This is it!

TOC

Part 8:

Late that afternoon, Clark unlocked the door to his apartment, and he, Lois, and Adam opened the door onto a veritable Currier and Ives painting come alive. They began divesting themselves of their coats and bags as they reached the bottom of the entryway stairs.

“You're here!” exclaimed Martha from the kitchen. Wiping her hands on her apron, she bustled over to greet them.

“Hi, Mom,” Clark embraced his mother with a smile. “I can't believe all the work you and Dad did to this place!”

“Don't be silly. It's Christmas!” Martha dismissed him and moved on to hug both Lois and Adam. “Besides, it's Adam's first Christmas with us. We had to do it up right.”

Hearing the commotion, Jonathan emerged from Clark's bedroom. “Merry Christmas!” he greeted them, as he joined his wife in hugging Clark, Lois, and Adam.

“We're glad you could join us, Adam,” Jonathan said, noting Adam's tentativeness.

“You'll get used to all the hugging,” Lois stage whispered to Adam, who gave a small smile in response.

“Mom, sometimes I'd swear you're the one with the superpowers,” Clark looked around in awe. “How in the world did you manage to get all this done so quickly?”

“We got in early this morning, and once we made it to your place, I sent your father off for groceries while I started decorating. Now,” she took Adam by the arm, “I'm going to get Adam settled into your room, Clark, and you can go keep an eye on dinner for me.”

“Coffee, Lois?” Jonathan asked as he, Lois, and Clark moved off toward the kitchen.

In Clark's room, Martha moved from Adam's side to procure clean clothes for him from Clark's dresser. Adam watched her with one eyebrow quirked.

“If I'm not mistaken,” Martha explained, “those are the same clothes you were wearing in India. So put these on, you'll be more comfortable. Then you can rest, and we'll see how you're feeling after a while.” Martha handed a pair of sweats to Adam, but she did not relinquish her hold as he reached for them. Looking him in the eye, she spoke. “We are all glad you're here, Adam, and that you're going to be okay. What happens after you recover is up to you, but you will always have a place in this family.” Finally releasing her hold on the clothes, she reached up and hugged Adam. After a slight hesitation, Adam put an arm around Martha's small frame and hugged her back. Martha drew back, smiling, and patted his arm. “Now go and get changed. I'll come and check on you in a bit.”

That evening, Lois and Clark sat nestled in a corner of the couch, both cradling warm mugs of coffee. The room was bathed in the muted, warm glow of the white lights on the Christmas tree.

“So what are we going to do about the fact that Dr. House knows who you are?” Lois asked quietly.

Clark sat pensively for a moment before replying. Rhythmically, he slowly combed his fingers through Lois's hair. He shrugged slightly. “I'm not really sure there's anything to be done about it. He gave us all of the blood samples that were taken, so it doesn't seem like he's interested in exploiting the information or pursuing his suspicions.”

“I think,” Lois began thoughtfully, “that perhaps Dr. House walks a fine line between crazy and crazy like a fox.”

They lapsed into silence, letting the peace and calm of their surroundings settle over them.

“Who knows?” Clark mused, “Adam or I may need him again someday.”

“Mmmm,” Lois mumbled drowsily, “let's hope not!”

Epilogue:

A whoosh and a thump alerted the occupants of the farmhouse to a super arrival. A moment later, the screen door was opened with its customary squeak.

“Adam!” greeted Martha. “You're late,” she chided him jokingly as she stood up from the table to hug him.

“Sorry. Time is a more fluid concept in India, you know,” he replied with a grin, without a hint of remorse. “Actually, I got caught up telling the kids a story. They're always begging me for a story about my American friends.” He sat at the table and was summarily presented with a large slice of pie and a glass of milk.

“How are things at the orphanage?” Martha inquired.

“Things are going really well, actually. We've been able to add more rooms and more beds as well as furnish the schoolrooms.”

“That is such good news,” Jonathan commented heartily. “We're proud of the work you're doing.”

“It's largely thanks to donations from the Superman Foundation,” Adam replied, intent on redirecting praise.

“Money only provides means, Adam. Compassion drives ability. Without purpose, money is of no consequence,” Martha gently admonished him. “So,” she efficiently changed the subject, “have you decided what you're going to do?”

“Martha,” Jonathan chided. “He'll tell us when he's ready for us to know.”

“Yes, dear, but he's already decided. Haven't you, Adam?” Martha smiled.

“It's okay, Jonathan. If I hadn't figured out in the last three months that Martha could tell what I ate for lunch just by looking at me, then I'd need to learn a lot more than I can by going to college.” Adam grinned and scraped the last bit of pie onto his fork.

“So?” prompted Martha.

“So...I've decided to go to college in the fall. I think I'll spend some time this summer in different cities all over America and pick a community college in one of those cities. I should still be able to keep up with my work with the orphanage, although I might have to cut back a little. And the stipend I get from the Foundation for my work will cover the cost of an apartment.”

“And if you stop by here every week or so, Martha will keep your freezer stocked,” Jonathan winked at his wife.

“Absolutely,” Martha agreed. “So how do you feel about this decision?”

Adam leaned back in his chair as he placed his napkin next to his plate on the table. Pensively, he replied, “Good. I feel good about this decision. I don't really know where I fit in the world yet.” Catching Martha's expression out of the corner of his eye, he waved his hand by way of explanation. “I mean, I don't really know where I fit outside of this farmhouse,” he said with a grin. “And I respect and appreciate Clark and Lois and everything they've done for me. I really do feel like a brother to him.” Adam paused, searching for the right words. “But at the same time, I don't fit in their world. It'd be hard to explain the sudden appearance of Clark's long lost brother who incidentally looks exactly like him.”

A quiet, reflective moment fell over the table. No one could dispute Adam's logic.

“Of course,” he grinned irrepressibly, “what's one more secret among family?”

A chuckle from Martha and a rueful smile from Jonathan was the response.

“I'm learning that there's so much that I don't know. I'm hoping that spending a few years at a community college will give me some background – some knowledge and experiences to draw from. I'm actually looking forward to figuring out what it is that I'm good at and what I love to do. Oh, and,” he addressed Jonathan, “I'd really like to help out around the farm and learn how you run things around here.”

“Well,” said a surprised Jonathan, “of course I'd love to have your help. And,” he joked, “x-ray vision is certainly handy when it comes to diagnosing engine trouble on the tractor.”

“Have you told Clark and Lois yet?” Martha inquired.

“Not yet. Are they still planning on visiting you tomorrow?”

“Barring unforeseen complications, yes,” Martha answered.

“Then if it's okay with you, I'll spend the night here and see them in the morning.”

“You know the way to your room,” smiled Jonathan as he rose from the table. “We can get started on your agriculture education bright and early in the morning.”

Adam rose from the table as well, and reached out to hug Martha and Jonathan in turn. “Good night.”

“Good night, son,” Jonathan said warmly, as he and Martha headed upstairs.

Bent over his desk, Dr. House remained unperturbed at the slight thud following a whoosh that rustled papers around the office.

“Given your entrance, I'm going to assume this visit is not medically related,” he addressed his desk.

“Dr. House.” The statement was intended to gain the attention of the misanthropic doctor.

After a few moments' more study of the work in front of him, Dr. House deigned to acknowledge his visitor. After a few moments' observation, he said, “Adam. You don't seem to be properly attired for that sort of entrance. Especially with that beard.”

Adam stuck his hands in the pockets of his jeans and glanced down at his sneakers. “Yeah,” he admitted, “I'm not sure the spandex and leather fit into my wardrobe at this point.”

“Good!” asserted House. “One perfect being at a time is more than enough for the world. Plus he can be so dull.” He looked around surreptitiously. “I've heard,” he stage whispered, “that he lets some bossy woman run his life. And he's happy about it!”

Adam smothered a threatening grin. “Well, I have no comment about that...”

“Ah, so you've been taking media lessons from your friends,” House interrupted.

“But,” Adam went on, “I just came to say thank you. From all of us. You saved my life...”

“Which is more than I can say for some people,” House muttered darkly, interrupting once again.

“And you've been helpfully deceptive. And though I may regret this, I want you to know I'd like to repay the favor if there's ever anything I can do for you.” At the sudden gleam in the eye of Dr. House, Adam quickly added, “Although I reserve the right of refusal.”

The gleam became an almost-friendly grin. “Very good. You've got an edge on that other guy.”

Adam tilted his head slightly, observing Dr. House. He broke out in a smirk. “I think you secretly like him. But he flies in the face of everything you believe about people, so you can't openly be a Superman fan. Don't worry, Dr. House,” Adam nodded as he slowly lifted from the floor, “you keep my secrets, and I'll keep yours!” With a wink, Adam disappeared from sight.

“Superheroes,” House muttered. “Never let you have the last word.”

Author's Note: This story was for the *cough*2009*cough* Ficathon. Kathryn84's requests were Dr. House, Clone Superman, L&C in a relationship, Christmas. I can only hope that this story met all of those requests in an acceptable, if not timely, fashion. I actually enjoyed writing it, even though it gave me fits. The suggestions and advice of my beta IolantheAlias have been invaluable. Thanks to her help, this story flows better, reads easier, and is more accurate.

Standard disclaimers apply; this story is just for fun.