Previously on Contractually Bound:

Through sheer willpower, Kal kept his head held high as he made his way to his own living quarters. He opened the door and entered into his living room, then shut the door behind him. His shoulders slumped as he leaned against the solid wood. All of his energy seemed to drain from his body, leaving him feeling exhausted. He leaned the back of his head against the door for a few minutes and closed his eyes. His father's words echoed in his mind. His heart was heavy. True, it wasn't as though Kal had his heart set on marrying another. He hadn't yet met a woman special enough to give his heart to. But to be ordered - no, sold! - into a marriage with someone he'd never met, let alone knew existed, hurt beyond words.

"I'm the second son," he whispered to himself. "Ching should have been the only one to be matched like this. I'm only the second son. Maybe that makes my life worth less than Ching's?"

He pushed himself from the door and moved to the bedroom where he stripped out of his clothes. He carefully put them aside and then slipped into his sleep clothes. Sighing, he moved to his favorite recliner in the living room. He glanced at the cold hearth, considered lighting a fire, then decided against it. The darkness matched his mood all too perfectly. He sat heavily in the chair and watched the storm as it continued to rage beyond the floor to ceiling windows. He sat forward in the chair and rested his head in his hands.

How had this happened? One minute, he'd been living his life exactly as he'd wanted it. He'd been carefree and happy. In the next, he'd discovered that his life had been sold for the life of his brother. He'd instantly been saddled with a life that was no longer under his own control. He didn't regret that Dr. Lyne had been able to save Ching. He didn't regret that the whole planet had been saved. He regretted only the price of that salvation. But what could he really do? His hands were tied. He couldn't make a liar out of his father. Running away from the palace to pursue some anonymous life would never work. His father would employ every spy and member of the planet's military to find him. And he couldn't embarrass his father by refusing to show at the ceremony. Kal simply had no choice. His fate was sealed. He hoped only that being married to this stranger would be bearable.

Learning To Cope

Kal barely slept that night. He spent most of the night staring out of the windows, the same bleak thoughts churning over and over in his mind. He watched as the storm came to a raging peak, then as it tapered off and eventually died. When he did sleep, his dreams were dark and fitful.

Finally, just after dawn, he gave up on trying to sleep. He threw on some comfortable clothing and went for an early walk in the sprawling palace gardens. His brothers often teased him for spending so much time among the flowers, but Kal found the gardens to be one of the most relaxing places on the entirety of the palace grounds. He smiled a little as he left the palace and stepped into the growing sunshine. The morning was cool and crisp. It was refreshing and seemed to recharge Kal, even lifting some of the heaviness in his heart. He jogged down the footpaths to one of his favorite spots - a gently sloping hill ringed by ancient trees, though the hill's crown was utterly bare. The green grass was springy beneath his feet as he left the stone path. He could hear and feel the mud squishing beneath his running shoes, and the scent of the damp soil invigorated him.

At the crest of the hill, he paused to look around, though he was barely winded. He threw his head back and studied the rain-washed blue of the sky and the thin white rags of clouds that were lazily drifting past. After a few moments, he continued on, making his way to another one of his favorite spots, and the place where he really wanted to be this morning. His long legs made swift work of the small distance. In no time, he found himself in the midst of the rose gardens. Roses of every color, shade, and variety grew in this section of the gardens. His mother, Lara, had been the one to plan this section, and had personally seen each bush planted. Roses had always been her favorites, and, as a result, they had also become Kal's favorites.

Kal found a dry bench and sat. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply through his nose, savoring the sweet scent of the flowers. As always, it was almost overwhelming as memories of his mother came flooding back to him. Her gentle smile. Her light, airy laugher. Her kind way of speaking. Her reassuring nature. The way that her eyes had always sparkled with a love of life and of those around her.

For the next hour, Kal sat in silence, listening to the songs of the birds nearby and breathing in the perfume that was lingering in the air. In his mind's eye, he saw himself and his two brothers as very young children, walking with their mother or sitting on benches as she read to them or told them tales from memory. Those had been happy days. And the memories of them never failed to bring a bittersweet smile to his face. He sighed softly.

"What am I going to do, Mom?" he lamented softly, his voice barely audible, even to his own ears. "In two weeks, I'll be forced into a marriage with a complete stranger. I don't want this. But I don't know what choice I have. I feel so betrayed. I feel so lost. I don't know how to be a husband to someone I've never met. What if we don't get along? What if I can't love her? What am I going to do?"

But if Lara knew, she was silent. Kal hung his head. Often, he found that he could come to this place with his problems, and could almost hear his mother's voice in his mind, helping him. But this time, Kal did not feel reassured. He could not imagine what his mother would have told him, if she could have.

"Kal?" Ching's voice rang out in the morning air. "Are you here?"

"Over here," Kal called out miserably. Ching would find him in a moment, regardless of if he spoke up or not, he knew.

Kal's memories faded like so much mist. He no longer saw the ghosts of what had once been. Instead, he saw the solid flesh and bone of his brothers as they advanced towards him, side by side. Both of them looked concerned, with twin creases across their brows. When they reached Kal, they sat on either side of him on the bench.

"I thought we might find you here," Ching said, looking at the roses surrounding them.

The storm had ripped some of the flowers to shreds, and their petals were plastered to the drying stone footpath. Kal's eyes were fixed on a section of scattered red petals that lay like a pool of blood not twenty feet from where he sat.

"Congratulations. You found me," Kal said with a sigh. He was not in a mood to joke with his brothers. He was still mourning the loss of his freedom. He stood, preparing to leave. "Now if you'll excuse me..."

"Sit," Ching commanded him.

Kal shook his head. "I'd rather be alone."

"Well that's too bad," Jai said, grinning impishly. "Because we intend on sticking with you today."

"Guys..."

Jai shook his head. "Whatever Dad said to you last night must have really bothered you. What kind of brothers would Ching and I be if we let you suffer alone?"

"Yeah, it did upset me," Kal admitted, sitting back down. "How'd you know?"

"You weren't in your room when we came to ask what happened last night. We checked your usual haunts and found you here. Do you realize that you have certain places that you visit when you are in certain moods?" Ching said, shrugging. "When you are upset, we usually find you here."

"I'm really that predictable?" Kal asked, surprised. He'd never really stopped to think about any patterns that he might have fallen into over the years.

Jai nodded. "You have no idea."

"There's a lot of happy memories here," Ching observed. "It's a good place to try to forget your troubles, even if only for a little while."

Kal nodded. "It is. This might sound weird, but I feel close to Mom here. Sometimes, that's all it takes to get over things."

Ching nodded in return. "I know exactly what you mean."

"So," Jai said, swinging his legs a little. "What's the trouble this time and how can we help?"

Kal shook his head. "This time, there's nothing that either one of you can do."

"There's got to be something," the younger man pressed.

"Not this time," Kal repeated. "What Dad told me last night..." He shook his head. "I'm...getting married."

"What?" the two brothers said with one voice.

"That's what Dad wanted to talk to me about last night. He has this contract with Samm Lyne to marry me with Samm's oldest daughter."

"Samm has children?" Ching asked, surprised. "I didn't know."

"Apparently, not many people do," Kal said, folding his hands on his lap. "Dad says that Samm has two daughters, but no sons, and is supposedly ashamed of that fact. So he doesn't talk much about his family. And you know that he and Elle haven't been happy together in years now."

"Right," Jai said, nodding thoughtfully.

"Dad's never spoken of an arranged marriage for you before," Ching said, troubled.

"I know," Kal said, casting his eyes downward to study the stone footpath.

"But why would he keep a birth-wife secret?" Ching continued, confusion written on his face. "It's not like it's a rare practice or anything. And he was always upfront with me about Zara. It doesn't make any sense."

"That's just it," Kal said. "Lois isn't my birth-wife. Dad wrote up a contract to arrange this marriage when I was two years old. He promised Samm anything he wanted if only he could find a way to save you from the Red Fever. Samm wanted a good match for his unborn daughter. You were already promised to Zara. And Jai is only half a prince, no offense. So I was the one chosen to pay the price."

"I'm sorry," Ching said, putting a comforting hand on his younger brother's shoulder.

"A marriage isn't so bad," Jai said, trying to make Kal feel better. "I mean, look at Ching and Zara. They're happy together. Nauseatingly so, in fact."

"We are happy," Ching said, nodding.

"I know you guys are," Kal said glumly. "But you grew up knowing Zara and that someday you'd be married to her. I'm getting thrown head first into this. I never knew of this marriage. I've never met the bride. I never even knew that the bride existed until last night. I feel like the whole world has gone upside down. And I have no idea what to do about this."

"There's not much that you can do," Ching said gently. "You just have to make your peace with the situation. And try to stay opened-minded. The El family has a long history of arranged marriages that worked out well. Zara and me. Mom and Dad. Our grandparents. And so on through the line."

"That's all well and good," Kal argued. "But there are plenty of arranged marriages that haven't worked out. We've seen them fall apart. Samm and Elle. Lux Uthor and his late wife." He shrugged. "Uncle Dav and Aunt Mille."

"Kal, you're one of the most open, caring people that I know," Jai said, looking his older brother in the eyes. "If anyone can make this work, it's you. I'm not just saying this either. I truly believe it."

Kal managed a weak smile, though Jai's words did little to make him feel better. "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"You're welcome. Now, when should we schedule the bachelor party for?" Jai's grin overtook his entire face.

Kal shook his head and laughed, despite himself. "Oh no. Not on your life."

The three stood and began to walk back to the palace for breakfast.

"Come on! I'll get you a few of the concubines. They can show you some tricks," Jai pressed, grinning. "Catira always asks when I'm finally going to convince you to seek out her services."

Kal shook his head again. "No thanks. I'll pass. You can keep the concubines to yourself."

"Fine," Jai huffed in mock indignation. "Go ahead and disappoint your wife on your wedding night. I won't be held responsible for your lack of knowledge. I tried."

Kal chuckled a little at Jai's words, though they brought to mind another uncomfortable thought. The wedding night. How was he supposed to fulfill his marital duties with a woman that he didn't know? It wasn't that he didn't know what to do. He just knew that he was already uncomfortable thinking about doing such things with a complete and utter stranger, no matter what label was given to her. He suppressed a groan of dread and followed his brothers through the palace to the main dining hall.

Jor-El was already there, speaking with Trey and some of the other Elders. Kal greeted them all by force of habit. He really wasn't aware of what he was saying or who he was saying it to. He took his seat and kept his eyes downcast. Servants came bearing silver trays of food, and set them in front of each of the noblemen. Kal didn't eat very much. He spent more time pushing the food around his plate with his fork. What he did eat, he barely tasted. He only had the most fleeting of impressions of scrambled eggs, thick slices of pan-fried toast, crispy bacon, and strong black coffee. The coffee was the only thing that he finished entirely. The hot beverage warmed him and seemed to take away some of the emotional chill that he was feeling. He kept his eyes downcast for the entire meal, and mercifully, Jor-El kept the Elders in conversation. No one had a chance to try to speak with Kal or notice his melancholy. That was just fine by the prince. Although the conversation at the table never ceased, Kal did not hear a single word of it.

When he could no longer pretend any interest in his food, he took his leave of the table and headed back to his rooms. Once there, he paced like a caged animal, though he took comfort in the fact that Ching and Jai hadn't followed him just yet. Finally, he could stand being indoors no longer. He grabbed up his portable music player and strapped the small device to his left bicep. Popping in the ear buds, he swiftly made his way back outdoors. He nodded to various members of the palace staff as he went, nobles and servants alike.

Once outdoors, he chose one of his favorite playlists, then cranked up the volume and began to run. He forced out all of this thoughts and concentrated only on his breathing and movements. He let the music crash over his body and fuel his movements as though it coursed through his very veins. The old trick never failed him. It was not long before he lost himself to the music that was blaring in his ears and the slow burning of his leg muscles as he made laps through the gardens. His pace varied as he went, ranging from a slow trot when he needed to calm his heart and lungs, to a ground eating sprint after each period of rest. Soon, the prince was cloaked in a fine sheen of sweat and his clothes clung wetly to him. Mile after mile he ran, until at last his damaged knee began to protest. Regretfully, he slowed his pace and returned to the palace. But the run had done wonders for his mood. He was still unhappy at the situation he was facing, but at least he didn't feel quite so depressed anymore. Jai's words lingered in his brain. Could they be true? Could he make this forced marriage work?

Kal shook his head, trying to dispel his thoughts. He simply didn't want to think about his impending nuptials. His mind, however, kept turning to his looming marriage regardless of his wishes. One thing in particular kept bothering him. Samm had often visited with Jor-El at the palace. Kal had known the good doctor all of his life. And never once had Samm ever let it slip that he was a father. Was he truly ashamed of only having girls? Kal couldn't fathom ever being ashamed of any future children of his. Boys or girls, Kal was certain that he'd be Krypton's proudest daddy, if and when the day ever came. It seemed heartless to feel any other way. And yet, Dr. Lyne had always seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. Kal enjoyed his visits. There had to be some other reason why Samm never spoke of his daughters. Kal just wished that he could figure out what that other reason might be.

"There you are!" Jai exclaimed as he and Ching ran into the prince in the palace hallways. "We were looking for you."

"I went for a run," Kal shrugged, tucking the earphones into the collar of his shirt.

"So we can see," Ching said, a hint of a smile on his lips.

"It helps me clear my head, you guys know that."

Jai nodded. "We do. But we would have gone with you."

Kal shook his head. "I needed to be alone for a while. But thanks."

"Feeling any better?" the half-prince asked.

"A bit, I think. I'm not really sure," Kal said, speaking honestly. "I still don't like this whole thing and I'm still coming to terms with it. But I have no choice. It might be a different story if I could at least get to know Lois a little before we're thrown into a marriage together."

"Well, I can't help you with that," Ching said with an apologetic smile. "But, Jai and I are going to go into the city to have a little fun. Care to join us? It might do you some good."

Kal nodded. "Sure. Give me twenty minutes."

Ching grinned. "Make it fifteen, little brother."

"Twenty-five," Kal said, grinning as they fell into their old game.

"Ten and not a minute more."

"Twenty and I'll buy the first round of drinks at the bar."

Ching snorted. "You were buying the first round anyway."

Kal chuckled and walked off, heading back to his quarters. He showered quickly and dressed, choosing comfortable clothing that was still fit for the Supreme Lord's son to be seen in public in. He rejoined his brothers and together they rode into the city, taking Kal's understated vehicle. The short trip was made in relative silence.

"Here," Kal said, to his personal attendant and driver, Jak, once the vehicle came to a stop . He handed the young man a couple of gold pieces. "Have a good afternoon. My treat."

"Thank you, my lord," Jak said, his eyes wide.

Kal was always generous with him, but never before had the prince dropped any amount of gold in his hands. Usually, it was a handful of coppers or a few silvers. In any case, it had always been enough to treat Jak to a movie, some drinks, or any number of things that he might want to do, buy, or see. This much gold could entertain him for several months, if not the entire year.

"Don't mention it," Kal said offhandedly. "You know that I appreciate your services."

Jak nodded. "Have a good afternoon, my lord. Just call when you are ready to leave." He patted his right pants pocket where he kept his phone.

"Thanks," Kal said with a smile.

He turned with Ching and Jai, and together the three brothers entered into their favorite bar. Kal waved at the bartender as they took their regular table in the far corner. This early in the afternoon, the place was pretty quiet. Since the place also served pretty decent food, a few people sat enjoying an early lunch. The presence of royalty in the bar earned them a few interested glances, but no real surprise. Kal and his brothers had long ago started making their presence in the city known. They had agreed that it was better to walk among the people and see the world that they lived in first hand. How could they ever hope to lead Krypton effectively if they stayed locked behind the walls of the palace? Kal, in particular, enjoyed being among the common men and women that they ruled over. He made it a point to acquaint himself with as many of them as possible. Ching thought that was taking things a little too far. It was one thing to interact with the commoners. It was quite another to become overly friendly with them.

The manager approached their table as soon as they sat. The three gave their orders; they hardly ever veered from their usual sandwich and drink requests. The manager scurried away to fill their order, bowing profusely at the three young lords as he did so. Kal glanced around at the familiar bar, feeling relieved to be beyond the palace walls. It was always a breath of fresh air for him to be among the common people. Though his father afforded Kal and his brothers as much freedom as he could, life in the palace was sometimes far too formal and stuffy for Kal's liking.

"Feels good to get out of the palace," Kal said, voicing his thoughts.

Ching nodded. "It does."

"Zara didn't want to come?" Kal asked.

Zara sometimes liked to come along on the brothers' excursions into the city. She didn't always accompany them, but it had been a while since she had last tagged along. Kal didn't mind either way. He loved Zara well enough, but sometimes it was nice just to have some time alone with his brothers.

"She...thought it best that...just the three of us go together this time," Ching said, choosing his words carefully.

"You told her, didn't you?"

Ching nodded warily. "I had to, Kal. The palace staff are already starting to prepare for the ceremony and feast. I thought it would be better if she heard the whole truth, not the half rumors that are floating around."

Kal sighed. "You're right. So...what then? She sent you two to provide me with some sort of distraction? Is that why we're in the city today?"

Jai and Ching exchanged an uneasy glance. Kal did not miss the look and nodded in understanding.

"Are you mad?" Jai asked.

Kal sighed again. "No. In fact, in a way, it's kind of nice to be distracted."

Jai grinned widely. "So...what should we do first today?"

"I don't know," Kal said, shrugging. "I don't mind just wandering. Anything to take my mind off what's to come. I mean, what if I don't like her? What if...what if she hates me?"

"Why would she hate you?" Jai asked, surprised at Kal's concern.

"Well, " Kal said, searching for the right words, "she's being thrown into the same situation as me. She's never met me. What if...I don't measure up to her expectations?"

"You're a prince," Ching said, shrugging. "She'll probably feel privileged to have been chosen for you."

"I don't know about that..."

"Look, Kal, I'm not saying that I agree with this," Ching reassured him. "You know that I hate the idea of arranged marriages as much as you do. Still, you have to admit, the Lyne family might be well regarded, but for a noble house, they aren't that well off. Your future wife...Lois...will be better off married to you."

Kal made an exaggerated grimace, but did not reply as the manager approached their table again. The portly man quickly placed each of the lords' orders before them on the table, then retreated to collect payment from two other men who had finished their meal. Kal swirled his glass of wine absent-mindedly before taking a sip. It wasn't the refined wine served in the palace, but it was about as good as the barkeep could afford, and Kal liked it well enough.

"You know," Jai said, swallowing a bite of his lunch, "you have a real gift for worrying. And aside from what Ching said, you're forgetting the obvious."

"And that is...?"

Jai spread his arms as if to embrace the room. "We are three very good looking guys. Now, sure, I'm the best looking one, but that's beside the point."

Kal nearly choked on his wine as a burst of laugher seized him. Jai grinned widely and Ching slapped Kal on the back.

"Jai-El, the modest," Ching laughed.

The rest of their lunch was spent talking of happier things. Kal felt himself relaxing a bit as he and his brothers joked around. Some of his worries seemed to melt away. When he had finished, Kal stood and paid the bill despite the barkeep's insistence that the meal was on him. Jai and Ching were into their second round of drinks, and playing a trivia game that appeared on the video screens placed around the room. Kal knew that he had at least forty-five minutes before his brothers would be ready to leave the bar, and longer if they opted for a third round of drinks. He wanted some time alone to wander the city, so he waved off Jai's request that he stay and have another drink with them.

At last, he managed to leave his brothers behind. Exiting the bar, he lost himself among the throngs of people rushing from place to place. His pace was swift and purposeful. He was, he thought, a man on a mission. The passersby barely gave him any mind as they swirled around him to either side. A few openly stared at the prince as he walked by them. But most were too wrapped in their thoughts and private affairs to even notice the royalty in their midst. Kal barely noticed the stares. His mind was fixed on his goal. It had taken root in his mind when Jai had mentioned his gift for worrying, and had steadily grown and flowered in his mind as he had eaten his lunch. Why not try to break the ice with his bride-to-be with a gift? At first, he had been at a loss. What could he possibly give his future wife that she might like? Finally, it had hit him. How could he possibly go wrong with a piece of jewelry?

Suddenly, he found himself at the shop that he was looking for. As he entered, a small silver bell rang, alerting the owner to the presence of a customer. The owner was a tall, thin, and balding old man by the name of Len Shan. He bowed deeply when as he recognized Kal. Kal offered the man a friendly smile as he approached the counter.

"My lord, you honor me with your presence. How may I serve you today?" Len said as he bowed.

Kal took a moment as he swept his eyes around the room. The sheer volume of things to choose from was overwhelming. Gems of all shapes, sizes, and colors sparkled beneath the pristine glass cases that lined three quarters of the shop. Did he want a ring? A bracelet? A necklace? Earrings? Did Lois even have pierced ears? What about an elegant watch? An ankle bracelet? His head was already swimming, and he felt like he was in danger of drowning at any moment.

"I'm not exactly sure," Kal admitted. "I'm looking for something special."

"Might I be so bold as to guess that it is for the lady you are to wed?" Len asked, his eyes downcast.

Kal chuckled. "Word does spread quickly. But yes. That's why I am here. I want something elegant, but unique. Something that isn't overly flashy. Understated, yet brilliant and beautiful." He sighed. "Sorry. I don't think I'm being very helpful. In fact, I think I'm making myself even more confused than I was a minute ago."

Len looked Kal in the eyes and smiled. "Ah, but you have been helpful, my lord. I think that together, we can find this special piece. I have many fine and rare items. Let me bring some of them out for you to see."

Kal nodded, and the thin man began to breeze around the shop with the air of one who knows exactly where everything is. Rings, necklaces, earrings, and bracelets all appeared before the young prince with a speed that seemed incapable of coming from the aged man. Kal inspected each one of the pieces in turn. All were beautiful, but none seemed to really speak to him. One by one, he ruled each of them out. A look of apprehension flickered in the shopkeeper's eyes. Kal sighed inwardly. This was the one thing that he disliked about being in the city. Everyone seemed to be afraid of offending the princes, as though they might order them into the city jail if they displeased the brothers.

Kal shook his head. "I'm sorry. None of these feel right to me. I thank you for your time anyway."

Len frowned and thought. Kal turned and made ready to leave the shop.

"Wait!" Len exclaimed. "My lord! Please! I had forgotten. A new shipment of items just arrived yesterday morning. I have it in the back. I haven't had the chance to put any of it on display yet. Perhaps there is something in that shipment that might interest you."

Kal had turned back at the man's call. He nodded. After all, Len Shan had a reputation of being the finest jeweler in the city, and of carrying the most unique pieces on the planet. If he didn't have the right piece, what hope did Kal have of finding it elsewhere? Encouraged by Kal's nod, Len swept away to the back room. A moment later, he reappeared with a heavy box. One after another, he popped open the boxes held within and placed them on the countertop before Kal. Still, nothing seemed right to the prince. He sighed lightly, becoming discouraged. Finally, Len brought out the final piece. He opened the small box and placed it before Kal for his inspection. Kal's breath caught in his throat as he gazed upon the piece. He knew in an instant that this was what he'd been looking for all along.

Nestled within the black velvet box was a multi-rayed star of pure white diamond. The multitude of facets caught the bright store lights and reflected it back. It seemed to flash and glow with the white fire of an actual star, plucked from the heavens and cooled into an icy crystal. It was not a huge gem, but it was all the more beautiful for its simple, petite elegance. A slender chain of the finest silver supported the tiny star. Kal nodded, breathless.

"This is it," he finally managed to say. "It's stunning. I've never seen anything like it before. I'll take it."

"An excellent choice, my lord," Len said, a relieved smile spreading across his face. "This particular piece is the very last thing that the designer made before his death. Truly a one of a kind item."

Kal nodded again and paid the store owner, thanking him sincerely for his help and his time, as well as his patience. Then he slipped the box into the breast pocket of his jacket, close to his heart. He only hoped that his future bride would love the necklace as much as he did.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon