Chapter 5

The I.A.D.C., better known as the Inter-Agency Defense Command, was an elite government agency that fought against crime both within the United States and on occasion, internationally. And here Bruce and Clark were face-to-face with an I.A.D.C. agent who suspected them of wrongdoing. It wasn’t exactly the best situation for Batman and Superman to find themselves in.

“I’m Bruce Wayne, and this is Clark Kent, a reporter from the Daily Planet. He was just interested in writing a story about the missing woman, and I accompanied him because we’re close friends. Nothing more.”

“If that’s the case, then show me your press pass,” replied Diana.

Clark pulled out his press pass and handed it to her. She looked at it for a moment and once she appeared satisfied that it wasn’t a forgery, she sat it back down on the table.

“It looks real to me,” she said.

“Where is the real Denise?” asked Clark.

“She’s around,” Diana replied coyly. “The I.A.D.C. sent me here to shadow her in case the people who kidnapped her friend came here looking for her. When a couple of suspicious strangers started asking to sit in her section, I decided to take her place.”

“If the I.A.D.C. is that worried for the woman’s safety, then why wasn’t she taken out of state?” asked Clark.

“We weren’t too concerned about her safety since she couldn’t identify the man, but I was sent here as a precaution,” Diana explained. “The I.A.D.C. doesn’t mess around when it comes to the safety of a citizen.”

“That’s pretty admirable,” said Bruce.

“Which brings me to my next point,” said Diana. “The I.A.D.C. takes its discretion very seriously. Writing about my involvement in this case is off limits. If you do happen to put my name in the paper, you could get up to three years in prison, so think about that before you do anything foolish.”

“I wouldn’t print anything to jeopardize your case,” said Clark. “All I want is to see everybody get out of this as safely as possible.”

“Sure,” said Diana. “All of you newspaper boys are the same. Anything for a scoop. None of you even care if the stories you write might endanger a police investigation or harm national security. I’ve dealt with your type before.”

“Clark Kent is not your average newspaper boy,” Bruce piped in. “And I’m not your average billionaire. Just like you’re not your average government agent, right Wonder Woman?”

Diana looked shocked, but she tried to play it off like she didn’t know what Bruce was talking about. “What did you just call me?”

“He called you Wonder Woman,” said Clark. “And I’m Superman, and he’s Batman. We know who you are, and you may be in danger. All of us may be in danger.”

In a laboratory somewhere in Metropolis, Barry Allen worked feverishly mixing an assortment of chemicals. At the door, there were too guards carrying guns, but the truth was that if he really wanted to leave, he could, and everyone knew it. As Barry continued to work, a man wearing a gas mask approached the guards, and they allowed him to enter the room.

“Finished yet?” he asked.

“No, I’m not finished!” Barry yelled angrily. “I told you. I don’t know how to recreate whatever it was that gave me my powers. It was a freak accident. I was working in the lab late one night, and a lightning bolt came down and knocked a bunch of chemicals that were sitting on my shelf on top of me. I’m not even completely sure what all of the chemicals were.”

“Barry,” the man said as he shook his head in disappointment. “You can’t recreate the formula that gave you the ability of super speed. You don’t know why nobody can get Green Lantern’s ring to work. You really aren’t being very helpful to us. It’s too bad really. Iris was so sure that you’d find a way to save her.”

“I’m doing my best!” Barry yelled as he threw a beaker to the ground in anger, causing it to smash. “I can’t help it if I don’t know how to recreate a formula that was created under circumstances that can’t be duplicated, and I can’t help it that I don’t know how to use alien technology! I’m only human!”

“In that case, we’re done with you,” the man said as he pressed a button, causing some sort of gas to be released in the room.

Barry choked on the gas and tried to run to escape, but his attempt ended in failure. He took a few steps before falling to the ground and passing out.

Back at Carmine’s, Diana, Bruce, and Clark sat at the booth discussing the circumstances of what had happened. They’d just explained everything to her. That Hal Jordan was Green Lantern. That Barry Allen was the Flash. That Barry couldn’t have possibly kidnapped Iris because he had an airtight alibi as the Flash. That someone had stolen Green Lantern’s ring. Their suspicion that someone was targeting superheroes.

“That is a lot to take in,” said Diana.

“I understand,” said Clark. “But if somebody really is targeting superheroes, the three of us are probably next. The only thing we can do to insure our own safety is to work together.”

“That’s right,” said Bruce. “It’s late. I suggest that we all go home and get some sleep. In the morning, we can meet at my headquarters. I’ll even get in touch with Hal Jordan.”

“What good is he if he doesn’t have his ring, though?” asked Diana.

“He’s still a superhero,” explained Bruce. “And seeing as how his ring was stolen, I think he deserves to be a part of our team-up.”

“Agreed,” said Clark.

The next morning, around 5:00 a.m., Clark awoke to a loud pounding on his hotel door. He sat up and x-rayed the door, seeing that the loud noise was being caused by Lois. He jumped out of bed and ran to the door, opening it as quickly as possible so that she wouldn’t wake up the whole hotel and cause them to get kicked out.

“Lois?” he asked, sounding tired.

“Where exactly have you been?” she asked. “Some partner you’ve been on this trip. I get honey and feathers poured on me, and you decide you’re sick and disappear for a whole day! I finally had someone open up your door because I was worried you’d died in here or something, only to find you weren’t even in your room!”

In all of the excitement of meeting Batman and Wonder Woman, he’d actually forgotten he’d disappeared on Lois for a full day. Now, he was faced with explaining why he’d been gone all that time.

“I was at the doctor’s office, if you must know,” he lied.

“Well, why didn’t you tell me,” asked Lois. “You scared me half to death.”

“I’m really sorry, Lois,” said Clark. “I probably should have told you, but I was feeling so bad that I didn’t feel like talking to you when I got back. I went straight to bed.”

“Well, I guess what you did wasn’t that bad,” said Lois, suddenly looking more concerned about Clark. “How are you feeling today?”

“Awful,” Clark lied. “I think I’m going to stay in bed again today. I hate to do this to you, but do you mind investigating without me some more?”

“Of course not,” said Lois. “You go ahead and go back to bed. I’m sorry I disturbed you.”

Later that morning, Clark arrived at Bruce Wayne’s mansion and was greeted by his butler, Alfred. Alfred led Clark to an antique grandfather clock and pushed some sort of hidden button that caused the clock to open up and reveal an entrance.

“The Batcave,” said Alfred. “Go on in, their waiting for you.”

Clark stepped inside the entrance and walked down the stairs. Downstairs, it was a dark cave filled with bats flying around. The cave was filled with high-tech computers, several different models of Batmobiles, and several different designs of Batman costumes. In the center of the Batcave, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern stood, all completely suited up in their costumes.

“Kent, good to see you,” said Wonder Woman. “We have a new development. Barry Allen was found drunk in the streets of Metropolis last night. He’s been transported back to his home town of Central City. Suit up. We’re heading to visit him in jail.”

Lois sat in her hotel room staring down at the keys she’d stolen from Commissioner Gordon, debating whether or not she should use them. Still unsure of what she wanted to do, she stuffed them back into her purse and headed downstairs to get a cup of coffee and a newspaper.

Downstairs, she passed by a rack filled with newspapers. The Gotham Gazette was the most prominently featured, so she picked it up first. On the cover, there was a picture of a spaceship that read ‘Superman’s Spaceship Discovered.’

“Oh no!” Lois exclaimed. “Oh no! They didn’t publish it, did they? Why would they publish something like this?”

She dropped the newspaper and ran out of the hotel as fast as she could. She then got the attention of a cab and told the driver to take her to the Gotham Gazette.

Lois entered the bullpen and approached Vicki’s desk. She was sitting there with a doughnut in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. The newspaper with the picture of Superman’s spaceship was sitting on her desk. When she saw Lois, she stood up and smiled.

“Lois, how nice to see you,” she said. “I hope it didn’t take you too long to get the feathers and honey off of your clothes. Did you happen to see this morning’s edition of the Gotham Gazette? It’s about Superman.”

“Vicki, I’m so sorry,” said Lois.

This took Vicki by surprise. In all her time working with Lois, she’d never apologized for anything she’d done. Vicki’s smile turned to a frown unsure how to take this apology.

“Sorry? For what?” she asked.

“I never thought you’d actually get it published,” said Lois. “I thought you’d get some pictures and look like a fool in front of everyone when you showed them to everyone, but I never wanted you to actually publish fake pictures. This could ruin your career and the reputation of your newspaper!”

“What are you babbling about?” asked Vicki.

“Superman’s spaceship!” Lois replied. “It’s a phony.”

“What?” Vicki replied in shock. “No way. You’re just jealous. You’re trying to pull something because you’re jealous. There’s no way that thing is fake. It looks to real.

“I borrowed it from Lex Luthor,” said Lois. “It was a prop from some old science fiction movie he really liked. Honestly, Vicki, I thought you’d find it, take the pictures and then get laughed at by your editor. I wanted to make you look like a fool in front of your coworkers, not get you to publish pictures of a fake spaceship.”

Vicki finally believed Lois. “You mean you set me up to find a fake spaceship?” she asked. “This could cost me my job!”

“I know!” Lois replied. She looked like she was about to cry. “Wherever that spaceship is, we have to get it back before anybody finds out it’s just a movie prop.”

“It’s being kept in S.T.A.R. Labs to be examined by a team of scientists,” said Vicki.

“Then we have to go to S.T.A.R. Labs and steal it,” said Lois.

Barry was sleeping in his jail cell in Central City when a guard rattled the bars on the door to get his attention. Barry sat up and looked surprised as the guard unlocked the door to his cell.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“You’re leaving with them.” The guard pointed to Diana, Bruce, Clark, and Hal.

“Why?” asked Barry.

“Because, if the I.A.D.C. wants you to release a prisoner with them, you don’t ask questions,” said the guard.

“I.A.D.C.?” asked Barry. “What do you want with me?”

“You are a main suspect in a series of kidnappings my team has been investigating,” Diana said as she lead Barry away in handcuffs.”

“I didn’t kidnap Iris or anybody else,” Barry replied. “You’re making a mistake.”

Diana placed Barry into the back of a car. Hal and Clark sat on each side of him, Bruce sat in the front seat, and Diana sat in the driver’s seat.

“You’ve got to believe me. I’m innocent,” said Barry.

“We believe you,” said Clark. “Now, quiet down for a minute. We have something important to tell you.”

Meanwhile, Lois and Vicki had just made their way to the S.T.A.R. Labs facility where the phony spaceship was being held. It wasn’t difficult to see that security had been increased at the facility since the spaceship had been acquired. The place was filled with security guards.

“I’m Vicki Vale, the one who discovered the spaceship, and this is my assistant.” Lois scowled at being called Vicki’s assistant. “We were hoping to get some more shots of the spaceship for our paper.”

“Can I see some I.D..?” the head guard asked.

Vicki handed him her press pass. He looked at it and replied, “Sure thing, Miss Vale. We were told that we could permit you to see the spaceship, seeing as how you were the one that brought it in to us. Not so sure about her, though.” He pointed at Lois.

“But I need her. She’s my assistant,” Vicki insisted.

“What do you need her for?” asked the guard.

“She needs me for complicated photography things that somebody who isn’t a trained photographer wouldn’t understand,” said Lois.

“Well, I guess it’ll be fine,” the guard replied, though he still seemed somewhat unsure of himself.

Once inside the room containing the spaceship, Vicki began fooling around with her camera pretending like she was preparing to get some pictures. While she was doing that, Lois walked around the spaceship, examining it.

“How are we going to steal it, Vicki?” she asked. “The security in this place would make it difficult enough to get it out, but this alarm will make removing it impossible.”

“We’ll think of something,” replied Vicki. “My career just might depend on it.”

In Metropolis, Superman, Batman Wonder Woman, and the Flash stood outside of an old abandoned warehouse. Barry had explained that after Iris was abducted, he was given a note asking him to come here if he ever wanted to see her again. The people here knew that he was the Flash and had asked him to recreate the conditions under which he gained his abilities as the Flash. Barry had also mentioned that Green Lantern’s ring was being held here.

After dumping Barry off for the police to find him, it seemed like a long shot that the criminals behind all of this would still be there. However, they had nothing else to go on, so the heroes had decided to investigate the place. Superman x-rayed the building and saw that there were people inside.

“They’re still there,” he said.

“Good,” said Green Lantern. “Let’s get back in there and get my ring back.”

He started to walk towards the entrance, but Batman put his hand on his shoulder and said, “Hold on. We need a plan before we go in there.”

“We don’t need a plan,” replied Green Lantern. “We’re the five toughest superheroes around. These goons are going to be shaking in their boots when they see us.”

With that, he kicked the door down and ran inside. The guards immediately started firing at them, and Superman jumped in front of everybody to stop the bullets. Wonder Woman stood next to him and began using her bracelets to deflect the bullets.

As Wonder Woman and Superman took care of the bullets, Flash used his super speed to get past everyone and returned with Green Lantern’s ring. He held it up triumphantly, and Green Lantern grabbed it from him and placed it on his finger.

Green Lantern held up his fist, and a giant hammer came out of his ring. He then proceeded to bring the giant hammer down over the heads of the men shooting at them, causing them to scatter.

What ended up resulting from this was a huge fistfight between the superheroes and the men. Obviously, the heroes very easily took down most of the villains, but when the chaos finally ended and the heroes had seemingly won, Wonder Woman noticed something was missing.

“My golden lasso!” she yelled.

To be continued...