For greatest understanding, you should start with - Hurricane - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1B

and follow that with - Summer Camp - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1C

First Love - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1D

and

First Love part 2- Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1E

First Love - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1F
By KenJ <ken.janney@kjanney.com>
This version is rated PG-13
Submitted July 23, 2102

I want to thank VirginiaR for the impromptu beta job.

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros., except those I created. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
/ denotes telepathic communications./

Saturday, September 3, 2039

It was Saturday and the Labor Day weekend was upon them. Everyone in the Kent clan packed up their families. All of the women were bringing dishes to share with the rest of the family. Clark had the Bar-B-Que pit fired up and was getting a head start on the grilling since this would be a rather large gathering. The back yard of the Wisteria Lane house had been decorated. In one section some pools of various depths had been put up for the children along with some lawn games. A number of tables had been set up for serving and eating.

Except for Lara and Mike, all of the families started arriving at around noon. Since Lara and Mike lived in LA they used the same trick that Lois and Clark had used when their children had been small. After the younger children were asleep they moved them by super express to Metropolis. The children woke up in their rooms in the Wisteria Lane home and thought nothing of it.

Cold dishes were placed into the refrigerator until it was time to start eating. The grandchildren all mobbed Grandpa Clark and Grandma Lois as soon as they arrived to say hi, before going over to the play area.

As families arrived groups would gather and start talking.

It always amazed Clark that even though he could recognize everyone’s heartbeat, he could still pick Lois’ heartbeat out of the crowd and know exactly where she was and her emotional state. Today he could tell that she was immensely happy. She really enjoyed having the kids and the grandkids around. Pretty soon they might even have the next generation showing up. Lara and Mike’s eldest daughter, Louise, was going to be fourteen soon. It just seemed like the years were flying by.

Shortly after Sean departed to join his wife, Celeste came over and gave her Dad a hug and a kiss.

Clark asked her, “How is it going in the clinic?”

Celeste didn’t need any time to think about that and replied, “Things are going well. Thank you for interceding with the Superman foundation to fund our little project. We see an average of two hundred people a day. It really keeps my staff hopping!”

Clark replied with an awestruck tone, “Wow! Two hundred a day? In a years time that would come close to the entire population of a town the size of Pensacola, Florida!”

“Yeah, and we do some really good work, treating the poor and uninsured.”

“What does Bill think about you working down in that depressed area?”

“Oh, Wild Bill doesn’t mind. It might have been a different story, if I wasn’t super though.”

This threw her back in her memory; back to before she was married to William ‘Wild Bill’ Davidson.

Saturday, July 18, 2031
Suicide Slum

The super heroine, Noel, hovered above Suicide Slum. In all the years that she had been alive there hadn’t been any successful efforts to clean up this part of town. It was still crime ridden.

Celeste was doing extra patrols, filling in for her brother who was out with Heather. She was happy to be able to do this for him, after all, it was like he was her other half. Sharing the same womb with someone for a little over eight months brings about that kind of closeness. They really didn’t even have to work at understanding each other. Even without the telepathy, it was like each knew just what the other was thinking. She was really happy for Sean. Heather was a really nice girl and Celeste looked forward to the day when she would be her sister-in-law.

Heather would be starting the new semester in September. She was a doctoral candidate in Environmental Engineering at MetU. Because of this Heather and Sean were making the most of her time off. Heather was spending a lot of time with him at the apartment that he shared with Celeste, a lot of nights sharing Celeste’s room. She and Heather had become fast friends and Heather had done something no one else had ever done. She had given Celeste a nickname, Celie. It sounded like something she, as a Scottish lass, would come up with. To her surprise the nickname had really taken, even Sean was using it.

As she was scanning the streets and alleys of Suicide Slum she used her enhanced vision to compensate for the gloom.

Suddenly she saw two men in an alley. The one had a gun out and the other man had his arms up in surrender. The man with the gun was dressed in somewhat scruffy clothes and broken down sneakers. His hair was on the longish side. He was reaching inside the jacket of the other man with his other hand.

Noel swooped down and put herself between the man with the gun and the other man and said, “You really should find a different line of work.” She grabbed his gun and took it from him. He started to protest but she said, over her shoulder to the other man, “You’re safe now. He won’t harm you.”

As soon as she said this the man took to his heels and scampered down the alley.

The man that she had taken the gun from protested, “You don’t know what you’re doing!”

She replied, “Yes, I do! I’m stopping a mugging!”

With an angry tone to his voice he replied, “No, you’re not! You’re interfering in an arrest!”

With a surprised tone she squeeked out, “Arrest?”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out an ID case. Flipping it open he showed her a police ID and a gold badge, gold being the sign of a detective.

She stammered, “I .. I’m, I’m really sorry! I, I didn’t know! The way you were dressed!” She handed him back his gun.

“I was in the process of busting a drug dealer when you interfered!”

She quickly tuned in her superhearing and listened for his footsteps. She said, “Wait right here.” She took off, apprehending the perp less than a block away. She picked him up and flew him back to the alley and placed him on the ground, up against the wall in front of the detective.

He spun the perp around so that he was facing the wall and said, “Spread ‘em.” The perp obeyed immediately. The detective moved in and placed a foot just inside the perps left foot. If he tried anything he could sweep his foot out and throw him to the ground. He pulled out his handcuffs and reaching up snapped the cuff on his left wrist. He pulled that arm down and behind the perp. While holding the chain of the handcuffs with his left hand, he reached up with his right and grabbed the perps right hand and brought it down and behind him, applying the other cuff. He then turned the perp around and finished frisking him, which was what he had been starting when Noel interrupted. As he was doing this he was reciting, “You have the right to remain silent. If you chose not to anything you say …”

When he had finished the Miranda warning he turned to Noel and said, “Thanks, I think.”

Noel, abashed said, “I’m really sorry. I’ll try not to let that happen again.”

He replied, “You do that.”

She asked, “By the way, what’s your name?”

“Bill Davidson, Detective Bill Davidson. They call me ‘Wild Bill”, I don’t know why, something about not necessarily going by the book all of the time.”

“Okay, well, ‘Wild Bill’ I hope to see you again.”

“Not if I can help it.” Turning to his prisoner he said, “Okay you, let’s go. You’ve got a date with a cell.”

Celeste watched as ‘Wild Bill’ and his prisoner walked away and thought to herself, <Oh, I’ll be seeing you again, you can count on it.>

Tuesday, July 22, 2031

Less than a week later, as Noel was again hovering over Suicide Slum, she saw two cars that appeared to be drag racing down a busy urban street. As she watched one car managed to get a lead on the other and made a left just ahead of a light change. The car in pursuit did a four wheel drift through the light, sideswiping a car that had just moved legally through the light. She swooped down and landed on the roof, reaching to either side and grabbing the window frame and roof and lifted the car airborne. She flew it to a parking lot and wouldn’t set it down until the driver had taken his foot off the gas. Then she released the car and landed next to the driver’s door. When she looked in she had a shocked expression and stumbled back with a look of sheer horror on her face.

The driver opened the door and stepped out. He addressed her, “Well, you’ve done it again! The car I was chasing was the getaway car from a liquor store heist.”

She recovered quickly and said, “Wait right here.” She flew off and about a minute later landed with the car he had been pursuing.

He pulled his gun and ID out and held one in each hand as he said, “Police! You’re both under arrest. Get out of the car, put your hands on the roof and lean in to them.”

He pulled out his handcuffs and applied a handcuff to the wrist of one of the perps. He had him move around to the other side of the car and used the other cuff to attach the two perps together once he had their arms wound around the door pillar of the getaway car. As soon as this was done he frisked them, removed their weapons and read them their rights.

Once this was done he went back to his car and got on the radio. He gave his location and requested backup.

He slowly walked over to Noel who had been standing by all this time and asked, “What do you have against me? Did I do something to you to make you mad, or something? Is it my cologne? The way I comb my hair?”

She stammered her reply, “No, no, I, I just, I just saw two cars racing and I needed to keep people from getting hurt.”

With disgust in his voice he said, “So, you stopped me and let the felons run away.”

"Did you ever stop to consider the fact that it was you that ran a red light and sideswiped another car?" She shot back.

With bitterness in his voice he replied, “Well, it was in the line of duty. The city will pay for the repairs. Listen; don’t do me any more favors, okay?”

She replied, “I’ll try not to interfere again. I’m just here to help.”

He replied, “That kind of help I can do without. Go on, get outta here and go help somebody that really needs it.”

“Yeah, like that driver you sideswiped. I think you knocked him into the curb. I don’t think his car is drivable.”

“Tell him to sue the city.”

As she took to the sky she was mentally berating herself for making that mistake, especially with him of all people. <Why did it have to be *him*? Anybody else and it wouldn’t have been a problem, but, this is twice in a week that I’ve made a problem for him. I need to start using my x-ray vision to see who it is before I interfere.>

Saturday, July 26, 2031
ER, MetGen

Doctor Celeste Kent was nearing the end of her shift and also nearing the end of her current rotation in the ER. It had been a relatively quiet evening until they heard the tones go out over the med-channels which dispatched the Medics. She knew that they could expect serious injuries and marshaled her staff to prepare for the onslaught. Once everything was prepared she manned the radio to relay orders to the Medics as they transported the victims in.

Fortunately she found out that it would be a single victim, not a mass casualty event so most of the staff were ordered to stand down. They waited. They could hear the siren as the ambulance approached and knew when it was near the drive because the siren suddenly went silent. When the ambulance pulled in the Medics pulled the stretcher out of the back and rushed the victim in through the glass swinging doors.

The individual on the stretcher was a bloody mess but through all of that blood, she felt that she recognized him.

With the typical efficiency of the ER he was cleaned up, his bloody clothes were removed and a hospital gown put on. Once this had been done she started her work. She had a couple of cuts to suture and a couple that Steri Strips would handle. She infused the area with a little Lidocaine before starting the sutures. She used the finest thread she could find and used only enough sutures to close the wound. Then she applied Super Glue to finally close the wound. That would hold until the sides knit.

Half an hour later he woke up. The nurse called her over and as she arrived he was trying to get up out of the bed. She quickly moved to the side of the bed and placing her hands on his shoulders pushed him back onto the pillows. She said, “Just where do you think you’re going?”

Groggily he said, “I need to get back there and take them down.”

She said, “My patients don’t go walking out on me!”

As she was saying this he finally was able to focus his eyes and see who was talking to him. When he got a good look at her, he ceased his struggles and relaxed. He asked, “You’re my doctor?”

She replied, “That’s right! I’m Doctor Kent. You’re in my ER and you’re not going anywhere.”

He started to smile and said, “Well, if you put it that way. As long as I can lay here looking at you, I will be good and stay right here.”

With a small smile on her face she replied, “I can’t guarantee that you’ll be able to look at me all the time, Detective Davidson. I do have other patients. We are busy at times.”

When she used his name he got a shocked expression on his face and asked, “How do you know my name?”

She was caught off guard. She had made a mistake and she knew it. She had to think of some excuse and do it fast. She stammered out, “Uh, well, uh, your, uh, your ID, we had to check your ID in your wallet, yeah, your ID.”

He started to smile but didn’t say anything.

Celeste was bothered by that smile. He had a very nice smile. She said, “I have other patients to check on. I’ll be back later.”

Celeste sent a thought, /Sean, HELP!!!/

Sean immediately replied, /What’s the matter Sis? I thought you were on duty today. Why the SOS?/

/Sean, remember how I took over a patient for you the other day?/

/You mean Heather?/

/Of course I mean Heather. I need your help. I need you to take over a patient for me./

/Sis, really? What’s his name? Where is he?/

/He’s Detective Bill Davidson and he’s here in the ER./

/I’m with a patient right now. I’ll be down in a couple of minutes./

/Thanks, Bro. This makes us even for that favor./

/It might make us even for that one but there are a lot of others on your tab, but, who’s counting./

/You’re supposed to help me, after all you are my *big* brother./

With a mental chuckle he sent, /Alright *little* sister. I’ll see you in a few./

Half an hour later Sean Kent walked into the ER. He approached his sister, and she pointed to the cube that the patient was in.

Sean walked into the indicated cubicle and picked up the chart and started reading Celeste’s notes. As he was doing this he said, “Hello, I’m Doctor Kent and I’m going to be your doctor.”

Bill asked, “Did you say, Kent?”

Still looking over the chart he replied in a somewhat distracted manner, “Yes, Doctor Kent, Sean Kent. I see that my sister treated several deep lacerations. Let me take a look at them.”

When Sean had finished speaking, he put the chart down and pulled out his pen light, moving it up so that he could examine his sister’s work. He muttered to himself, “Those sewing lessons Grandma Kent gave Sis really paid off.” He spoke up and directed his comments to Bill, “She did a very good job. You should have only minor scarring as a result.”

Bill asked, “You did say that she’s your sister, didn’t you?”

Sean looked at him and said, “Yeah, my twin sister.”

“That’s good news.”

Sean said, “I think we need to keep you here overnight for observation. If you behave yourself you’ll be out by noon tomorrow. We need the beds for more serious cases.”

“Anything you say, Doc. I’ll try to be good.”

Sean said, “I’ll check in on you once you’re up on the floor.”

A half hour later Bill was transferred to the floor.

At the end of her shift Celeste changed and went up to visit him. The door was open so she walked in. Bill sat up straighter in the bed and asked, “Did you come to check on your handiwork, Doc?”

She replied, “No, not really. Your doctor told me that everything was going to be fine.”

He asked, “Tell me, Doc, why did you do that? Turn me over to your brother, that is.”

She replied, “Ethical reasons.”

He said, “You know, I have the strangest feeling that we’ve met before. We couldn’t have, could we?”

Taken aback by this question, she stammered, “I don’t know. I don’t think so. How could we? I mean, you’re a policeman and I’m a doctor. This is the first time you’ve been in my ER.”

He gave her a very apprising look as he asked, “What are you doing for lunch tomorrow?”

Surprised she asked, “Me,? Lunch? Tomorrow?”

Bill reaffirmed, “Yeah, you, lunch, tomorrow.”

She replied, “I’ll be on duty until 5:30.”

Not willing to be thwarted he asked, “How about dinner then?”

“Dinner? With you?”

With a slight chuckle Bill said, “I think I’m hearing an echo in here. Yeah, dinner, tomorrow, with me. Will you? And don’t just repeat what I’ve said.”

Not wanting to seem too eager, Celeste said, “Well, I don’t know. I’ll have to think about it.”

Not wanting to give her a chance to actually turn him down, Bill said, “Don’t think too long. I may change my mind.”

Celeste came to a decision, “Alright, I’ll go out to dinner with you.”

“Should I pick you up here?”

“Yeah, that would be fine.”

Bill had an odd look on his face as he said, “Okay, but only if you promise not to leave me in the lurch to handle any emergencies.”

Celeste, thinking only of her duties in the ER said, “Unless we have a mass casualty event, I’ll be free at the end of my shift.”

“I meant, outside the hospital.”

With a startled expression she asked, “What do you mean?”

“I think you know what I mean. The thugs that beat me up took my ID. It wasn’t in my clothes. I know how you knew my name. Let’s talk about it over dinner.”

That dinner had started a relationship which had resulted in a marriage.

Celeste came out of her reverie and looking around saw that Bill was talking with Rich and Rob, Jessica’s and Lucy’s husbands respectively. She excused herself from her dad and drifted over that way.

Bill sensed her approach and turned to meet her. He asked, “Having a good time?”

“Yes, yes I am. I was just thinking about how we met. You know, I don’t know if I ever told you this, but, you were my first love.”

“I have a confession to make, I had dated and had some girlfriends before I met you, but, none of them could hold a candle to you. With you it was different. I guess you could say that you were my first love too.”

She looped her arm through his and said, “Come on, let’s go get something to eat.”

comments go here

The End

First Love part 4 - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 1G

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:04 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj