Previously On Contractually Bound:

He moved to the living room and began to pace before his windows. The short winter day was coming to a close beyond the massive windows, though the hour was still early enough. Only the barest rim of the horizon was still awash in a bold orange that stood defiant of the encroaching purple-black of night. Kal gave up pacing when he found that it only made him feel even more trapped than before. He looked after Fasa's needs, though the distraction was far too brief. He attempted to read, but after reading the same line ten times and still not knowing what it said, he gave up. He flipped through the channels on his video screen, but found the sudden influx of sound to be unsettling without Lois' presence to offset it. He flicked the monitor off again and tossed the remote to the far end of the couch. He went back to pacing.

He was trying to obey his father's wishes. He was attempting to place his faith in Bil and his team. He was doing his utmost to keep to his word that he would do as his father commanded - to stay within his chambers until the threat was over and the abductors brought to justice. But every moment spent doing nothing was agony, torture unlike anything that Kal had ever experienced. It clawed at him from the inside out, tearing his guts and organs into bloody shreds. It made him want to scream out in frustration, in hurt, in terror. It filled him with such adrenaline that made him feel as though he could move mountains, divert rivers, tear down walls, and fly into the heavens to snuff out the stars.

He tried to rationalize with himself. He tried to convince himself that Bil and his team would be successful. He tried to make himself see that there was nothing that he could do that the others could not. And yet, he knew, even as he thought these things, that they weren't true. His gut instinct told him that he was the one who needed to explore the Uthors' manor. He'd been there before. Not many others had. Lux was very particular about who he allowed into his home. Kal felt certain that his foreknowledge was an advantage that would mark the difference between the mission being a success or a failure.

Resolve grew in him. It washed over his body; a cleansing wave that took away his fear, took away his depression, took away his feeling of being hopelessly lost. It gave him a purpose, a reason to continue to fight. He knew what he had to do, though the knowledge filled him with guilt.

"I'm so sorry, Dad," he whispered to the empty, lifeless room around him, his voice barely audible to his own ears.

He crossed the room, then picked up his phone. His fingers glided easily over the buttons, without him even needing to guide them with a conscious thought. He listened as the phone sprang into life, dialing the one person he could trust. After a long moment, the other end picked up and Kal let out a soft sigh of relief.

"Ruce? It's me, Kal. I need your help."

Two (Super) Men On A Mission

Half an hour later, Kal swallowed the last of his sandwich, which he'd whipped up from a few items he had in his modest pantry. He wasn't hungry, and the food tasted like dirt in his distracted, fearful state, but he knew that he needed the fuel it would afford his body. He'd eaten so little since the night before, when he'd been blissfully unaware of the attack that had been waiting for his family. He unceremoniously drained the last sip of water from his glass, then washed it in the sink in his kitchenette. He knelt down, petted Fasa on the head, and enjoyed the sensation of the cat's deep, rhythmic purring for a moment.

"Be good," he whispered to the feline. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

Kal zipped his thick coat up to his neck, stepped over to the windows in his living room, and opened it. He stepped out into the frigid night air and closed the sliding door behind him. From his vantage point on his narrow balcony, he watched the palace security patrols; dark shapes moving against a slightly less dark backdrop. Timing his movements so that he would not be caught, he dropped a length of rope down to the ground after securing the top to the railing. As he slowly and silently descended to the frozen ground below, he was infinitely glad that he still had some of the items he'd used in his brief military career, though he hadn't made it much past the training stage before his injury had forced his withdrawal from the force.

Once on the ground, Kal tugged on the rope enough to dislodge the hook he'd used to bind it to the railing, then he quickly coiled it and placed it into the pack he carried on his back. Luckily for him, the night was clear. Only a few shredded rags of thin clouds hung nearly motionless in the sky, outlined in silver-gray from the moonlight. The twin moons were close to full and threw down more than enough light to see by, but the light was cold, distant, and unfriendly to his upturned face. With a quick glance around to ensure that no one was in the vicinity, Kal hunched his shoulders against the freezing temperature and quickly headed off to the small, rarely used, and all but forgotten servant's path along the outermost rim of the gardens. The path was badly overgrown, and branches from various trees and hedges reached out towards him with groping fingers, begging him to stop and take note of them. He shouldered them aside, trying not to make any noise that would give himself away.

At last, he was far enough along the path. He stopped and looked around, trying to find what he needed. He chewed his lower lip absently as he searched. Then he saw it. One of the trees nearby was perfect. The branches started fairly low and grew out at almost regular intervals. It would be easy enough to climb. Kal would barely have to exert himself. And one thick, hopefully sturdy, limb reached out enough to kiss the top of the high stone wall that encircled the gardens; that ancient sentinel which protected the palace, though there had never been an attempt to breach the palace grounds, not for more than a thousand years.

Kal quickly made his way to the tree, then jumped up to grab a low branch. Using his upper-body strength, he easily pulled himself up into the tree. Carefully, he picked his path through the tangle of limbs and branches, testing each hand-and foot-hold before fully committing his weight to them. The limbs were heavy with snow and slick with ice in places. A few times, he had to scramble to hold on as a hidden patch of ice appeared beneath his booted feet, despite his great care and the specially designed treads on the bottoms of his footwear. But at last, he made it to his target. Slowly, and with deliberate care, he eased himself out onto the limb, crawling across it on his belly, using his hands to grip the bark ahead of him and his toes to propel himself forward.

The limb groaned beneath him, so laden as it was with its heavy load of snow. Kal only hoped the added stress of his body weight would not cause the wood to crack. His hands reached forward, grabbing with fingers that were swiftly going numb. He wished desperately that he could put on his gloves, but the thick material was too ungainly for such a delicate operation. His feet pushed him forward, the rough bark sliding beneath his stomach as he moved. The limb let loose another agonized grunt.

"Just a little further," Kal whispered; to himself or the tree, he wasn't quite sure. "Almost there." It instantly became a mantra. "Just a little further." Reaching ahead, grabbing the bark. "Almost there." Pushing ahead with his toes, inching his body forward.

At last, Kal was at the wall. With infinite care, he lowered himself to the top of the stone wall, going so slowly he hardly felt he was moving at all. He crouched there, atop the wall, for a long moment, looking out, searching. Then he finally saw it, headlights moving in the distance, coming ever closer. Kal held his breath, hoping the approaching vehicle was the one he sought. As the hovercraft neared the wall, it slowed to a crawl. A small smile curled the edges of Kal's mouth for what felt like the first time that day. He'd recognize Ruce' vehicle anywhere.

Kal reached into his pocket and withdrew the small flashlight from within the confines of the thick material. With fingers too numb to feel it, he pressed the button, aiming the thin beam of light down to the snow-encrusted ground beyond the gardens. Ruce saw the signal. He edged the vehicle forward, throwing it into park ten feet from where Kal was. Kal put the device away, then eased his rope and hook from his pack once more. He drove the hook as deeply into the snow and ice as he could, then tugged on the line to see if it would hold. It looked steady enough, so he tossed the line over the side and began to slowly let himself down. The line was about five feet too short, so Kal released the rope once he reached the end, and allowed himself to fall the rest of the way. He landed feet-first in the snow, then quickly retrieved his rope once more.

He opened the passenger door of Ruce's vehicle, tossing his pack over his shoulder into the back seat as he sat. The heat within the hovercraft was more than welcome, and Kal pressed his frozen fingers to the vents before him, sighing gratefully as the warmth seeped into his digits.

"Thanks for coming," he said to his old friend. "I owe you one."

Ruce nodded. "Like I said, anything I can do to help, you can count me in. So...where to?"

"Your place," Kal said without hesitation. "I'll explain what I need to do on the way."

"Next stop, A'ne Manor," the young lord said with a grin. He put the vehicle into drive, guiding it over the frozen landscape with all speed.

As they moved further from the palace, some of the tension within Kal began to unfurl, slowly at first, but more swiftly as he grew closer to A'ne Manor. The farther they got from the palace, the more Kal felt his emotions changing. Despair gave way to hope. Fear fled before a sense of determination. Powerlessness bowed down to purposefulness. Restlessness became calm collectedness.

In only one thing did he still hold any reservations. He'd deliberately disobeyed his father's wishes. He felt horrible about that. He had never done a thing like this before. Oh, sure, he'd climbed a tree as a young boy when his father had told him not to. He'd snuck out into the gardens at night as a teenager to visit with the stars when his father had thought him fast asleep in his bed. But this wasn't the same as a boy pushing the envelope to see what he could and could not get away with. This...this was an outright betrayal. And it was eating away at Kal's conscience, like some vast, hungry beast that could not be sated.

He sighed to himself and then steeled his emotions once more. There would be plenty of time to beg his father's forgiveness once his brothers, sister-in-law, and wife were safe. Any punishment that Jor-El might deem necessary to dole out would be well worth it, if only Kal knew that the people he loved were safe and sound. He would spend the rest of his life apologizing for betraying his father's trust, for utterly defying his command, if only he could hold his wife in his arms again. Kal had heard a saying once, though he could no longer recall where he'd heard it. "Better to ask forgiveness than permission." Kal hadn't agreed with it at the time, at least not totally. But in this one, dire situation, he found himself siding with the saying. In his heart, he knew he was doing the right thing.

Ruce cast a concerned look at the prince, and Kal realized belatedly that he'd been silent for a long time. Clearing his throat, Kal began to speak. As quickly and concisely as possible, he filled his friend in on his plans. Ruce nodded thoughtfully as he drove, peppering Kal with small questions and concerns as the prince laid bare his intentions.

"Of course, you realize, I'm going with you," Ruce said after Kal lapsed into silence once more.

Kal shook his head. "No. I need to do this alone."

Ruce shook his own head in return. "You don't get a choice in this."

"I'd say that I do. This is my family, Ruce. I won't ask you to put yourself in danger for them."

"Well, then, it's a good thing that you don't have to ask. Kal, look, you know that you and the others are like family to me. You guys are all I have, ever since my folks died. I have every right to help you in this. And, let's face it, you need me."

"Ruce..."

"No, Kal," the young noble said, cutting the prince off before he could argue. "You do need me. One person alone isn't going to be enough. What if someone's hurt? You need a second set of hands in this."

Kal sighed and slumped in his seat. He hated to admit it, but his friend was right. He would be better off with someone else at his side. It would be for the best if he had someone to watch his back, to ensure that this desperate rescue attempt did not fail. He sighed again and consigned himself to his fate.

"Okay," he finally said, nodding. "You win. You can come."

Ruce nodded, but did not speak. He crested a small hill and there it was before them; A'ne Manor, in all its glory. The young lord quickly brought his hovercraft around the back, to one of the numerous garages that held his collection of vehicles. He pulled into the empty spot that stood waiting for them, then put the vehicle into park and killed the engine. Kal grabbed his pack from the back seat and followed his friend through the door that connected into the manor itself.

As quietly as any mouse, the two men raced through the halls, unwilling to wake any of the sleeping staff. Kal knew that Ruce's manservant, Alph, would likely inform the Supreme Lord that his fugitive son was in the manor if he caught sight of him. But at this hour, the entire place was asleep; even the kitchen was eerily silent as they passed it.

They made it to Ruce's living quarters without incident. Kal breathed a sigh of relief as the door shut behind them, releasing a breath he hadn't even realized he'd been holding. He followed Ruce into the living room, shedding his coat as he walked, then sank into the dark brown leather couch. He took a deep, calming breath. He'd made it this far. He was out of the palace. He was at A'ne Manor. He was approximately a third of the way through with his plan already. He even felt slightly ahead of the schedule he'd concocted in his mind.

"Stay here," Ruce said. "I'll see what I can do as far as disguises go."

Kal nodded his consent and dropped his head into his hands. He did not watch as Ruce left the chambers. He was absorbed wholly within his own thoughts. Were his brothers okay? Had Nor hurt them? Would he truly kill one of them if Jor-El failed to turn over his throne to him? Was Zara okay? Was Lois okay? Was she scared? Had either of the women been hurt or...violated? Kal shuddered at the thought. He wasn't a violent man by any stretch of the imagination, but he would make Nor and his brothers pay if they had laid so much as a finger on either of the women.

He nearly jumped out of his skin when Ruce spoke from behind him, so lost to his thoughts he had become. He'd never even realized how much time had passed.

"I think I found just the ticket," the man said. He came around Kal's right side and dumped a bag onto the coffee table. "What do you think?"

Kal carefully picked through the items. He studied each one as if it held the secrets of the universe, turning each object over to explore every angle. Most he placed into a pile of what he found useful. Others he disregarded. He felt bad about being overly critical, but it was absolutely vital that he was certain of every single item.

"These suits look great," he said, holding one of the black shirts up, inspecting it with a pleased, but critical eye. "Nor won't be able to tell the difference between these and the ones his own men wear."

"We don't have any of the medals or anything that the Uthor family's guards wear," Ruce said unhappily.

Kal shook his head. "It doesn't matter. The very newest of the Uthors' security guards don't have any. And I happen to know that Lux just added to his ranks about three weeks ago."

"Lucky for us."

"Well, something had to go our way," Kal said, trying to convince himself that his plan was foolproof. He gestured to the various make-ups and prosthetics that lay on the table. "You sure you know how to apply this stuff?"

Ruce made a face at Kal. "Of course I do. A'ne Endeavors created these. Now, be quite and sit still. I'll do you up first."

Kal slid to the edge of the couch. He clamped his mouth shut over the light retort that was burning on his tongue. He closed his eyes and let Ruce get to work. As his friend's hands swept over his face again and again, Kal tried to picture what the final product would look like. The prosthetics felt odd against his flesh; not quite cold but not warm either, heavy on his skin though they barely weighed anything at all. Ruce worked with an efficiency that Kal hadn't quite expected, before the prince remembered with a jolt that Ruce almost always personally tested out the products his company created. Of course he would be familiar with applying the assortment of fake scars and pockmarks.

Kal tried not to think of how much time was slipping by as he and Ruce prepared themselves for the next leg of their mission. But at last, Ruce declared Kal to be finished. Feeling relieved, the prince took the rest of his disguise into the bathroom to change. He fought the impulse to examine Ruce's handiwork in the mirror. He wanted to get the full effect once he was dressed. Quickly, he changed his clothes, then looked in the mirror.

A stranger looked back at him.

A thin, pinkish scar ran down the center of his left eye, the surrounding flesh still puckered as it healed, old though the wound appeared. A similar wound sprouted from the corner of his mouth, twisting it down to a permanent half-scowl. Raised red acne had magically popped up all over his face. His nose was a different shape altogether, longer and more bulbous. Kal smiled to himself, and watched as the stranger in the mirror did the same. He slicked back his hair, hoping to further transform himself, then slipped on a false pair of glasses.

"Perfect," he said, seeing no trace of his former self in his reflection.

It took Ruce slightly longer to get his own disguise into place. Kal gaped as he looked at his friend, once he emerged from the bathroom. Ruce was not recognizable. The twenty-seven year old looked closer to fifty, with gray hair at his temples and old battle scars randomly appearing on his face and neck. He sported a thin line of a mustache above his upper lip and a neatly trimmed, graying goatee on his chin. Some extra padding to his suit made him appear heavier than he truly was.

Kal shook his head. "Incredible," he breathed.

Ruce shot him a wry smile. "I know I am."

He knelt on the dark green carpet of the room and tied on a pair of boots before helping Kal store things into some of the extra deep pockets of their guard-suits. Kal shoved a couple of silver pouches into one pocket on his left leg; experimental energy-boosting drinks that Ruce's company was developing. A strong, slender pocket knife went into a different pocket. Ruce stuffed a small electronic device into his own pants pocket. He clipped a stun gun in a holster to his belt and handed another to Kal.

"Here," he said, as Kal took the weapon. "This dial here is the setting. A three will take down almost anyone without killing them." He gave the dial on his own gun a demonstrative twist. "A five is lethal."

Kal frowned as he looked at the weapon in his hand. He didn't like it one bit, but it was a necessary evil. With a sigh of regret that things had to be this way, he checked the setting, then holstered the gun. He promised himself that he would not draw the weapon unless it was absolutely necessary. But he also admitted to himself that he would need the weapon just to complete his disguise, if nothing else.

A few minutes later, the two men finished storing away everything they might need in their mission. Kal checked the battery life on his phone, then slipped it into his right pocket once he was satisfied. He nodded at Ruce. A nod passed between the two; the time had come. The next leg of their rescue mission was officially underway.

Back through A'ne Manor they went, hearts in their mouths. They slunk from shadow to shadow as they went, though not a single servant was to be seen. At last, they were back in the garage. Ruce selected one of his larger vehicles, one which would accommodate everyone once they freed the captives. As soon as they were clear of the garage, the young lord jammed his foot down on the gas. The hovercraft shot forward faster than Kal would have believed possible, though the new engine technology that A'ne Endeavors had created made the vehicle no louder than a baby's sigh.

"Ruce," Kal said after a moment, as his friend expertly guided the vehicle through the black night.

"Yeah?" he replied, somewhat distractedly.

"Thank you for this. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help." The words almost stuck in his throat as emotion swept over him.

"You're welcome. You know I'd do anything to help."

"I know. You've always been there when I've needed you."

"So have you," Ruce said quietly.

It did not take long to reach the Uthors' estate, Lux Manor. Ruce put the car into park half a mile away from the place, behind a screen of trees and a slight rise in the ground. It didn't fully hide the vehicle from sight, but it was the best they could hope for, and the hovercraft's dark paint job blended neatly into the night. And, more importantly, it was not in the vicinity of where Bil planned to station his team.

Out they trudged, into the bitter cold of the night, as the wind began to pick up. Kal could not get over how far the temperature had plummeted in the brief time since he had slipped out of his chambers. He wondered briefly if his absence had yet been noticed. But the thought didn't last long. It was only one searing flash across his mind, and it faded faster than the shooting stars he'd shared with Lois on the night they had fallen in love.

But the biting cold did have one distinct advantage. Not many guards were outdoors. Kal and Ruce were able to slip onto the Uthors' estate grounds without any difficulty. Finding a well-worn path of hard-packed snow indented with the impressions of numerous boot soles, they quickly blended into the patrol that was braving the elements. The few times that they passed other guards, they were given no more than a cursory glance. Such was the misery of being stuck out in the snow on duty.

As they rounded a corner of the estate, a commotion broke out. Guards went rushing out into the night. They were all yelling, but Kal couldn't make out what any one person was saying. At last, coming around a tall evergreen hedge, Kal could see a small knot of bodies engaged in a fight. He longed to know what was going on. His heart ached for whoever was on the receiving end of the punches that were being thrown; he could tell even from that distance that it was only one, maybe two, against many. He took a step towards the ruckus, then stopped as Ruce grabbed his arm.

"We can't," Ruce hissed under his breath.

"We can't just leave whoever that is."

"We have to," Ruce insisted. "This is our chance to get inside. It may be our only chance."

Both man clamped shut their mouths as Lord Ran Uthor rushed past them, his coat half hanging off in his haste. He pulled on the dangling sleeve as he went, never stopping to give Ruce and Kal so much as a sideways glance. He shouted to the guards involved in the fray, but Kal wasn't listening to what was being said. Ruce was right. This was their chance to get inside. Still, it was not without regret that Kal turned and swiftly made a beeline for the door.

The warmth of Lux Manor slapped Kal in the face like a physical blow. It was almost unbearably hot inside. He quickly pulled off his hat and unzipped his coat. He couldn't just dump the items; he'd need them again when he and the others would make their escape. Assuming he could find them. Assuming that his certainty of Nor's involvement was not misguided. He would have to make do with wearing the bulky coat indoors.

"And just what are you doing here?"

The voice came from behind them and Kal started at the unexpected sound. He turned slowly, swallowing hard as he did so. He knew the voice well, would know it in any circumstance, even if he could not see its owner. He sent out a quick prayer that his disguise would hold up. This was it. The true test had finally come. He forced down his features so that they would not reflect the node of fear that had crept back into his guts and found the familiar place it had been occupying since Lois and the others had been taken.

"Sorry?" he asked, pitching his voice deeper than it was. It sounded forced and stupid to his ears.

Jen Mai sighed in exasperation. "It's sorry, my lord," he reminded Kal, as though he'd done so a hundred times before. "I thought Lord Uthor ordered you new guards to safeguard the prisoners?"

"Oh, right," Kal said, dramatically bowing in apology. "We were just on our way. My lord."

Jen Mai arched a skeptical eyebrow and pointed. "That way," he said, shaking his head. He gestured to the opposite direction from which Kal and Ruce had been facing.

"Right. Sorry, my lord," Ruce said, coming to Kal's aid. "We got a little turned around."

"When will Lord Uthor hire people who know what they're doing?" the Elder complained under his breath. "Down the hall. Take your first two right turns. And try not to screw up anymore today."

"Yes, my lord," the two men said, bowing.

They turned from Jen Mai and hurried down the hall, trying to maintain a dignified pace even as they escaped the scrutiny of the Elder's gaze. It was difficult for Kal not to throw a glance backward. He wanted to know if the Elder was watching their progress. His breath was held within his lungs, despite his best efforts to remain calm. Seeing Jen Mai had caused his heart to seize up in his chest. He knew now that his instincts had been correct. Jen Mai was working with the Uthors, though Kal still couldn't be sure if Lux was directly involved. Though the Elder had mentioned "Lord Uthor," he could have easily been discussing Nor, Ran, or Drull.

Only sheer willpower kept Kal's body from turning around to see if the man was still watching them. From where the willpower had come, the prince couldn't say. He hadn't thought himself capable of keeping his calm collectedness, not in a situation like this. This wasn't some prickly political issue to solve. This wasn't the heat of battle, when his body seemed to act almost independently of his thoughts. This was desperation at its very worst, where Kal's mind seemed to have enough time to question his every movement.

The hall before him seemed to stretch out into eternity. Every step forward seemed to make the distance between himself and his goal become somehow torturously longer, not shorter. So, it was with immense relief that he finally reached the first right turn and moved out of the possibility of Jen Mai's watchful eyes. The new section of hall seemed a veritable sanctuary, and his aching lungs finally spilled out the breath they had been holding. They passed a few patrolling guards, but no one stopped them. There was nothing notable about the two brand-new guards, and so there was no reason to bother with them. Before long, Kal and Ruce reached the second right turn and froze in their tracks as they rounded the corner.

Lux and Nor Uthor were emerging from behind a hidden door. Their backs were to Ruce and Kal as they shut the door behind them. Kal backed up one step before he realized his feet were moving. He forced himself to stop and watch the two lords before him, memorizing where the door was before it faded into a perfect camouflage with the surrounding wall. The thought occurred to him that he should flee to the safety of the hallway he'd just left. Fresh worries seared through his mind. Would his disguise hold up? What if Nor and his father stayed around the area? How would he and Ruce find a way to get to the captives then?

As the prince debated these things in his mind, the two men turned and saw Kal and Ruce. Lux fixed them with a cold stare. Kal felt as if his entire disguise was stripped away, leaving him naked and vulnerable before the powerful lord. Powerful and evil, Kal knew now. The simple fact that he'd seen Lux emerge from a hidden door with his son confirmed for Kal the unhappy knowledge that the man was also in on the kidnapping and extortion plot.

Kal didn't turn away from Lux's piercing gaze, even as he heard the pounding of feet coming from behind him. To turn was to admit fear. To turn was to admit wrongdoing. And he refused to blow his cover for any reason.

The squeaking of wet boot soles on the marble seemed painfully loud to Kal's ears, but at least it served to divert Lux and Nor's attentions. Both men's heads snapped up to look at the guard that came running up.

"My lords," the man said, breathless from his sprint through the immense mansion.

"What is it now?" Lux growled in annoyance.

"We've been breached!"

"Breached?" Nor asked. "Explain."

Kal's heart nearly stopped. Had someone noticed them? Had the dots been connected? It was a fight to keep his features neutral, on the chance that the man was not actually speaking about Ruce and himself.

"Two of Jor-El's security guards tried to sneak onto the estate. And there is a small contingent of their men snooping around to the south."

"What?!" Lux roared, his dark eyes flashing with unrestrained fire. Kal had rarely ever seen the man lose his temper before, and now that he was witnessing it, it sent a jolt of fear into his heart.

"My men apprehended the two trying to sneak in from the east side. They were disguised as our own."

"They must know...or at least, suspect," Nor muttered to his father.

"It would seem so." Lux sighed as his composure returned. His gaze flickered from his son to the security guard again. "Where are they now?"

"The main hall," the man said. "They were only just brought in now. We are awaiting your command."

"Very well," Lux replied evenly. "Let's see just what they thought they were doing. Have them brought to my study."

Nor nodded. "You two!" he snapped, pointing at Ruce and Kal. "Don't just stand there staring!"

"Yes, my lord," Ruce said when Kal failed to speak. "What would you ask of us?"

"Guard this hall," the man all but spat at them. "No one comes down here, period. Kill anyone who does. I don't care if it is one of your own. Do you understand me?"

"Of course, my lord," Ruce said, bowing his head slightly.

"Good. If you fail me, I will have your heads."

"Yes, my lord," Kal said, finally finding his voice, despite his parched mouth. "Of course." He only just barely remembered to put on his feigned deeper voice.

Not another word was said to them as Lux and Nor followed after the guard who had sought them out. Kal watched them as they disappeared around the corner, and strained his ears to listen to their retreating footsteps. When they were truly gone from the area, he allowed himself a small sigh of relief.

"That was close," he whispered to Ruce. "I thought for sure they recognized me."

"I thought so too for a second there," Ruce admitted. "Now, how do we get this door open?"

"There has to be a switch or something," Kal said, examining the wall before them.

The short hall branched off to a T intersection before them. And in the center of it lay the hidden door, though it was so expertly placed that it was nearly impossible to tell that it was there. Kal approached the wall and ran his hands over the expensive cherry-colored wood. He knew the wood had been imported from the furthest planet that Krypton had trade routes with, and that it cost close to ten times more than any other wood because of how hard it was to come by. Most of Lux Manor used the same type of wood, and Kal calculated that the wood in just this hallway alone cost more than most commoners made in a year.

"It has to be here somewhere," he mumbled to himself, growing more anxious by the moment. "Come on. Come on. Come on. Where are you?" He was talking to the wall now, as if pleading with it would magically make the door spring open.

His questing fingers glided over the decorative pieces that had been carved into the wood. As they caressed the image of a majestic stag, the antlers gave way beneath his touch. There was a soft, but audible click, and the door silently swung open towards them.

"Nice work," Ruce commended him. "What did you touch?"

Kal showed him the secret switch he'd accidently discovered. "Let's go."

"After you."

Lights shone beyond the doorway, illuminating a metal staircase leading down to some underground area. The stairs were so crude, so stark and unadorned, that it was hard to conceive of them being part of Lux Manor at all. Kal took a deep breath and crossed over the threshold. Down the stairs he went, while Ruce followed, shutting the secret door tightly behind him. Exquisite wooden walls gave way to naked stone, and the almost summery warmth of the mansion was quickly vanquished by a frigid iciness that rivaled the outdoors. Kal shivered a little as he descended the steps, but he did not slow to do so much as pull his coat tighter against his body. Every footstep set the metal beneath his toes ringing, and the surrounding stone threw the noise back at him.

At last, he reached the floor. A wall ran along both of his sides, but the left side quickly opened up and spilled into another chamber. A chamber filled with cells. Four were occupied. One stood empty. The closest of the imprisoned bodies were huddled with their backs to him, trying to share body heat as best they could between the bars that separated them from their neighbors. At his approach though, four heads snapped up to peer at him, eyes wide and wondering what new indignities they would be forced to suffer.

Kal's knees nearly buckled in relief when he recognized his loved ones.

He had to grip the bars of Lois' cell to steady himself after stumbling forward. Instantly, she was on her feet, her dark eyes flashing. She punched his fingers as hard as she could and Kal's mouth dropped open in surprise, as he momentarily forgot his disguise.

"Get away," she said, her voice as hard and cold as the stone and metal that held her prisoner. "Just get away from us."

"Lois," he said, his voice going soft as the fear in his body started to once more uncoil. "It's me."

"Me," she sneered, obviously not impressed by his eloquence. "You all look the same to me. Just as mean and stupid as the men you work for."

"Lois," he said, trying again. "It's Kal. By Rao, I've been so worried about you."

Lois seemed to recognize his voice this time, though she looked dubiously at him. "Kal?" she finally ventured to ask. "Is that really you?"

"It's really me," he said, giving her a lopsided grin. He removed his false glasses, hoping she'd recognize him a little better.

His wife's face broke out into a huge smile. "It is you! Oh, Kal, I knew you'd come."

"Are you okay?" Kal asked, looking her over for any outward signs of injury. "Did they hurt you? Did they touch you?"

Lois shook her head. "I'm fine. But Zara needs a doctor."

"Zara?" he asked, looking over to the next cell, where Ching's wife lay on the floor, looking up at him with wide eyes. He could not miss the dark stain of blood covering the front of her pants. "Oh no. Was it...?"

"Another miscarriage," Zara said, her eyes brimming with unshed tears as she looked away from him. Her voice sounded calm, but hollow to Kal's ears; not quite accepting of the situation, but somehow resigned to the fact that she had lost another baby.

"I'm so sorry, Zara." Kal's gaze swept over the cages. "I've been going out of my mind with worry for you guys. So has Dad." His eyes moved again to Lois. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too. I was so relieved when I realized Uthor's men hadn't gotten you too."

Kal pressed against the bars of Lois' cell and she did the same. A second later, their lips met in a deep, desperate kiss. Kal felt life returning to his destroyed heart, felt the fragile, jagged pieces reassembling themselves within his chest. Just seeing, hearing, feeling his wife was enough to erase all the sorrow he'd been carrying. He could feel Lois' hot tears as they rolled down her cheeks and met his own flesh. He raised his hands to cup her face through the bars and gently wiped the salty droplets away.

"Sssh. Sssh. It's okay," he whispered against her lips as they both broke to take a breath. "I'm here now. I won't let anything else happen to you, I promise."

"Oh, by the way," Jai said from his cell, his voice edging towards panic, "the rest of us are just fine, thanks for asking."

"Ruce and I will get you out of here," Kal swore, reluctantly stepping away from Lois.

"Good to see you, little brother. But Lux has the keys," Ching said, standing at the door of his cage, gripping the bars with white-knuckled intensity, though his eyes were solely fixed on his own wife.

"Figures," Kal said, eyeing the locks on the cells and replacing the frames on his face.

Of course Lux had gone with old fashioned lock and key setups for the makeshift prison. Most people had stopped using such antiquated technology centuries ago. Key cards had been all the rage for a long time, and many still used that system, though biometric readers had recently come into vogue. Kal found himself wishing that Lux had used any of the electronic systems to lock the doors. Ruce had a number of small devices on him that were capable of short-circuiting such systems. It would have allowed them to open the cages within seconds.

"Can you get us out?" Jai asked, his face stark white in terror. Kal couldn't even begin to imagine what had spooked his baby brother so badly.

"I'll find a way," Kal assured him. "In the meantime, here." He withdrew the small silver pouches that he'd stuffed into his pockets. He handed each of them one. "It's an energy drink. I'm guessing you need it."

In truth, they each looked haggard. Kal imagined they probably hadn't gotten much, if any, sleep, not in such dire cold conditions. And there was no evidence that they had been fed either. He knew the energy drinks would be just what they needed. It would afford them enough energy to get out of Lux Manor and back home to the palace, where they would properly be cared for. Plus, it had the added benefit of warming a person from the inside out, though A'ne Endeavors had deemed that a flaw with the formula, and was still actively working to fix what the company saw as a major problem.

Ruce took out one of the small devices he'd taken with him. He went first to Zara's cell. A wide blue laser shot out from the device, and he quickly scanned her body. A few seconds later, he read the result on the tiny screen, then moved on to the next cell. He nodded thoughtfully as each reading flashed on screen.

"No injuries," he announced to Kal. "Some trace amounts of a powerful tranquilizer in their systems. Not enough to be of any concern now. But Zara needs to get to a doctor regardless."

Kal nodded absently, still eyeing the locks. He hadn't planned for this. He'd anticipated electronic ones. But it made sense, in a weird, twisted way. Lux loved technology, and was often one of the first people to try out a new product. But he also had a fondness for antiques. And the locks Kal was looking at now certainly counted as antiques.

Finally, a thought occurred to the prince, and he reached for his pocket knife. Flipping it open, he inserted the blade into the lock on Lois' cell. For five long minutes, he worked at it, trying to find the sweet spot that would allow him to unlock the inner mechanism. His heart thudded so loudly against his ribs that he was certain the entire manor must have been able to hear it.

With one final attempt, he twisted the knife and was rewarded with a satisfying click. In the next instant, Lois had the door open and was in his arms. He held her tightly to himself, and felt all his inner darkness fading away with the sunlight she brought to his life. Judging by the way her arms tightened around his neck, he was certain she felt the same way.

After a long moment, he disentangled himself from his wife's embrace. Ruce had followed his lead, and already had Zara's door unlocked. The young lord stepped inside the cage and helped the princess from the floor, allowing her to lean on him as she stood. Kal didn't stop to watch. He began to work at Ching's lock, his hands shaking and clumsy from the cold in the room and from trying to work too fast. He was all too aware of how long it had been since he and Ruce had discovered the hidden prison chamber.

"Easy, Kal," Ching said, trying to calm his younger brother's nerves. "Slow and steady."

Kal shook his head. "We've only got a very short window of time to get you guys out of here. There was a plan to send in a couple of Bil's men to find you, but they got caught. Lux and Nor went to interrogate them. Who knows how long that might last? We have to move now."

Another frenzied shove at the lock finally opened it. Kal sighed in relief. In the next second, the door to Ching's cell swung open and he was crossing the distance to Zara. Kal watched as his brother embraced his wife. He saw the tears flowing anew from Zara's eyes, and his heart broke once more for them. Ching held Zara tightly to him, his hand stroking her head, trying to impact some comfort to her - comfort she'd been denied as they had sat in their separate cells. Kal heard Zara say something as she buried her head into Ching's chest, but it was too muffled to make out over the rapid beating of Kal's own heart.

"I know," Ching murmured, his voice barely audible. "I'm so sorry. Sssh. Sssh. It's okay. I'm here. I've got you."

Zara moaned in anguish, a soul-twisting sound. Kal could see the shaking of her shoulders as she wept.

"I promise you," Ching said, rubbing her back, "we will have a healthy baby one day. I'll find a way. Some treatment. Something. I promise."

His heart breaking for the couple, Kal forced himself to look away. He had to stay focused. Time was passing by. The longer they stayed in the dungeon, the greater the chance was that their rescue mission would be discovered. And that was a chance they could not afford to take.

"How are you doing over there, Ruce?" Kal asked, a hint of impatience creeping into his voice, despite his efforts to tamp it down.

"Almost there," the man replied.

Ruce was already working on Jai's cage, as the man inside paced restlessly. Kal knew that something was wrong, something deeper than just their confinement, based on Jai's erratic movements and colorless face. He wanted to ask. He really did. But he had to keep Jai focused on their escape. Ruce swore under his breath as he worked at picking the lock until it finally opened. The door to the cell swung open with a loud groan.

"Thank you," Jai said gratefully. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

"Jai," Kal said, taking his brother by the shoulders and shaking him gently. "Jai, look at me. I need you to focus now, okay? We need to get out of here. I need you to help me now, all right? Can you do that for me?

Kal discreetly shot a look at Ching. An unspoken message passed between the two brothers in that glance. Ching nodded his head slightly.

Jai's eyes finally focused on Kal. The man swallowed hard and nodded. "Okay. I'll try."

"Good. I want you to help Zara, okay?"

Kal knew that he needed to get Jai to focus on a task, any task. He needed to stop fixating on whatever had so badly unnerved him. Helping Zara would give Jai something to do. And, Kal knew, if it came to a fight, he would need Ching free to fight. He was a much better fighter than Jai was, and the best shot with a gun out of the three of them.

"Okay," Jai said again.

"Good man. Let's get out of here."

Ruce led the way back up the metal stairs, this time going slowly so as to minimize the noise they were making. Zara leaned heavily on Jai, in pain or from her grief, Kal couldn't tell. Lois followed the pair, then Ching, with Kal bringing up the rear. At the top of the stairs, Ruce cautiously opened the door a crack, just enough to be able to survey the hallway. Kal knew it to be utterly abandoned as the man pushed the door open further, then slipped out into the hall.

"Hurry," he whispered back, the sound bouncing off the stone walls. He waved them on with one hand for emphasis. "The coast is clear."

Like silent ghosts, they all slipped out into the hallway, one by one. Kal closed the door behind him, sealing off the hidden chamber as though it had never been. Ruce led the group down to the first intersection, then cautiously checked the hall it connected with. He glanced over his shoulder, his gaze sweeping over everyone. Then he nodded, unwilling to make a single unnecessary noise. As a unit, they all moved forward, hearts in their mouths.

The trip back down this section of hall seemed somehow impossibly longer to Kal than it had been when he'd been trying to find his family. He flexed his fingers, brushing them against the grip of the gun hanging holstered at his side. His nerves were balanced on a knife's edge as they rounded the corner and began to traverse that last, vital section of the hall. After that, they would be out in the open. Kal only hoped luck would favor them and that no one would be there to witness their escape. The hall had seemed to stretch into eternity earlier, when Jen Mai had sent Ruce and Kal on their way. Now, it felt as though it took only two short steps to reach the end. Ruce stopped and peered out into the open expanse of the mansion's sizable entranceway.

"Guards," he whispered back. "Let's wait a moment."

Kal could hear voices speaking out in the main chamber, but he could not see them. Ruce pointed; the men were off to the left, hidden behind the wall. Kal tried to listen to what the guards were saying, but he could not make it out as the voices echoed in the vast, open space, the sounds tumbling over one another until they knotted into an unintelligible mess. Another voice cut in, barking orders Kal couldn't quite catch. He heard the squeaking of wet boots on the floor as the men began to move.

"They're being sent out, probably to deal with Bil's men in the south," Ruce whispered again. "Let's go, while there's still time."

They moved out from their meager shelter, darting across the open floor. With great care and all speed, they made for the door that would take them outside, hopefully beyond the gaze of any of the guards, though Kal didn't hold much hope for that. Chances were great that the watch on the estate grounds had been doubled, now that Bilan's men had been discovered. He wasn't naive enough to believe that all the guards had been sent to the southern end of the estate.

Kal also knew it was only a matter of time before someone noticed what was going on.

They had almost attained the door when Lord Nor came striding down the grand staircase in the middle of the room. He gave a bestial roar as he caught sight of the fleeing captives. Kal's hand shot to his weapon. He drew it from its holster and pressed it into Ching's hand, along with his phone.

"Kal? What are you doing?" the crown prince asked.

"Take it. You need it more than I do. Get them out of here, Ching. Please, make sure Lois stays safe. And...tell Dad that I'm sorry."

Ruce opened his mouth to speak, to take Kal's place as the diversion. But before he could, Kal pushed the gun and phone firmly into his brother's hands. Then he ran. Away from his family. Straight towards Nor.

A yell erupted from Kal's throat as he rushed towards his foe. All of his focus was aimed at the young lord before him. He pushed all thoughts of his family from his mind. He needed a clear head for this battle, more than he'd ever needed it before. Kal ducked his body at the last moment, bending at the waist, and plowed his shoulder directly into Nor's midsection, driving the air from his lungs. He crashed into Nor with all the force he could muster, and succeeded in sending the man sprawling.

Kal chanced a look back, and saw his family watching, mouths open. "Go!" he ordered them. "Get out while you can!"

Ching seemed indecisive for a split second, but then he nodded and ushered everyone towards the doors. Kal breathed a sigh of relief before turning back to face his old rival.

"You," Nor said, staggering to his feet and wheezing out the words furiously. "I don't know who you are, but I will kill you for this."

Kal opened his mouth to make a retort, but did not get the chance as Nor aimed a blow at his face. The prince barely missed receiving a punch to his jaw. But Nor's fury had been stoked to levels Kal had never before seen, not from Nor, not from anyone. It made the man even more volatile and unpredictable than normal. Kal recognized that fact too late. But it didn't matter to him. What mattered was that he keep Nor busy. What mattered was that the people he loved got to safety. Looking at the fire burning in Nor's eyes, Kal knew it would be nothing short of a miracle if he survived this encounter. He was oddly at peace with that knowledge. He would happily lay down his own life to ensure that the others made it home, safe and sound.

Nor lunged, striking Kal in the center of his chest. The prince staggered back three steps, reeling from the force of the impact. His body exploded into pain from the hit but before he could even wonder if anything was broken, Nor was on him again, tackling him to the ground. The prince felt his bad knee pop and twist into an excruciating position. He could not stifle the sharp cry of pain that bubbled up into his throat and out passed his lips. Kal rolled, trying to get off his back, trying to pin Nor to the ground to subdue him, but the pain in his leg hobbled even that simple movement at first, until Kal funneled all his efforts into it.

The two men tussled on the floor, rolling one over the other again and again in an effort to gain the upper hand. Nor shouted for back-up, but he'd misjudged the placement of his guards. Most of the men had been sent back out into the cold night to keep a lookout for any further intruders. No one came to his aid as he yelled.

Rolling Kal once again onto his back, Nor took advantage of his position to slug Kal in the face. The right lens of the false glasses cracked into a spider-webbing of thin fractures, though it did not shatter. They were the only things that protected the prince's face from taking the hit. Nor growled and ripped the frames from Kal's face, throwing them halfway across the room. His hand flew up to the prosthetic scar above Kal's eye, hoping to deal some damage to the wound. As his fingers reached the phony scar and touched the rubbery "flesh," a look of surprise crossed the young nobleman's face. In the next moment, he was ripping the scar from Kal's face, heedless of the fact that some of Kal's actual skin was being removed along with the false skin.

"Kal-El," Nor said, smirking, as the prince's face started to become recognizable. "What a pleasant surprise. At least I'll get to kill you. In fact, I think I'll kill you last, once my men recapture the rest of your pathetic family. I want you to watch as they suffer and die at my hands."

"Touch my family again and I'll rip you apart with my bare hands," Kal spat back, muscles straining as he sought a way to break Nor's vice-like grip on him.

But Nor was too strong, even for Kal, and he had a better vantage than the prince did at any rate. He forced the prince's head up, then smashed it against the marble floor. Stars exploded before Kal's eyes and his head rang. He managed to reflexively kick out, his knee colliding with Nor's body, right in his stomach. A look of pain shot across Nor's face, and Kal took the opportunity he had been given. Shoving aside his own pain, Kal struck out. His fist crashed into Nor's jaw with a sickening crunch. Both men heard the snap of bone, and Kal wondered if he'd broken his own knuckles in the process as pain shot up the entire length of his arm.

Still, the injury barely slowed the prince's rival. Despite himself, Kal was, in a strange, remote way, impressed. Nor grabbed Kal by the throat, his grip like steel around the soft, vulnerable flesh. Kal blindly tried to reach for the pocketknife in his pocket, but his angle was bad and he could not reach it. That did not stop him from continuing to try, and Nor was too distracted to notice.

"I could crush your throat right now," Nor gloated over him. "It wouldn't take much." He spoke through gritted teeth against the shattered bones of his lower jaw. His grip tightened a notch to prove his point. "But that would be far too easy on you."

Again and again, Nor smashed Kal's head into the hard, solid floor. Kal's head erupted into a steady stream of agony and his vision faded to flashes of Nor interspersed with flashes of white-hot, searing nothingness. Time seemed to stand still as he tried to fight the abuse his body was suffering, though part of him knew he'd been fighting Nor for only a minute or two, at the most. Kal kept striking out with his fist, pummeling it against Nor, in the man's face, in his chest, wherever he managed to land a blow, while his other hand kept questing for the knife he had hidden away in his pocket. Darkness encroached on the edges of Kal's mind. It was a fight just to remain conscious.

At last, Kal worked the pocketknife free and flicked the blade open. With a roar that matched the burst of strength he had worked up against Nor, he pushed his assailant back enough to stop the next attempt to hurl his head into the cold, solid floor. But his vision was hazy with hurt and the darkness that beckoned him to surrender himself. He relied on instinct alone as he slashed with the weapon. It took Nor across his cheek; Kal was rewarded with a hiss of pain, a sharp curse, and a line of torn and bleeding flesh on Nor's face. Kal stabbed, and only just missed impaling Nor's left eye.

Nor roared in response to Kal's actions. With a backhanded swing, he sent Kal's knife flying. The weapon raced across the smooth floor, spinning as it went, like a child's toy gone wrong. In the next instant, Nor pulled his own knife. The blade inched closer and closer to Kal's exposed throat. Kal reached up and grabbed Nor's wrist, making his grip as tight as he could while wrenching it from side to side, in a desperate attempt to break free from the deadly position he was in, though his vision began to swim in and out of focus. He forced his feet into Nor's midsection, and attempted to flip the man off him. But his damaged knee buckled at the movement, and Kal bit back a cry of pain.

The prince gave one final twist to Nor's wrist. He must have hit a nerve, for the lord's fingers suddenly released their grip on the knife. Nor made an attempt to grab it with his other hand, but Kal was faster and knocked it away to join the pocketknife several feet away on the floor. He didn't want to use the weapon; the chance was too great that Nor might somehow wrest it from him to use on him again. It wouldn't take much, as Kal tenuously held on to his rapidly fading consciousness. Again, Nor forced Kal's head into the marble floor. Kal only just barely held on to consciousness, blacking out for a second before he pulled himself to alertness once more. He managed a weak punch to Nor's already shattered jawbone.

The punch took the last remnants of Kal's energy. His injuries were getting the best of him. Nor's grip fastened about his throat and Kal found that he did not have the strength to fight, though he dearly wanted to. But suddenly, Nor lurched forward. His grip relaxed and his eyes rolled up into his head. His mouth went slack and he keeled over to one side.

That was the last thing Kal saw before his eyes closed and nothingness washed over him.

Above Nor, Lois stood rubbing her elbow. The sheer force she'd used to smash into the back of Nor's head had been hard enough to jar her entire arm and most of her body. A stinging pain bloomed. But she did not stop to tend to her pain. She bent and retrieved Nor's gun from where it hung at his side. She trained the barrel on Nor's unconscious form, just in time. Lux Uthor came rushing down the stairs, mercifully unarmed, Lois could see. She placed her finger on the trigger, and swiveled her eyes back to Lux's son.

"Not another step," she threatened. "Or I'll blow his head off."

Her voice quavered the slightest bit as she spoke. Her heart was thudding faster than she had ever thought possible. It had been, ever since she had thrown a glance back at Kal, seen him struggling, and made the split-second decision to run back to his aid, before Ching or any of the others noticed her absence. Now, however, her concern lay solely with her husband.

"Kal?" she called to him. "Kal? Come on, answer me. Please, answer me."

He did not answer, did not stir. Lois fought down the bubble of panic that rose within her. She chanced a glance at his unmoving body, and was relieved to see that his chest still rose and fell with breath, labored though it seemed. Her eyes flickered back to Nor.

"Come now," Lux said, his voice as smooth as the finest silk. "You don't really think that you have the guts to pull that trigger, do you? Do you really think I believe it?"

Lux took another measured step forward. Lois met his eyes, her own blazing.

"Care to test that theory?" she said, her voice as cold as the ice and snow beyond the walls of the mansion.

Lux's hands went up in a gesture of pacification. But he also stopped moving, much to Lois' relief. She tried to tell herself that she really would kill Nor if she had to, but wasn't so sure Lux was incorrect in his assessment. She wasn't made of strong enough stuff to take a life, was she?

"I'm sure we can talk this out," Lux said. His voice was still soft and steady in an attempt to appease her.

"I'm sure that we can't," she shot back.

On the floor in front of her, Nor groaned and began to stir. His eyes flickered open and his hand automatically flew up to touch the tender spot on the back of his head. Lois redoubled her grip on the gun.

"Don't move," she hissed. "Not unless you want to die today."

Nor twisted his head ever so slightly to look at her. He stopped cold when he saw his weapon in her hands and the hardened look on her face. But his eyes were calculating. Lois could see that much at least. She wished Kal would wake up. She needed his help. She felt certain he would know what to do. But he still wasn't moving at all, his breathing the only outward sign that he was still among the living.

Footsteps sounded behind her. Lois' heart seized up with dread. This was it. She was about to die, along with Kal. She hadn't even had the chance to tell him one last time that she loved him. She hadn't been allowed one final kiss, one she would have committed to memory in every single way. She hadn't been afforded a farewell. She hadn't gotten to make love to him one last time. She'd never had the chance to start a family with him. She would never know what it would be like to grow old with him.

All of these regrets seared through her mind in a flash. And yet, she was grateful for all the time she had been given with Kal. She was thankful for the love she'd found with him. She was happy she'd given him a second chance. She was thankful for the way he'd accepted her, as she was, and for all the encouragement he'd given her to be herself.

An involuntary shudder ran up her spine as she listened to the pounding footsteps behind her. But she did not pull her gaze away, did not close her eyes as she awaited the inevitable. She merely moved her vision from Nor's face to Kal's. If she was to die, she would do so looking at the man who held her heart; her husband and her best friend.

"I love you, Kal," she whispered.

"Nobody move!"

Lois' knees nearly gave way beneath her as she recognized the voice. Bilan Hend'son. She'd only met him a few brief times, but she would know that voice anywhere. Her heart leapt in her throat. They were saved, if indeed it was not too late for her husband.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon