Clark and Lois – The Lost Years - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 3

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously –

So, here they were. He could have confronted her very easily but instead of that he wanted her to take the initiative. He wanted her to ‘catch’ him but was still unsure how to go about it. While mulling this over he continued to watch as the crates were unloaded and stacked on the dock and pretended not to know that she was there.

When all of the crates had been off loaded, trucks came in and a crew of longshoremen loaded the crates onto them. When the trucks moved out they did so at a walking pace which Charlie was able to keep up with easily even with the need to remain concealed. He tracked Lois as she followed both him and the trucks. She was keeping both of them in sight. The trucks only moved a short distance to the warehouse area adjacent to the docks. Charlie noted that the warehouse in question was one of the ones he had identified as belonging to L&M Enterprises. There was a crew there to unload the trucks. When all of the crates had been moved into the warehouse the crew was paid off and dismissed. The boss closed up, locked the warehouse and left.

Lois had been watching this interloper’s actions this whole time. In the dark she couldn’t tell who it was. The dark clothes and the dark knit hat effectively disguised him. Of course the same could probably be said of her. She decided that it was time to *confront* this *person*. <This is *my* investigation. Who is this horning in on *me* this way? I *have* to find out. Okay, but how do I do that little thing?> How to go about it, that was the question. She didn’t have very much with her in the way of weapons. That really wasn’t her ‘thing’ anyhow. She reached into her pocket and found that she had a tube of lipstick. <How did that get there? Oh well, if that’s all I’ve got that’s what I have to use. Let’s see … >

Charlie sensed that Lois’ heartbeat had slowed when the activity around the warehouse had stopped and the crew had left. As soon as the boss left he heard it kicking up again. <Okay, here she comes.> He could hear her moving up behind him, but he didn’t let on that he heard her.

Suddenly Charlie felt a round object, which could very well have been the barrel of a gun, thrust into his back and he heard her whisper, “Don’t move. No funny business. I’ve got you covered. Put your hands in the air and stand up, slowly.”

And now –

Chapter 11 – Partners?

Charlie raised his hands and slowly stood up. She was still behind him pressing the ‘gun’ into his back. <I have to be careful not to move any faster than a normal human would move when I use the ‘Windmill’ technique. I also need to be sure I don’t hurt her when I make my move.> When he reached his full stature he swept his left arm down and around in a windmill motion as he spun his body to the left away from the ‘gun’ which was pressed into his right side of his back. He continued the windmill motion until his forearm impacted her ‘gun’ arm and pushed it away and up. Simultaneously his right arm was moving, crossing over in front of his face and sweeping down so that his right hand could close over her right forearm just as he would be fully facing his opponent. As soon as his right hand closed over her forearm his left hand turned palm up so that he could grab and remove the ‘weapon’ from her hand.

Charlie kept hold of her right arm as he looked at the ‘weapon’ that he now had in his hand. He started to laugh and said, “Lipstick!! What are you planning to do, kiss me to death?” As soon as the sentence was out of his mouth he knew he was in trouble. His French accent had disappeared in reflex.

There was enough light in the warehouse area for Clark’s enhanced vision to see the sheepish look on her face. That was his Lois, audacious.

With Lois held tightly in his arms his self control started to crumble. All he could think of was her, her nearness, her soft curves, her lips. He pulled her in close, put his arms around her and leaned in and claimed her lips in a kiss.

It was so dark that Lois still could not distinguish who this was and when he pulled her into his arms she was startled. When she felt his lips on hers her eyes flew wide open. For a second she was frozen in place. This was totally unexpected. This wasn’t a violent attack like she had suspected might happen. A violent attack she could have dealt with more easily. A knee to the groin could subdue most male attackers. This non-violent attack however gave her pause. <Who does he think he is??? What does he think he is doing??? Come on Lane – think! Fight him off!>

She started hitting him. She didn’t have enough room to ‘wind up’ to deliver a good reverse punch and her arms were trapped between her body and his so she started hitting his chest with her balled up fists in hammer fist type blows. Right, left, right left, right left in rapid succession. <His lips, on mine, so insistent, so soft, so good so> right … left … right … left … not so rapidly now. Not quite so hard. <He isn’t letting up, but, do I want him to let up?>

Slowly she realized that she was feeling a familiar tingle at the contact. The same tingle she got with … <Charlie?!?!> She stopped hitting him and placed her hands flat on his chest. <No, I don’t want him to let up. This feels soooo gooood.> Her arms slid up and around his neck. <His tongue, its touching my lips. He wants me to open my mouth.>

She closed her eyes and parted her lips. His tongue slowly entered her mouth. <He tastes soooo goooooodddd. Ahhhhhhhhh> A moan of pleasure sounded in the back of her throat. Her hands moved up and dislodged his knit cap and she twined her fingers in his hair as their tongues started a gentle duel. <So soft and silky. His kiss, soooooo niicccceee. . MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....> All conscious thought had ceased. She was in a blissful haze which required no thought.

Suddenly he wasn’t there. His lips had left hers. She was frozen in place, eyes closed, head tilted slightly back, lips parted. She was dazed and confused. After several seconds she opened her eyes. There he was, only six inches away. He was saying something but she couldn’t make it out. All she could see was his lips and she wanted them. She wanted to devour them. She tried to push her hands back around his neck and tried to close that six inch distance so that she could return to that blissful state that she was so unceremoniously yanked from by his departure, but he had hold of her hands and he was making her keep her distance. He was still saying something to her. Slowly what he is saying filtered through her blissful haze. At first it didn’t make any sense, but he kept repeating it. “ap ou of it. Ome on, nap out of it. Come on, snap out of it. Come on. We can’t stay here all night. We’ve got work to do. Come on.”

“Whaa? Where? Huh? Oh, Okay. Okay. Yeah, work to do. Work to do? What, what do we have to do?”

“Come on, we have to get into that warehouse.”

“Huh? Get into the warehouse? What warehouse? What are you talking about? What happened to your French accent?”

“We have to get in there, open some crates and check the contents. I’ll explain everything later.” <I need to get her grounded again.>

“What, … what for?”

“We need some serial numbers off the weapons so that we can check back on their history. See who bought and sold them.” <Focus her attention on the job.>

She was finally starting to come out of her dazed state. “Wait a minute. Who died and left you in charge? I’ve been working this investigation. I’d been planning on doing just that before I was so distracted and now you’re trying to take over! Alright, let’s go do this but we have got a *lot* to talk about later, buster and you had *better* have a really good explanation! I’m by no means done with you yet!”

She heard a growl that she though said, “I hope not.”

Charlie was relieved, thinking <Whew, she’s finally back with the program. I’m glad I have super will power or I might have been as disoriented as she was. Funny, I had less trouble resisting Suzanne and Colette. As it is, it was a near thing. If I hadn’t broken that kiss when I did, there’s no telling where it would have led.>

It was the work of only a few minutes to find a back door to the warehouse and once they did Lois pulled out a small kit from her back pocket and selected a couple of small implements. She immediately went to work on the lock and within just a few seconds she had managed to pick the lock. Impressed with her lock picking skills Charlie said, “Very impressive, you must do this a lot!” Once inside Charlie found a crowbar and pried off the lids of a couple of crates. He pulled out some weapons and read off the serial numbers to Linda and she wrote them down along with the weapon descriptions. Lying on the top of the pile of crates was a manifest which simply read “Farming Implements … 25 cases”.

Charlie took out a miniature camera and took a picture of the manifest and the weapons. After replacing the crate lids, they exited the way they had entered. <I already know that this story was never filed, but I have to act like it’s the most important thing I have to do and do it right.>

Charlie led the way back the way they had come to the dock.

She asked, “Why are we *here*? I thought we *had* what we needed.” <What is he up to?>

He replied, “I need to get a copy of the bill of lading. That’s what we need to track the shipment back to its point of origin.”

Lois asked, “And just *how* are we supposed to do that? I was planning to raid the Metropolis office of the shipping line to get that when I got back.” <Where is he going with this?>

Charlie said matter-of-factly, “This’ll be easier, it should be in the purser’s office.”

Lois replied sarcastically, “Easier? Really? How do you propose we get in there, assuming we even know where that is so that we can get a look at it? Just walk up and ask pretty please? Trust me, my way will probably be easier.” <What could he be thinking?>

Charlie replied, “No, I don’t think so. I’m going to sneak aboard and since I’m familiar with this particular type of ship and its compartment layout I should be able to find it with little difficulty. I’ll use the camera to film that document as well so that we have both the Manifest and the Bill of Lading.” <I can get in find the purser’s office and be out in a short time and avoid the watch easily.>

<Now, he’s talking *my* language! I want to go too!> Linda replied emphatically, “Okay, you may be right but not without me you don’t. This is still my investigation. I’m going with you.”

From his association with the other Lois he knew a losing battle when he saw one. <I could argue with her on this till the cows come home and not change her mind. I guess that discretion being the better part of valor I need to give in.> “Okay, but stay close to me. They’ll have a watch on the gangway so we’ll have to climb the bow hawser.” Suiting his actions to his words he moved to the bow and indicated a line that was about eight inches in diameter. “You go first and that way if you have a problem I can help you out.” <This is going to slow me up, but, oh well; at least she’s with me and this way I can protect her.>

They started to climb the hawser which sloped up at about a sixty degree angle. Lois basically sat astride of it and pulled herself up. She would lean forward and grasp the line and pull herself up, and then she would lock her legs around the line and repeat the process until she reached the upper deck. She thought <I’m glad I stay in shape with Tae Kwon Do and the Stairmaster. It really is paying off.> She was very pleased with her performance.

She was joined on deck a few seconds later by Charlie. When they arrived on deck they were in a sheltered area of the forecastle and in the dark it was unlikely that they would be seen. By the time she had completed the climb she needed a minute or two to recover from the exertion. Charlie was surprised and pleased that she had not had any serious difficulty with the climb. He said, “I’m impressed. There aren’t too many women that could perform that feat as easily as you just did. You really stay in shape.” He completed silently, <In more ways than one. She is going to be a partner worthy of a superman.> “How do you do it?”

“Tae Kwon Do, I have my brown belt. I’m going to want you to teach me that move you used on me. Where’d you learn it?”

“Oh, I’ve picked up a few moves here and there.”

After a couple of minutes she had recovered and they moved aft. With his superhearing Charlie heard a crewman heading in their direction. Before he came within sight Charlie grabbed Linda and pulled her into a companionway to avoid being seen by him. This took Linda by surprise and not knowing the reason her temper flared at being man-handled that way. She knew that she was in ‘enemy’ territory and that she needed to be quiet but that didn’t keep her from hissing at him, “What do you think you’re doing?” He clamped a hand over her mouth which aggravated her even more.

She was so mad she almost didn’t hear him whisper, “Shhhh. Pipe down, roving guard.” After she heard the crewman pass she settled down once more and whispered, “Sorry. Try to warn me next time.”

Charlie replied, “I’ll try to, but no promises.” and then he led them to a hatch a little farther aft which he reclosed after they had passed through. He was surprised by the fact that he couldn’t use his x-ray vision while he was looking for the purser’s office. He hadn’t considered the fact that they probably used lead based paint. As a result he was going to have to check every hatch and see if he could spot something that would tell him where the purser’s office was. He got very lucky in that he spotted a sign over the door down the companionway from the hatch they had entered. It read “Purser”. Clark heaved a silent sigh of relief.

Fortunately all of the crew except for the watch was in their bunks so they were undisturbed as they opened the purser’s office. Once again Lois demonstrated her ability to pick locks. This one took less time than the lock on the door of the warehouse so they soon opened the door and looked for the bill of lading for the shipment consigned by L&M. Lois located it in an inbox waiting to be filed. Charlie took a picture of the bill of lading; they put it back and left.

They retraced their steps back to the bow and started down the hawser.

This time Charlie went first and it was a good thing he did. About half way down Lois lost her grip with her legs and slipped, the rope sliding through her hands giving her a rope burn. She let out a muffled scream of pain and let go with her hands. As she was starting to fall Charlie saw what was happening and flew back up the rope, making it look like he was climbing and grabbed her arm just as she was about to drop into the harbor water. <Got you! I’m not going to let you fall, not if *my* life depended on it!> In his anxiety he wasn’t quite as careful as he should have been and used some of his superstrength to lift her up onto the line. He pulled her to him and just held her for a minute.

He said, “Don’t worry, I’ll get us down. Just relax.” <Whew, got her just in time. I need to be more careful though. What if she noticed the superstrength?>

Breathlessly she replied, “OK, thanks.” <Wow, that was close. He saved me a dunking. If I had gone into the water it probably would have given us away. But oh, my hands hurt.>

As they descended the rope Charlie kept his hand on her pert bottom supporting her and preventing her from sliding uncontrollably down the rope. When they were on the dock he hustled them into the shadows. He put his arms around her and simply held her for a minute. He said, “I’m sorry. I should’ve been more careful. Here, let me see your hands.” He looked at her hands and saw that they were reddened from the abrasion but the skin was not broken. Hoping that she was still somewhat distracted by the incident he used just a little of his supercold breath, using just enough to take the sting out but not enough to chill her hands. It would have felt like water evaporating from her skin. <I hope she doesn’t notice. There, that should help her hands and keep them from blistering. I just want to hold her and comfort her.>

She replied, “Nothing to be sorry about. You saved me didn’t you? Thanks. Boy, you’re sure stronger than you look.” <Yeah, he must really work out to be that strong.>

<Uh, oh, she noticed.> He replied, somewhat lamely, “It must have been a surge of adrenalin.”

Charlie asked Linda where she had stashed her bag. She led him to it and he picked it up and carried it for her. They made their way out of the dock area and to his Land Rover.

Charlie knew she didn’t have her own transportation because he had followed her car to the Gare du Pointe Noire and saw her dropped off. From there he had paced her walk to the dock area. He had parked his car and then moved ahead to the port facilities owned by L&M and followed her progress as she followed along behind.

Shortly after leaving the immediate area of the docks Linda recognized his Land Rover parked on a side street.

Carefully, Charlie got Lois into the front seat and threw her bag in back with his. He climbed into the driver’s seat and drove up the Avenue de Loango, looking for a decent enough hotel/motel. The Atlantic View seemed clean and nice on the outside. Besides, it was about four hundred and twenty kilometers to Brazzaville and he didn’t plan to drive back tonight. At least not on *that* road. . Idly, he wondered if they still charged for jus at night. No matter, even he wouldn’t drive that road at night.

Worrying about what the final outcome of this would be he rented a single room. Still worrying about her because she still appeared to be suffering from the incident at the docks, he held her arm and placed his other arm behind her back as he assisted her up to the room. His mind and emotions were in turmoil as he thought, <How is she going to take this? I just want her near me. I could have gotten two rooms, maybe I *should* have gotten two rooms. Oh well, at least there should be two beds.> Charlie relaxed a little as he opened the door and found that there were indeed two beds in a clean and attractive room.

As soon as the door was closed, Linda whirled on him and let him have it. She poked her finger in his chest with each question. “Okay, just *who* are you, anyway?” [poke] with this he retreated slightly. She pursued him keeping him in range. “Who are you *working* for?” [poke] Another step back. She followed, keeping him in range. “What are you doing *following* me?” [poke] This time when he stepped back he came up against the door. Seeing that her quarry was cornered she continued her pursuit. He brought up his hands in a defensive gesture. “*Why* were you on that dock when I got there?” [poke, poke] “*Why* did you follow that shipment?” [poke, poke, poke] Now the coup de grace, “What happened to your *French accent*?” One final [poke]

With what he hoped was a relaxed chuckle he replied, “My name is Charlie King, for now. I’m a stringer for the Daily Planet. I wasn’t following you; I was in front of you. I’m tracing illegal weapons sales. No, I’m not really French, that was an act so that I could get close to you.”

“You’re a WHAT?? For WHO??”

“As I said, I’m a stringer for the Daily Planet. I got a lead on a shipment of illegal guns coming in for the rebels and was checking it out.” <She seems to be buying the story. I need to tell her enough that she will allow me to stay with her.>

She sputtered, “But, but, that’s *my* investigation! How did you find out about it?” <Yeah, how? How did he find out about the shipment? My source wouldn’t have let anyone else know. He had to have had another source of information. I need to find out more about you.> In an attempt to intimidate him Linda gave him her patented gimlet eyed stare that unfailingly caused competitors to quail.

Charlie didn’t quail and that surprised her. He mockingly replied, “A little bird told me about it. Come on, you don’t really expect me to reveal my sources, do you?” <I can’t tell her that I know about it because I know what she was doing when we lost her five years ago.>

<Let’s see how persistent he is.> “Well … no … I guess not, but, this is still *my* investigation. *Butt out*!”

“Whoa, hold on there, who are you to be telling me to butt out? This is as much *my* investigation as it’s *yours*. <I can’t let her force me out. I need to convince her to let me go along.>

She got a shrewd look on her face and said, “Let me see your ID.” <This should tell me something.>

He pulled his ID out of his wallet and showed it to her. <I hope this convinces her.>

She took it in hand to look at it and as soon as she saw it she knew it was a fake. The perusal however gave her some time to think. <What does he mean ‘Charlie King *for now*? It must mean that he is undercover. Just who is he really working for? A stringer for the Planet, that’s just another word for freelancer. Give me a break. I know most of the freelancers that submit to the Planet and he’s not one of them. Besides, this ID is a phony. I wonder who he’s really working for. He could be working for the gun runners for all I know or he could be government. How would the gun runners know I was on their trail? Impossible! He has to be government, a secret agent maybe, NIA, ATF or FBI or some other acronym. I wonder which one? That would explain how he knows so much. But, why would he be so interested in me? Is that part personal or part of the job? That could explain our meeting at the airport. That meeting was so contrived it had to be phony. That could explain how he knew I was on my way. Is my investigation that important? I hope I’m right and he’s government. He said he put on the French act so that he could meet me. It must be personal. How could it be anything else? The time we’ve shared the things we’ve done together. I’m just a reporter, not an international spy. He wouldn’t wine and dine me this way unless I had some big secrets to disclose, would he? I hope it wasn’t for the job!>

As she handed the ID back she said “Okay, so, where do we go from here?”

<Whew, looks like she bought it.> Charlie suggested, “Well, actually I think that this story is big enough for both of us. Why don’t we partner up?” <I need to be careful with this. She has never worked with a partner. She doesn’t like working with anyone else; she has always been a solo act. Still, I need to convince her that she needs me along.>

She gave him an appraising look which bought her some time to think <Why does he want to partner up with me. Is he really working for them? Is he just trying to keep tabs on *me*? Well, forewarned is forearmed. Who is watching the watcher?> before she retorted vehemently, “I don’t *do* partners. I can’t *work* with one. They just *get in the way*.”

Charlie replied placatingly, “How about this, I have some information that you may be interested in. Do you know who is supplying the weapons?” <I need to hook her.>

Lois warily replied, “They are being shipped from Metropolis.”

Charlie, with an air of superiority asked, “Ah, but do you know who is shipping them?” <Give her a little information at a time. Pique her interest.>

< How much do I let him know that I know? If I know too much and he is working for them will it make me a danger that they need to eliminate?> Lois replied, cautiously, “Well … no … not yet. But I *will*!” <That is, if I live long enough.>

Charlie replied, “I can save you the trouble. *I* already *know*.” <Careful! Don’t act too superior.>

Lois replied with caution, “OK, who is it then?” <He could just be baiting a trap by giving me information or he could be feeding me a false lead. How can I tell?>

Charlie challenged, “Partners?” <Come on, give in.>

Lois put a stubborn look on her face and thought <I guess the best thing will be to play along with him. Odd, I was just thinking that it might be good to have a partner. This isn’t the way I pictured it though.> Lois then replied with an air of hedging her bets, “I don’t know. It depends on how good your information is.”

Charlie replied with confidence, “Oh, it’s *good* alright. Partners?” <Come on. Just a little bit more.>

<I can’t make it look too easy.> Lois gave in a little, “Well, on a trial basis only. Partners. Who shipped the arms?”

Charlie replied, “L&M Enterprises, Inc.” <A little bit at a time. Keep her interest.>

<Let’s see just how far he will go.> Lois asked, “I saw that much on the bill of lading. What is L&M Enterprises, Inc.? Who’s *behind* it?”

<Let’s see how she responds to this piece of information.> Charlie responded with an air of superior knowledge, “Since we are *partners*, I’ll tell you. L&M stands for *Lex Luthor* and *Miranda Michaels*. Names sound familiar?”

<Yeah, right. Like I’m really going to believe that! Who does he think he’s kidding with that story. Lex Luthor, a criminal! That L could stand for Lionel for all I know. I’ll need to see some hard evidence on that.> Lois sounded rather incredulous, “*Lex Luthor*??? You must be *crazy*. He’s a big shot *philanthropist* in Metropolis.”

<A big story should entice her.> “That’s another story we’ll have if we’re really partners. He’s not what he appears to be and I intend to prove it.” He said this with finality.

“Wow. Okay, maybe we *can* work together. Partners, and I really mean it this time.” Lois thought, <I need to play along with this until I can determine just what the real story is. I wonder if he is serious about the Luthor thing.>

Charlie said, “Okay partner, I think that the first order of business is to get some sleep. You can have one bed. I’ll take the other.” <Okay, she bought in. Now I need to just stay near her.>

<I need to make it look like I have fallen for his line. Since he knows so much, he probably knows who I am anyhow so I won’t really be telling him anything. Let’s see if he does.> Lois, somewhat contritely said, “OK, partner, but, there is something I need to tell you. My name isn’t really Linda King.”

<She might be testing me. Do I let her know that I know who she is? I think I need to.> Charlie replied with assurance, “I know. It’s Lois Lane.”

<Bingo! Make it look good.> “What!!! How did you know??” Lois acted flabbergasted.

<How do I explain it?> Charlie replied, “I told you, I work for the Planet. Do you think that there is anyone on staff that doesn’t know Lois Lane by sight?”

Lois couldn’t help but smile at that comment. <Yeah, like I’m really going to believe a line like that. I have to give it to him though, he’s creative. My picture hasn’t appeared anywhere so only the staff in Metropolis would know what I look like. I don’t know what his game is *yet*. I’ll figure it out, but first I need to find out if he’s a good guy. I hope he *is* on the side of the angels. From what I have seen so far, that would be my guess. I’m going to play this like he is. He certainly has been an angel to me. I’ve really enjoyed the time we’ve spent together and he *did* save me from a dunking. If I’m going to ‘play along’ with him, I might as well enjoy it. Let’s just relax and see what happens. He wants to be my partner. So okay, I’ll *let* him be my partner. I just might be able to get along with this guy as a partner after all.> Then another thought hit her, <Boy, can he kiss!>

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 12 – Undercover

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:42 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj