Clark and Lois – The Lost Years - Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 3

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Reminder:
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously –

Lois was amazed at the good time she had with Charlie. He was extremely pleasant, constantly concerned for her welfare and an excellent conversationalist and she simply adored his cute French accent. He was an all around nice guy and good companion. He also didn’t let her spend a cent on anything, paid for lunch and dinner as well as the souvenirs she wanted. <Wow, so far it has been a terrific day and he’s been a perfect gentleman. This wasn’t such a bad idea after all. I’m glad I took him up on his offer. Definitely, if he offers to plan tomorrow’s outing I’m going to let him.>

After dinner he took her back to the hotel so that she could rest up and change before he took her to the Boom Boom Afrique.

Lois contemplated the limited number of dresses in her small closet. <What should I wear? I want to impress him, but I don’t want to be too over the top. Let’s see what I have.> She pulled out dress after dress holding it up in front of herself while she checked her appearance in the mirror. Finally deciding on one she changed into a form fitting sleeveless red dress with a scoop neck and a hem that just brushed the tops of her knees and a slit up the left side to mid thigh. <I feel like a teenager getting ready for a date. It’s been so long since I’ve dated … I want to be attractive for him. I hope he likes what he sees.>

It was getting near the time that Charlie had said he would pick Linda up so he quickly checked to make sure she was dressed. When Charlie saw her all he could do was stare at her for several seconds. He shook himself to get it back together and headed for his closet. He had noted the color of her dress and quickly changed his tie. Exiting his room he went next door and knocked. He heard her as she approached her door and to his surprise he heard her heart rate increase. Was she excited that she was going to see him? He hoped so. When she opened the door she just stood there in the doorway. Charlie said “Ooo la la, vous êtes *très belle* ce soir, uh … You are *zery beauty-ful* zis evening.” <She looks incredible!!!! She is killing me! I can’t stand it! How am I going to continue to do this?? I’m dying the death by a thousand cuts here. Keep it cool Kent! I can get through this, I think.>

Linda replied, “Thank you.” and blushed prettily. <I’m glad he likes what he sees. It’s been a while since anyone has paid this kind of attention to me. It feels good.> Her heart rate was going a mile a minute. It was going so fast it almost made her light headed.

And now –

Chapter 9 – The First Date
Wednesday March 11, 1992

They arrived at Boom Boom Afrique at about 8:30.

The Boom Boom Afrique club, like almost all of the clubs in Brazzaville had a strongly French atmosphere with a slight tang of Dutch, courtesy of the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo from its early days as a Belgian colony. The music reflected this being a mix of African, American and French

Si tu veux de moi (If yoy want me) (1)

As they entered the club they could hear the music being played over the sound system. The man at the door led the way as they wove their way in and out among the tables as he took them to a table off on one side. This wasn’t a dinner club so they ordered a couple of drinks, a Singapore Sling for Linda and Rum & Coke for Charlie.

While they waited for the drinks to be delivered she looked around at the other patrons. This apparently was one of the upper tier clubs in Brazzaville. Most of the clientele appeared to be professional or semi-professional. Linda felt a little better about her choice of dress as it fit right in. She looked at Charlie with a critical eye. He was wearing a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt and a red tie. It had to be coincidence that his tie matched the color of her dress but she liked the fact that it did. It reinforced the fact that they were together, as a couple. She remarked on it, “I like your tie.” She reached over and straightened the knot. With a teasing tone she asked, “How did you know I was going to wear red this evening? I didn’t decide until the last minute.”

Charlie replied “Eet was yust a lucky guess.” Changing the subject he asked, “’as zee mademoiselle ‘ad a good time wiss moi today?”

Qui Saura (Who Will Know?) (2)

Their drinks were delivered and Linda took a long slow sip considering her response before she finally answered, first asking a question. “Ummm, this is good. I’ve never had one of these before. What did you say the name of this drink is?”

“It’s called a Singapore Sling.(3)”

“Well, we might not be in Singapore but it still tastes good. To answer your question – yes, I have had a good time with you today. Actually I don’t know when I’ve had a better time sightseeing.” Listening to what was playing. With her lack of knowledge of the French language she didn’t have the faintest idea as to what the artist was saying but the beat communicated with a language all of its own. Linda started moving in her seat. She was tempted to get up and dance, but this was not a dance club.

“Eet maks me tres ‘appy to ‘ear you say zat. I wanted you to ‘ave zee een-joy-able day. I wass ‘oping zat eef you enjoy-ed today zat yust may-be you would conzider allow-ing moi to plan an outing pour domorrow.”

“It was every bit of that. I’ve really had a good time with you.” Reaching down she picked up her glass and took another long slow sip of her drink. When she sat it down she started moving even more in her seat almost like she was actually on a dance floor. She closed her eyes and put her arms up in the air and started moving them back and forth along with her upper body in time with the beat. The drink was lowering her inhibitions slightly. She opened her eyes and gave Charlie a very appraising look. “What made you offer to take me out sightseeing today anyhow?”

“Oo would not lak to go zightzeeing wiss a zery beauty-ful wo-man?”

A little embarrassed by his statement and blushing somewhat Linda sought refuge in taking another long slow sip of her drink. She knew that she had actually gone to some lengths to make sure that she was as attractive as she could be this evening, being very careful in the selection of the dress and the application of her make-up. By this time she was nearing the bottom of this particular glass. Charlie signaled the waiter to bring another of the same.

Linda continued her dance. She was becoming more fluid in her movements as the time went on. The drinks acting like a lubricant and giving her flexibility in her movements even confined to her chair which made her very enticing. Watching her Charlie was having a hard time restraining himself.

As their second round of drinks were delivered to their table, Linda immediately picked up her glass and took a deep drink. More than a sip yet less than a gulp.

She eyed him over the rim of her glass. She really liked what she saw. She had to admit that she really had had a good time with him.

Lady marmalade (4)

She heard an old disco song come on. “Oh, I know this one!” She couldn’t resist singing along with it. The reason it was being played was obvious. It was American but it had a Creole French lyric. It was Lady Marmalade (1) by Patti LaBelle and it went something like this:

“Hey sister, go sister, soul sister, go sister
Hey sister, go sister, soul sister, go sister

He met Marmalade down in old New Orleans
Struttin’ her stuff on the street
She said, “Hello, hey Joe
You wanna give it a go?”

Mm, Mm, Gitchi gitchi ya ya da da
Gitchi gitchi ya ya here
Mocha chocolata, ya ya
Creole Lady Marmalade

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?

He stayed in her boudoir while she freshened up
The boy drank all that magnolia-wine
On her black satin sheets where he started to freak

Gitchi gitchi ya ya da da
Gitchi gitchi ya ya here
Mocha chocolata, ya ya
Creole Lady Marmalade

(Musical bridge)

Touching her skin, feeling silky smooth
Color of café au lait
Made the savage beast inside
Roaring until it cried, “More, more, more!”

Now he’s at home doing 9 to 5
Living his brave life of lies
But when he turns off to sleep
All memories keep more, more, more

Gitchi gitchi ya ya da da da
Gitchi gitchi ya ya here
Mocha chocolata, ya ya
Creole Lady Marmalade

Creole Lady Marmalade

Gitchi gitchi ya ya da da
Gitchi gitchi ya ya here
Mocha chocolata, ya ya
Gitchi gitchi ya ya here”

When she finished Charlie applauded as did a number of the other patrons. “Cest tres magnifique.”

After the music stopped she started to sing the chorus again. “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?”

Before she got any further Charlie quickly reached across the table and placed a hand on her wrist. This was the very first time his skin had touched hers. When it did she felt a distinct tingling sensation where his fingers contacted her skin and she stopped and looked down at his hand in wonder and then up at him. <Wow, what is that? Where he is touching me, it feels like I’m touching a live wire. What’s causing it?>

Charlie felt it also. <I felt a similar sensation when I touched the other Lois, but this is stronger, much stronger. This has to be the soul mates connection she told me about. > He said, “Combien de Francais, uh, ‘ow much of zee French language do you know?”

She answered, distractedly, still wondering about this strange feeling she was getting from his touch. “Very little, why?”

He said, “I don’t know zat I would be zinging zat a lot eef I were you. I might tak you up on your o’fair.”

She said somewhat bewildered, “Offer, what offer?”

Charlie replied “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir? To translate zat into zee Eenglish it would be ‘Do you want to sleep wiss me tonight?’.” <Odd, just the other day Suzanne asked me that very same question. But of course, she *knew* what she was saying.>

Lois blushed dark red, almost the same color as her dress and choked out, “OhMyGod! Does it really mean that? Oh … My … God … that *is* what it means!!!” <I can’t believe I was singing that! Although, might that really be so *bad*, with him?>

Charlie said, “Mais oui. But of course. I reeal’ized zat you must not know, but, I am steel tempted.” <and how am I tempted.>

Ou Es Tu (Where Are You) (5)

As the next song started Charlie recognized the intro and knowing what song was starting it really hit him. He started to get a look of longing on his face and Linda asked. “Charlie, is there something about this song that is making you sad?

“Zat ees right, you do no understand zee French. Ziss zong, I weel translate eet for vous.” After a phrase he repeated it in English.

“Ce soir je pense à toi
mon amour inconnu.”

Tonight I think of you
My unknown love

“J'attends un signe de toi
sur cette terre où es-tu.”

I'm waiting for a sign from you
On this Earth where are you?

“J'attends je ne sais quoi
d'infini, d'absolu
mon amour où es-tu.”

I'm waiting for I don't know what
Infinite, absolute
My love where are you?

“Je vois la mer immense
le long des avenues.”

See the vast sea
Along the avenues.

“Et des bateaux qui dansent
Dans tous mes rêves où es-tu.”

And boats dancing
In all my dreams where are you?

“J'attends dans le silence
ce bonheur défendu,
mon amour où es-tu ?”

I wait in silence
For this forbidden happiness,
My love where are you?

" Où es-tu”

Where are you?

“au-delà de quel horizon

Farther than all horizon,

Qui es-tu, quel est ton nom

Who are you, what is your name?

Où te chercher je ne sais plus
Parmi tous les hommes.”

Where to find you, I no longer know
Among all men.

“Où es-tu”

Where are you?

“Mais où es-tu dans ce monde
Sur une île que l'azur inonde
Au coeur de la nuit, où es-tu"

Where are you in this world
On an island flooded by azure
In the deep of the night, where are you?

“Ce soir je t'imagine
Près de moi étendu”

Tonight, I imagine you
Lying down next to me

“Et puis je te devine presque à moi
Mais où es-tu”

And I hope you're almost mine
But where are you

“Dans le palais d'un roi
Ou au coin de ma rue
Mon amour où es-tu”

In a king's palace,
Or at the corner of my street,
My love where are you?

“Je regarde une étoile
qui annonce ta venue”

I look upon a star
That announces your arrival

“Mon ange, mon idéal
Je tremble un peu où es-tu”

My angel, my ideal
I tremble a bit where are you?

“Dans une boule de cristal
J'ai vu ton coeur à nu
Mon amour où es-tu ...”

In a crystal ball
I saw your naked heart
My love where are you?

" Où es-tu”

Where are you?

“au-delà de quel horizon

Farther than all horizon,

Qui es-tu, quel est ton nom

Who are you, what is your name?

Où te chercher je ne sais plus
Parmi tous les hommes.”

Where to find you, I no longer know
Among all men.

“Où es-tu”

Where are you?

“Dis moi où es-tu”

Tell me where are you?

“Parmi tous les hommes.”

Among all men.

“Où es-tu”

Where are you?

“Dis moi où es-tu...”

Tell me where are you...

After he finished they both had very pensive expressions. Charlie was in deep thought, thinking of how apropos this song was to his situation. He was thinking, <I’ve been looking and looking for her and it took help from Herb to actually find her and now I have the answer to the question of where she was. She’s here with me now. Now it’s up to me to see to it that I keep her near to me. I never want to lose her again now that I’ve found her.>

Linda was thinking, <Such a sad song and it has affected Charlie so. I wonder why. Actually, I can see why. I too can identify with it. I’ve been looking for one special man, but, I’m afraid I’ll never find him. ‘Where are you?’ Yes, I could ask that question myself. Where are you?>

After a minute or so Charlie spoke up, “Perhaps we should go now. Would you like to take zee walk along zee river bank?” <I need to get her out of here, somewhere quiet.>

“Sure.” She picked up her glass and drained it. ”That would be nice.” <A walk along the beach. What does he have in mind? Especially after that song.>

They walked and they talked. The drinks had affected her more than she would like to admit. Her conversation became very animated. She almost danced as they walked along remembering that French song that she had chair-danced to back in the club.

Clark admired her doing bouncing dance steps and spins which showed off her very nicely shaped legs through the slit of her skirt. Eventually Charlie took her hand in his.

Every time his skin touched hers she felt that tingling sensation. She had never in her life felt anything like it before. She continued her dance swinging their joined hands as she spun right and left with the swing of their arms in very uninhibited fashion. It was the perfect end to a nearly perfect day, a day that Lois would remember for a *long* time to come.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 10 – Starting the Investigation

Footnotes
1) Si tu veux de moi (tr: If You Want Me)

2) Qui Saura (tr: Who Will Know)

3) Singapore Sling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Sling
4) Lady marmalade:
)
5) Ou Es Tu (Where are You)

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:37 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj