Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
comments? smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Witty, warm and wonderful....It can't keep coming fast enough for me! I love Lois's insights and the fact that she actually "uses" her brilliant mind in your fiction!

Sherry--Still a happy camper

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Kerth
Kerth
Interesting....

I'm curious to see where are you going with the A-plot smile

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Merriwether
Merriwether
/me briefly stops her happy dance of joy to comment on Pam's reponse from part 5:

Fierce!Martha? lol She's all Kathy Brown's fault, tho... I set up the situation, but Kathy's the one who pointed out that Martha would be very protective
Does this mean I need to add another acronyym to my list? Tireless Defender Against Saint ... Martha?? Hee hee.

Now I'll resume my happy dance and read part 6 for the umpteeth time. <g> Have I mentioned lately that I love reading comments in stories I BR almost as much as I do for my own? wink

And something else was missing. It took him a moment to work out that the world had suddenly gone very quiet. Someone had turned down the volume, and eliminated many channels of sound entirely.

It wasn't just the volume that had been turned down, he confirmed. The brightness and contrast were cranked way down, too.

"Things look... different. And I can't hear."
As you well know, Pam, I was blown away by these references. I don't think I've ever seen Clark's loss of powers described in quite these ways before, yet it makes perfect sense. What a horrible feeling it must be to wake up like this. Of *course* this is how it would seem to him, as if he couldn't hear and couldn't see. The show didn't hit this part of things, but it's really powerful stuff and you describe it so nicely.

Great part ... I think you've proven that you are, indeed, unpredictible. <g>

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Pam, great part! clap

I love how you're writing Lois..she is cracking me up. Fanfic really allows for fleshing out the story in any direction and I like how this is developing.

Looking forward to more!
~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL Lois is just too funny<g> Very cute. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Love the dialogue thumbsup
Love Lois thumbsup
Love the Martha/Lois relationship thumbsup
Love Mrs Phipps not getting over Janice's crush thumbsup

All in all thumbsup
gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Absolutely wonderful!! Pam, I think this story is the best you've done since Tryst (not that I didn't enjoy Hearts Divided and Hubris and so on - you know what I mean!).

So many very funny lines, and so many great insights - I echo Kathy's repetition of your description of Clark's awareness of his lack of powers (too many ofs there, but you understand! wink ). So well done. Loved Martha's 'maybe this will help you cool down'. And more particularly, I liked Lois and Clark's fight. Why? Because they're already dating and they haven't known each other long. Of course there are things about each other they don't know. They don't have the long history of friendship behind them - only a couple of weeks ago they were barely speaking. I read the argument and thought 'Yes! This is exactly how it would be!' thumbsup

Loved these lines:

"What? Oh, Mrs. Phipps... well, just in general, of course -- oh, and her daughter Janice was in school about a year or two behind me, so we used to run into her at school events."

"Ah!" Lois looked enlightened. "That explains it, then."

Clark remained unenlightened. "How do you figure?"

"Simple. I'll bet you anything that her daughter had a crush on you, and you never even noticed, and now here you are with another woman."

"Well, maybe," Clark said, not really believing it. Little Janice Phipps, with a crush on him? "But even if she did, she must be over it by now -- she's getting married at Christmas."

"Janice may have moved on," Lois allowed, "but her mother hasn't. And shouldn't we be eating lunch? I'm hungry."
So funny! And so Lois! rotflol

And then there was the "If I get banned from Smallville" line... you crack me up!

Can't wait for more...

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree with everyone else, I love the description of Clark's loss of powers. I can imagine everything would be more "real" with them than without them. It's all great, especially that last line. laugh Next round: Lois v. Maisie! *ding*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Good instalment.

Liked the little argument between and L&C. His reasoning was a tad faulty, but I can understand his wanting to go along. Who wouldn't want to go anywhere with Lois?

Somehow I don't think that, under the circumstances and due to the seriousness of the situation, Clark might not be more amenable to Lois' 'bending the rules' to get back the 'package'. It's not like anyone would actually even be inconvenienced by their taking it.

I think Clark needs a second dose of the green K. His exposure before was fairly minimal and so his powers might come back too soon. You don't actually have to kill him... yet.

Tank (who thinks that if Pam really put her mind to it she could figure out a way for Lois to be able to take the time to get a proper haircut)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My favorite parts have already been mentioned and praised so I’ll just say “ditto” to others’ comments regarding the description of the loss of powers from Clark’s POV, Martha’s intervention, Lois and Clark’s argument, Mr. Phipps and her possessiveness of her daughter’s former crush etc.

I also liked the way you show Clark’s disbelief that Janice had a crush on him – very much in character. wink

As I haven’t commented before I’d like to say at this time that I’m really enjoying the perfect blend of characterization, A-plot, humor and relationship development evident in this story.
notworthy

Can’t wait for more!

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Thanks, Sherry smile Well, I try not to get out of character about it or anything, but I do like a Lois who thinks...

Jose, stay tuned! And for the record, the A-plot, in the best show tradition, is merely there as a prop to support the other, more important stuff.

Kathy and Wendy, thanks very much for the compliments on Clark's reactions... and here I thought I'd been doing a poor second-best to how LabRat handled the same thing in Epiphany! The way she described things in there was a definite influence on me, anyway.

Hey, Liz & Laura -- glad the humor is working for you smile That's one of the things I've always loved about L&C, but sometimes humor can be very hard to write.

lol, Gerry, thanks! I don't think I can claim too much credit for Mrs. Phipps, she just sort of appeared as a device to "tell" rather than "show" goofy And it took me a while to realize where I got the name -- we've got a state official here named Phipps, who's up on corruption charges eek

Wendy, the best story? You flatter me... keep it up! goofy Thanks for letting me know the spat worked for you, too. It just sort of appeared while I was writing, but I decided to go with it, for exactly the reasons you said. These two still have a lot to learn about each other.

Thanks, Karen smile Next round... coming up!

With Jonathan they had more possibility than with Clark.
True, Maria, but I just couldn't imagine Clark *not* wanting to go along. He figures he can always make a quick trip outside if he feels anything, or it looks like they're getting some cooperation. He had no idea Mrs. Phipps would be in a snit wink

Can they expect Trask? Well... the sample was only mailed three-four hours earlier. It's a bit early for Trask to pick up on it... I always assumed he only got on the scent due to a contact at the state lab.

Somehow I don't think that, under the circumstances and due to the seriousness of the situation, Clark might not be more amenable to Lois' 'bending the rules' to get back the 'package'. It's not like anyone would actually even be inconvenienced by their taking it.
Well, Clark wasn't exactly saying *he* would be opposed to bending the rules, just that some people (postal employees, for instance) might be... but then Lois got defensive and it escalated from there.

Thanks for letting me know you're out there, Avia! and that you're enjoying the ride smile

Next part coming right up!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Pam, I see what you mean about not being predictable. I wouldn't have thought of chasing down the Kryptonite package. Of course, I thought the package was long gone. But it's an interesting twist if they actually manage to grab it, keeping Trask from finding out about it. But then, that would be almost like a plot-untwist. It would be far more interesting if they failed to intercept the package, and all the villains around, including Trask, ended up with Kryptonite. We need to keep our favorite couple on their toes, naturally. smile

If it comes to that, we can always buy some airplane tickets."

Clark made a face. "Now *there's* an incentive to get better!"
LOL!

"What if you go to the post office and can't get it back? I think there are federal laws about these sorts of things." His voice edged toward the sarcastic. "I know that wouldn't bother you, Lois, but some people pay attention to laws."
This is true. Once the package is mailed, it's federal property until it reaches its destination. Even Wayne Irig wouldn't have been able to retrieve the package without the employee giving it back being fired. But being a small town, I'm surprised they didn't bring Wayne with them, or at least Jonathan, to try to sweet talk the postal worker into giving it back. Nothing says both Jonathan and Clark couldn't go along.

"Yeah, sometimes they do. It depends on the means, and the end! And don't act like you're all so pure, either, Clark, Mr. I-Lie-To-People-Constantly."

"Oh, come on, Lois -- that's to protect people; I have to do that!"

She smiled at him sweetly and went in for the kill. "Oh, so now you're saying that the ends justify the means?"
Funny argument. And naturally, Lois wins.

"Here you go. I brought some iced tea." She gave each of them a cold glass. "I thought it might help cool you down."

Lois stared at her as she retreated back inside, once more suspicious of Clark's mother's mental health. "Doesn't she know it's October?"
I'm not sure I understand this. I understand the double meaning behind the "cooling down" comment, but don't understand the comment at face value. Plenty of places in the US are still dreadfully hot in October. December, maybe, but October?

"The nerve of that woman! Where's that famous small town friendliness -- hasn't she heard about neighbors helping each other out?"
Clearly, Clark let Lois do the talking. What was he thinking? They're lucky Mrs. Phipps didn't have them thrown in prison. I'm sure Sheriff Rachel would be pretty eager to put handcuffs on both Lois and Clark, though for entirely different reasons. wink

And it's easy for you to talk, she was being nice to you. How do you know her, anyway?"

"What? Oh, Mrs. Phipps... well, just in general, of course -- oh, and her daughter Janice was in school about a year or two behind me, so we used to run into her at school events."

"Ah!" Lois looked enlightened. "That explains it, then."

Clark remained unenlightened. "How do you figure?"

"Simple. I'll bet you anything that her daughter had a crush on you, and you never even noticed, and now here you are with another woman."

"Well, maybe," Clark said, not really believing it. Little Janice Phipps, with a crush on him? "But even if she did, she must be over it by now -- she's getting married at Christmas."

"Janice may have moved on," Lois allowed, "but her mother hasn't. And shouldn't we be eating lunch? I'm hungry."
I must be dense again. If Mrs. Phipps is still holding a grudge against Clark for not going out with her daughter, why was she nice to him? It didn't seem like Lois was being sarcastic.

"Well, let's see," Clark replied, going into tour director mode. "There are a couple of chain restaurants in town -- including the ever-popular Dairy Freeze -- or we could do something more local."
You know, there are some other interesting things you can do behind a Dairy Freeze. Lois did suggest something like that in the pilot. wink

"Well... okay. But if I end up getting banned from Smallville, I'm blaming you."
LOL! thumbsup

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
hi Roger, nice to have you catching up! smile

I wouldn't have thought of chasing down the Kryptonite package. Of course, I thought the package was long gone.
Ah, but Wayne only mailed it a few hours ago, that morning... besides, I just couldn't face another rewrite of GGGoH! smile So I needed something different.

it's an interesting twist if they actually manage to grab it, keeping Trask from finding out about it. But then, that would be almost like a plot-untwist. It would be far more interesting if they failed to intercept the package, and all the villains around, including Trask, ended up with Kryptonite. We need to keep our favorite couple on their toes, naturally.
Naturally! Keep in mind, though, if Trask doesn't get involved in this story, he won't be shot, and will be available to pounce at some point in the future <eg>

Once the package is mailed, it's federal property until it reaches its destination. Even Wayne Irig wouldn't have been able to retrieve the package without the employee giving it back being fired.
Well, I'm not sure it's *that* bad -- it would certainly be bending the rules, but I could see a sympathetic postmistress returning the package... unfortunately for Our Heros, they didn't have a sympathetic postmistress wink

I understand the double meaning behind the "cooling down" comment, but don't understand the comment at face value. Plenty of places in the US are still dreadfully hot in October. December, maybe, but October?
Well, I haven't been to Kansas, but I'm pretty sure it's not one of the places that is still dreadfully hot in October -- besides, earlier in the story I'd established that it's a cool day. And Lois was probably thinking of Metropolis seasons anyway, since that's what she's most familiar with. This story is set only a week or less before the episode GGGoH.

Clearly, Clark let Lois do the talking. What was he thinking? They're lucky Mrs. Phipps didn't have them thrown in prison.
Thrown in prison? I think that'd be a stretch <g> considering all they did was go in and say "Wayne asked us to get this back for him, would you mind pulling it out?" They haven't committed any crimes. Yet <g>

If Mrs. Phipps is still holding a grudge against Clark for not going out with her daughter, why was she nice to him? It didn't seem like Lois was being sarcastic.
I see her as the type who blames "the other woman" for causing poor innocent husbands (or other love interests) to stray, completely against their wills... if only she could get rid of Lois, surely Clark would realize where he belonged, etc.

You know, there are some other interesting things you can do behind a Dairy Freeze. Lois did suggest something like that in the pilot.
LOL! Finally, someone got that joke! laugh Thanks!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard