Clark and Lois The Lost Years Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 3 34/46

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously:

“This wedding that you had in the Congo, is it legitimate? Is it accepted here in America?”

Lois was rather amused by this question and started to laugh, “Yes, Mother, it’s legitimate. It’s legal and binding. I don’t *need* to have a church wedding. Clark *wants* me to have it.”

“Okay, if you’re sure. I guess I’ll just come east with Sam.”

“That’ll be just fine. Luce, any idea when you want to come?”

“Can I bring James with me?”

“I guess he could use another of the guest rooms. Yeah, bring James with you.”

“How about we come the last weekend of next month? That should give us the time we need for dresses and all that.”

“Good, that will also give you time to get to know my Matron of Honor, Lana Ross. I was Matron of Honor in her wedding.”

And now:

Chapter 34- Revenge
September 30, 1992

It had been two weeks since Pete and Lana had arrived in Metropolis. A few days before the White Orchid Ball, Pete and Lana had moved into their new apartment.

Lois gave Lana a call. “Lana, Clark and I are going on an undercover assignment and we’re leaving this evening to register at the Lexor. Could I ask you to do me a favor?”

“Sure Lois. What do you need?”

“I need some help getting ready for this assignment. Could you come and help me get dressed and made up for this? I could probably do it myself, but it’s so much easier to have someone else do it for you, you know? Like when I helped you with your makeup for the wedding.”

“Lois, I’d be glad to. Where and when?”

“The ball is day after next. If you could come to the Lexor Friday afternoon, about 5, that should give us plenty of time.”

“You got it. I’ll be there. Should I bring Pete with me?”

Lois replied, “Sure, he can give an opinion on how effective the disguise is. We’ll be leaving in a few minutes.”

“What room will you be in?”

“Would you believe the Honeymoon Suite?”

“Wow, it must be nice. Are you sure this is for the job?”

Laughing Lois replied, “Yes, it is. We just got lucky on this one. We are pretending to be visiting royalty and that’s the only suite that would do for our cover.”

October 2, 1992

The day of the White Orchid Ball was upon them. That morning Lex had called Nigel in. “Nigel, what progress have you made on getting a picture of Lois Lane?”

“The picture I was able to obtain from DMV wasn’t really usable, but through our contact in the State Department I was able to obtain a passport photo which though it is several years old was of better quality. I sent it off to our people in Brazzaville. They flew it up to the rebel camp and showed it to the people that saw the female reporter. They were not able to make a positive ID. They said it could be but, then again it could have been any woman.”

“Did you take the picture to the Daily Planet office in Brazzaville?”

“Yes, but the results were inconclusive. There were only a couple of women in the office at the time and they refused to cooperate. Our agent got the impression that they had been directed to not answer to any queries.”

“Are we dealing with incompetents? How difficult is it to look at a picture and tell if it’s someone you saw or not? Okay, whatever. Keep following up on that.”

“Another action item. This evening we’ll have several members of the space sub-committees in the Senate and House at the ball. Have a meeting room prepared so that I can get them together and try to convince them to throw their support behind my offer to assist with the space program. Have the appropriate libations available. Send in Mrs. Cox on your way out.”

A couple of minutes later Mrs. Cox entered. “Mrs. Cox, please contact Mitzie and have her send a few of the girls over to act as hostesses for the meeting I’m panning with the members of the Senate and House sub-committees. It would be nice if she would have the special room ready if any of the esteemed members of government would like to accompany one of the girls back to her establishment. Tell her to make sure that the girls are dressed appropriately.”

“I’ll take care of it Lex.”

“I know, I can always count on you.”

She sashayed out of his office with a sexy swaying of her hips while he looked on appreciatively.

A few seconds later Lex’s intercom buzzed. “Yes?”

“Lex, Miranda is here to see you.”

Lex let out a virulent expletive and then calmed himself and depressed a key. “Send her in.”

The door opened and in stepped Miranda Michaels. She didn’t beat around the bush but came straight to the point. “Lex, where’s my money?”

“What money would that be?”

“That would be my cut from the last arms shipment.”

“Well, you see Miranda, we ran into some unexpected complications. The shipment was compromised.”

“Compromised? Does that mean that we didn’t get paid? What happened?”

“There was an apparent leak and the media were notified of the shipment. There were some reporters following the cargo.”

“Was it delivered?”

“Yes, it was delivered.”

“Then where’s my money? I need those funds to finance my research.”

“There were additional expenses …” Lex stood up and stepped around his desk. Once in front of it he leaned back against it.

Moving in closer to him she continued, “Don’t give me that! You got paid. You should give me my share.” Her tone changed and took on a slightly sultry note as she continued, “If you can’t, maybe we could compromise.” She reached out and started toying with his tie. “Why don’t we do this, the ball is tonight. I’d be willing to forgive my share if you’d invite me to come as your date. It could be like old times. After the ball we could spend some time together.” This last was said as she glanced in the direction of his private apartment.

Shaking his head Lex replied, “Miranda, Miranda, you know that there is no ‘we’, not anymore. That’s ancient history.”

Dropping her hands to her sides she retorted in an angry tone, “In other words there’s no us *and* no money.”

With something of a sneer in his tone and on his face he replied, “That’s right.” Lex turned around to pick up a cigar from his humidor. When he turned back around Miranda sprayed him in the face with a liquid from a small atomizer she had carried in her pocket. “Ugh, what was that? It smells like old athletic socks.” He said as he waved his hand in front of his face in an attempt to dissipate whatever it had been.

With a tone of superiority and mystery in her voice she replied, “Just one of my concoctions. I call it ‘Revenge’.” She gave her brew a few seconds to act before continuing, “Are you sure that there isn’t anything that you want to say to me?”

With a tone of finality in his voice Lex replied, “Just good day. You can see yourself out.”

With a more than disappointed air she turned to leave. “You haven’t heard the last of me Lex.” She turned to give him one last look as she exited only to see him blow a smoke ring and exhibit his obvious pleasure with the cigar.

After she returned to her shop Miranda checked the contents of the atomizer. She sprayed a male lab rat and then placed it in the cage of a female. The male rat went through the courting ritual normal for rats which consisted of checking to make sure that his companion was a female and then he mounted her, repeatedly.

She started muttering to herself, “Why didn’t it work? This compound should have had him groveling at my feet begging me to love him and make love to him. I wonder if it has a delayed response in the human species. It sure worked on *this* rat. Why didn’t it work on *that* rat in LexTower?”

The limo stopped in front of LexTower. The doorman opened the rear door and a gentleman in a tuxedo stepped out. Turning around he presented his hand to assist the woman he had ridden with from the car. A hand appeared from inside the car followed by a shapely bronzed leg and then the rest of the woman. She was dressed in a floor length sapphire blue hip hugging skirt which was slit up the left leg to mid thigh. Her hair had been swept up in a very elegant do. She wore a halter style top of gold brocade with a diaphanous over blouse of light blue. Her slippers were of the ballerina style also in gold brocade matching the top in style. She also wore a veil. It was made of the same diaphanous material as the over blouse and covered her face from ear to ear, crossing her nose just below her eyes and fell to just below her chin the effect was to reveal and yet still conceal her features. Her eyes were heavily made up and gave the appearance of having a slight slant as a result. Absolutely no one would ever be able to recognize her as Lois Lane. Her bare midriff was as bronzed in color as her shapely leg. What was most striking about her attire was not so much the dress but the jewelry that accented it. It was a striking Blue Sapphire set. Because of her regal bearing the tiara had the appearance of a crown. This was complimented by the earrings, the mesh necklace and the other pieces.

The tiara and necklace bore the largest blue Star Sapphires in existence. She also sported a large Star Sapphire belly button jewel which was only fractionally smaller. The contrast of the jewel against her skin was dramatic. The couple moved into the lobby and entered the elevator to the floor where the White Orchid Ball was being held. As they exited the elevator they presented their invitation to the coordinator who announced “The Princess Adelinde of the Principality of Kong&#333; and her consort Prince Charlot.”

Putting on her most regal airs with her hand resting on Clark’s extended hand she made her entry. All eyes were on her and Clark didn’t even need his superhearing to hear the “Ooos and Ahhhs of those in attendance as she proceeded down the stairs to the hall.

Clark was also disguised. He wore a tux with an over garment which looked like it was part of an Arabian burnoose. He had added a full beard with mustache and an Arabian Shimagh or head scarf. Within the folds of his clothing he carried a number of listening devices which he planned to ‘plant’ in Luthor’s office area.

Once they had reached the floor a number of dignitaries had approached them to express their pleasure at the Princess’ visit to this country.

One member of the state department approached. “Princess, I’m not familiar with your principality. Might I ask where it’s located and what its history is?”

Fortunately they had taken the time to fabricate a history so Lois launched into her prepared presentation. She was vaguely specific on almost every issue which left the gentleman she was talking to both satisfied and confused at the same time. Being who he was and not wanting to lose face he couldn’t admit to his confusion and thanking her returned to his party. Clark, with his superhearing listened in, “It’s a lovely country. Rather small but with great wealth per capita. A rich oil bearing strata being the source of their prosperity. You should visit them sometime.” It was all Clark could do to keep from laughing out loud. He decided that he would have to tell Lois what he had heard later.

A short time later Luthor descended the stairs with several members of congress with whom he had been meeting. He had been proposing to add his support to the space effort and EPRAD. His concern over the attempted sabotage of the Prometheus shuttle had caused him to come forth and offer his assistance.

As he reached the middle of the flight he spotted Lois. She was standing alone in the center of the floor looking very regal and very demure. Her pose was such that a delicately shaped bronzed leg was visible through the slit in the skirt. Luthor excused himself from his party and made a beeline toward Lois. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her as he continued the descent on auto-pilot. He felt he had to meet her. He had to possess her. She meant everything to him. He couldn’t live without her. When he reached her he asked “And whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?”

“I am Adelinde, Princess of Kong&#333; and you are?” (She pronounced it Kon-Go’ oh.)

“My name is Luthor, Lex Luthor, your servant, your slave.” She proffered her hand which he took and performed a deep bow over it as he said this. He kissed her hand and started kissing up her arm until she pulled it away.

“Zen you are zee ‘ost of ziss affair. ‘ow nice to met you. I sank you for zee inveetation. I ‘ave yust recently arriv’ed in zis country and know very few peple. Your inveetation arriv’ed shortly after I took up reseedence in zee Lexor ‘otel. Lexor … Lex – or. You also own zee ‘otel?”

“That I do Princess. If there is anything that I can do for you during your stay to make it more comfortable simply tell the staff that you have spoken to me and it will be done. Please allow me to come with you and I can show you *all* of the amenities that are available.” <I Love her and I must have her.>

“I sank you for your kind o’ fair, but zat weel *not* be necessary. I find zee suite to be quite comfortable … a leetle small, but comfortable.” <What is going on here? Why is he coming on so strong to me?>

“Which suite would that be?”

“Zee ‘oneymoon Suite.”

“That is the largest suite in the hotel. I’m sorry you’re displeased with it. Perhaps I could come ‘fluff your pillows’ for you.” <I must get her alone. I must have her at all costs.>

When they had seen Luthor at the top of the stairs, Clark had pointed him out to Lois. He had then headed for an exit so that he could make his way into Lex’s offices to plant the bugs. It was Lois’ job to keep Luthor occupied while Clark did his job.

Luthor continued in his most ingratiating and urbane manner, “If there was any way in which I could enlarge it while you were here I would do so.” Luthor turned slightly and signaled to the band. The band started playing a waltz. Luthor turned back to Lois and asked “May I have the pleasure of this dance?”

“’ow can I rezeest when zee ‘ost ees so gracious?” <I don’t like the feel of this. Something’s going on. Does he recognize me? Is he trying to distract us?>

They started moving around the floor. Seeing them several other couples began to dance.

As the number proceeded Lois was wondering <Where is Clark? He has had plenty of time to plant those bugs and get back here.> She was beginning to feel more than a little bit uncomfortable as little by little Luthor pulled her in closer and closer. Just as she was about to lose control and do something which would have blown their cover Luthor stopped. He had been tapped on the shoulder and looking past him Lois saw Clark.

“May I cut een?”

“No, you may not! I haven’t completed the dance! Go away and don’t bother me again! She’s with me!”

“Yes, ‘owever, zat ees *my wife* you are danceeng weeth.”

Luthor froze. His hands fell lifelessly at his sides. He was crushed. He stammered “I, uh, I didn’t … I didn’t know. I didn’t see a ring.”

“It ees not our *custom* to wear zee wedding reengs. Nonetheless, I am preence Charlot and she *ees* *my* *wife*. Now, *eef* you please, I would like to dance wiss my wife.”

“Of course.” Turning to Lois he bowed again and said “Thank you madam for the dance. I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening.” Luthor turned and left joining another party in conversation off the dance floor. Shortly he called over the coordinator. “Who is she?” He indicated Lois.

“The princess Adelinde.”

“That’s what I thought she said. Okay. Send my secretary to me.”

A few minutes later Mrs. Cox showed up.

He led her out onto the balcony, leaving the French doors open in the process. “I want a team at the Honeymoon Suite of the Lexor, tonight. I want the woman brought to me. I don’t care what happens to the man, I just want the woman.”

“But Lex, right out in the open?”

“We can claim that enemies from their country unhappy with the current rulers made the hit. Just do it. I *must* have her.”

“Alright Lex, if that’s what you want.”

“See to it.”

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 35 – The Attack

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:03 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj