Previously On Contractually Bound:

Her voice quavered the slightest bit as she spoke. Her heart was thudding faster than she had ever thought possible. It had been, ever since she had thrown a glance back at Kal, seen him struggling, and made the split-second decision to run back to his aid, before Ching or any of the others noticed her absence. Now, however, her concern lay solely with her husband.

"Kal?" she called to him. "Kal? Come on, answer me. Please, answer me."

He did not answer, did not stir. Lois fought down the bubble of panic that rose within her. She chanced a glance at his unmoving body, and was relieved to see that his chest still rose and fell with breath, labored though it seemed. Her eyes flickered back to Nor.

"Come now," Lux said, his voice as smooth as the finest silk. "You don't really think that you have the guts to pull that trigger, do you? Do you really think I believe it?"

Lux took another measured step forward. Lois met his eyes, her own blazing.

"Care to test that theory?" she said, her voice as cold as the ice and snow beyond the walls of the mansion.

Lux's hands went up in a gesture of pacification. But he also stopped moving, much to Lois' relief. She tried to tell herself that she really would kill Nor if she had to, but wasn't so sure Lux was incorrect in his assessment. She wasn't made of strong enough stuff to take a life, was she?

"I'm sure we can talk this out," Lux said. His voice was still soft and steady in an attempt to appease her.

"I'm sure that we can't," she shot back.

On the floor in front of her, Nor groaned and began to stir. His eyes flickered open and his hand automatically flew up to touch the tender spot on the back of his head. Lois redoubled her grip on the gun.

"Don't move," she hissed. "Not unless you want to die today."

Nor twisted his head ever so slightly to look at her. He stopped cold when he saw his weapon in her hands and the hardened look on her face. But his eyes were calculating. Lois could see that much at least. She wished Kal would wake up. She needed his help. She felt certain he would know what to do. But he still wasn't moving at all, his breathing the only outward sign that he was still among the living.

Footsteps sounded behind her. Lois' heart seized up with dread. This was it. She was about to die, along with Kal. She hadn't even had the chance to tell him one last time that she loved him. She hadn't been allowed one final kiss, one she would have committed to memory in every single way. She hadn't been afforded a farewell. She hadn't gotten to make love to him one last time. She'd never had the chance to start a family with him. She would never know what it would be like to grow old with him.

All of these regrets seared through her mind in a flash. And yet, she was grateful for all the time she had been given with Kal. She was thankful for the love she'd found with him. She was happy she'd given him a second chance. She was thankful for the way he'd accepted her, as she was, and for all the encouragement he'd given her to be herself.

An involuntary shudder ran up her spine as she listened to the pounding footsteps behind her. But she did not pull her gaze away, did not close her eyes as she awaited the inevitable. She merely moved her vision from Nor's face to Kal's. If she was to die, she would do so looking at the man who held her heart; her husband and her best friend.

"I love you, Kal," she whispered.

"Nobody move!"

Lois' knees nearly gave way beneath her as she recognized the voice. Bilan Hend'son. She'd only met him a few brief times, but she would know that voice anywhere. Her heart leapt in her throat. They were saved, if indeed it was not too late for her husband.

Awakening

Kal felt himself slogging through a wasteland of darkness that tried to hold him back, as if he were stuck in some thick, invisible sap that weighed down every movement he attempted to make. He was amazed as he completed each step, and simultaneously wondered if he'd have the strength to take another. Yet step after step, he moved forward, seeing nothing, hearing nothing, that gave him the slightest impression of where he was. In fact, the monotony was so intense, so completely uniform that after a while, he began to wonder if he was actually moving at all, or if he was somehow stuck in place, like some unseen treadmill.

Sometimes, he thought he could hear voices in the dark, both male and female alike, but they echoed terribly, like souls shrieking in torment. He thought that he could recognize them, but always, as soon as he got close to remembering where he'd heard them before, the memory would slip away faster than sand through his spread fingers. It frustrated the prince, possibly more than the heaviness that had settled into his limbs, and which threatened to stop him in his tracks. Somehow, he knew that he couldn't stop. To stop was to admit defeat. To stop was to die.

And he desperately didn't want to die.

After a while, some of the syrupy thickness in the air seemed to let up. His movements came easier, and he allowed himself a chance to take a deep breath of relief. But he felt so tired from the long battle he'd fought to get to that point. And yet, he could not stop, could not allow death to catch up to him.

For a long time, he wandered in the dark, still lost, still trying to find his way home. He pressed on, searching for any sign of a way out, silently pleading for some shred of evidence that his loved ones were safe. He wasn't sure how long he waded through the darkness. Hours? Days? Weeks? He couldn't be sure. Time had no hold in that place. He was aware that time had to have been passing by, but it seemed almost unimportant somehow.

Eventually, he felt his entire body grow lighter, and his feet seemed to lift right off the ground, though there was no way of knowing for sure. No ground could be seen, just as there was no sky, no roof, no indication of what lay above. He felt as though he were floating, up, up, and away to whatever was above him. Kal had one fleeting moment of panic, and he fought the impulse to yell out. But he did not fight the sensation as his body rose. Instead, he found that the higher he rose, the more at peace he felt. He felt relieved too, as if his body were floating to the surface after spending too much time underwater. Up and up he went, faster and faster until at last he felt that surely he could not go any higher. He felt himself break through some invisible barrier, felt it as surely as he would have felt himself coming to the surface in the palace pools during a swim.

Slowly, Kal opened his eyes. He had to blink several times to dispel the haze that lingered before his field of vision, obscuring everything. He found himself looking straight up at a plain white ceiling that seemed oddly familiar, despite the fact that it could have been anywhere. For several long minutes, he merely studied the blank canvas before his eyes, trying to get his bearings. The last thing he remembered was Lord Nor's ugly face scowling down at him as he repeatedly smashed Kal's head into the cold marble floor of Lux Manor. Another surge of panic bubbled in his chest and seized his heart, but after a few calming breaths, he came to realize that that wasn't where he was now. Gradually, he became aware of the feather softness beneath him; a warm, comfortable bed. The faint trace of laundry detergent still clung to the sheets gently draped over his body. He took comfort in that knowledge. It meant he wasn't in immediate danger of being killed, or dying some horrible, painful death.

Kal slowly moved his head to his right, trying to decipher where on Krypton he was. He was greeted with a tightly balled mass of purring orange fur. Kal smiled. Fasa. Which meant that he had to be home, in his own chambers. A wave of relief washed over his body, loosening some of the tension that had been steadily building back up within him.

Beyond the sleeping cat, Kal could see the large windows in the chamber. It was the dead of night, that he could see at first glance. It had been dark when he and Ruce had implemented their prison break plan. But as Kal continued to look, he noticed that something was off. The night didn't look quite right to him. The moons were the wrong shapes. And the stars were in the wrong positions. There was no way this was the same night.

Gingerly, Kal moved his head to the left. Pressure was building in his skull, making it feel as if it were stuffed full of cotton, and there was a deep, dull ache that seemed to emanate from the very center of his brain. His head felt enormous, as big as the very palace he lived in. He shut his eyes against the sensation, even as he lolled his head to the side. After a moment, he opened his eyes again. His heart caught in his throat.

Lois.

His wife was sitting in a chair that was pushed up against the bed. She was slumped forward, her upper torso sprawled across the thick emerald green comforter. Her arms were crossed beneath her head and her face was turned towards him. A lock of dark brown hair spilled over her face, obscuring one closed eye. She was breathing evenly, fully immersed in the realm of sleep, her lips slightly parted. But even in sleep, there were lines of worry creasing her face, though Kal thought he'd never seen so beautiful a sight in all his life.

A huge smile curved Kal's lips and the last bit of fear his heart had been harboring vanished instantaneously. Lois was safe. She was home, with him. And she did not appear to be injured in any way. Gently, Kal moved his arm, noticing for the first time the various intravenous lines and wires that ran into the back of his left hand and his inner elbow, with one running down to his finger to a device that was monitoring his heart rate. He chose to ignore the tangle of plastic that was attached to him for the time being. He needed to touch his wife, needed it as much as he needed air to breathe.

Slowly, delicately, he raised his hand, keeping it only an inch or two above the bed sheets, and reached out to her. At last, he attained his goal. His hand brushed her soft cheek, felt the warmth of her perfect skin. At his touch, Lois stirred sleepily. Her eyes fluttered open even as her brow crinkled in confusion over what had awoken her. As her eyes focused, her gaze unerringly found his and a smile erupted over her face.

"Kal!" she breathed, her voice barely above a whisper as the fear and tension melted out of her features. "Thank Rao! I was so afraid I was going to lose you."

"It'll take more than a fight with Nor to get rid of me," he said, smiling at her.

"I'm so glad you're awake," Lois said, as if repeating the words would somehow convey just how relieved she was.

"Me too," Kal said. "What happened? Are you all right? The others...?"

"Everyone's fine," she assured him. "I'm fine."

She was on her feet in the next second, moving ever closer to him. Carefully, she threaded her arms around his chest and pressed her lips to his. Over and over they kissed, unable to get enough of each other. Fear and sadness died in those kisses, resurrecting hope and happiness in their wake. Kal gently enveloped Lois in his own arms, holding her as closely and securely as possible. He never wanted to have to let go again, never wanted to stop kissing the woman who was his soul mate.

"I love you," he murmured, over and over, against her lips and between kisses. "I love you."

At last, however, she pulled away from him, needing a breath. Kal groaned at the loss of her lips on his. Lois cupped his cheek in her hand for a minute, studying his features as if in disbelief that he was awake. Then she smiled again, slipped her hand away from his flesh, and hurried across the room to the doorway.

"Hey!" she called, sticking her head out into the hallway. "Everyone! He's awake! He's awake!"

Kal winced against the volume of Lois' cry. He'd had headaches before, but none quite like this. He wondered how badly he'd been injured in the fight with Nor. At the very least, his right hand was wrapped in a soft cast, and his chest ached with every breath he drew. But his thoughts scattered as, one after another, as his family entered the room. Jor-El, Ching, Zara, Jai, even Samm Lyne. They all filed into his room, each of them looking as though the weight of the world had just been lifted from their shoulders.

"Kal!" Jor-El cried, rushing over to engulf his son in a relieved embrace. "Oh, Kal. I was so worried about you."

"I'm okay," Kal said, trying to reassure him. "I'm fine."

Jor-El did not immediately pull away at Kal's words. Instead, he continued to hold his son to him. Kal could feel the man's entire body trembling, could hear the hitch in his breathing as he sought to master his emotions. He patted his father's back with his good hand, trying to dispel the last of the Supreme Lord's worries. For a long time, Jor-El merely held him, not saying anything, until at last, he pulled away, allowing the others to hug Kal as well. Kal could see that his father's eyes were wet with unshed tears.

"Zara," Kal said, as the woman bent to hug him. "Are you feeling well?"

"I'm fine," she said, though Kal could see the flicker of sadness in her eyes at the thought of the child she had so recently lost. "The important question is, how are you feeling?"

Kal tried to shrug, and winced a little as pain shot through his body. "Sore," he admitted. "And like my head is splitting in two."

"Here," Samm said, offering him a small white pill. "Take this. It should help some."

Kal took the proffered tablet and swallowed it down with a gulp of cold water from a glass that Ching handed him. The iciness of the water stung his parched throat, but the pain was more than welcome. He drained the glass with five large gulps, then handed it back to Ching, giving him a grateful smile.

"How long was I out?" he finally ventured to ask, thinking back to the odd placement of the stars beyond his windows.

"Four days," Samm said, gently breaking the news to him.

"Four..." Kal closed his eyes and let his voice trail off. He knew that if he'd been unconscious for so long, his wounds must have been grievous indeed. He opened his eyes again. "What happened?"

"Your skull is fractured," Jor-El said, sitting down in the chair Lois had been sound asleep in. He looked weary enough to fall down where he'd been standing. "And some of the ligaments in your knee were torn."

"You also managed to fracture some of the bones in your hand," Samm said.

"Something about slugging Nor so hard that you broke his jaw," Jai grinned. "Nice work on that, by the way."

"Uh, thanks. I think."

"And you have three broken ribs," Samm said, shaking his head at Jai's obvious delight in the blow Kal had landed against Nor. "You are one injured young man."

"We were so worried when you didn't wake up," Ching said, and Kal swiveled his eyes to look at his brother. "We thought we might lose you."

"The injuries to your head are very severe," Samm continued in a grave voice. "It took us quite a while to stabilize you enough to get you out of Lux Manor. All the scans I did couldn't tell us much, in terms of whether your brain had suffered any injuries itself. I looked for the obvious signs, and didn't see any, but sometimes the scans don't show us everything. And the longer you slept, the more worried we became. It looked more and more like you were going to slip away from us."

"I'm sorry I put you all through that," Kal said, his voice sinking to an embarrassed whisper while his cheeks reddened. "I never meant to scare you like that."

"We're just happy that you're okay," Jai said, patting him on the foot. It was the closest body part within his reach.

"And I'm just happy that you guys made it out of there safely. What happened? I don't remember anything beyond fighting Nor."

Kal struggled to sit up a bit, despite the slight incline of his body as the pillows propped him up. But his strength hadn't yet fully returned, and his limbs turned to liquid as he tried to push himself up. His broken ribs protested the movement as well. Samm put a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"Easy," he told the prince. "Try not to move too much. You need to rest up and heal."

"Okay," Kal relented, trusting the man. After all, he was a well-respected doctor.

"Well," Ching said, clearing his throat. "Jai, Ruce, Zara and I all did what you told us to do. We made a beeline for the doors. I didn't want to leave you behind, Kal, believe me. I'll regret that for as long as I live."

"I told you to go," Kal said, placing the blame for his condition squarely on his own shoulders, where he felt it belonged. "I needed you to get everyone to safety. I thought I could handle Nor on my own."

Ching nodded. "I knew you were right. I knew Ruce needed my help in clearing the way for Jai, Zara, and Lois to get out of there. I had planned on making sure the coast was clear, then coming back for you. But someone must have raised the alarm, or maybe it was because Bil's men had been captured. I'm not sure which. The grounds were swarming with guards. Ruce and I wound up having to seek cover while we traded gunfire with Uthor's men."

Kal slightly paled. "Are you...were you hurt?"

Ching shook his head. "We're fine. Ruce took a bullet in his shoulder, but he's fine. He's been calling here about every two hours to check on you."

Kal groaned. He couldn't believe he'd gotten his friend hurt. "You're sure he's okay?"

"Absolutely. Dr. K'lin has been tending to his wound, and Ruce says that Alph is practically hovering over him. It's driving him crazy, of course. But he's fine."

"That's good," Kal sighed, giving the tiniest of nods. His head didn't feel like it could handle any greater movement. "I should call him...let him know..."

"Later," Samm said. "It's the middle of the night. And you shouldn't be exerting yourself in any way."

"But, it's not..." Kal began to protest.

"Anyway," Ching continued, clearing his throat and effectively cutting Kal off, much to the obvious relief of Samm. "Ruce called for backup at that point, knowing that Bil's men were waiting for our own spies to call them in. In no time, our men had overwhelmed Uthor's guards. As soon as we could, we went back for you, but Nor had already knocked you completely out. You're only here right now because of your wife."

"Lois?" Kal asked, wonderingly. "What do you mean?"

Lois blushed a deep crimson. "He's exaggerating."

Ching shook his head. "I'm not," he told Kal.

"It really wasn't that big of a deal," she protested.

"Are you kidding?" Zara asked, beaming proudly at her surrogate sister.

"Your wife slipped away from us during the frenzy," Jai explained. "She took advantage of the fact that we were preoccupied with sneaking out of the place. We didn't notice she was gone until we ducked for cover during the gunfight."

"I couldn't just leave you to fight Nor all on your own," Lois said, her words spilling out in a rush.

Kal arched his eyebrow at her. "What did you do?" His voice held only curiosity, mixed with a pinch of amusement, but no real surprise. He didn't think Lois could do anything to surprise him anymore.

"I went back for you," she admitted. "I knocked Nor out before he could kill you."

"She did more than that!" Jai proudly crowed. "She took his gun and trained it on him. She threatened to kill him if Lord Uthor made any attempt to get near you."

"Jai!" Lois admonished, clearly uncomfortable.

"Aw, come on," Jai whined. "Take credit for what you did. You've got guts, sis. Real, hardcore guts." He gave her a brilliant grin and patted her shoulder affectionately.

"I probably wouldn't have actually pulled the trigger, you know," Lois shot back gently, still unsure if that was actually true.

Jai shook his head. "Doesn't matter. You made Lux believe you would, long enough for our guys to get in there and make the arrest. Face it, sis. You're a hero...or...heroine, I guess is the correct word."

"Lois," Kal said, shaking his head with infinite care, so as not to aggravate his wounds. "You shouldn't have done that. You could have been hurt...or worse."

Lois shrugged. "I didn't really make a conscious decision to do it," she confessed. "I just sort of...reacted. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you."

Kal sighed. "I couldn't bear the thought of losing you either," he said. "Any of you. That's why I snuck out of the palace to come and rescue you." He closed his eyes for a brief moment, collecting his energy. He was so tired, but he had so much more to learn and say. He simply refused to sleep again, not just yet. He'd slept for days already. "What about Bil's men? Did they...did they get out safely?"

Samm and Jor-El exchanged a weighted look. Neither one seemed willing to speak.

"They were hurt," Zara finally said, stepping up to the plate when no one else spoke. Her voice took on a low, soothing tone, so as not to upset her brother-in-law.

"How badly?"

Zara swallowed hard, uncomfortable now. "Worse than you. But they're alive and they'll heal."

"It's my fault," Kal whispered.

"No, it isn't," Jor-El said, taking his son's hand tenderly in his own, and giving it a small, gentle squeeze.

"Yes, it is," Kal insisted. "It was my plan, to send people in covertly. And I was right there when Bil's men got caught. I should have done...I don't know...something...to protect them, or to get them out of there."

"No," Jor-El said again, smiling softly at him. "If you had, you would have been captured too, and then where would we all be? Hmmm? You would all be prisoners...or worse."

Kal shook his head silently, guilt and shame welling up within him. His father might have been right, but the prince was unable to feel anything but responsible for whatever injuries the other men had suffered. He had been right there. He'd wanted to help. But he hadn't. It was as simple as that, to his mind.

"You have an incredibly brave daughter, Samm," he said instead, trying to force his thoughts away from the dark, brooding place they were heading.

"I know," the older man said, nodding. "I'm proud of her." His hand was resting atop Lois' shoulder in a loving manner.

The admission brightened Kal's dark mood considerably. At least Samm had changed his mind about how he viewed Lois, and the unconventional actions that she so often committed. He hoped the change in Samm would promote some healing between father and daughter. He thought that maybe it already had, as he saw Lois fairly beam with pride at her father's words.

"Where are Elle and Luci?" Kal asked, noticing for the first time that the two women were not present.

"In the guest chambers, sound asleep," Samm said. "Neither one has gotten much sleep since the abduction. And when you were brought in with such grievous injuries..." he shrugged. "I thought it best if they sleep now, since they were finally able to. I'll let them know that you are awake soon enough."

Kal nodded. "All right."

"Speaking of sleep, you need to rest," the doctor added.

"I will," he promised. "But not just yet. Samm? Do I really need all these wires and whatnot anymore?" He gestured helplessly at the tangle of tubes and wires, and the various machines they were attached to. "I feel kind of like a robot."

Samm nodded, then proceeded to remove most of the plastic that was attached to Kal. Only one intravenous line he left in, as it was delivering a steady dose of medication to the prince's beaten and battered body. Kal felt better and better as the lines vanished from sight. He'd always had a healthy hatred of needles and medical machinery.

Kal sighed, relieved that he only had the one small needle in his flesh now. "Thanks, Samm."

"You're welcome," the doctor smiled.

"Could you guys give me a few minutes alone with Dad?"

Heads nodded and Kal heard various murmurs of agreement. One by one, everyone left the room. Lois was the last to go, throwing a glance over her shoulder at him as she went, as if he might disappear in a puff of smoke if she took her eyes off him even for a second. He gave her the slightest of nods, letting her know that he wanted her to come back to the room when he was done speaking with his father. Now that he had her back, he was unwilling to let her leave his sight for long.

Jor-El remained seated at his son's bedside, his features still taut with his lingering concerns for Kal. Kal gave him a little smile, hoping to alleviate some of that worry. But now that he was alone with his father, the prince found himself lost as to where to begin. He groped for words in his mind, which was still slightly foggy with a persistent haze of pain, though the pill Samm had given him had already done wonders for him. His head was no longer splitting in two. Now, only a concert of drums was playing within the walls of his skull.

"So..." Kal said after a moment. It was a weak way to begin, but he could find no other words. "I guess I have two questions. How mad are you? And...when did you discover that I was missing?"

Jor-El sighed quietly, expelling one long breath in a thoughtful manner. "It was probably about an hour and a half, maybe two hours after you went to your chambers. Word had spread around the palace that we were in lock-down mode. Marthe went to your rooms to bring up some food for you. Your guards knew she was cleared to enter your chambers, and when you did not answer after she knocked, she knew something was wrong. She and the guards went into your rooms, only to find that you were not there. She came to me in a panic."

"I can't imagine what you must have thought," Kal said guiltily.

Jor-El smiled wryly at him. "Call me crazy, but I knew immediately what had happened. I knew in my heart that no one had snuck in to smuggle you away. I knew you'd gone to help. I should have known better to trust that you'd stay in your chambers, from the very beginning. But I was so wrapped up in...everything that was going on at the time. I never stopped to think about how stubborn you can be when you are set on a goal."

"Am I that predictable?" Kal asked, mildly surprised that Jor-El was blaming himself for Kal's actions.

The Supreme Lord nodded. "Only when you are that committed to a cause. It's an admirable quality, and one I hope you never lose."

"Dad," Kal said after a moment of silence. "I'm so sorry. You gave me direct orders to stay within my chambers. I went and deliberately disobeyed you. You were right to want to try to protect me. It was selfish of me to go out there...to risk leaving Krypton without an heir to the throne. To risk leaving you childless. But...I couldn't just sit by, doing nothing. I mean, I tried. I really did. But I couldn't do it. I never meant to worry you. You must be furious with me. And disappointed."

"Disappointed?" Jor-El asked, genuinely puzzled.

"Well...yeah," Kal said, confused over his father's calm reaction thus far. "I almost got myself killed out there. I didn't save Bil's men when I had the chance. And I flat-out ignored your warnings not to go on the rescue mission myself."

"Oh, Kal," Jor-El said, shaking his head, a smile playing across his lips. "It's true I was terrified for you. But, I think that, all things considered, you did what you needed to do. What we all needed you to do. It doesn't mean that I'm thrilled with it. Far from it. I wish only that I could have protected you. But, you were right in saying that Bilan's men probably weren't the best suited for the mission. They acted rashly and they got themselves caught. But, if it hadn't been for you...you and Ruce...maybe the others wouldn't be here right now. They told me all about Lux's plans," the Supreme Lord continued.

"Plans?" Kal asked. "I didn't...there wasn't enough time to ask. Does that have anything to do with how scared Jai was when I got to him?"

The Supreme Lord nodded. "It is. Lux and his sons never planned on letting Ching and Jai live, even if we had surrendered our claim to the throne. You were right about that. But they still planned on holding their lives above us, if we failed to allow them to bully us into submission. Lux ordered Jai to be the first one killed if we didn't relent our positions."

"That would explain it," Kal said thoughtfully. "And Lois and Zara?"

"Zara was to be given over to Nor as a concubine...or killed. It was left up to him," Jor-El said, frowning. "And Lux planned to kill you and take Lois as his own wife."

The words slapped Kal like actual blows to his face. He fought down a surge of bile that rose unexpectedly into the back of his mouth. To imagine that...that sadistic criminal being married to Lois was enough to make Kal ill.

"No," Kal said, horrified. "No."

"It's all right," Jor-El said soothingly. "Lux and his sons are safely locked away in the city jail, under heavy guard. They cannot so much as sneeze without us knowing about it."

"And Jen Mai?" Kal asked. "He was there, at Lux Manor. I saw him. Did we get him too?" He feared that the Elder might have somehow slipped away. One of the man's strengths was slipping away, unobserved, whenever he needed to fade into the background.

Jor-El nodded. "We got him too. He made a bargain with Bil to give us as much information as we could possibly want."

"In exchange for...?" Kal knew the man was up to something. Ever the opportunist, Jen Mai wasn't likely to give away anything without looking for something in return.

"Life," Jor-El said. "He knows he'll be charged with treason. And he knows he'll be facing a death sentence."

"So he gives us all the information he knows, and in return, he gets to live out his days in prison," Kal said, finishing his father's thought.

"Exactly. Provided, of course, that the rest of the Elders are willing to be lenient during the trial and sentencing."

"What's there to know that we don't already?" Kal asked. He could not fathom what other information the Elder could possibly have. "Was there more to the Uthors' plot?"

"Not exactly," his father said. "But Jen Mai was privy to a lot of Lux's dealings. He says that the missing women from the Uthors' estate were killed, and their bodies vaporized."

"Which is why we never found them," Kal said, understanding immediately.

"Right. He also swears that Ara Caln did not die of natural causes. He insists that Lux poisoned his late wife."

"But the medical reports stated..." Kal began to protest in confusion. He wondered at himself for a moment. Had he actually almost defended that monster?

Jor-El nodded. "I know what they said," he said quietly. "But remember, there are toxins out there that can simulate a heart attack and can dissipate to nothingness within minutes. They are rare, and incredibly expensive, but, well, that was never an issue for Lux." There was regret in his voice, at having been duped so thoroughly over the years of Lux's feigned friendship. There was sadness mixed in his tone and features as well.

Kal nodded ever so slightly at his father's words, mindful of his head injuries, as the puzzle pieces all slid into place in his mind. It made sense, on some twisted level, that Lord Uthor had murdered his own wife. Ara Caln had always been an independent, opinionated woman. It was the reason why her marriage to Lux had fallen into shambles so easily. And, Kal realized with a shudder, it was probably what had gotten her killed. Lux hated to look bad in any way. And Ara had, on a few occasions, argued with him in public, throwing less than flattering light on some of the proposals he'd made.

With a sinking feeling, Kal knew that everything he loved about Lois would have gotten her killed as well, if Lux had taken her for a wife.

"So...what now?" Kal asked, carefully steering his thoughts away from the path of what might have been.

"There will be a trial, of course," Jor-El said. "We didn't start it just yet because I could not bear to be parted from you. And neither could the others. We've barely left your chambers since you were brought home."

"So...you guys have been camped out in my living room this whole time?" Kal asked with a playful grin.

Jor-El laughed. "Basically, yes. I think your cat has enjoyed the company though. At least, he hasn't made any complaints."

Kal laughed at that. He reached over and petted the tabby's head. Fasa stirred, opened one eye, looked at Kal, and promptly yawned before going back to sleep.

"Now that you are on your way to recovering, we can figure out when to hold this trial," Jor-El continued, easily switching gears to a more serious note again.

"Right," Kal agreed. "Of course."

He was in no hurry to see the trial begin. He knew exactly how it would play out. He knew exactly how it would end. Lux and his sons would be found guilty of high treason; there was no way they could prove that what they had done wasn't treason. They would have to be insane to even try. And they would be sentenced to die.

Kal had seen it before, on two or three occasions when there had been a need to try murderers, for the sentence was exactly the same. The convicted men would be placed in a machine that would break down their bodies, and their molecules would be dispersed over the universe, and to all of the countless galaxies held within it. It wasn't a pleasant way to die, if indeed there was a pleasant way for one's life to be cut short.

And as much as Kal despised the Uthor family, he did not wish to witness their execution. He never wanted to bear witness to anyone's life coming to such a horrid end, no matter what they had done to warrant the punishment. But he also knew that even if he were to petition for a sentence of life in prison, the Elders wouldn't likely agree to it. He would try, if he could. At the very least, he could try to convince Ching or Jai to petition the Elders on his behalf, though he wasn't sure how much luck he might have with that. Though both of his brothers hated the use of the death penalty as much as he did, Kal wondered if their stance on the matter might not have been skewed now that their own lives had been in peril. In fact, Kal felt his own conviction about the death penalty slipping ever so slightly from his normally staunch position on the subject.

"You don't have to attend, if you aren't up to it," Jor-El said, frowning as Kal went silent.

Kal shrugged. "We'll see," he answered in a non-committal way.

"Kal," Jor-El said again, his voice going soft and low. "I want you to know something. I want you to know how very, very proud I am of you. And...I'm sorry. More than you will ever know."

"Sorry?" Kal gaped, caught off-guard. "I went and did everything you told me not to do. I'm the only one who needs to be sorry here."

Kal could hardly believe what he was hearing. He'd expected to spend the rest of his life trying to make up for the shame and terror he'd put his father through. And now, with the dust of his betrayal settling, his father was instead praising him? Kal couldn't have been more shocked if his father broke out into a song and dance routine right there in his bedroom.

The Supreme Lord nodded. "It's true that you went against my commands. And I wish it hadn't needed to happen that way. But, I should have listened to you, when you first told me of your plan."

Kal shook his head, just barely enough for the movement to be seen. "No, you were right."

"No," Jor-El said, "I wasn't. If I had listened to you, I could have ensured that you went in there with the proper backup. If I had, perhaps you wouldn't have been hurt. I should have anticipated that you'd find a way to sneak out."

"Dad..."

"There is something else," his father gently cut in.

Kal raised one questioning eyebrow. He couldn't begin to guess at what else his father might have to tell him. At least, he reasoned to himself, it couldn't possibly be any more shocking than what Jor-El had already told him. Could it?

"I thought you should know...before I approach the Elders. But...Kal, I plan to invoke a very ancient law. One that has not been used in well over five hundred years. I see no reason why the Elders would seek to block it with what power they wield."

"Dad, what are you talking about?" Kal asked.

He tried to think of every obscure law he knew of, but his head felt too cloudy to think straight. He could only force himself to be aware of the fact that Krypton had laws, but he remained unable to call to mind anything more complicated than the most basic of them.

"I plan to name both Ching and you as my heirs. Officially. When I die, you will both be raised to the role of Supreme Lord," his father said in a solemn voice.

Kal's mouth opened, but he could not speak. He felt shell-shocked. Dimly, he wondered if he had heard right. It couldn't possibly be. He was the second son. He was never meant to be the Supreme Lord. His role was to subtly support Ching when he became the Supreme Lord.

"Does Ching know?" Kal finally asked, his strangled voice coming out an octave higher than was normal. For some reason, that was the only one of the thousand questions that were swirling around his clouded mind to actually make it onto his tongue.

Jor-El nodded, a smile playing at the corners of his mouth. "He does. If it were up to him, he would have already brought the matter before Trey and the rest of the Elders."

"I'm...I'm not...really sure what to say," Kal stammered, groping for words as he went. "I'm not really sure that I'm right for the job."

"Kal, I have watched you grow from a helpless newborn into a strong, kind, and compassionate man," Jor-El said gently. "I know, without a doubt, that you are perfect for leading this planet. A good leader leads not through commands, but by example. You have never asked anyone to do anything that you yourself would not do. A good ruler doesn't favor one tier of society over another. You care not just for the nobility of this planet, but for all the people, down to the lowliest of the commoners. A true leader doesn't always do the popular thing. He does the right thing, no matter what. He listens to both his head and his heart when making important decisions. I have seen all these things in you. Trust me, Kal. You will be one of Krypton's greatest leaders. Ching will be as well, but I believe that you will surpass him."

"Even if that were true," Kal started to say.

"It is," Jor-El gently cut in.

"Even so," Kal tried again. "Is it really wise to have two Supreme Lords?"

"It's true that not many rulers have chosen to invoke that law," his father said, running a hand through his hair. "But I believe the planet will benefit from both of you stepping up to the role. You and Ching are so likeminded, it's as if you share one brain." He smiled gently at Kal. "And, just as importantly, you bring balance to one another. Ching is a lot more...well, 'by the books' than you are, though your more opened-minded attitude is sometimes exactly what is needed. Your rashness is tempered by Ching's sometimes too restrictive self-discipline. Your brother has a mind for the more specifics of the law and by logistics surrounding a situation. You are more likely to listen to what your heart tells you. And that is sometimes what needs to happen in a situation. Remember when that young kid came looking for a job? The one you sent to train for the palace security staff?"

"Of course, I do. But what does that have to do with anything?"

Jor-El smiled again. "Ching admitted to me later that he'd be concerned with whether or not we really needed another member of our security staff. But you...you saw not only the chance to placate Bil, but also the opportunity to give someone the chance they so desperately needed. Krypton needs people like you and Ching to lead it. And...there is one other thing."

"What?"

"There is a bond between you and the people, unlike any I've ever heard about. Oh, I hear the buzz and the gossip, the pulse of this planet. The people love Ching, that is true enough. But they have an affinity for you that goes beyond their love for Ching. You've never held back anything when dealing with the masses, especially with the commoners. So, yes, I think that having two Supreme Lords is just what Krypton needs."

"I...I'm honored," Kal said, his voice choking up slightly. No other words came to him.

"You should rest now," the Supreme Lord said, standing. "You need to let your injuries heal."

"I will," Kal said, feeling himself growing ever more tired, though he shoved the feelings away. "Can you tell Lois to come in, please?"

Jor-El nodded, unwilling to deny his son anything. Kal desperately needed to rest, that much was true. But, he had only just returned from where he had been teetering on the brink of death. The Supreme Lord would not - could not - ask Kal to wait to have a private word with his wife.

"Absolutely," he said, smiling at his son.

He turned to leave the bedroom, but Kal stopped him before he could take more than three steps.

"Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Can you hand me Lois' necklace, please?" He gestured vaguely to where he'd left it before he'd went on his rescue mission. "I promised myself that I would return it to her once I found her."

Jor-El smiled. He quickly scanned Kal's room until he saw the diamond star sitting atop the dresser. He crossed to where it was, plucked it gently from where it was resting, and placed it in Kal's waiting hand.

"Thanks," Kal said.

Jor-El nodded, but did not speak. Instead, he turned and quietly left the bedroom. Kal sighed as he subtly shifted his body, settling himself deeper into the pillows that were supporting him as he lay in his bed. He closed his eyes for the span of four heartbeats, enjoying the sensation of being home, in his own chambers, knowing that his loved ones were safe and sound, knowing that the threat to them was truly over. Kal felt that he could not be more grateful, nor could he ask for any greater gift.

Taking a deep breath, and fighting off the sleep that was steadily encroaching on him, he opened his eyes. A moment later, Lois appeared in his doorway. Kal smiled at her, encouraging her to come closer. His wife's face blossomed into a smile as well, and she swept into the room, until she was at his bedside. He patted the mattress when she made a move to sit in the chair. She took the hint and sat instead on the bed next to him. Kal shuffled over slightly, allowing her to have more room. The movement jostled Fasa, who blinked unhappily at his master before indignantly jumping down and leaving the room. Kal chuckled and carefully threaded his left arm around Lois' waist, mindful of the single intravenous line that snaked out from his skin.

"Hey," he said, smiling gently at her.

"Hey yourself," Lois smiled back.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he said, the words catching in his throat. "You shouldn't have attacked Nor."

"I had no choice," she protested, though her voice was soft and low. "He was going to kill you, Kal."

"I know," he said, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I'm grateful that you saved my life. I really am. But...well, if he had hurt you, I never would have forgiven myself. Still...thank you, for saving me."

"Hey, we're even," Lois teased him gently. "I seem to remember you risking your life to break me out of that cell." She shuddered involuntarily.

Kal gave her a shallow shrug, and winced at the slight stab of pain that ran through his broken ribs. "Funny thing about that. It seems that I don't take well to having the love of my life kidnapped."

Lois giggled at him, a light, airy sound that melted Kal's heart. "Hmm. That is interesting," she teased again.

"Shocking, I know," Kal grinned. "But, in all seriousness, I need you to know something."

"What's that?" A line of concern flickered across her brow.

"You didn't just save my life when you attacked Nor. You saved my life the moment you entered it. I was nothing before I met you. You've given my life meaning. You've given me a reason to believe in love. Thank you."

"Kal," Lois breathed, her voice hitching in her throat. "I don't know what to say. Except...you did the same thing for me. From the moment we met, you've encouraged me to be who I am. You've empowered me. You've given me a reason to love life. You've given me a reason to trust in love. For so long, I didn't believe that love truly existed. I mean, look at the family I came from. I thought it was the normal thing, for two people to barely tolerate each other. But you proved to me that that is the exception to the rule, and not the norm. So, thank you, for saving my life, in every single way."

"Here," Kal said, placing her necklace into her hands, after his words once again threatened to fail him. "I promised myself I would return this to you."

Lois' face brightened even further. It was clear she hadn't realized Kal had been in possession of the piece of jewelry. But then again, it had been half-buried among various vials of what Kal could only assume were the medications Samm had been administering to him.

"My necklace!" Lois exclaimed, breathlessly. "I'd thought for sure it was lost forever."

Kal shook his head, the movement the barest minimum needed for it to be seen. "It was on the ground right where you and the others had been standing, out in the snow," he explained.

"Thank you," Lois said, tearing her eyes from the gem to meet her husband's gaze.

"We'll have to get you a new chain," he said, gesturing to the broken silver links.

"It can wait," Lois replied, brushing a lock of Kal's hair from his brow. She placed a soft kiss in the exact spot she had just cleared. "First, you have to get well. Oh, Kal, I can't even begin to tell you how afraid I was that I might lose you."

He smiled gently, and reached up slowly to brush his fingertips over her cheek. "I'm fine now, really. A little worse for wear, but I'll be fine. Your father has made sure of that. All of this," he gestured vaguely to his wounds, "is only temporary. What matters is that you and I are here...safe, and happy, and together. And that we always will be."

"Daddy's barely slept since you were brought home," she said, nodding.

"And I'm thankful for all he did," Kal agreed, pulling his hand from her face and dropping it wearily back down to rest on the comforter.

"The whole planet has been in a state of near-mourning," Lois confided in him. "Ever since that night."

Kal's brow furrowed. "Really?"

His wife nodded. "Word got out about the rescue and your involvement, almost as soon as Bil's team made the arrests. Your father was forced to make an official statement, to dispel the rumors that were flying about. People have been keeping vigil over the palace, as though just by being here, they could...I don't know. Will some strength into you, maybe?"

"Wow," Kal said, floored.

He hadn't expected that. Some part of his mind wondered what other surprises the night would bring. He wasn't sure he could handle any more, at least not until he had some rest.

"Here, let me show you."

Lois picked up a small, portable video screen. She fiddled for a moment with the device, until she brought up the closed-circuit security cameras. Squinting at the numerous boxes that appeared on screen, she finally selected one which showed the view outside the palace walls. Then she held it up so that Kal could see.

Thousands of people stood beyond the walls, a sea of faces so densely packed it was difficult to see where one body ended and another began. Some were holding their children close to them. Some had their heads bent to one another, their lips moving in unheard conversation. Some, Kal thought, appeared to be wiping at their eyes. Most were silent, gazing intently at the palace where their injured prince lay.

Entire legions of military officers stood at attention, their silent, stoic presence keeping order without the need for words. And cutting the crowd, in three spots that Kal could see, long aisles stood open wide. Kal watched as a family of six made their way down the open walkway, all the way up to the very front of the crowd. There they stopped, and each one of them lit a candle before placing it reverently on the ground. The youngest, a girl of perhaps four or five, placed down a single flower as well. Intrigued, Kal reached towards the small screen, and selected a different view of the crowd.

His breath caught in his throat as he sucked in a rush of air. Stretching out in every direction, the scene at the walls and gates was the same. Lit candles and small tokens lay there, the merry flames lighting up the night. If fire truly could cure injuries, Kal felt certain that the amount of candles standing vigil in the dark would have easily cured every hurt anyone had ever experienced in all of Krypton's history.

He was instantly humbled at the outpouring of support that he saw on the screen. And yet, it made him uncomfortable at the same moment. He was more than content to be the man in the shadows, the one who stayed to one side while others basked in the limelight. Being the center of attention, even in a scenario like this, always made him ill at ease.

"Wow," he breathed again, trying to form a coherent thought. With all he'd learned that night, he felt as if his head was about to explode. "Please, no more," he begged. "No more."

Lois obliged in turning the device off. "The people love you, Kal. Not that it's so hard to see why."

Kal shook his head. "Those people should be home, where it's warm and comfortable. Please, have Dad tell them I'm all right, so they can stop their vigil. I appreciate the support, but they shouldn't be milling about in the cold."

"All right," she agreed. Then, it seemed a new thought struck her. "Are you hungry?" she suddenly asked.

With a start, Kal realized that he hadn't eaten in days. Even before he'd been injured and lost to the black void he'd wandered in as he'd fought to live, he'd barely touched any food. His stomach let out a low rumble in response, but he was getting so tired now that he didn't think he'd be able to summon enough energy to chew. And, he suspected, one of the bags hanging from the pole with his intravenous line had to be providing his body with some form of nutrition.

"A bit," he answered truthfully. "But I'm more exhausted than anything. I don't think I could chew anything."

"What about some soup?"

Kal nodded again, a smile playing on his lips. "Yeah. I think I could do that."

"I'll be right back," she promised him, as she slipped out of his embrace.

In another moment, she was gone, out of the room. Kal felt lonely as he waited for her to return. Involuntarily, his eyes closed, and he dozed for a short time. But it was a light sleep, and before long, he fully reawakened as he heard Lois coming back into the room. She had a small tray in her hands. Kal inhaled deeply through his nose. He smiled when he caught the unmistakable aroma of his favorite soup.

"Hey. Did I wake you?" Lois asked.

"Not really," Kal replied. "I was sort of in a light doze. Besides, I'd rather be awake and with you. I can sleep any time. Being with you is far better medicine."

"You're sweet," she said, smiling at him.

She brought the tray over to the bed, then carefully climbed back up to sit atop the comforter. She placed the tray on her lap, and a healthy plume of fragrant steam wafted up past her face. She dipped the spoon into the broth, then brought it to Kal's lips. Kal eagerly ate what she offered up, savoring the comforting taste of shredded meats and vegetables before swallowing it down.

"I could get used to this," he smirked at her, causing her to laugh. "A beautiful woman, tending my every need..." he let his voice trail off as he winked at her.

Lois snorted back another laugh. "You don't need to be hurt in order to have that," she retorted with a wicked gleam in her eyes.

Kal chuckled. "That's true." He ate another spoonful of soup.

The food was quite good, one of the tastiest renditions Jon Ken had ever created. Although, Kal thought to himself, he couldn't be sure that wasn't just because he was happy to be alive and able to eat anything at all. Or if the added layer of flavor didn't come just from the fact that his wife was there, tenderly feeding it to him as he recuperated from his injuries.

He accepted spoonful after spoonful from her. After savoring the first few mouthfuls, his appetite exploded and he all but wolfed down the remaining food. Finally feeling somewhat sated, he sighed and lay his head back, gingerly, so as not to aggravate his injuries. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. Lois stood and set the tray off to one side.

"You should sleep," she said, bending and kissing his forehead, his cheeks, his lips.

"Stay with me?" Kal asked, when she started to move away from the bed. "Please?"

"All right," she said, just as unwilling to part from him.

Carefully, she lowered herself back down to lay beside him on the bed. Delicately, she arranged the intravenous line that was hooked into his arm so that it would not be in any danger of being tugged loose as she snuggled up beside him. She finally lay still, her body pressed tightly against his, and she let out a sigh. Kal echoed her as his world was finally fully put right again, like the final piece of a vast, complicated puzzle being locked into place. His wife was once more at his side, safe and unharmed. He took comfort from her even breathing, and his hand grasped hers. As always, their fingers intertwined without the need for conscious thought. His thumb ran over the side of her hand, reveling in the soft touch of her flesh.

"Kal?" she said softly.

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Lois." Kal's grin overtook his entire face.

"I can't wait until you're healed completely," she murmured.

"Me too," he agreed. "On the upside, however, I'll probably be able to take some time off from my duties around the palace."

"Probably?" Lois asked, her voice taking on the same wry edge his had taken.

"Well," Kal began, now turning serious. "I guess Dad didn't tell you the news, huh?"

Beside him, Lois shook her head. "What news?"

"Dad's planning to officially name me as his heir. Along with Ching," he clarified.

"So one day..."

"Ching and I will both be Supreme Lord. And you'll be Supreme Lady."

"That's..." she fumbled for words, her mouth open in shock. "Congratulations, Kal. You'll be an excellent ruler. I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks," he said, still feeling somehow unworthy of the appointment. "But, well, I'll only be a good leader because I'll have you at my side. You've helped make me the man that I am, Lois."

She shook her head again. "No, that's not true. You were a 'one in a billion' kind of man well before I ever met you."

"No, Lois," he said, speaking earnestly. "You've changed me, ever since the day we met. I'm a better person because of you."

"I think the medicines are affecting your mind," Lois teased him.

Kal chuckled. "Despite the fact that my head feels stuffed with cotton, I've never thought so clearly before."

Lois twisted in his arms, flashing him a brilliant smile. She kissed his lips, and he responded, almost hungrily. As their tongues danced to that most ancient of tunes, Kal felt as though Lois' love alone would cure his ailments. He felt stronger already.

After a time, they broke from their kisses. Kal's entire body was abuzz with the warmth and comfort that Lois' show of love had infused his body with. He lay back into his pillows, feeling breathless from the intensity of their kisses and the powerful emotions they invoked. Next to him, Lois settled back down, and Kal silently encouraged her to snuggle closer. She obliged and laid her head on his shoulder, while he wrapped his arm carefully around her body. She sighed in contentment, and Kal did the same, closing his eyes and savoring the moment.

Completely at peace for the first time since Lois and the others had been captured, Kal surrendered himself to the realm of blissful sleep.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon