This story is dedicated to my two wonderful beta readers, Wanda Detroit and Avia Tikotsky,
and my GEs, Tricia Walpole, CC Aiken, and Karen Thompkins. You guys do so much and get so little credit.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
A Helping Hand
By Julie Stars <stars_julie@hotmail.com>
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

"I thought you were working."

Lois jumped in her seat and turned abruptly. "Don't you ever sneak up on me like that again," she said with a hint of amusement in her voice. "I'm done my piece and I thought I'd take an hour off."

Clark turned his attention to her screen. " 'I came out of the club lighthearted that day, but there was also something that told me I'd miss those people. I mean, no matter how drunk or perverted, I've worked with them for years, day after day.' Is this the same book you were writing back when you had amnesia?" Clark asked, raising his eyebrows. "I would have expected you to never, ever want to see this again."

Lois shrugged. "Don't forget I've worked a lot for what I already had written. It was too much to just delete. So I kept it. I haven't touched it since, but today I think I got inspired. Besides, it's not the book's fault."

Clark leaned in closer. "And what happenes now?"

Lois turned back to the screen. "Well, it's ten years later. Wanda quit working at the club to start a normal life- you know, 'Nobody Wants You When You're Down and Out',- so first she gets a temporary job at Costmart, and then she gets a job at the Metropolis Museum of art. That's what I've got so far, anyway."

Clark looked back at the screen. "Lois, I know this is going to bring on some de-ja-vu, but there is no such word as 'chumpy'. And this is not how you spell 'tentative'."

"Clark, you can edit my copy all you want, but stay away from my novel." She reached for his collar to pull him down and kissed him. "Go away now."

Clark put up his hands. "Fine, fine. But when the first rejection slip comes in I want you to know that I'll be there for you." Kissing her again, he stood up and walked away.

"Ha ha." Lois turned back to her screen and changed her phrasing before he noticed she took his advice. She sighed. What would she do without him?

-END-

Okay, it's short, but when it comes to me it's either quantity or quality. Although I don't know about that either. smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)