Clark and Lois The Lost Years Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 3 18/46

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously –

“I can handle it okay. Don’t worry about me. I do want you slightly in front of me though. The trail should be easy enough to follow, but if one of their lead elements were to start catching up with us I want to be between you and them. I could delay them until you can get away.”

Lois, with a very determined look replied “Nothing doing. Okay, I’ll walk in front, but if you think I’m going to abandon you, you had better think again.” She held up her left hand so that he could not help seeing the wedding band that she refused to remove then she brought up her right hand and folded it over her left and pulled her clasped hands in until they were touching her breast. She surprised herself with the emotion in her voice as she finished, “We’re in this together and we’re going to stay together. If one of us gets caught we both get caught then we can escape together.”

Charlie was startled at her strong response and was starting to feel more than a little frustrated. His main objective was to keep her free. He knew that he would be able to get away if he detected the slightest lack of vigilance on their captors part if it came to that. He didn’t want to have to worry about her being injured.

He tried another tack, “How about this, if I get caught and you don’t, you could shadow us and help me get free.”

“Nope, it won’t wash. If we're caught we're caught together then we work at getting us both free.”

With an exasperated sigh he gave in, “Okay, but let’s try to *not* get caught. That is infinitely preferable to escaping afterword.”

Lois, seeing that he was ready to shoulder his pack, moved around in back to help lift it into place. Once this was done she moved around in front of him and gave him a kiss. “Okay handsome, let’s go.” She turned and started retracing her steps back the way they had come the previous night. Because she had turned her back she didn't see the sloppy grin that split his face after that kiss and comment.

When they hit the main trail they could faintly hear the bearers singing so they set off at a rapid pace to get some more distance between them and the cargo train.

And now –

Chapter 18 - Captured
May 22, 1992

After nearly a week on the trail the sounds of the normal jungle chorus had become a comforting familiar background to the day. However, the sounds of the jungle chorus were not as pronounced this morning. As awareness slowly returned and sleep became a thing of the past they looked at each other across the by now oh so familiar tent. Slowly the realization of the cause of the change impinged on their awareness. The jungle sounds were being muted primarily by the sounds of the rain which was falling onto the tent.

Still feeling somewhat self-conscious as she sat up Lois clutched her sleeping bag to her breast. Charlie sat up also and they looked at each other. Each had a somewhat disgusted look on their face. Lois was the first to voice her discontent. “How dare it rain! Things have been just fine until now. We were almost finished with this.”

“I take it you don’t feel like hiking in the rain.”

“You take it right. It’s bad enough lugging that pack around when it’s hot and humid but in the rain! I don’t think so.”

“Okay, it’s just as well. Because of this rain we’ll have to let them pass us. If we didn’t then we’d be leaving prints on the trail and they would know we were there. Hungry?”

“Yeah, but make it something that we don’t have to go outside to prepare or eat.”

Charlie rummaged around in his pack and came up with some granola bars. “Honey nut or chocolate almond? As if I really need to ask.” He was laughing as he was saying this and he extended the chocolate almond bar out for her to grab. Which she did smiling her thanks as she did so.

“You know me pretty well, don’t you?”

“I’m learning all the time.”

They munched on their granola bars for a couple of minutes in silence then Lois asked a question “Charlie, do you like me?”

Somewhat taken aback by this question Charlie answered “Lois, you don’t know how much.”

With a raised eyebrow and her wicked little grin evident she asked “Are you attracted to me sexually?”

Embarrassed now he stammered, “Well, yeah, uh, yes, uh, yes, yes I am. Wh … why do you ask?”

“I thought you were. Why are you embarrassed about it? Why do you try to hide it from me?”

Still more than a little bit embarrassed he responded, “I, uh, well, ah, it,” He cleared his throat and started again, “uh it would have ah added a ah an unnecessary level uh level of complexity to, to our relationship uh right now. We are here on a job and … and we need to see it finished.”

Enjoying his embarrassment more than a little bit she continued, “I know we’re here on a job and we’re nearly finished with it, so, why don’t you tell me how you feel?”

A look of resolution came over his face as he said, “Lois, I’d like to, but there are some things that need to be worked out first.” <Like are you going to live or die. I’m here to make sure you live, but what if I fail? If she is going to die is it fair to her to let her know how I feel? But, if she is going to die is it fair to her to *not* let her know how I feel? I don’t know which would be the right thing to do!> “Right now we both need to have clear heads without the confusion of wondering exactly where we are going in this relationship. I’ll say that I’m looking for permanence and that I hope you are too.”

“Charlie, I’ve known for some time that you’re attracted to me sexually. You haven’t been able to hide it even though you’ve tried. A long time ago I made a decision that I wasn’t going to let myself get involved in any kind of relationship again because I had been hurt so much in the past. So for the longest time my job has been my life. I’ve been hurt too many times and I just wasn’t going to let it happen again.“ This last was said with a small almost inaudible sob.

She continued, with a little catch in her throat and a hint of unshed tears. “Since we’ve been together I’ve started thinking that I made a mistake. When I made that decision, it was the safe choice. Stay safe, don’t get involved and don’t put your heart out there for it to be trampled on again. But, can anyone really live that way?” Her voice started to pick up some animation and the pain faded into the background. “In the last couple of months, with you, I’ve had a glimpse of what it could be like. This time with you has opened my eyes to what life could be like with the right person. My job doesn’t have to *be* my life it can be just a *part* of it. Being with you, working with you, we’ve shared the responsibilities, shared ideas and shared the non-work, personal time. I now see that that was what was really missing in my life. I wasn’t really living, I was barely existing. What I was missing was someone to share the personal time with. We are on the job, sure, but we’ve been working *together*, as a *team* not just as *two individuals* and I’ve been seeing just what I’ve been missing all these years by working alone. Where have you been all my life? If I had had you around so many things would have been different. Because I’m the best I have the respect of other reporters but I’m starting to see that that isn’t enough. I have plenty of people that respect me, but no one to love me. I have their respect but after work I go home to an empty apartment. I order take out, work some more and go to bed, alone. The next day the cycle repeats itself. That’s not life … its existence and a poor one at that. I don’t have anyone to share with when things aren’t going right or to celebrate with for the little victories.”

“Lois, we’re together in this and I hope that we can stay together but we need to get through the rest of this before we can be sure. If I didn’t know just how much this investigation meant to you, I’d suggest that we pack up and just head back right now and say ‘to hell with it’. That would be the safe way. That would be the sure way. There are still some unknowns, too many unknowns. We could die tomorrow no matter how much I try to prevent it. History seems reluctant to change sometimes. But I would be willing to cheat history or fate if you want to call it that if it meant that you would be safe and we could be together, but, could you live with that?”

With a quizzical expression she asked, “History? Fate? What do history and fate have to do with it?”

“Your history, my history, our history - somewhere it’s already been written. Good, bad or indifferent it’s there. I can only hope that it isn’t cast in stone. I pray that it isn’t because if it is I don’t know if I’ll be able to go on.”

“Charlie, you’re scaring me.” She pushed back the top cover of the sleeping bag to reveal that all she had on was her bra and panties. She got up from her bag and moved over to Charlie’s bag. He raised the flap so that she could join him inside and she lay down next to him. “Hold me Charlie. I just want you to hold me for a while. I’m not suggesting anything else. Some of the things you have been saying have left me feeling unsure of how things will turn out and I need you to hold me.”

As Charlie wrapped her up in his arms she snuggled up to him. “Charlie, why do I feel so comfortable with you? We’ve only known each other for a couple of months but I feel like I’ve known you forever. When I’m in your arms like this I feel safe and secure and protected and content and … I feel like I don’t ever want you to let me go!”

He started stroking her hair and pushed an errant strand back behind her ear. “Lois, I don’t want to let you go and when we get past this you’ll find out just how much. If we make it through this I’ll explain everything, I promise.”

They drifted into silence, each occupied with their own thoughts.

The warmth of their bodies inside his sleeping bag, the comfort of the closeness and the sound of the rain on the tent had a soporific effect and Lois fell asleep in Charlie’s arms. A contented smile graced his features as he watched her sleep. She had been on her side as they had been talking and had rolled over on her back with her head pillowed on his right forearm when she fell asleep. He half rolled so that he could look more directly at her while she slept. <Is it right to not tell her how I feel? How much harm could that do? What if something does happen and I never told her? Could I forgive myself? I have to tell her.> In a half whisper, so as not to disturb her slumber he answered all of her questions. “Actually Lois I more than like you, I love you with *all* my heart and I long to tell you that. It may not be the right thing to do because I want both of us at our peak so I probably shouldn’t tell you, just yet. Am I attracted to you sexually, you bet. I yearn to be with you and in you but, that too must wait. I would like nothing better than to cheat fate and just say to hell with this investigation and take you out of here but that would diminish you in so many ways. If I did that it wouldn’t allow you to be who and what you are and you would hate me for it. I’ve got to see this through with you and do my best to protect you.”

Lois shifted position again. When she finally settled she was lying on her left side. Her right arm was across his chest and her head was pillowed now on his right shoulder. Her right breast was pressing into his ribcage and her right leg was across his thigh with her foot in between his legs. Looking over at her he saw that her hair had fallen across her face so he gently reached over and brushed her hair back, tucking that ever errant strand behind her right ear and let his hand linger, caressing the side of her face. As he did she started mumbling in her sleep but the only coherent word he could make out was “Charlie”.

“Lois, my love, my life, I promise you, whatever it takes I’m going to do. If it means compromising my secret, then so be it. My secret is nothing compared to your safety.”

After a while Lois awoke. When she did she was staring into Charlie’s dark brown eyes from a distance of about six inches. She said “Hi.”

“Hi, yourself! Lois, I’ve been having an argument with myself and I think I’ve come to a decision. Lois, there’s something I need to tell you.”

“Charlie, if you feel it’s best not to, then don’t.”

“No, I have to be honest with you. Lois, I love you. I’ve loved you from the first moment we met. I should have told you earlier, but, I was afraid of what your response would be. I’m not asking for some declaration from you, I just needed you to know that.”

“Charlie, I thought that was how you felt. You didn’t need to hide it from me. It does explain a few things though.”

“You may not feel the same way and I would understand if you didn’t, but, I had to tell you that.

“Charlie, I’m not sure yet in my own mind exactly where I am. I’m kind of confused right now but, I’ll sort it out before long.” She raised herself up and gave him a kiss.

By the time they finished the rain had stopped and they decided to pack up and move out on the trail of the weapons.

After rolling up their sleeping bags Charlie took down the tent. They repacked everything and grabbed some more granola bars to eat while they hiked. Retracing their steps back to the main trail they headed out. Charlie knew that they were getting near their destination and mentioned that fact to Lois.

Unknown to Charlie and Lois a squad of rebels had been detached from the security detail to form a hunting party. The convoy was nearing their destination and they had been detailed to bring in some fresh meat for the camp.

Charlie and Lois were still following the trail left by the bearers making sure that they were almost out of earshot behind them. This time Charlie was in the lead since that was where the greatest danger lay. They could barely hear the bearers as they sang while carrying their loads.

They were in deep jungle by this time, and it was hard to keep on track. As a result, even with his enhanced senses they were surprised by the squad that had been dispatched as a hunting party. The hunters were returning to the trail after having been in the jungle hunting monkeys.

When they jumped out at them Charlie shouted “Linda, run! I’ll hold them off.”

Lois quickly saw that that flight would be useless since they were completely surrounded. “No good, we’re going to have to fight!”

With a quick move she shed her pack and took up a defensive stance. Arms up with double sword hands prepared to strike. The rebel nearest her had his rifle slung over his shoulder. Seeing that it was just a woman in front of him he reached for her.

That was his undoing. As he reached for her she grabbed his right wrist with her right hand and stepped back with her right foot and pulled, forcing him off balance. As he started to fall past her she shifted direction and brought her right knee up into his solar plexus. With a whoosh all of the air was expelled from his lungs and he fell unconscious, the sharp blow causing his heart to skip a few beats. With this adversary down she immediately recovered to a ready stance.

Quickly shedding his pack Charlie also took up a defensive posture. He had seen that it wasn’t going to be any use to try to run even as he had shouted to Lois to do just that. He was hampered by the fact that he couldn’t overtly utilize his powers and there were too many of the rebels. He did use some of the martial arts moves that he had learned from the Viet Nam vet and more recently, Lois.

He had really appreciated that time with Vince, the vet. He had been just coming into his powers and learning the martial arts had taught him a measure of control he didn’t think he would have had otherwise. He was able to ‘pull’ his punches so that they looked like those of a ‘normal’ man. He was holding his own and constantly checking on Lois. He was impressed that she was holding her own as well.

For Lois the next attack was not long in coming. Another rebel seeing what she had done to his friend came in but was somewhat more wary. He pulled a machete from its scabbard at his belt and used this to threaten her. When she didn’t appear to back down he came at her. Lifting the blade above his head he prepared for a downward stroke. If it connected it would cleave her skull in two all the way to the breastbone. As he was coming at her she shifted her stance. She stepped into his movement and under the arc of his arms and assuming a strong stance, she prepared to take the blow. At the last instant before contact she crossed her arms at the forearms forming a ‘V’.

When the blow came she took the impact at the ‘V’ of her crossed arms and since she had stepped in under the arc of the blow it was his forearm and not the blade that made the contact. At contact her hands spun around and grabbed his wrist and forearm. She stepped back with her left foot shifting her balance to that foot and bringing her right leg up and parallel to the ground with her right foot cocked back. When he reached the correct position she released the round kick. KKKIIIEEAAAAaaaaHH.

The impact felt like the ball of her foot had hit a brick wall but not even a brick and mortar wall could have long stood up to that kind of punishment and his sternum was not brick and mortar. His sternum was shattered and bone fragments were driven deep into his body, several of them piercing his heart. He was dead before he hit the ground. Lois returned to ready looking to see who was going to try her next.

Clark didn’t like it when he saw her kill one of her attackers, but saw that it was done in self-defense so he felt a little better about it. He had watched her movements and knew that she wasn’t going to be struck by the blade and that she was going to be able to defeat her attacker. If she was put into real danger he would have done whatever he needed to do to prevent her coming to real harm. As it stood they were in danger of being captured but not mortal danger, that one thug excluded.

He was occupied by two assailants and didn’t see it when Lois was herself confronted by a pair one of which clipped her over the head with his rifle butt. She went down stunned.

Another of their assailants, apparently the one in command stepped over her and grabbing a handful of her hair dragged her up in front of himself. The pain brought Lois back to consciousness and she let out a moan of pain and confusion.

Holding a handgun to her temple the squad leader shouted to Charlie, “Stop now or I kill her!” He was speaking a Bantu dialect which Charlie understood, but even if he hadn’t what he saw made it perfectly clear what his meaning was.

Charlie froze. He didn’t know what else he could do without revealing what he was. He realized that even at superspeed with the muzzle of the gun pressed against her temple he couldn’t stop the bullet from killing her. If he stopped she wouldn’t be in immediate danger so he stopped and put his hands up. When he did the thug behind him hit him in the back of the head with his rifle butt. Charlie heard the thug grunt with the effort and when the blow fell he rolled with the punch so that the gun butt wouldn’t shatter and fell to the ground pretending to be stunned.

The leader pushed Lois away from him and released her hair as he did so. She fell limply to the ground and the leader shouted “Tie them both up!” Their arms were promptly tied behind their backs and then they were pulled into a kneeling position side by side.

They watched as the rebels rifled their backpacks and anything that they thought was of value they stuffed into their pockets and the rest was cast aside. The camera was well hidden so it was not found. The roll of film with the pictures already taken had been given to Derek Price for safe keeping before they left port. Only Derek, Linda and Charlie knew it even existed.

The squad leader started to question them. He was speaking in a Bantu dialect. Charlie understood and Lois knew that he understood since he had conversed fluently with the marina owner, but he pretended not to and she went along with the deception. The squad leader saw that he wasn’t getting anywhere because of the language barrier. He knew that one of the officers still with the cargo train was semi-fluent in English so the he sent a runner for him so that he could do the questioning.

When he arrived they were still kneeling side by side with several of the rebels covering them with their rifles.

The officer walked up and positioned himself in front of them and then demanded in English. “Who are you and what are you doeeng here followeeng our cargo train?”

Charlie replied “We were with a safari group but we got separated from it and we are lost.”

The questioner, Drago, with a look of disdain clearly evident on his face said “Such a fleemsy lie. There are no safari groups anywhere near thees area. You will tell me the truth or else.”

With curiosity evident on his face Drago started looking more closely at them. As he looked closely at Lois a look of dawning recognition slowly came over his face.

“*You* are the woman *from the boat*! I almost deedn’t recognize you weeth your clothes on,” Turning to Charlie he said “and your playmate. The *two* of you have beeen *following us* seence we left *Brazzaville*! *Why* do you follow us?”

“We’ve done nothing to you. Why don’t you let us go?” Lois asked wearily

“You keeled one of my men!”

“It was self-defense; he attacked me with a machete.”

“He ees steell dead and I should keel you for eet.” He said as he fingered and then started to grip his sidearm preparatory to pulling it from its holster.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 19 – Linda in Danger

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:47 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj