Clark and Lois The Lost Years Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 3 43/46

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously:

Superman had interrupted a bank robbery already in progress. He used his superspeed to disarm the robbers and then used the velvet cables used in the queue lines to tie them up. The bank guard came over after having retrieved his weapon. “Think you can keep them here till the police arrive?”

Lois thought to Clark /I see the getaway car. I’ll get the driver./

/Okay, I’ll make sure that these stay put./

“I’m sure of it. Thanks, Mr. Uh … “

“I’m just a friend. We’ll leave it at that for the time being. My partner will be here in a second with the driver of the getaway car.”

Lois walked in holding the driver by the shirt collar and added him to the catch.

“Okay friend. I’ll keep ‘em here. Don’t you worry none.”

Superman and Superwoman took off and climbed into the air over center city and both looking around saw that everything was quiet so they headed home.

And now:

Chapter 43 – The Press Conference

When they got in their phone was ringing. Clark picked it up and with a cheery voice said, “Kent residence.”

“Clark where have you been?”

Instantly recognizing Perry White’s gruff voice, Clark played innocent. “We went out for breakfast. It’s our day off.”

Perry was obviously excited as he asked, “Have you been listening to the radio?”

Clark was playing it deadpan as he answered, “No, why”

Incredulity was dripping from his voice as Perry said, “It’s all over the news stations. There are two superheroes that just showed up.”

Clark keeping a skeptical tone asked, “What do you mean, superheroes?”

If Perry had been in the same room as Clark at that minute he might have grabbed him by the throat and shaken him to get him to listen. He was almost shouting as he said, “They have spent the morning helping clear up a major pileup on the interstate and just a short time ago one of them, a woman, stopped a high speed chase and the other one, a man, foiled a bank robbery. I know it’s your day off but I want you and Lois to get on this story, right away.”

”Okay chief. We’ll get right on it.” Clark hung up the phone. He turned to Lois and the two of them both broke out in laughter.

“Let me guess, he wants us to report on ourselves.”

“Right the first time! How do you do it?”

“I know Perry. Well, I guess we need to get changed. Except for the mask, gloves and boots I could wear the costume under my clothes. I just had a thought. We still have some of the spandex material. Why don’t we make something that looks like boots out of it? That way all we need do is roll them up and put them in a pocket when they aren’t needed.”

“Good idea. Since we can float we don’t have to be putting any pressure on them so they shouldn’t wear out. It should only take a couple of minutes to do that then we can go out and start interviewing people.” It only took a couple of minutes to cut and sew up the new ‘fake’ boots and they were ready to go. The fire service was still busy at the accident scene so they went first to the bank and interviewed the customers and the employees, especially the guard.

Lois asked the guard “Can you describe this individual that you say stopped the robbery?”

“Yeah, I sure can. He was a little bigger than you partner here and better built. He had on a blue suit with red boots, trunks and cape. The cape reached almost all the way to the floor. There was a mask that covered most of his face. Now, the woman, wow what a babe! She wore this skin tight outfit with a micro skirt. What a rack! And those gams, wow! She could be an exotic dancer! I’d sure pay to see her act. Couldn’t tell anything about her face though, she wore a mask too.”

Lois was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. She was afraid that she was going to start blushing. Trying to avoid that she concentrated on her questions. “Did the mask make you uneasy? Most law abiding people don’t wear a mask.”

“Nah, not for a minute. I used to read comic books as a kid. Plenty of them superheroes wore masks. They needed to protect their ‘secret’ identity. I got no problem with it. I could tell right off that he was one of the good guys. I hope they stick around a while. We could use more people like them around here really bad.”

“What else can you tell me about them? Did they give you their names?”

“No, they didn’t. They just said they were friends. I for one am glad they are. I’d sure hate to have them as enemies, I’ll tell you that. The way they rounded up those crooks, there ain’t no way I’d want them after me.”

“Thank you for your time. What is your name and can I quote you?”

“Sure you can quote me all you like. That name’s Mike, Mike Powers.”

“Thank you for your time Mike. The article will be in the Daily Planet.”

The next stop was the twelfth precinct and Bill Henderson’s office.

Clark asked the first question. “Bill, what can you give us on the bank collar and that high speed chase this afternoon?”

“I almost didn’t believe the report about the chase but then another report came about a bank robbery being foiled. The officer reported that a high speed chase was in progress. Suddenly a woman in a bathing suit with a cape flew down, disarmed the perp and reached in and turned off the key on the perp’s car. When the car was stopped she opened the door and dragged him out and held him up in the air until the uniform had the cuffs on him.” said Bill.

“Can we talk to the officer? We’d like to get a better description than a woman in a bathing suit.” Lois asked.

“Don’t forget about the cape.” Bill said.

With a sarcastic tone in her voice Lois said “Oh yeah, a bathing suit *with* a cape.”

“Okay, the officer is Jeffers over in Broadway, precinct thirteen. Just ask for Detective Danny Clover, tell him I sent you over. He’ll set up the meet with Jeffers.”

“Thanks Bill. We’ll head over there right away.”

Lois was glad that after they had moved back to Metropolis they had purchased a car. They had used it more before the White Orchid Ball but it still came in handy now that they needed to cover up their abilities.

They drove over to the thirteenth precinct and after meeting Danny Clover they interviewed Jeffers. He, of course, gave a thorough description of the woman that had stopped the chase.

“Yeah, she was some babe. Really stacked with beautiful legs. Blue Speedo type swimsuit with a micro mini skirt and a cape. She had this stylized ‘S’ symbol on her chest. I don’t know what it stands for. It must have some meaning though.”

“What about her face?”

“Face? I think it was covered.”

After they were back in the car they both broke out in laughter. “Well, I guess we don’t have to worry about you being recognized. I don’t think he even glanced anywhere above your bustline.”

Sarcastically she said, “I feel a lot safer!”

Clark said, “Let’s get in to the office and write up what we have.” She started the jeep and they headed for the Planet offices.

The next edition of the Daily Planet led with:

NEW SUPERHEROES IN TOWN CALL THEMSELVES FRIENDS
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent

“Calling themselves friends, two superheroes suddenly appeared yesterday. They stopped a high speed car chase broke up a bank robbery and helped with the multi car pileup …”

At home Lois and Clark discussed how to present themselves to the community.

“I don’t think that we can give the Planet an exclusive. That would only put a spotlight on the paper.” Clark proposed.

Nodding her head in agreement Lois said, “Your right. We can’t afford to have too great an association with the Planet. How should we go about it?”

“I think we need to contact the mayor’s office and ask for a press conference.”

“What if Perry assigns us to cover it? Lois asked.

“We may have to take turns. One of us in the audience while the other speaks.” Clark suggested.

“How about this. You go as the spokesperson and I’ll be in the audience. Clark can be home sick. After I ask a few questions I can duck out and join you at the mic.”

“That sounds good. How do you think we should handle it?”

“We can work on the questions I’ll ask and then you can field any others that are asked.”

“I think that we need to let everyone know that we are married. Otherwise we may have a situation where men are throwing themselves at you and women at me.”

“I agree wholeheartedly on that one. I don’t want strange women throwing themselves at my husband!”

“And I don’t want men making passes at my wife.” They both had a laugh over these possibilities.

Clark used his prepaid cell phone to call the mayor’s office. After identifying himself as the person that helped at the crash site and broke up the bank robbery he was put through. “Mr. Mayor I would like to thank you for taking my call”

“Don’t mention it. What can I do for you?”

“Mr. Mayor, I would appreciate it if you would arrange with the various media outlets to hold a press conference. I would like to give an explanation for our presence and introduce us. Could you do that for me?”

“I’d be more than happy to. When?”

“How about noon tomorrow?”

“I’ll set it up. How about in front of City Hall?”

“That would be fine Your Honor. Tomorrow at noon in front of City Hall. Thank you.”

The next day a platform with a podium had been set up in front of City Hall and the members of the press corps were in a bunch in front of it. Several noted dignitaries were on the platform some scanning the skies looking for their new Superheroes.

As the clock in the tower began to strike 12 one of the officials shouted, “I think I see one of them! It’s the guy, but he looks to be by himself.”

Just as the clock finished striking its twelfth note he landed on the platform. The mayor stepped forward and stuck out his hand. Superman took it and shook it. The mayor beckoned him to the podium. The mayor started speaking. “Ladies and gentlemen of the press it is my pleasure to have arranged this press conference. I would like to introduce our guest.” In an aside to Superman he asked “What do I call you?”

“Superman.”

Turning back to the mics he said “I would like to introduce our guest, Superman! He is going to give us some background information. Superman, if you please.”

“Thank you Mr. Mayor. Ladies and gentlemen of the press. My companion has been delayed by another commitment however I do expect her to be here shortly. I would like to make a brief statement and then I’ll open the floor to questions.”

“We have been here among you for a brief period attempting to assist your constabulary in secret. If you recall some weeks ago there were reports in your newspapers about the ‘Karate Kids’, I must confess that those individuals were myself and Superwoman in disguise. We were not ready at that time to reveal our presence so we adopted that means of being able to assist. It recently became necessary to act, out in the open. In the recent multi-vehicle accident on the interstate many lives were at stake and we wanted to prevent as many fatalities as we could. We determined that the best way to do this was by assisting the fire service and your police in their efforts in that incident. We have come here as friends and only desire to help in any way we can to assist in preserving life and preventing crime. At this time I’ll open it up to questions from the press.”

Since Clark had been sick, Perry had teamed Lois with Ralph Pinedo so they were both in the press area. Spotting Lois with her hand up he pointed to her and said “The young lady in the front row.”

“Superman, where exactly did you come from?”

“I am a space traveler. I was born on a planet called Krypton in a far distant system. Krypton was a very massive world under a red sun. In the lower gravity of Earth we have tremendous strength and agility. I would like to keep the full range of our abilities a secret from all except those with a need to know. My home planet Krypton was destroyed by a core instability which caused it to blow up. The survivors relocated to a planet now called New Krypton.”

“A follow-up if you will. How long will you be staying?”

“We have now made the Earth our home. We’ll be staying as long as we are needed. As long as we can help, we will.”

“Thank you.”

“Next question please.”

Superman selected Ralph Pinedo. “Who is that babe that you were with? Is she your sister or something? Is she available?”

Lois had quietly been moving away from the crowd trying to make her exit as she heard this set of questions. She started to do a slow boil. If she had been up on the platform she might have been tempted to fry him with her heat vision.

“When she arrives I’ll allow her to explain our relationship. I think it’s best if you hear it from her. Next question, please.” Superman pointed to Linda King from LNN.

“You alluded to additional powers. We have all seen you fly. We know from the reports that you can rip doors and roofs off of vehicles with your bare hands. When you do these things aren’t you taking a chance on injury?”

“I think I can answer that without revealing too much. Our skin is a lot tougher than that of an Earth Human. A Kryptonian Human under Earth’s yellow sun has virtually impenetrable skin.”

Lois had managed to extricate herself from the crowd and found a secluded area to spin into her uniform. She took off faster than the eye could follow until she was at altitude. She sent Clark a message /I’m at altitude. Coming in./

Without looking up Superman said, “Superwoman is approaching. She should be here in about ten seconds.”

Exactly on time Superwoman landed at Superman’s side. There was a not so hushed exclamation from the crowd at her appearance, mostly from the males in the crowd.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about! Hey, babe, are you available?” This was from Ralph.

Superwoman turned to Superman and putting her hand behind his head pulled him down for a very deep soulful kiss. She then turned and looked straight at Ralph and said, “I’m too much woman for you! You couldn’t handle me and if you tried to my husband, Superman, might just break you in two.”

Ralph metaphorically placed his tail between his legs and tried to exit before the jeers that he was getting from his colleagues got too bad.

Superwoman continued “Yes, Superman and I are husband and wife not only by the laws of Krypton but also of Earth.”

“As to involvement in day to day rescue and crime fighting activities, my husband will be the one primarily responsible for assisting the first responders and police. It will only be when he is unavailable or in circumstances such as we had the other day where more than one pair of hands were needed that I’ll become involved. I want to stress again, we are friends to the people of the Earth and we are here to help in any way that we can.”

Superman said “We have time for two more questions. The gentleman in the blue suit.”

“Why the masks”

“The masks are to preserve our anonymity. We are humans just as you are and we are living among you as humans. We, as you, cherish our privacy. We have a life and hope to have children here. If we lost our privacy what kind of life would we have. We have been here long enough to have formed some friendships. If not for our privacy anyone known to associate with us would be subject to kidnap as an attempt to control us. To give a theoretical example, if it were known that we were friends with His Honor the mayor. His Honor could be subject to kidnap and by that we could be subject to blackmail to do things which we would not normally do. I guess you could say that the masks protect our private identities and anyone that we know in our private lives. We have studied some of your old radio and television programs. I think of ‘The Lone Ranger’ when I think about the mask. He wore the mask to protect his identity from the criminals he fought because he still had relatives who could be vulnerable if his identity were to be known. He also wore it as a symbol of justice. He had two things that were his symbols the mask and his silver bullets. We hope that our masks will serve the same purpose. They are to be symbols for justice and safety.”

“Last question.” Superwoman pointed to a reporter from the Star.

“What does the symbol on your chest stand for?”

Superman responded, “It actually has a dual meaning. It is a symbol in my native language for the name of my house, the house of El. My wife wears the same symbol because by marriage she is now also of the house of El. The other meaning is derived from its similarity to your English letter ‘S’. It stands for Superman and Superwoman, the names we go by when we help.”

“That is all the time we have for questions. My wife and I wish to thank you for your time. We have other commitments that we need to attend to.” He took Superwoman’s hand in his and with a wave of his free hand they took to the skies.

They flew straight up until they were out of sight and then headed for 348 Hyperion Ave. They landed quickly and went inside. They spun out of the uniforms and into their civilian attire.

“I think that Clark is going to feel better. The headache he was suffering from has lifted and he can accompany his wife back to work for the afternoon. What do you think?”

“I think I would love to have my husband with me. I’m glad the headache lifted.”

“Wonderful stuff that aspirin.”

They both started laughing. Lois said “I guess we need to get in and write up this story. We don’t want the Star to scoop us after all.”

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 44 – Another Revelation – Or Is It?

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:13 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj