huh?

Lois harrumphed and crossed her arms. "That's what I thought," she mumbled under her breath, knowing only he could hear her. "Defend Ralph and you won't be stealing any bases from me any time soon, Flyboy."
clap clap

Clark stopped a moment to turn back around and level the man with a steely glare.
Good thing Clark has a ton of self control. Otherwise - ashes to ashes and all of that.

"Wouldn't hurt to use a little heat vision on him," he heard Lois mumble under her breath.
Hey! That's what I said! laugh

Everyone else is usually either dead, imprisoned or too new to beat Ralph on the list.
clap

What a great piece of fun! Poor Clark. He has some 'splainin' to do! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Can you have the ball circumvent the Earth and hit Ralph?
<agrees whole heartedly with Virginia>

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
eek Wow! Lots of comments! I don't have enough time to respond, but let me just say they are appreciated. laugh

I did actually consider having Lois telling him to run instead of being mad at him, but then I figured the base thing wouldn't work in as well.

Michael: Thank you for the reminder. blush I fixed it. Also, I didn't think about the baseball references as a possible point of confusion. My apologies. To clarify... in baseball, when someone hits the ball, they have to try and run around a series of four bases. 'Stealing second' refers to a player who has already hit the ball and is waiting on a base for the player 'at bat' to hit the ball. To steal a base, the runner on base runs *after* the ball is thrown but *before* the hitter hits it. So the runner can potentially get farther even if the hitter swings and misses. The spitting in baseball you're referring to is the nasty habit of all-ball-players-chew-tobacco. razz

(^ huh my family gets really into sports and I used to be a bit of a tomboy)

And rotflol hitting Ralph would've been a great idea. For Lois, maybe. Not Clark. laugh

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also, I didn't think about the baseball references as a possible point of confusion.
blush They never really explain the details when referencing it on TV shows.

'Stealing second' refers to a player who has already hit the ball and is waiting on a base for the player 'at bat' to hit the ball. To steal a base, the runner on base runs *after* the ball is thrown but *before* the hitter hits it.
Now *there’s* an explanation. I did a google search, but the bit about running before the batter hits was never touched on really. Isn’t that against the rules? And why is it allowed and officially tracked, then?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Now *there’s* an explanation. I did a google search, but the bit about running before the batter hits was never touched on really. Isn’t that against the rules? And why is it allowed and officially tracked, then?
Yeah. The internet can get you some crazy long drawn out stuff. :rolleyes: Nope, it's not against the rules (though it's not technically fair). As long as the runner makes it to the next base safely, it can count. If he doesn't make it, then he's out. laugh

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks smile

wave Michael

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Nope, it's not against the rules (though it's not technically fair).
Of course it's fair! It's within the rules of the game. The object is to advance from batting at home plate to first base, then second base, then third base, and finally home again without being tagged out by the other team or forced out. Stealing a base is a perfectly acceptable method of advancing that much closer to scoring. In fact, one of the most exciting plays in baseball (which is, admittedly, exciting only in brief spurts) is a runner on third stealing home.

(A force out occurs when a runner does not have an unoccupied base behind him and the ball is put into play so that the batter can advance to first - not a ball hit in the air and caught - and the defensive player holding the ball touches the base to which the runner is advancing before the runner does.)

The only problem with Ralph leaving the base early would be in slow-pitch softball. In that version of the game, the ball is tossed so softly by the pitcher to the catcher that someone who limps when he or she runs could steal second. But it looks and sounds like they weren't playing softball at all.

If Clark went to college on a football scholarship and didn't kill anyone playing a collision sport (basketball is a contact sport, football is a collision sport), then why does he think he has to act like a hopeless idiot on the diamond? He doesn't smash every coffee mug he picks up, so why would he send a baseball into orbit just because he hit it? I'm not sure the bat OR the ball would survive that impact, unless Clark projected his aura around them when he swung.

Apart from that, I thought Lois' attitude toward Ralph was understandable, if a little over the top for a company game. Maybe there's a little back story there where Ralph accused Lois of getting too much Superman help with her stories lately? Or Ralph making cracks about how much the Mad Dog has mellowed since she married?

But her attitude toward Clark was puzzling. No sex unless he took her side against Ralph? Granted, Ralph isn't the easiest guy to like (amazing how much mileage we get out of a character who had so little screen time), but there's no kung-fu fighting in baseball (use Tom Hanks voice)! And she's mad because he wouldn't let her clobber Ralph? Not to mention her look after Clark hit the winning walk-off grand slam. Her team won, she beat Ralph, so why isn't she happy with her husband?

This was a cute story and I really did like the baseball imagery. Thanks for the ride.

A true story: A minor league radio announcer once described a fly ball pursued by a right fielder in this way. "He's going back - back - he's on the warning track - his head hit the wall! Now it's bouncing back toward the infield! The center fielder picks it up and throws it to second!"

I guess baseball can be pretty violent after all.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
A true story: A minor league radio announcer once described a fly ball pursued by a right fielder in this way. "He's going back - back - he's on the warning track - his head hit the wall! Now it's bouncing back toward the infield! The center fielder picks it up and throws it to second!"

I guess baseball can be pretty violent after all.
clap rotflol The greatest moments happen in minor league!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard