Next Thread
Print Thread
#87649 06/27/12 03:31 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
September 12th, the date of the journal entry, was the date when the Pilot episode first aired. Fortunately for my ficathon challenge, it happened to air during the summer.

All feedback appreciated. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwwwwwwwwww. Pooor Clark! To let such a simple thing as advertisement about kids to beat him over the head about his differences once more. Once again, I'm amazed that you convey so much with so little. clap You must be a wonder at haiku.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Virginia. I've only written one haiku, and I'll let you be the judge of it: Hurricane Clark

That actually became the basis for the shortest L&C story ever challenge. The responses to the challenge were collected and archived here .

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
/sniff, sniff/ Poor little Clark. Reallly good look into his mind herre, despite its brevity. laugh Short and sweet. Well done!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks, Mouserocks.

With the prompt of "summertime blues," I figured the story would have to be rather depressing, but I did try to use the timing of it to provide some hope to the reader, if not to Clark. I'm not sure I am capable of writing a story that holds out no hope whatsoever; I don't even want to try my hand at such a story, at least not in the L&C-verse.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well done Lynn. Short and somewhat sad but with promise.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for taking the time to leave me feedback, Laura and Ken. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bittersweet thoughts for such a kind young man.

Its a good thing he's taking the bus to Metropolis, not Gotham City.

Thank you Lynn for lovely slice of Clark's 'pre-Lois life'.

Happy Summer everyone!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Morgana:
Its a good thing he's taking the bus to Metropolis, not Gotham City.
Oooh... Now there's a scary and depressing thought, and fodder for a crossover. (Not one I have any intention of writing, but it could be interesting to read. Of course, Lois would have to go to Gotham City to interview Bruce Wayne, and if she just happened to run into a certain reporter from a local paper...)

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Now that is an interesting thought! Still such a fic is for someone else and better fit for winter, not summer.

Once again, enjoyed this little story very much! wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
WOW! I applaud your ability to pack so much emotion and depth into such a brief ficlet. clap

What a fantastic idea, to use the idea of back-to-school ads to uncover so much of Clark's pain. Well done!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks, Deadly Chakram; you've made my evening. smile

Using the back-to-school advertisements was a classic case of necessity being the mother of invention. Since the cliche is that *springtime* is when a young man's fancy turns to love, since this was a summer fanfic challenge, and since the pilot aired in September, I had to come up with something that would be the catalyst for Clark's being down in late summer. I think that coming up with the ads was what took me the most time in planning this vignette. (I had a fun walk thinking about such things.)

On a more serious note, I remember how much I hated Father's Day ads for the first several years after my Dad had died; I suspect that that had probably played into my using the ads in the story.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It happens this same time every year. The summer is starting to wind down, the fall is approaching, and my spirits have plummeted. I've been feeling pretty low the past few weeks, ever since the "back to school" advertisements have reminded me of all I may never have.

Thanks to my differences, I have never been able to date a woman for very long before I've had to move on. I wonder whether I'll ever be able to get married and have kids.
Hmm...sounds like Clark. September fits with the Pilot's airing. So... Just before he arrives in Metropolis?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have a good life overall, and I am grateful for it. Of all the people who could have found me as a baby, Mom and Dad were the best. And as a rule, I like my oddities, I really do. They let me make a difference, let me help other people in ways no one else ever could.
Yep, definitely not Alt-Clark.

Well, it is time to move on; perhaps a change of scenery will cheer me up. I had better end this journal entry now, since I'll soon be boarding the bus to Metropolis.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hmm...sounds like Clark. September fits with the Pilot's airing. So... Just before he arrives in Metropolis?
I'm impressed that you figured out the punch line so early on.

/whispers/ In S3's Super Mann, the date is given as May 1993.
Really? Maybe I should bite the bullet and re-watch that episode. (That one is right down there with TJO and CoS in my opinion.) Thanks for that interesting bit of trivia. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm impressed that you figured out the punch line so early on.
Thanks blush I guess, I've just become sensitized on that kind of thing smile

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Now, Lynn, you mentioned this story as being depressing, but I didn't find it that way. Clark is depressed, yes, but we readers know exactly what's about to change. This is the before, but we know the after. laugh

This *is* my happily ever after.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
HappyGirl, you said what I meant better than I said it myself. Thanks. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard