Print Thread
#87409 06/17/12 12:56 AM
Morgana Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Part Seven

Late Evening – Topaz District

Metropolis’ world famous Topaz District was a cacophony of sights, blaring noise and hurrying people during daylight hours. Ill-tempered bicycle messengers frantically weaved in and out of traffic in the narrow old streets, delivering items from less prestigious jewelry stores in Metropolis. Hotdog, pastry and soda vendors hawked their hot and savory wares to business folk too rushed for a proper meal. Impeccably dressed international gem merchants flew in from every corner of the globe for trade in their ancient business. This particular street, Austen Court, attracted some of the best gemstone cutters in the world. In the Topaz District young men - and a few determined women - were trained in the delicate art of precision diamond cutting. One slip of the hand could render a priceless rough diamond into a worthless piece of crystallized carbon. On any given day loose gems and diamonds worth millions were exchanged, examined and stored.

Lazar’s jewelry store and its rival, CJ Abelhammer’s held the largest collection of loose gemstones in the famed district.

Earlier in the day Clark had approached Mr. Lazar and informed him of the possible danger to himself and his staff. The older gentleman, with his trademark genteel manner, thanked Clark for his timely warning, but he was sure no harm would come to them.

“Young man, if I ran from every threat of theft, Lazar’s jewelers would not exist. Please go ahead with this stakeout of yours. We will continue to conduct business as per usual. Tonight is our monthly inventory, so although the store shall be closed for business at the usual time, we will most definitely be here.” His eyes lit up when he said, “Please give my regards to your lovely fiancée.”

On any typical business day, the Topaz District literally teemed with people moving about from one shop to another. But every evening at five o’clock precisely the doors to the prestigious stores were shut. Then traffic quickly dwindled until the streets were empty and silent. Only a few cars remained parked and before long they would vanish as well.

But currently a certain silver Jeep Grand Cherokee was parked across the street from the jewelry store and Lois and Clark sat in the front seat; they had been on stake out since closing time watching patiently for anything out of the ordinary. The fading aroma of pepperoni pizza hung petulantly in the air. Jimmy had eaten the last cold slice over an hour ago.

After taking a sip of low-fat latte, Lois trained her powerful Zeiss binoculars on the storefront while Clark looked inside via his x-ray vision. Neither could discern anything unusual besides Mr. Lazar and his staff of two younger men moving about the display cases.

“Just another ‘exciting’ stakeout with Lois and Clark. We have been here since five o’clock, and so far nothing more interesting than a delivery of priceless gemstones has happened.” Jimmy spoke in bored tones into his microphone.

“Is this training for writing future articles?” Clark asked. “You have been faithfully keeping electronic notes every hour on the hour.”

“Yeah, were you planning on *writing* this story?” Lois said archly.

“Hey, it’s Wednesday; you two are getting married on *Saturday*. I want Lucy to help me look for a new suit tomorrow after work. I can’t do that if we are sitting here on stake out again. But to answer your question; no not originally, but at the rate this so called heist is taking place, I might have to because you two will be on Honeymoon in Hawaii!”

Clark could not help but smile to himself. The contemplation of a week spent in a tropical paradise with his future wife brought very pleasant thoughts to mind indeed. “Yes, we are really looking forward to Hawaii,” he said dreamily. “Still, I thought you were backing up Jack and Stacy, researchers extraordinaire? According to them - and No Knees Nolan, The Phantom is using a stolen Metrophone vehicle and pretending to be a repairman.”

“Yeah, Jack said Lazar’s jewelry store had a visit from a ‘repairman’ yesterday, so if The Phantom is keeping with his schedule, Lazar’s gets hit tonight.” Lois suddenly went quiet, bit her lip and turned to her fiancé, “Oh Clark, why was Mr. Lazar being so stubborn? Anything can happen! After all, a few years back Metallo robbed his store! It would be awful if he or any of his staff were hurt. He helped you find the perfect engagement ring for me, and our wedding bands.”

“Don’t worry, Lois; nothing will happen. Besides they have plenty of security.” Clark spoke in such a manner as to remind her that Superman could move fast enough to prevent anything from happening to the older gentleman. He squeezed her hand and looked compassionately into her pleading brown eyes, all but forgetting their colleague’s presence.

Jimmy, on the other hand, had no intention of being ignored; noisily he cleared his throat and said in a serious tone, “Uh, Lois, mind if I ask a personal question?”

Lois turned slightly in her seat to look at him and then said reproachfully, “In the middle of a stakeout? Isn’t this the wrong time to be asking personal questions?”

Ignoring her comment, Jimmy shrugged, took a deep breath and said, “No time like the present. Do you think Lucy might be interested in a guy like me?”

Lois scrutinized Jimmy’s face as best she could with only streetlights filtering into the jeep; she had suspected such a question had been looming on the horizon. Ever since his Friday night skating date with Lucy, he had been slightly nervous around Lois. He must have been contemplating this conversation, perhaps earnestly searching for the right moment to broach the subject, one fraught with minefields and traps of all kinds.

Lois, deciding to go easy on him, spoke lightly. “Sure Jimmy, why wouldn’t she be interested in you? After all, didn’t Ultrawoman tell me you were cute?”

He smiled thoughtfully at the comment, rubbed his nose and replied, “That was a really nice compliment from the lady. But without sounding like a jerk, I’ve grown a good deal both personally and professionally since then. My father has led an exciting life as a undercover agent, yet it didn’t leave a lot of time for Mom and me.” Jimmy hesitated and then continued. “What he does is important, yet I don’t want to be the kind of person he is. Its time to sink roots and I’m serious about having a good relationship with the *right* woman… like you and CK have together. So it’s important to know before my heart gets involved, is Lucy thinking along the same lines?”

She thought for a moment. Jimmy deserved a good woman to share his life and if that woman could be her sister he needed to know if his chance was a realistic one. “Lucy has matured since she went to back to school. Her life does not revolve around fun and dating Neanderthals anymore. She’s very serious about having a successful career in sports medicine. Not monetarily, but where it counts, in helping athletes return to their sport after being injured.”

Clark’s quiet rumble was heard through the jeep. “Jim, if you feel strongly about dating Lucy. Then by all means communicate with her your thoughts and intentions honestly. It is the absolute best way to begin *any* relationship. Having secrets or being inconsistent - a jerk - is the best way to end a relationship before it begins.” He looked sidelong at the beautiful woman by his next to him. He was a word class lunkhead for not revealing his secret sooner. He - and Lois –had learned the valuable lesson of honesty and openness in their life together. He dreaded the thought of Jimmy wasting time and making the same blunder.

Jimmy’s eyes were gazed in deep thought as he considered the conversation and his possible future with another woman named Lane. The couple watching him knew that the Jimmy who sat at Cat’s wedding reception six months ago flirting shamelessly with three young women had departed forever. Lois could not imagine having a better brother-in-law, but there would be plenty of time for that later. Meanwhile, they had a thief to catch.

Suddenly, Clark’s head cocked to the side and he began to listen intently. Lois sensed rather than saw in the grayness of the jeep’s interior, his expression of concentration. She was about to say something to cover his imminent departure when a loud, metallic rending sound, cracking the smooth night air, wrenched her ears.

“What was that?” Jimmy whispered.

“If I’m not mistaken, it was the sound of a door being pried off its hinges! I’m going to call for the police.”

“But CK, don’t you have your fancy new cell phone?” Jimmy said.

A momentary silence filled the car, while Clark anxiously tried to figure out an excuse. Even Lois was at a loss for words. Clark groaned internally and decided to call MetroPD. He reached into his suit jacket and pulled out the bulky gray plastic device. He punched in the security code numbers, than 911. A message flashed up informing him he was out of the designated call area.

Snorting in disgust he said, “So much for technology! You two stay here. I’ll find a phone booth and call the local precinct.” So saying, he unlocked the door and bolted out of the car.

His partner called after him in a loud whisper, “Clark! Be careful, you don’t want those guys to see you!”

Jimmy tried to look after his fleeting form, but it was just too dark. “There he goes again! Your fiancé disappears at the drop of a hat! One of these days he’s going to do that when we really need him!”

Lois was grateful her friend could not see her biting on her lower lip. But right now she needed to deflect Jimmy’s attention away from Clark’s disappearance and back to Lazar’s jewelry store.

“Keep down, but be ready with your camera,” she whispered.

“Gotcha. Hey, look over there!” Jimmy said.

The incredulous tone in the photographer’s voice caught her completely off guard. From across the narrow street the spill of the street lamp provided an excellent view of Lazar’s. A strange heavy green mist or gas seemed to coil up malevolently from the floor. They watched in horrified silence as the owner and his two assistants began to shake, cough, and then without opening their mouths collapse. The gas grew thicker, so much so that it quickly obscured their view. Suddenly, without warning, the lights within the store winked out.

“Oh no!” Lois shouted. “We’ve got to help them.” She reached over to open the car door, but Jimmy held her shoulders fast.

“Lois, wait! Remember what CK said!”

Before she could answer, they witnessed two beams of light erratically highlighting the green mist within the darkened store. The harsh sound of shattering glass - probably the display cases - reached their ears. The front door abruptly flew open and some of the eerie looking green mist billowed outside. Lois and Jimmy could hear men’s voices sharply arguing.

A man’s voice squawked, “There ain’t enough here for all the risk! Let’s blow this taco stand before it’s too late!”

“No, my information *cannot* be wrong! Perhaps there are more loose gems in the safe,” a cultured voice responded.

“How are we supposed to open the safe? Old man Lazar is the only one with the combination! Look, we’ve got enough swag from this job! Let’s go. ” His partner snapped back in anger.

“No! Lazar owes me! I could have been the best cutter in the district!”

“Sounds to me like The Phantom and his buddy are having a difference of opinion,” Jimmy snickered quietly as he released Lois.

Suddenly, a well-known sonic boom ripped through the night air, and a brilliant flash of red and blue sped past the jeep and into the store.

Loud shouts of angry protests were heard from within the shop. Despite the hard illumination from the street lamps, neither Lois nor Jimmy could glimpse into the building. Gradually the sounds of struggle stopped, only to be replaced by the reverberation of metal grating against itself.

“Come on, Jimmy!” Lois fairly launched herself out of the jeep, with the photographer only two steps behind. They raced to the open door, barely heeding the gas, when the Man of Steel emerged with two men, each holding their bound hands in front of them.

Lois stood in front of the trio and folded her arms, looking very authorative in her blue suit. “What do we have here, Superman? A couple of jewel thieves?” she said smugly.

Superman responded with his usual disciplined politeness, “Given their familiarity with the layout of the store and what The Phantom said about Mr. Lazar, it sounds to me like they are a couple of disgruntled former employees. Good thing they weren’t carrying guns.”

The older of the two men, perhaps in his late forties, raised his he head and barked, “I don’t believe in guns – OK? Somebody’s bound to get caught in the crosshairs. I use a little sleeping gas, wait for it to take effect, break in the back of the store, grab the loose gems and run. Nobody gets hurt, no fear of eyewitnesses talking. It’s a better, more elegant way to commit a crime.”

Jimmy, in the midst of frantically snapping pictures of the trio, smiled triumphantly, “Hmm… ‘elegant crime’… that oughta make a great quote! It should look nice under these shots – tomorrow’s edition is gonna sing! The headlines should read, ‘THE PHANTOM AND PARTNER NABBED BY SUPERMAN!’”

“The Phantom?” the assailant said, “*Who* came up with a cheesy moniker like The Phantom?”

Lois smiled, “A colleague of ours at The Daily Planet. He is going to be pleased to know you are a ‘gentleman’ thief after all!” she began to yawn, “Maybe I should get away from that gas, it’s making me sleepy.” Turning towards Jimmy she asked, “How are you holding up?”

“I’m a little woozy, but listen, police sirens. CK must have gotten a hold of Henderson.”

While this exchange took place, Superman gently deposited both assailants on the cold concrete sidewalk, flew swiftly inside the store and brought out Nicholas Lazar and his assistants. He checked their pulses to make sure no one was in need of a quick trip to the hospital. Once the examination was completed, the hero approached Lois and Jimmy.

“The fresh air should revive them.” He said. He cocked his head to listen. Now if you will excuse me. I am needed elsewhere.” Without another word, the Man of Steel flew into the night.

“Wow, that was quick,” Jimmy said as he watched the swiftly disappearing figure. “You know, Lois, ever since you and CK got engaged, Superman seems…well, a little standoffish.”

Lois felt her face flush. She was grateful the street lamp’s light was so harsh, otherwise Jimmy might have picked up on it. Before she could reply, she heard familiar footsteps behind her and Clark’s voice say, “What did I miss?”

Before either Jimmy or Lois could answer Clark, they turned as one at the sound of deep coughing - Mr. Lazar was rapidly reviving. All three raced to his side and knelt down beside him.

“Sir, please take it easy,” Clark said soothingly. “You and the others must have been exposed to sleeping gas; it will take awhile for the effects to wear off.”

The old jeweler looked at the younger man incredibly, despite the night’s events, his bright blue eyes held their familiar twinkle. “Right now, the night air has the crisp bite of champagne! It positively tickles my nose.” He breathed slow shallow breaths through his mouth and continued. “Mr. Kent it, appears you were correct this morning. Wh…what happened?”

Clark turned to Lois, his eyes quietly asking her to fill in the old gentleman.

Instead the task fell to Jimmy as he enthusiastically launched into a spirited description of the last five minutes.

By the time Jimmy finished, Mr. Lazar was sufficiently recovered to attempt standing. “Incredible. You say this…Phantom robbed my store? Where is he?”

“Over there,” Jimmy pointed to the criminals still sitting on the curb near the Jeep.

“That’s The Phantom!” he gasped… “Why, it’s none other than my former pupil, Phil Slater and Reese Lloyd, one of my former salesmen!”

“Could Reese have used his insider information to help plan this heist?” Clark asked.

Mr. Lazar snorted. “Reese? He’s so dense he couldn’t find an emerald in a small canister of diamonds!”

“Hey!” the smaller man shouted, “that’s not true!”

“Some part if it must be!” Lois laughed. “Otherwise, you wouldn’t be here!”

Abruptly the night’s quiet was shattered again when Henderson’s police car and a patrol vehicle roared into Austen Court.

The police read The Phantom, aka Phil Slater, and his partner Reese their rights. As they were putting the assailants into the patrol vehicle, Nicholas Lazar related that Slater had had a promising career until his penchant for stealing gemstones was discovered. Reese had been his fence, selling the purloined items on the international black-market. This particular revelation added the final touch to the story. Jimmy was granted not only photo credit, but a contributing byline as well.

“What a great story! Perry will be singing Elvis songs all day!” Lois chuckled. “Even a little thing like Clark and me getting married can’t stop The Hottest Team in Town from breaking a story!”

It was a long time later after giving Henderson a statement, the trio returned to the newsroom and wrote up an account for the morning edition. Jimmy was so excited about the fantastic pix and byline that he wanted to call Lucy immediately and share the good news.
Lois adroitly put a stop to that thought. “Not a good idea, Jimmy. Lucy’s got to be at work-study early in the morning. Why not save the big news until tonight? Tell her over an excellent dinner.”

“Yeah, Jimbo, make sure it’s a quiet place, perfect for serious conversation,” Clark said as he leaned back in his chair.

“This has been a great night! Thanks, CK! Oh, thanks, Lois, for the ‘sisterly’ advice.” He patted Clark on the shoulder and surprised Lois with a quick hug. “You two are the best!” With those happy words he bounded up the ramp and disappeared inside the elevator car.
Lois waited until the elevator doors snapped shut. Then she whirled around and slapped Clark lightly on his shoulder.

“Nobody’s around, so you don’t have to pretend that hurt!” she snapped peevishly.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Sorry. Wrong place to post my FDK.

Sydney

Non ! non, c’est bien plus beau lorsque c’est inutile !
(Edmond Rostand)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard