This story is a sequel to "Momentum: A Winter Holiday Tale", my Christmas story from last December. If you haven't read it yet, you can find it here: Momentum (Sorry, non-Americans ... in this case, "winter holiday" means the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, though L&C do briefly discuss potential vacations. <g>) "Momentum 2: The Revelation" picks up two and a half weeks later, in mid-January. smile

Several readers noted last year that the one thing missing from the original story was a revelation. At the time, I had no idea how I would do one, or at least no idea how to do one in the same humorous, light-hearted tone introduced in Momentum. Fortunately, a fellow FoLC -- Gerry Anklewicz -- responded to my open invitation for people to send me their ideas and gave me a line that was just too good to pass up. The story itself went off in a different direction from her suggested epilogue -- and is about 150K longer! goofy -- but the "money line" is all hers and for that, I am very grateful. smile

I'd also like to thank my beta-readers, AnnieM and Pam Jernigan, for their help and encouragement while I was writing this story, and the FoLCs on IRC who would let me paste the occasional section on channel and give me their reactions. They kept reassuring me the story was on the right track.

Oh, yes, and there are two versions of this story being posted concurrently, one in the regular Fanfic folder and one in the Nfanfic folder. However, it might be worth noting that unlike most of my conversions, which are written as nfics and have to be edited to make them PG-13, this story began (and was completed) as a PG-13 story and was only expanded later. The PG13 version is the story I intended to tell ... the nfic version just has more gravy. wink

I hope everyone enjoys. All feedback, public or private, is greatly appreciated.

Kathy

Momentum 2: The Revelation
by Kathy Brown
Rated PG-13

Clark Kent sat on the left side of the conference room table during the weekly Daily Planet story meeting, pretending to be engrossed in the assignments his editor was giving to his colleagues. Glancing up to catch his partner's eye across the table, he bit his lip to keep from grinning as he felt her toes carefully work their way past his pant cuff to rub his calf. She, too, appeared to be listening to Perry, but when he brought his legs together to playfully trap her foot, he watched her fight valiantly to smother a laugh.

"So, Clark, can I assume that smile on your face means your and Lois's follow-up on the Space Rats story from last month is going well?"

Clark startled and turned towards his expectant editor, quickly releasing Lois's foot. He tried not to laugh as he heard his partner whisper, "Busted!"

"Yeah, Chief, it's moving along fine," he managed to answer smoothly. "Mr. Schott and Ms. Duffy are out on bail and their lawyer is trying to get the District Attorney's office to agree to a plea bargain. They're hoping to avoid jail time all together by doing community service, though I'm not sure what kind of deal the D.A. is going to be up for. Word is he and his wife maxed out their credit cards after getting sprayed with the stuff, contracting for an in-the-ground pool to be dug in the middle of winter."

As their colleagues chuckled, Lois continued the explanation. "The D.A. might not have much choice, though. From what we've been able to find out, they're having trouble coming up with charges that will stick. The chemical itself isn't classified anywhere as illegal since Schott just invented it, and all the components he used to develop it were legally obtained."

Clark nodded and picked up the thread. "They were going to go for reckless endangerment, based on the number of cab drivers who were working after having been sprayed--"

"But they haven't been able to find any witnesses who believe the cabbies were driving any worse than before," Lois added, the corners of her mouth twitching.

"So, bottom line," Clark finished, "all they may be able to get him on is attempting to tamper with the city's water supply."

"Great Shades of Elvis." Perry rolled his eyes at the results, but he seemed satisfied with their progress on the story. "OK, keep on it, you two. Ferguson, where are you at with the Mayor's press conference?"

As their boss turned his attention to the other reporters in the room, Clark allowed himself to grin at his partner, letting his eyes twinkle at her as she brushed her ankle affectionately against his under the table. Even being caught by surprise by their editor hadn't stopped them from proving what great partners they were, finishing each other's sentences and completing each other's thoughts. Only now, they were more than just partners at work. As of today, he and Lois had been together for two and a half weeks -- in a real, honest-to-goodness, thrilling romantic relationship -- and he couldn't remember ever being happier.

It was amazing to think that only a month ago, he'd been convinced that Lois would never see him as anything more than her best friend. After all, she'd made it perfectly clear last spring that she didn't see him as a potential romantic partner. All that had changed, however, when Clark decided to delay his trip to Smallville in order to spend Christmas Eve with her. From holding hands by her tiny tree and enjoying a special meal together, to cuddling on the sofa and sharing a tender kiss at midnight, it had been a truly magical evening.

The next morning, after awakening in his bed in Smallville, Clark had replayed the evening over and over, savoring the incredible feelings being with Lois brought out in him. He'd decided right then and there to stop playing it safe, to stop hiding the signs that he was interested in more than just friendship. They'd spent almost every evening together during the week between Christmas and New Year's as he began to actively court her. From going out to lunch, to watching old movies in his apartment, to taking her ice skating and dancing, he'd done his best to get Lois to see him as a potential boyfriend. And at a little before midnight on New Year's Eve, his dreams finally came true as they voiced their feelings and shared their first entirely mutual kiss.

It had been a little before one in the morning when they'd decided to head back to his place, holding hands and trading sweet kisses as they walked the several blocks home. When Lois had come inside to retrieve her purse, she'd suggested it would only be for a moment ... then they'd ended up talking and kissing on his couch until nearly sunrise. Clark knew he'd never forget the shiver that traveled through him as the tip of her tongue first brushed against his, or the way her nylon covered thigh felt under his palm as he caressed the back of her leg when their kisses became more passionate. Come morning, he'd had to work on New Year's Day with next to no sleep, but considering that the grin hadn't left his face the entire time, he couldn't exactly say that he'd minded.

He'd told Lois he loved her that night, as they'd come up from one of the numerous heart-stopping kisses they'd shared, and she had responded that she had strong feelings for him, as well. It wasn't quite the same thing as his declaration -- in the two and a half weeks they'd been dating, Lois had yet to say the words, "I love you" -- but, as she'd explained to him at the time, she had only recently begun to let herself think of him as more than just a friend and she needed some time to settle into their relationship. Considering how long Clark had waited to get to this point, it was time he couldn't begrudge her.

Indeed, there was only one thing holding Clark back from completely enjoying their relationship: Superman. In the last few weeks, he and Lois had spent many hours together getting to know each other as boyfriend and girlfriend instead of partners and best friends. But although they had talked about so many things, frequently late into the night, he still hadn't told her that her boyfriend and her favorite superhero were one and the same.

Clark wasn't sure exactly what was holding him back now that things had become more serious between them. When he'd first begun to court her, he knew it was too soon; he'd needed to know that Lois had romantic feelings for him, not just the guy in the flashy suit. And once they started dating, he'd been able to rationalize that she hadn't told him she loved him yet.

Yet over the last several days, he'd come to realize how foolish he was being. No matter what words Lois spoke, she was showing him every day that she cared very deeply for him. It was in the way her face lit up whenever she saw him and the way her eyes twinkled at him every time they shared a private joke. And it was in the way she would snuggle up contently beside him as they watched television and in the way she would whisper breathless endearments to him when they began to kiss. No, as much as Clark longed to hear those three little words from her, to have Lois look into his eyes and tell him that she loved him, he was no longer willing to use that as an excuse.

The only question now was the timing -- what would be the best way to tell her? It wasn't as if he hadn't thought about it many times; he'd even danced around the subject a few times this week when they'd been alone together. But each time, something had interrupted them. Something was *always* interrupting them. If it wasn't a cry for help, it was a story assignment or a ill-timed phone call from a source. No, Clark decided, if he wanted to tell Lois his secret -- and, finally, he really, truly did -- then they needed to distance themselves from all the distractions Metropolis continued to tempt them with. Somehow, they needed to get away. But where?

As he pondered his dilemma, Clark noticed that the story meeting was drawing to a close. Before Perry could dismiss them, however, Megan, a relatively new reporter on the City desk indicated that she had a quick announcement to make.

"As you may remember," she began, "I'm the newsroom's representative on the United Way committee and I just wanted to let everyone know the results of the drawing we held this morning."

Clark nodded in recognition. As part of the United Way's recent fundraising campaign, everyone at the newspaper who signed up for automatic payroll deductions for the coming year had their name entered into a drawing for prizes donated by area businesses. He'd vaguely remembered that the drawing would be held sometime in mid-January, but he hadn't realized it was going to be this week.

"Our third prize," Megan informed the room, "was a $100 gift certificate to Cost Mart, and it was awarded to Mark Capinski in Sports."

"Hey, isn't his wife like nine months pregnant?" a reporter across the room asked with a chuckle. "They'll be all set for diapers!"

As everyone in the room chuckled, Megan smiled and went on. "Second prize was two theater tickets and an overnight stay at the Metropolis Grand Hotel. It went to Teresa Mereck in Editorials."

"Aww," another reporter piped up. "It can be a second honeymoon. I think she and her husband have an anniversary coming up."

When the chatter died down a bit, Megan continued, a grin growing on her face. "And the Grand Prize," she announced, "A weekend trip for two to the Mount Troy Ski Resort ... went to our very own Clark Kent!"

Clark's eyes opened wide in surprise as the people around him began to clap and congratulate him. "You're kidding!" he exclaimed. "I never win things."

As Megan tossed a fat envelope across the table towards him, however, the reality of the situation sank in and Clark began to grin. Through some neat twist of fate, the answer to his biggest question had just fallen into his lap.

After taking a side trip to the coffee pot to refill her cup, Lois returned to her desk after the staff meeting only to furrow her brow as she noticed an unfamiliar pamphlet resting in the center of her workspace. Sliding into her seat, her puzzled expression turned into a smile, however, as she noted the title on the front: "Stay Slopeside. Mount Troy Ski Resort." Flipping through the glossy pages full of nicely organized photographs and informational text, Lois lifted her eyebrows in surprised appreciation. She'd skied Mount Troy many times in her younger days, but the then-barebones accommodations had obviously improved in the years since. Many of the options looked downright luxurious.

Movement next to her desk caught her eye and Lois looked up in time to see her partner settle himself into her guest chair, a pleased look on his face. She greeted him with a smile. "This was a nice surprise for you," she said amicably, indicating the brochure. "To win a trip like this."

Clark gave a little laugh. "Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I don't normally win things." Then his eyes twinkled at her as he brushed the back of his hand along her arm in a subtle gesture of affection. "I'd say 1995 is turning out to be a pretty lucky year for me so far."

"It's only January 18," she pointed out teasingly.

"Best eighteen days of my life," he replied warmly.

Her smile becoming more tender, Lois ran her fingertips down the inside of his wrist, feeling a little thrill as she watched his gaze become more intense. So far, they'd been careful not to be overtly demonstrative at work, figuring that the gossip mill had enough to keep itself busy, but neither of them seemed to be able to avoid the secret touches and smiles that showed how they felt about each other. "So when do you think you're going to go?" she asked, bringing their attention back to the ski resort brochure. "Snow should be good through early March, at least."

Clark brightened. "Actually, I just called them," he said, taking the pamphlet from her hands and opening it to a certain page before laying it back on her desk. "What do you think about staying here ..." He pointed to a particularly nice-looking photo spread. "This weekend?"

Lois looked up in surprise. "What do *I* think? It's your trip."

"Well, you're coming, aren't you?" he asked, equally surprised. His voice took on a husky tone. "Lois, you know you're the only one I'd want to go with."

She felt her heart melt. "Oh, Clark."

"I know it's kind of short notice," he continued, explaining. "And we can do it another time if you want. But I thought it would be fun to just go ... you know, 'carpe diem' and all that. We're both off this weekend so I thought we could drive up Friday after work and ski Saturday and Sunday." He grinned and his voice took on a teasing tone. "Come on ... fireplace, private deck with a hot tub, the chance to show me up on the slopes ... you know you want to ... I can see it in your eyes."

Lois couldn't help but laugh at his obvious coaxing, but after glancing at the room description in the brochure, she hesitated. "It's not that I don't want to," she said reluctantly. "Really. It's just ...well ..." She bit her lip nervously, wondering how to express herself.

"What?"

She took a deep breath, wondering if her concerns would turn him off. "I mean ... it's only been a few weeks ... have we really been together long enough to go away for the weekend?"

Clark sat back, his brow furrowing in confusion. "But we've gone away together before. Sure, not for fun, but for work ... you know, stake-outs and all." Then suddenly, he got it. "Oh! Oh, Lois, no, I wasn't--" He blushed slightly. "I mean, it's not that I *don't* want to ... you know ... but I wasn't--" He stopped again, rolling his eyes at his own fumbling. "Oh, geez, can I just start over?"

Lois began to laugh with him. "Go ahead."

After taking a deep breath, he gave her a warm smile and reassuringly covered her hand with his. "I'm not trying to pressure you into anything, Lois; I don't have any expectations about that part of our relationship. Yes, it's a one-bedroom unit, but there's a pull-out couch in the living room that I was planning to sleep on. I just want us to spend some time together away from Metropolis, away from all these distractions." He blew out another breath, looking almost as if he was gathering his own courage. "And ... talk. Get to know each other better."

Relaxing, Lois turned her hand under his, interlacing their fingers. "I think I'd like that, too," she said softly.

His face lit up. "Really? So you'll come? This weekend?"

Her smile turned into an excited grin. "I can't wait." Releasing his hand, she picked up the brochure and turned to the trail map in the back, spreading it out so they could both see. "I can't believe how many trails they've added since I've been there! It used to be fairly small when I was a kid, but it looks like they've added a bunch of runs. Oh, this is going to be so much fun!"

Clark sat back in his seat and fixed her with a teasing look. "I do have one condition, though."

Lois cocked her head. "What?"

"You *have* to wear those black ski pants you wore for ice skating last month."

to be continued in part 2, on Thursday smile