Clark and Lois The Lost Years Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 3 33/46

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously:

With her head close to the mechanism Nell answered in a somewhat distracted manner as she had her hands working inside the mechanism. “No, it’s not finished. I have to check and then confirm the alignment then I have to check the exciter and the power supply. Then I need to check the collimator. Then I have to recheck the alignment and then we have to run a low power test … “

“Just tell me that this is going to work!”

“It’s going to work!”

“Tell me why.”

“Because we have to get back at Lex Luthor for firing us and we don’t care how we do it. Actually the more painfully the better.”

“Can’t we skip some of those steps? It sounds like it’s going to take you more time than we have!”

Nell looked away from her work and at Lucille, her hands still buried in the mechanism and said “No, we can’t skip any step, not if you want to be sure it’s going to work the way it’s supposed to.”

“When are you going to start the testing?”

“I should be ready to start the testing tomorrow

“All right then, keep working. Just work faster I don’t want to miss the ball.”

And now:

Chapter – 33 – Ellen Lane Gets a Shock
Wednesday evening

Lois and Clark both were waiting for the call to come in from Lucy and Lois’ parents. They were eating Chinese and had just gotten to the fortune cookies. Lois broke one open and tried to read it. “Where did you get this dinner? I thought you went to Ralph’s Pagoda.”

“Nah, I know a better place in Shanghai. I was just careful that I couldn’t be seen or followed on radar.”

“As soon as I saw the fortune I knew it wasn’t from Ralph’s. It’s written in Chinese!”

“Here, let me see. I’ll read it for you.” She handed it to him. He opened it and started to laugh. “Okay, this reads - ‘Passionate kiss like spider's web, soon lead to undoing of fly’.

In indignation she said, “What kind of fortune is that? I was expecting something like ‘A tall dark stranger will sweep you off your feet you will marry him and live happily ever after’.”

Laughing Clark replied, “But, that wouldn’t be a fortune! That would be a past. That’s already happened.”

With a dreamy look in her eyes she regarded him and said, “I know. I just wish I had gotten something like that before we met so that I’d have had some warning. You kinda snuck up on me when I wasn’t expecting it.” She leaned over and sealed that particular comment with a kiss.

When they came up for air it was Clark’s turn to open his fortune cookie. He broke it open and took out the little paper and read out loud ‘Man with one chopstick go hungry’. They both started laughing.

They each had a second cookie. Lois broke hers open and handed the paper to Clark. He translated it ‘A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials.’ That one sure applies to us. We’ve been through some real trials just trying to get together.”

“I’m just glad that most of them are behind us. What about your other one?”

Breaking open his last cookie he read, “A rat who gnaws at a cat’s tail invites destruction. Well, I certainly hope that doesn’t apply to us. We’re after Luthor right now and he does pose a serious threat. I just hope we’re the cat in that one. I won’t allow you to be placed in any danger anymore.”

“Wait a minute. You’re my husband but you’re not going to lock me away to protect me. I’ve spent my life getting into and out of situations. At least now I know you’ve got my back, but even if you didn’t, I’m still going to go for the story. Sometimes it’s going to be dangerous. It comes with the territory. You just need to be there for the times I’m in over my head. Sometimes I don’t check the depth before I dive in and I do get into trouble. A good example of that was when I was shot. I had asked you to show me that move but you never got around to it before I was shot.”

“I think I made up for that later, didn’t I? I taught you the ‘Windmill’ and a few other things.”

With a wicked grin she said, “I like it when you show me things, a few things in particular.”

With an equally wicked grin he replied, “I will be more than happy to show you anything you want me to, anytime.”

Just as he finished speaking the call came in.

Lois reached over, lifted the receiver and said, “Lois Lane.”

“Lois, it’s Lucy and the folks. Got time for the call?”

“Lucy, I’ve been waiting for your call. Do you have speaker phone on that set?”

“Sure do. You want that on?”

“Please, I’d like to speak to everyone at the same time.”

There was a short pause while Lucy turned the speaker on. “Can you hear me now?”

“Sure can, can everyone hear me?”

There was a chorus of yeses from their speaker. “Hi Mother and Daddy, it’s so good to hear your voices. How’s everyone?”

“We’re just fine Princess, we’re happy to hear you.”

“I hear that you’re back in medicine Daddy.”

“That’s right Princess. I decided that there is no such thing as a quick method of getting rich. You have to work for it. You mother decided to help me do just that. I think that we might just be able to reconcile our relationship. At least we’re working on it.”

“Daddy, I’m so happy to hear that, you’ll never know. Mother, how do you feel about that?”

“Well, as long as things go along the way they are, there’s hope. Lucy said you wanted to talk to all of us together. What’s up?”

“I’ve got this phone on speaker as well. I wanted to introduce you to someone. We met while I was on my vacation. I guess the easiest way to handle this is to ask, Lucy will you be my Maid of Honor?”

There was a squeal from the phone. When Lucy settled down she almost screamed “Lois! Really?? You met someone? That’s wonderful! Who is he? How did you meet? What does he look like? I want all the details.”

“Slow down. He’s right here. You say you saw my byline on the shuttle story, well the other name on that byline is my man. His name is Clark Kent and he’s just a super guy.” She gave him a wink as she said that. “Daddy, I’ll need someone to give me away.”

“You’ve got it Princess. When can we meet your Prince Charming?”

“We’re on a story right now and are kinda tied up. We’ll have to make arrangements to fly out. Luc, we’d like to meet your beau as well.”

“You got is sis. I’m so happy for you. I can’t wait to meet Clark.”

“Let me introduce you right now. Clark, say hello.”

“Hello everyone.”

“Ellen Lane here, are you going to take good care of my daughter?”

“I think actually that Lois should answer that question.”

“Mother, Clark really takes good care of me and I love him.”

“Well, as long as he’s going to take care of my little girl … “

“No one, but no one could take better care of me. You don’t have to worry.”

“We’d like to have the wedding as soon as possible, the sooner the better. The problem is that we are on the east coast and you guys are on the west.”

“Princess?”

“Yes, Daddy.”

“Princess, your mother and I have been thinking about moving back east. How soon would you want the wedding?”

“We could have it anytime you guys are available.”

“Well, your sister seems to be settling into a stable relationship with her boyfriend so we don’t need to be here for her any longer. I have had a job offer which will get me out of clinical practice and into medical research, legitimate medical research. Your mother might or might not be working with me but I think she’ll be coming with me anyhow. If I accept the offer we could be in Metropolis by the end of the month. How does that sound?”

“That sounds wonderful!”

Clark asked, “May I call you Sam?”

“Sure, that’s okay.”

“Uh, Sam, who is the new job with?”

“The offer is from S. T. A. R. Labs. They are starting a new division in Medical Research. They heard about the work I did in artificial limbs and such and contacted me. They want me to head up a research group.”

“That will be terrific Sam. S. T. A. R. Labs is a premier facility. I’m sure you’ll like it there.”

“Let’s look at the second Saturday of the month after next then. That will give you time to get settled into your new place and your new job. Luc, could you and your boyfriend make it? Don’t forget I need a Maid of Honor!”

“You couldn’t keep us away! We’ll be there. I probably should come east before then for gown fitting and such.”

“If you want to come early you can stay in one of our spare rooms.”

Ellen spoke up, “Wait a minute. Did I hear you right? Are you two living together? My unmarried daughter is living with a man? What were you thinking? I’m flying out today!”

“Mother, there is no need of that!”

“What do you mean there is no need of that? You need a chaperone!”

“Mother, listen to me! We don’t need a chaperone! We’ve been living together for months now.”

“Why is there so much of a rush to … you’re not … you know …are you?”

“What? Pregnant?? No, I’m definitely not pregnant! That’s not why we’re getting married.”

“My daughter has been living in sin for months? What were you thinking? Are you at least sleeping in different rooms?”

“Mother, hear me out! No, I’m not living in sin! We also are definitely *not* sleeping in separate rooms. Mother, Clark and I are actually married. We were married in a civil ceremony in the Congo. Clark is so sweet he insisted that even though we were already married he wanted me to have all the pomp and ceremony of a church wedding. All our friends know already as do most of our co-workers. Clark wants me to have this and I’m kinda looking forward to it so, you don’t need to fly out today. Stay there with Daddy and come to Metropolis when he comes for the new job.”

“This wedding that you had in the Congo, is it legitimate? Is it accepted here in America?”

Lois was rather amused by this question and started to laugh, “Yes, Mother, it’s legitimate. It’s legal and binding. I don’t *need* to have a church wedding. Clark *wants* me to have it.”

“Okay, if you’re sure. I guess I’ll just come east with Sam.”

“That’ll be just fine. Luce, any idea when you want to come?”

“Can I bring James with me?”

“I guess he could use another of the guest rooms. Yeah, bring James with you.”

“How about we come the last weekend of next month? That should give us the time we need for dresses and all that.”

“Good, that will also give you time to get to know my Matron of Honor, Lana Ross. I was Matron of Honor in her wedding.”

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 34 – Revenge

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 03:03 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj