“So, what are you guys going to do tonight?” Jimmy asked as they filed out of the final session of the day.

“I don't know,” Lois said. “We'll probably just stay in, maybe watch a movie.”

“Are you kidding?! This is our vacation. There's so much to do! A bunch of us are going to go out to some clubs in the area. You ought to come.”

“I don't know, Jimmy,” Lois said reluctantly. “I haven't been out clubbing in ages.”

“All the more reason to come! Come on, Lois, do something spontaneous. Have a little fun!”

“I have fun!” she said, bristling.

“I know, I know,” Jimmy said, raising his hands in surrender. “I didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to convince you to come. It's going to be great. Everyone's going.”

Lois hesitated.

“It does kind of sound like fun,” Clark said. “Let's give it try, Lois. If we're bored, we'll leave. No big deal.”

Lois wavered for a second, and Clark reached over and squeezed her hand. He gave her a pleading look, and finally she laughed and gave in. “All right, all right. We'll go.”

“Great!” Jimmy exclaimed. Then he hesitated for a minute, as if there was something he wanted to ask but was afraid to. “Hey, guys, I…. Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course,” Clark said. “What is it?”

“Well, it's just that…. See, everyone is talking about it and I…. Well, I don't want to pry…. But I just don't understand why everyone seems to know but me.”

“What are you talking about?” Clark asked.

Jimmy looked down and shuffled his feet. Finally he looked up and forced out the question. “When did this happen?” he asked, gesturing to the two of them. “You know, *this.* When we left Metropolis, everything was normal. And now it's like you two are…are…are a couple. Everyone's talking about it. It's like this accepted fact. They act like you've been together forever. When did this happen? And why didn't you tell me? You guys are like my best friends! I would have been so happy for you! I just don't understand why you didn't tell me – why I had to hear it from someone else!”

Lois and Clark exchanged uncomfortable glances. Lois squirmed, unable to think of a proper response. Her first reaction was to deny everything, but before she could say anything she realized that after dinner and the scene in the bar last night, Jimmy was probably right about the whole conference talking. But on the other hand, she really didn't want to explain the whole embarrassing situation to him.

Before she could formuate a response, Clark came to the rescue. "You're right, Jimmy," he said. "Maybe we should have said something to you earlier, but the whole situation is kind of … well, complicated."

Lois felt herself begin to flush and she couldn't meet her young co-worker's eyes. Yes, it was definitely complicated, but also totally humiliating. And now Jimmy was going to know what an idiot she had made out of herself with Paul, both in college and by creating a fantasy boyfriend last week. Lois didn't embarrass easily, but right now, she wished the floor would just open up and swallow her whole.

"See, the thing is, Jim, this whole relationship, it's really … personal. It's also very new and frankly, I haven't wanted to say anything to anyone for fear of jinxing it."

Lois's eyes widened and she lifted her head to look at Clark. He was protecting her secret, even from Jimmy? If they'd been alone, she honestly thought she would have wrapped her arms around him and kissed him out of gratitude.

As if reading her mind, Clark turned to give Lois a warm smile, then took her hand to squeeze it reassuringly. "Anything anyone says here, Jimmy, is just conjecture. We haven't been going around telling everyone at the conference things about our personal life, but you know how reporters are. They see things and they talk. We're not trying to leave you out, I swear. We're just not ready to make any big announcement. But I promise, when -- if -- we're ready to talk about it, it will be with you. So can you just leave it be for now?"

Jimmy didn't look quite satisfied, but he let the subject drop. “Okay. Fair enough. Why don't we meet around nine and head out then?”

At five "til nine, Lois was standing in front of the full length mirror, viewing her outfit from different angles.

“You look incredible, Lois,” Clark said from the doorway of the bathroom. She was wearing a short blue skirt and a tight white shirt. With the suit jacket that went with the outfit, she looked sexy yet professional. Without the jacket, she looked…incredible.

“I don't know. Do you think it's okay? I didn't really bring any clothes suitable for clubbing.”

“It's perfect. You look wonderful. Come on, let's go meet Jimmy.”

They arrived in the hotel lobby to find a group of reporters assembled in a huddle animatedly discussing which club they should start at. The conversation was going nowhere fast. Each suggestion was met with complaints that the crowd was too wild, too boring, too young, too old, or just generally not right.

“Come on! Adam's Morgan is the best part of the city. And Madam's Organ is great. The bartenders actually dance on the bars. It's incredible.”

“It sounds a little wild for my taste. Let's go to Georgetown. Sequoia is my favorite – lots of beautiful people and it's right on the water.”

“Sequoia is great, but Georgetown is a pain in the ass because you can't take the metro there. We'd have to get a couple of cabs and that's going to take forever tonight when we're ready to leave.”

The conversation went in circles for a few more minutes until someone suggested The Left Wing, a new club that had opened just a few blocks away. It was trendy enough to draw attention, close enough to walk, and had the added bonus of boasting a rooftop terrace. Once everyone had agreed, they set off.

As they walked to the club, Clark noticed Lois shivering slightly. He automatically slipped an arm around her, rubbing her arm gently. Lois smiled up at him and snuggled closer. Clark sighed, realizing how natural this had become. Even when Paul wasn't around, they played the part of a dating couple perfectly. It was no wonder that Jimmy had heard the gossip; everyone seemed to be intrigued initially by the fact that The Daily Planet's hottest reporting team had become something more. The interesting thing was that the longer the charade went on, the less attention they seemed to attract. Their couple status seemed to be accepted as the norm now, drawing fewer curious glances. It was very common for journalists to date and marry within the profession. The couples were often professional partners either before or after they were linked romantically. So, in their colleagues' eyes, their romance was commonplace. They were just one more couple.

Of course, they weren't really a couple. But only he and Lois knew that. Right now, he was playing the part he was born to play. He was having the time of his life, and only the realization that it would have to come to end eventually was enough to dampen his spirits.

As they neared the entrance of the club, Clark resolved not to think about the end. Tonight he would focus only on the present. He would enjoy his night out on the town with Lois.

They worked their way into the club, squeezing past the crush of bodies clustered near the door and worked their way to the bar. They ordered a couple of drinks, and watched as most of their colleagues made their way onto the dance floor.

“I forgot what this was like,” Lois said, smiling. “It seems like it's been forever since I was in a dance club.”

“Did you do a lot of clubbing in college?” Clark shouted over the music, eager to learn more about Lois' past. He loved when Lois revealed her deepest secrets and darkest moments to him, but he also wanted to know about the rest of her past – the good things, the mundane things. He wanted to know who she was before he knew her.

"I did my share, especially after Paul graduated. After he and Linda left, I was able to relax a little more and finally build some friendships on the paper. I was never as much into partying as a lot of the staff, but after working so hard to put out an award-winning daily, people were really excited to let their hair down. So I certainly tagged along to a lot of parties."

“Yeah?” Clark said, intrigued. “I wish I could have seen that.”

“What about you? It's hard to imagine you getting really wild out clubbing, but you played football in college right? Everyone knows football players know how to party.”

“Yeah, I did my share of partying too, but I wasn't really that wild. I liked the parties, but I have to admit that I worried about some of it. The guys on the team would get really drunk and stupid. It was fun until people starting do dangerous things. I usually wound up being the designated driver, or the one who was there to stop people when they started to fight or cause problems.”

“I can see that,” Lois said with a grin. “That's my boy scout. Always there to regulate when things get out of control.”

Clark laughed, not at all offended by her summary. She always teased him about being a boy scout, but he had a feeling she liked that aspect of him. Besides, he couldn't help but notice that she'd called him “her” boy scout this time.

They ordered another round of drinks, but as they arrived, Clark caught a glimpse of a familiar -- though completely unwelcome -- face over Lois's shoulder. His jaw clenched and he could feel a scowl growing on his face. He couldn't believe Paul would actually dare approach them after last night in the hotel bar, but here he was, ambling up as if nothing had ever happened.

"Hey, guys! I heard everyone was meeting up here, but I didn't expect you two to come." Paul sidled up to the bar and ordered a drink. From the steady sound of his voice, it may have been the first time all week when he wasn't half-drunk. Though from the double the man had ordered, Clark was sure that was about to change.

Clark stepped between Paul and Lois, making it perfectly clear that he didn't want the man anywhere near his girlfriend. "This is a big club, Paul … I'm sure with a little work on everyone's part, we can make sure we don't occupy the same part of it."

The reporter looked up at him, a little surprised. "Gee, Clark, you're not still mad about last night, are you? Someone told me that you and I got into it at the hotel bar … I can't say as I really remember what about, but you don't have to get all macho about it. I'm just here to have some fun, just like you two are." Then he looked past Clark to Lois, his smile changing into something of a leer as he checked out Lois's short skirt. "Though I notice you're not out on the dance floor. All talk and no action, eh, Lane?"

Lois watched as Clark drew himself up to his full height, but she quickly took him by the hand. She didn't want another fight tonight -- Paul was so clearly not worth even a moment of Clark's time. Holding Paul's gaze, she downed the rest of her drink in a single gulp, then pulled Clark to her. "Come on, honey," she said, emphasizing the endearment. "Let's leave Paul to his date with the bottle and go have some fun." And with that parting shot, she pulled him out to the dance floor.

As they reached the edge of the floor, Clark leaned in close to her ear. "You don't have to prove anything to him, you know."

“Who cares about him?” Lois said. “Let's prove something to ourselves. Let's forget about who we are now and just be young and irresponsible again.”

Lois' arms snaked around his waist, and she pressed herself to him. “Come on, Clark. Please.”

Clark laughed and hugged her back.

Lois swayed in time with the music, rubbing against him and sending shockwaves of pleasure coursing through his body from every point of contact. One of his hands rested on her waist, then began gliding over her back. She smiled up at him and it seemed like she was honestly having a great time, not just putting an act for Paul's benefit.

She brought one hand between them, running it up his chest, smoothing over the cool cotton of his shirt. Clark felt his heart rate speed up as scratched her fingernails lightly over his chest.

Their bodies moved in tandem, swinging and swaying to the beat. Their hips swiveled together. Her other hand slid down his back, dipping below his waistband and pulling them even closer together.

Clark growled her name. He had to put some space between them before he lost control. Luckily just then the band stopped and announced they were taking a short break. The DJ began playing music and Clark grabbed Lois and led her off the dancefloor.

He noticed that a number of their acquaintances from the conference had moved to a table and deciding that it was probably best not to be alone with Lois the way he was feeling just then, he led her in that direction.

Many of the other patrons had the same idea, and by the time Lois and Clark found their way to the table, there was only one chair available.

Clark immediately indicated that Lois should take the chair.

“No, go ahead,” Lois, said, gesturing to the empty chair.

“No, really. Take it,” Clark said. His upbringing would never allow him to sit while she stood.

Lois rolled her eyes and tugged his arm. She caught him off guard, and he sat in the chair to avoid falling. As soon as he was seated, Lois perched herself in his lap. She slid one arm around his shoulders to balance herself and settled in.

Clark took a ragged breath and tried to slow his thudding heart. His hand automatically went to her hip, holding her in place. Lois squirmed again, causing Clark to grit his teeth.

“Is this okay?” she asked, giving him a flirty smile.

“Yeah,” he said, fumbling for words. “It's fine. Are you okay?”

Lois nodded, then turned back to the discussion. Within seconds they had a new round of drinks and were engaged in a conversation with the other reporters at their table. Clark couldn't believe how natural it felt to have her balanced in his lap. It didn't seem to bothering Lois at all. In fact, as she talked, she began toying with his hair. However, Clark was not nearly so unfazed. His mind was awhirl with the sensations she was creating. The feel of her fingernails against the sensitive skin of his neck was taking his breath away. She had to know what she was doing to him. He didn't know whether to strangle her or kiss her. He *wanted* to kiss her, and it seemed like she just might be open to that, given the way she was acting with him tonight. But he wasn't sure. Maybe it was just the alcohol combined with her desire to show off in front of Paul

Once Clark's senses came back to him enough to allow him to have thoughts that didn't include Lois, he noted that Jimmy had holed up in a dark corner of the bar with the young intern from the Washington Post.

He pretended to follow the conversation, but spent the next half hour alternately cuddling Lois and inching away before he lost control. He had no idea, he realized later, what had been said during the conversation.

Finally the band took their places again, and Lois leaned down to whisper in his ear. “Come dance with me again, Clark,” she whispered, her lips grazing his ear and her warm breath sending a shiver down his spine.

He forced himself to swallow, then nodded in agreement. He stood, and every muscle in his body tensed as she slid off his lap. They weaved their way back on the dance floor, and instantly they were lost in the music again.

As song after song played and their bodies moved together in the seductive rhythm, Clark's blood pressure continued to rise. Lois seemed to move closer and closer with each song. Her hands skimmed over his body, caressing his chest then stroking the back of his neck and playing with his hair. Her actions gave him the courage he needed to be bold and daring. His hands roamed her body, respectful but insistent.

Clark lowered his lips to her ear, allowing them to brush against her skin as he spoke to her. “How much longer do you want to stay? They're going to kick us out of here before too long. I just heard the bartender make the last call.”

“One more song,” Lois said, her lips brushing against his cheek.

Clark turned his face to look at her, and her lips glanced against his. Clark hesitated, stilled with indecision. He desperately wanted to kiss her, but he didn't know how she would react. He wanted to push the boundaries, but he didn't want to push too hard and scare her away.

She breathed his name, and he swallowed hard. Clark hesitated. Then he pushed all doubts and random thoughts from his mind and leaned forward. His lips brushed hers gently and he waited for her to pull away immediately. When she made no move to pull away, his lips began to tug at hers, caressing and teasing. She responded immediately, tangling one hand in his hair, holding him to her. Finally he pulled back, resting his forehead against hers for a moment before separating from her completely. The song ended and Clark smiled, still breathing hard. “Come on, let's get out of here.”

It occurred to Clark shortly after they left the club that Lois might have had too much to drink, and that the alcohol's effect on her judgment might have been what prompted her to respond to his kiss. But that fear melted away as they walked through the quiet city streets to their hotel. The alcohol might have reduced her inhibitions slightly, but Lois was very much in control of herself, obviously still sober as they chatted about numerous topics. And to Clark's delight, Lois took his arm and snuggled close to him for the duration of the walk.

As they got ready for bed that night, exhausted from their long day, Clark expected Lois to act weird after their kiss on the dance floor. Instead, she seemed comfortable and happy as she climbed into bed.

She stretched out next to him, settling down into the pillow, and Clark told himself just to enjoy the time they had together and stop stressing about all the deeper meanings in everything.

“I had a great time tonight, Clark,” Lois whispered.

”Me too. I'm glad we went.”

“When I saw Paul, I thought the night was going to be ruined. But I'm glad we didn't let him bother us. Thanks, Clark.”

“For what?” he asked, genuinely confused.

“You know, for tonight. I had a really good time. If you hadn't been there, I'd have been miserable.”

“Hey, the pleasure was all mine, I promise you,” he said, rolling to face her and reaching to stroke her hair. “I had a wonderful time.”

Lois yawned and snuggled deeper into her pillow. “Good night, Clark,” she said softly.

Clark rolled onto his side, facing her. He reached out tentatively, placing his hand on her stomach. She placed her hand over him, stroking it gently, and smiled up at him. “Good night, Lois,” he whispered, leaning down to brush a kiss across her forehead.

Their eyes met one last time, and then they settled into the bed. Clark couldn't resist one last peek at Lois before closing his eyes, and he felt a flurry of excitement and tenderness, when he saw her eyes flutter shut, a slight smile playing across her lips.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen