Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'd love to hear what you all thought of the story! smile

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Brava! I like the twist that Lois actually did realize that Clark was lying to her, but that although she was disappointed, she understood his motivations and went along for both of their sakes.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
It always felt a little like writers had Clark lie to her because they weren't ready to advance the relationship yet. But I like your explanation. Although Clark does love Lois, circumstances forced him to reveal his feelings too soon. He and Lois weren't ready for that yet. I love that he did it for her. She was hurt from her experience with Lex. She was vulnerable (the very reason Lois was about to say something to him too). He knew she needed to recover and he wanted what was best for her.
I also like that Lois realized he was lying but didn't call him on it.

Excellent insight into a great scene

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, goody! hyper A introspective semi-sequel to "Observational Skills"! laugh

No one does inner turmoil as well as you, Anti-K. You have made this important scene full of even more depth and hidden meaning than before. Plus you've rounded out some of those rough edges and questions that plagued us.

I love how Clark examines every word and nuance of Lois's -- searching for a hidden meaning, hoping for clue, something, to not have to tell her his lie.
Except...except for that hug right after her almost-wedding. Except for the fact that she didn't say "I do." Except for the quiet, wondering glances she's been giving him all week. Except for a hundred other things that make him wonder what could be, what might be, what the future just might bring...

But he wants to see hope so badly that maybe he's only imagining it.
And, even though it is there, even with all his extra abilities he cannot see the truth before his eyes -- that Lois's opinion of his worth in her life has improved since that day in the park, when he confessed his love for her. Perhaps it's not yet love, but a door that had previously been bolted shut has been unlocked. And this, he's still too blinded by love, still too hurt by her words from the bench to see the truth in front of him.

And even though I'm hoping for a kiss that I know will not come, there is a truth behind your words:
She needs a friend, he knows, and maybe he does too. Maybe he needs that certainty that she'll be there the next time he looks for her, that she won't hang up her phone if he calls her, that she'll be his partner without jumping every time he smiles at her or blushing when he puts his hand on her back or making excuses every time he asks her to lunch or to watch a video or any other thing he's grown used to getting to do with her.

Maybe they both need space. Maybe they both need simple friendship. Maybe they both need each other, and as unsure about everything else as he is, the one thing he knows for certain is that they'll never be comfortable with each other, never go back to the way it was, not with his unwelcome declaration of love sitting between them.
Once again, he's right. Though how much I'd love for him to be wrong. They do need time and space, to heal some painful wounds.

But that didn't stop me from wanting a twist, I knew wouldn't be coming from this introspective piece. (I can still dream, can't I? laugh ) At least, Lois acknowledges that she knows that Clark is lying (I love how he doesn't realize how horrible of a liar he is.)

It's disappointing, this moment, because he's spent the past week convincing himself that if he told her this lie, they'd be just as they had been before, be just Lois and Clark again, hardly even any spaces to separate them, their names blending and merging together in everyone's mouths.

But they aren't LoisandClark right now. They're still Lois standing there and Clark standing here, and they might be close physically, but there's still a distance that has yet to be bridged. And that hurts, but he can't convince his battered heart that he's only imagining all the things he thinks he sees in her, and he's nothing if not patient,
I love that he pictures their partnership without spaces, "LoisandClark" -- as one way that they can be together as one. It's beautiful and sad at the same time. Oh, Clark. My heart aches for him.

A minute earlier, and she would have been telling him that she might just possibly love him as more than a friend. She hadn't thought she loved him, but that mirror in Lex Tower that had framed her in her wedding dress had certainly been revealing, pulling out of her the simple "Lois Lane Kent" that betrayed the fact that she *did* think of Clark as a possible romantic partner. Since then, all week long, she'd been looking at him in a new light, sneaking sidelong glances at him and wondering what it would be like to have him as a boyfriend or as a lover or as--and this surprised her, but she blamed the wedding dress for it--as a husband.
And there's where my heart breaks. Oh, Lois. Oh, Clark. You blind fools.

It hurts to hear him say he lied, but she knows that's because it's hard to envision Clark lying to her at all. He told her the truth about Luthor, about his feelings, about everything...until this moment when he actually is lying to her.
Yep, she knows the truth.

But he's so transparent, so predictable. She should have known he'd do this, should have guessed that he'd be trying to find anyway to make her more comfortable, to be her friend again, to correct what he surely has to think was a mistake. She knows exactly why he's lying to her, and it's disappointing, but she's nothing if not flexible, so she discards her own prepared speech and smiles back at him.
No, no, no! Don't discard the prepared speech! For once, I want to hear it. Tell him you know he's lying and... that's never going to happen, is it? Sigh.

"Yeah, uh, what you said. I'm just...that. Sort of," she can't resist adding because that "forever" he mentioned sounded somewhat final, and she's not sure she wants to lock herself into this lie for quite that long.
Thank God for small miracles.

Besides, she misses Clark, misses him even though she's been with him for most of the past week. She misses when they could tease each other without worrying about offending or hurting the other, when she could place a hand on his chest to emphasize a point without guiltily worrying that she was giving him a false impression, when he could smile at her without throwing her into a tailspin wondering what he was thinking or imagining when he looked at her *that* way.

She misses being his just-friend and having a just-friend.
Well, okay, I guess, in that case... it makes sense. hyper , she's thinking Clark, not Superman!

Great little introspection, as always. Thank you for sharing. I wish I could have a tenth of your talent in that regards. clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Fabulous piece, Anti-K! You've done some excellent introspection and characterization in here. I loved it- loved that Lois knows he's lying, knows why he's lying, and still decides to go along with it... mecry So sad, but definitely better insight into the characters' minds than the episode actually revealed. You have Lois and Clark down pat. smile

notworthy Great, great job!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Excellently done. Quite good, actually. thumbsup

Your treatment of the inner conflicts and termoil are spot on, as they say. hail

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Such a lovely, lovely story. I had *so* much feedback ready for you, and then the window shut down unexpectedly on me.

I love this dual look into their heads - with Clark's thoughts for the first half and Lois' for the second half. I love that we can to see parallel thoughts between them.

It's so nice to see Lois not being blind as a bat where Clark is concerned, even while she still harbors a little of that same old fear in her heart. And it's very astuate to acknowledge that she's still unsure - does she really love Clark or is it that phenominom when someone falls in love with their rescuer?

Just superb all the way around. I love that we're looking at this in the present tense. Part of me almost wishes that we were getting to see this from the first person perspective though.

Bravo!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice job reading the people behind the words. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Like VirginiaR said this is the perfect semi-sequel to Observational Skills. Of course this particular piece is not taken from Jimmy's POV!

Clark did provide a gift in the form of patience and time. Lois is still in quiet agony over how Lex totally deceived her. Doing that takes greater strength than being able to knock a runaway meteorite out of Earth's space.

Now that my friends takes real love! wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback for this little piece! Sorry for the typos and such--I promise it will be smoothed out before it gets submitted to the archives. smile

Glad you enjoyed that twist, Lynn. I’ve always felt she figured out pretty quickly that he was lying--it was only a couple episodes later that she immediately looked to him when she got the Prankster’s first ‘secret admirer’ gift!

Although I have an inkling the writers had something to do with it, scifiJoan, I always like to look at the show as if it really happened and not let ‘the writers’ reason affect my writing; it makes me stretch and think and hopefully get a better understanding of the characters. I love the way you summed up all of Lois and Clark's motivations!

Wow, what great feedback, Virginia! I love writing these type of stories, but particularly when someone writes back that it helped them understand something in the show, so it was great to read your reactions! I couldn’t help but laugh at all your comments about wishing Clark was wrong or hoping for Lois to go ahead and give her prepared speech or wishing for that kiss-that-wasn’t. And I got the span of a week from the episode’s script, but yes, it did make my heart break for poor Clark, without his powers for so long. frown I’m so glad you enjoy the introspection--I always worry it will scare people off, but it’s what I enjoy doing the most! Thanks again for reading and commenting!

Thanks for the great reassurance, Mouserocks--nothing makes me feel better than to hear that I captured the characters and didn’t mess them up!

Glad to hear that I’m ‘spot on,’ Ken! Thanks for the feedback!

I thought about first person, Deadly Chakram, but I try to always make myself do something different or new in each story so that I’m always pushing myself, and I’d never done present tense, third person. And so glad you picked up on the parallel thoughts! I had a lot of fun putting those in there.

Loved how you phrased that, Laurach! Thanks!

I did think of billing this as a semi-sequel to Observational Skills, but ultimately decided against it. Still, glad it worked that way for you! And thanks, Morgana! It really did demand a lot more sacrifice from Clark to give her this lie than any other superhuman feat! I always love hearing your thoughts--thanks!

Thanks to all who read and reviewed! I hope you know how much I appreciate it!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard