Clark and Lois – The :Lost Years
Matchmaker Chronicle Volume 3

By Ken Janney

This version is rated PG-13

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Author’s Note:
This is a work of fiction however certain characters and incidents contained in this work are based upon real people and actual incidents which have been fictionalized to a certain extent.

This is the third part of a multi part saga. If you haven’t done so as yet, please read the previous Volumes. You will have a better understanding of the fundamental premises of the set if you do. I wish to express my thanks to my Beta readers Ray Reynolds and Artemis for their invaluable help. I would especially like to thank Datasprite12 for her efforts in ‘punching up’ my French dialogue. My French is *very* rusty. I was close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. This was a VERY rough draft when it first landed in their hands. Their patience with a rookie author has been exemplary.

By trade I have been a scientist for 30 years and now have been involved in Computer network admin for 10 years. I try not to use ‘techno-babble’. I will attempt to substantiate the science I cite although there may be some cases where I need to extrapolate for future discoveries. I promise that I will not simply try to ‘snow’ you with a bunch of hand waving and gibberish. My ‘hard science’ as much as is possible is just that science fact.

One absolutely critical point: In this entire series I will be dealing with time travel and multi-universe travel. It’s therefore critical that you have the concept of alternate universes and be aware of which one the story is currently in at all times. I try to make sure you know where you are by using the “Universal Locator Designation” (See authors notes. A more complete explanation will be made in the Volume to be titled TTEMPO which will include the science behind it.). Some of the differences in ULDs will be very slight, changing only at the Tau value. If you don’t keep this in mind you will easily become confused as to what is happening and think I’m simply changing the story already presented in an earlier volume when it’s actually another universe. As far as times, I will attempt to ensure that time markers are always present.

This particular story takes place after Lois and Clarks and also before the series started. In some cases I will, of necessity, be going ‘between’ the episodes. In this Volume, I’m using a number of flashbacks. In most cases the flashbacks are actual transcriptions of the dialog from the show.
These are all volumes of a single story loop. I expect to be publishing a goodly number of volumes so hang on, it’s gonna be a fun ride.

* denotes emphasis *
< denotes thoughts >
[ playback of a recording or TV Commentary]
/ telepathic communications /
(#) footnotes

Also, please read the end notes.

As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

OK, so you’ve already read a book and you haven’t even started the story yet. Thanks for your patience. Now, without further ado I present for your enjoyment:

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

“What is past is … Prologue”

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036
Local designation – Alt 1
January 1996
From “Tempus Anyone?”
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Tempus was trying to generate fear in the audience as he said, “A bomb, did he say a bomb?”

Major Domo came out shouting, “A bomb. The alien’s got a bomb.”

Tempus walked over to his lectern and said, rather calmly in a supercilious, almost insulying tone, “Everyone stand back, I will save us.”

Lois saw Tempus pick up a piece of Kryptonite as big as his fist and shouted “NO!” as she started to lunge for him. She was grabbed from behind and restrained by Major Domo.

A fearful expression came over her face as Lois watched Clark come out of the room holding the bomb. She had failed to warn him about Kryptonite and here was Tempus holding a chunk as big as his fist. Unaware of his danger he exited the back room. The back room had obviously been lined with lead by Tempus to prevent Superman from spotting him with his x-ray vision so it also shielded him from the Kryptonite while he was in it with Herb. As he walked into the studio he was saying, “You have a lot of explaining to do Mr. Temp…” He wasn’t even able to complete his statement. The radiation from the Kryptonite hit him and he collapsed to the floor writhing in agony.

The audience members turned to each other in confusion. Wondering what had caused this man that had just ripped a vault type door off of its hinges in a marvelous display of strength to collapse.

Tempus raised the hand holding the Kryptonite high over Superman in triumph as he said “I think you’re the one that owes this planet an explanation, *invader*.” He emphasized the word ‘invader’ as if in accusation.

Tempus tossed the bomb aside and then continued “You are part of an invading army, are you not?”

Clark, in pain cried “No!”

Tempus continued “You’re here to conquer us.”

Mr. Olsen jumped up and shouted, “Put those guns away! “

Major Domo threatened him with his gun.

Lois pleaded “Stop it. You’re killing him.”

Tempus replied “I’m keeping the alien at bay with the only alloy known to weaken it.”

Through the use of videotapes of Clark saving Lois and also of the two of them together when she had constructed his uniform Tempus had exposed Superman’s secret to the world.

Tempus had been pontificating when Herb confronted him with the fact that the bomb was ticking. Tempus panicked and dropped the Kryptonite next to Clark and fled for the exit which was blocked by the studio audience trying to escape. Tempus pulled a gun and started firing into the ceiling shouting, “Get out of my way.”

Lois had been struggling as she was being held by ‘Major Domo’ who was preventing her from helping Clark, but when he heard that the bomb was about to go off he released her and fled. The first thing Lois thought of was Clark. <That Kryptonite, its killing Clark. I’ve got to get rid of it. He’s so much like my Clark. I’ve got to help him.> She quickly moved over to him and bending down picked up the Kryptonite and threw it as far away as she could into a far corner of the studio. She then turned around and knelt next to Clark.

Herb had just knocked Tempus out and realized that the bomb was into its final count down before exploding. He rushed back to the stage and held the bomb out to Clark.

Clark was starting to recover from the Kryptonite exposure. He had gotten into a kneeling position. He took the bomb and tried to enclose it in his hands. He could see that too much of it remained exposed. He knew that he couldn’t completely contain the explosion that way.

Lois said, “No Clark, you’re too weak.”

Clark remembered what Lois had told him about her Clark’s introduction when he ate the bomb that she had found on the Prometheus shuttle. He was still weak from the Kryptonite exposure but he had to do something to protect the people in the studio. He needed to protect them, even if it cost him his life. So he stuffed the bomb into his mouth and covered his mouth with his hands just before the bomb exploded. He exhaled a puff of smoke and then collapsed again to the floor.

Lois was afraid that Clark had done this before the effects of the Kryptonite had lessened enough to restore his invulnerability. Lois knelt by his side and leaning down started calling his name frantically, “Clark? Clark?”

Perry said, “Is he uh … “

Lois, with a worried look on her face and fright in her voice looked up and said, “He’s not breathing.”

A woman still in the studio audience said to a companion, “He saved us. Did you see that?”

Mr. Olsen said with awe in his voice, “He was amazing.”

Lois started shaking Superman while saying <Clark please, be OK.>, “Clark, please.”

Lois was somewhat relieved a few seconds later when Clark coughed a few times and started to arise. She took his arm and helped him stand up. He patted his chest as someone might do after burping and said, “Excuse me. Ooof Is everyone alright?”

A wave of relief flooded over Lois. He was going to be all right.

Perry was in awe. He had known Clark Kent for several years now and had not had a clue that he could do these kinds of things. He was seeing him in a brand new light. He answered, ”Yeah, Yeah, we’re fine, thanks to you, Kent.”

Mr. Olsen was also looking at Clark in a new light. <What he just did was amazing. This could do wonders for circulation. I have to keep him on the staff. The *exclusives* we’ll have.> He said, “Why didn’t you tell us about yourself before?”

<This is all my fault. What can I do to correct the damage that Tempus has done.> Lois sprang to his defense and said, “I know everyone has a lot of questions, but the important thing to remember is that he is here to help.”

Herb said, “He is in every way no less than a *Superman*.”

Perry had heard what he said and it seemed to fit. He said, “Huh, Superman.” as he scratched his head in incredulity.

Mr. Olsen was anxious to make sure he didn’t lose Kent to another paper. Using a buddy-buddy type of tone he asked, “Kind of a nickname Kent?”

Clark tried to respond with, “Well I ...”

Mr. Olsen interrupted as he went on enthusiastically with “I love it … Suit’s great! Touch of the patriotic, stand alone, the muscles. White, we need to get you one of these.”

Perry somewhat embarrassed by the suggestion and feeling somewhat intimidated because of Clark’s physique in the suit responded, “Uh, uh, uh, no sir, no I ah, I think there’s only one Superman.”

Mr. Olsen on a roll and not to be deterred continued “That name, I can see it right now on the front page of the Daily Planet.” <What a boost to circulation!>

Later Lois and Clark as Superman exited the elevator into the dimly lit Planet lobby. The lobby was practically deserted since there was a rally going on outside.

Lois said, “I’m sorry the secret identity thing got blown.”

Superman replied, chuckling, “That’s alright. Honestly I don’t see how you would think a pair of glasses would keep people from recognizing me. It’s kinda ridiculous.”

Lois shook her head ruefully thinking about all that time that she had not seen through the disguise and replied, “Oh … don’t get me started. Is ah, Lana OK with this?”

Superman answered, “Lana said that … it was either her … or … Superman.”

Lois’ face fell into a sorrowful expression as she replied, “Oh Clark, I’m sorry.”

Superman, with an equally sorrowful expression replied, “I wish I felt half as bad ... about ... losing her … as I do ... about … losing … you.”

Lois sighed. <I know where this is going. I’m going to have to hurt him. I don’t want to, but, Clark is waiting for me. He is going to be frantic when he can’t find me. I have to get back to him. We’re getting married next week.>

Superman continued, “What if I asked you to stay?”

Lois sighed again <I knew it. I have to be honest with him, no matter how much it hurts. I wish he had his own Lois, but I can’t be her. I have my own Clark and I need to get back to him.> and replied, “I can’t.”

Superman replied, “But, I’m not sure how to be this. You made it happen.” <How can I convince her to stay here with me?>

Lois responded, “All I did was help you make the right choice. You’ll keep doing that. You just have to believe in yourself as much as I do.” <He’s so much like my Clark. I hate doing this to him, but I don’t have any choice. I know what I have with my Clark. I’m sure I could love this one almost as much, but, what about my Clark. He would be devastated if he lost me. I’ve only known this Clark for a few days and there is a strong attraction, but not like what I have with my Clark.>

Superman replied, “Lois, I don’t just need your help. I need … *you*.” <What else can I say to convince her that I need her here with me?>

Lois replied almost in a whisper, “So does he.” <And I need him.>

Superman replied, “What I’m trying to say is … I know this sounds crazy, but, I think I …”

Lois interrupted in a whisper with, “So does he.” <And I love him too. After all the time it took me to realize it, I’m not giving him up.>

Superman asked, “Does he know what he has?” <Maybe this will do it.>

Lois replied, “We both do.” <After all that has happened to us. All of the circumstances that have conspired to keep us apart. All the time it took us to get to where we are. You bet we know.>

Superman replied, “Well …” <I guess I need to let it and her go. Her mind is made up. I wish I was him.>

Herb approached and said, “Well, Tempus is taken care of and all is right in both universes. Except for you, my dear, are you ready?”

Lois looked at Superman and smiled then looked at Herb and said, “Yes.” <This is the best way, a quick, clean break.>

Herb said, “We’re in the alley across the street, this way.”

Lois gave Superman one last look and walked away.

Herb addressed Superman, “I say my boy, I envy you.”

Superman replied, “Me, Why?”

Herb said, “Every eye upon you. Every breath held in anticipation. You hold in your hands a world waiting to be shaped.”

Superman replied, “I’m just not sure I can …”

Herb completed for him, “That you can take on such great responsibilities? What do you think Shakespeare meant when he wrote ‘In apprehension, how like a god’? It’s not that gods are anxious about their responsibilities, but with such great weight comes great understanding; trust that Clark and trust that you’ve found your true destiny and in you a once hopeless world has found its future. Good luck to you.” Herb reached for Superman’s hand and shook it.

Superman was introduced and stepped up on the podium. With a look of pain and loss on his face he looked at Lois who was looking on from across the street. Herb walked up to Lois and said, “He’s quite a man, the Clark Kent of this world.”

With a look of compassion on her face Lois replied, “I just wish he didn’t have to be alone.” <I wish I could have helped him out, but then what about *my* Clark. Then he would have been in the same position this Clark is in and I couldn’t do that to him. We know what we have together. This Clark can only guess what it would be like with us together. Better that he doesn’t experience it beyond what we have these last few days. That’s bad enough.>

Herb replied, “The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.”

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120
Local designation – Prime (L&C Universe)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Flashback
During -”Lois and Clarks”

Clark had been trapped in a time bubble. In order to rescue him Herb needed to know the exact moment in time that he had been trapped. He was given Tempus’ watch that had been stopped by the time window’s explosion. Herb and Lois took Herb’s time sled and went after Clark. They found the time bubble he was trapped in and rescued Clark.

Outside City Hall Superman (from Alt 1) was speaking at a podium. “So John Doe was a myth created by Tempus, an escaped criminal, and planted in your brains by a sophisticated method of brain washing. He’ll return now to prison where he’ll do no further damage.”

Tempus said, “Any last words Tempus? Why, yes. I’m glad you asked. It’s time you chowder heads all got let in on a little secret. This Superman of yours … this chiseled god is in reality … *Clark Kent* of the Daily Planet.”

The gathered reporters all started shouting at Superman for comment.

Superman looked worried. <How am I going to get out of this and protect the Clark of this world’s secret?>

Tempus said, “In chess this is where I say check.”

Superman got a rather satisfied expression as he saw Lois, Clark and H. G. Wells approach from behind the crowd. The reporters at the rear of the crowd turned around at their approach and stuck microphones in their faces seeking comments.

Clark said, “Ah, Honey, I think the media would like us to comment on Mr. Tempus’ last remark.”

Lois got a self satisfied look on her face as she said, “We regret that Mr. Tempus’ mental health has not improved, he’s obviously … still … *delusional*.”

The media representatives turned back to Superman and Tempus. Superman leaned over to Tempus and said, “This is where I would say, check mate!”

As Tempus was being led away he shouted, “No, you *cretins*. He *is* Clark Kent! One of them is from another dimension. I mean … it’s obvious! Duh.”

348 Hyperion Ave.

Clark was shaking the other Clark’s hand and said, “Thanks for giving me a world to come back to.”

The other Clark said, “Thanks for giving me a legend to live up to.”

Lois moved over to give the other Clark a hug and said, “I can’t tell you how grateful I am.” She backed off to stand next to her husband. “The two of you have been wonderful.”

The other Clark replied, “So were you.”

Herb interrupted at this point by saying, “We really must be going.”

The other Clark headed for the door, but then he turned around to say to Clark, “You … are the luckiest man alive.”

Clark replied, “I know.”

With a very sad tone the other Clark said, “If my Lois had lived, my world would be a better place. Especially for me.”

He started to turn to the door again when Herb interrupted, “I’ve been meaning to ask you. She was lost in the Congo before the two of you even met?”

The other Clark replied, “Which is strange, missing someone that you’ve never even met. I tried to find her but it’s impossible.”

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” He then gave Lois and Clark a reassuring look and exited.

Lois with a sigh of relief threw her arms around Clark’s neck and kissed him and then said, “I don’t think I’m ever letting go.”

And now – The Adventure begins

Chapter 1 – Herb Makes an Offer
March 1997

Herb left 348 Hyperion Avenue with the alternate Clark and proceeded to his time sled. It was parked at a short distance away so he had a chance to talk to Clark while they walked.

“My boy, what exactly have you done to try to find your Lois?”

Still feeling bereft at losing Lois again, Clark was rather preoccupied with his own thoughts. He hadn’t thought about that when Herb had approached him the other day asking if he could help out in the other universe. Herb had told him that Clark had been trapped in time and he wasn’t sure that he would be able to rescue him. All he actually thought about was the fact that he would be seeing Lois again, and if Clark couldn’t be rescued … maybe, just maybe he could stay, so he had jumped at the chance. Now everything was returned to normal. Lois had her Clark and vice versa and he was going home alone.

Herb, noting that Clark was rather preoccupied, repeated his question. “My boy, what exactly have you done to try to find your Lois?”

Herb’s question finally registered on his consciousness. Clark wondered at this question. He replied with a somewhat despondent tone “Shortly after Lois left with you that time she was with me in my universe I went to the Congo and I personally searched the area. I had checked her itinerary so I knew when she had arrived. It had been over three years earlier. I went to Brazzaville and followed, as best as I could, her movements from the airport where she landed. She had been following up on illegal gun shipments into the Congo being supplied to the rebel forces. She must have immediately gone undercover because I lost her when she left the airport. She must have gone into the jungle country following up on some leads, but I was never able to pick up her trail.”

With a satisfied expression on his face Herb decided that he was on the right track and decided to push the issue to confirm his suspicions. “What inquiries did you make to try to follow up on her trail?”

Clark, was starting to get irritated with all of these questions asked In a sharp tone, “What are you getting at, Herb? I did everything I could think of to find her. Do you think I wouldn’t have done everything possible? Can’t you see that I wouldn’t just give up?”

With a somewhat dejected air he continued, “I went from village to village asking if anyone had seen a white woman. I had gone to the Daily Planet personnel office and found her old jacket. There was a passport size photo which I borrowed to show around. No one had any information. Eventually, I gave up. Shouldn’t I have?”

In his frustration Clark threw out his arms as if to encompass all that he had done and asked, “Did I give up too easily? She’d been missing for three years by the time I got there. The trail was cold. Could anyone have done better? Your questions seem to indicate that there was more I could have done.”

Maintaining his calm and trying to calm Clark, Herb said, “Patience, my boy, patience. All will be made clear shortly. Just bear with me for a few more questions. Did you inquire about a lone individual or one in company with others?”

“Why would I ask that? Everyone knew that she always worked alone so I always asked for a lone woman. Is that important?”

“Let’s make this hop and then we can continue, okay?” They had reached the time sled and both climbed aboard. This was Wells’ original machine which had geographical as well as temporal movement capability. While Herb was setting the controls for the chosen destination the conversation was placed on hold.

Herb set the controls to take them to a particular alley in Metropolis from which he knew that he could move to Clark’s alternate reality. This seemed to be the *only* spot from which he could move to the other Earth. He had been puzzling over this fact for some time and hadn’t come to a resolution to that problem as yet. He wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that this was the alley that Tempus used when his malfunctioning time sled crossed the universe barrier? He needed to make a note of the longitude and latitude so that he could find it in the future. Herb realized that it was going to require much more thought.

Herb used this point to point transfer site to move to the alternate universe.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036
Local designation – Alt 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

While they had been in transit, Herb had been mulling over the information he had gotten from Clark. After they arrived, Herb came to a decision. He said to Clark, “My boy, as we were leaving Lois and Clark you said that finding your Lois was ‘impossible’. Well, I never say … impossible. Would you like me to assist in your quest to find your Lois?”

Clark was somewhat startled by this question. He had accompanied Herb to the other universe and intellectually had been aware that Herb could move through time, but, it had somehow never occurred to him to ask him to assist in finding his Lois. “Are you serious? How can you help? Could you?” Suddenly it dawned on him just what might be accomplished by going back in time. “Would you do that for me?”

Herb said, “Tut, tut, my boy, of course I can and will do that. One of my goals in this life is to help move your universe in the direction of Utopia. Since the union of Clark Kent, or Superman, with his soul mate, Lois Lane is critical to that, I am more than happy to assist.”

Clark seeing hope spring anew said with growing enthusiasm, “I would appreciate any help you could give me, that’s for sure. This is more than I ever could have hoped for. I never even thought to ask for your help.”

Herb thought back to when he was trying to help Lois and Clark defeat the curse. They had changed history back in the middle ages with disastrous consequences which they had to rectify. He replied, “In the past I have intervened and it has changed the course of history, sometimes, but not always, with tragic effect and I intend to avoid doing that again. That being the case I will not simply take you back so that you can rescue her and bring her back immediately. For one thing you have not at that time as yet revealed yourself. For another we do not know what actions taken by Lois have had an impact on the current day.”

As they were getting out of the time sled Herb broached his idea “I realize that you have looked for her yourself, but, I can take you back to the point when she arrived. You were looking for her three years after she had disappeared and that was after the Congolese wars. There were probably less than a thousand Americans in the country and most of them would have been in Brazzaville. That would have improved your odds of locating her. What I propose is this. Since you know her time and location of arrival in the Congo, I can take you to that time and place.”

Herb continued to explain his thoughts on the matter as they walked to Clark’s apartment. “You asked if my question about your seeking a lone woman or one in company was important. You replied that you were always looking for a woman alone and lost the trail. That substantiates, to me at least, that perhaps she wasn’t alone and *that* is *why* you lost her. She was *accompanied* by someone - *you*.”

Clark got a hopeful expression on his face as he thought about this. “You know, you could be right! I never thought to ask for any *party* with a woman in it. Could I have really been with her??? Will I be with her??? With Lois, *my* Lois?”

After they had entered Clark’s apartment Herb continued, “Perhaps you could meet her and then manage to accompany her on her investigation. You will need to keep in mind that for part of this time you would currently be in Metropolis as Clark Kent, working at the Daily Planet and you have not been revealed to the world as Superman. You would need to assume an alias and keep your powers concealed. During this period your revelation will occur so in order to avoid a conflict with that you must ensure that Lois is unaware of your powers unless and until you’re sure of your relationship and she is prepared to be told all of the truth.”

“I’ll do whatever I need to do to be with her. Don’t you know that by now, Herb?”

“By taking you back to join her in her investigation, we *may* be altering things *slightly*.” Herb said, “However I’m of the opinion that what we see as the current state of things *includes* any activities you may have taken part in while in the past. Your activities will simply be a part of what we now know as the past.”

Clark was shocked at this possibility. With wonder in his voice he said, “Wow, I wonder what we did. Well, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. One thing I do know, that story was never filed. What could have prevented us from filing that story?”

Herb thought for a few seconds before continuing. “Ideally, we should go back to some time *before* her arrival so that you can establish yourself. When she arrives you should be ready to meet her, either as a colleague or casually. That will be up to you.”

Thinking over the alternatives for a few seconds before continuing, Herb finally said, “I’ll leave you at that point. I’ll return at one year intervals. I’ll make the date easy to remember, let’s meet on your birthday, February 28th, each year and meet at Livingston Falls. I’ll be there from noon until 3 PM local. Keep in mind that this is going to be a long trip, possibly as much as five years, however, you will be able to return immediately after we depart openly and hopefully have Lois with you. To all intents and purposes you will have only been gone a couple of minutes as far as any observer could determine. The time we just spent helping Lois and Clark in the other universe did not translate to an equal amount of time here in your universe. If you check you will find that we returned about five minutes after we left even though we were in their universe for several days. During this period you will need to avoid any overt paradoxes. You know where and when you performed your search and you should make a concerted effort to avoid meeting yourself at those times.”

Clark gave the offered plan some consideration and saw the wisdom displayed in it. And with a nod, Clark accepted the offered advice. He had this nagging feeling nibbling around the edges of his mind. It finally crystallized into a thought which he was able to express. “Wait a minute. If I come back to my own time and Lois is with me just minutes after I left, how do I explain it? She was missing and presumed dead and suddenly she is back home with me at the same age as when she left? Surely you don’t want time travel to be public knowledge? A super-powered man openly flaunting his abilities is one thing, but a time-traveling one is another.”

Reaching up Herb removed his bowler hat and moving his hands around the rim spun it in his hands. Obviously this was a nervous habit that Herb had developed over the years and was done without thought. After mulling over Clark’s statement for a time he admitted, “By Jove that was a good thought there. Time-travel confuses even me sometimes.”

Never being one to pace Herb walked over to Clark’s easy chair and sat down. With a frown creasing his brow he thought for a while and then jumping back up faced Clark again. “How’s this? We’ll bring you both back to the present perhaps a week later. You can say you found her in present day Republic of the Congo. By then she’ll know about your special abilities and you two can make up a story about what she was doing during those five years?”

This idea seemed to resolve the problem but Clark worried that he had found a fatal flaw in Herb’s plan even before he could execute it and he stood there looking apprehensive. After he had had a chance to mull over Herb’s suggestion for some time he sighed in relief and a huge smile broke out on his face. “Good enough for me, I’m sure we can come up with something believable. Maybe she had amnesia or she was confined in a hospital due to illness.” he exclaimed.

Now wishing to convey his good wishes on this endeavor Herb continued with a very upbeat tone in his voice, “I envy you, my boy, on the adventure you are undertaking. Just think, for the next five years you will have the opportunity to get to know the Lois Lane of this world. You will have the opportunity to be her friend, confidant and protector. Who knows but that by the end of that time you may even be married and return as husband and wife? Stranger things have happened.”

Clark was becoming more and more enthusiastic as Herb continued to talk. “This is really going to work! I’ll be able to be with her. I wonder how she will react to me. I know that with the other Lois I felt a connection. It’s hard to describe, you know, but when we touched I didn’t want to let go.”

As Clark thought about this a bemused expression came over his features, <It was like the connection formed a bond uniting our two bodies into one. Not like in sex, but still a physical joining. Lois said that she felt it too, but that what she had with her Clark was stronger. I don’t know how that could be. I was so *drawn* to her I didn’t want her to go back to him. I wanted her to stay with me. This last time with her was torture, but, seeing her with her Clark, how they reacted to each other, I can see that they were meant to be together. I can only hope that I’ll find the same thing with *my* Lois.>

Herb, noting the expression on Clark’s face wondered exactly what he was thinking but decided not to pry. He cleared his throat to get Clark’s attention and then said, “Clark, I need a new supply of gold for the time sled. While you’re mining that for me you should probably mine some for yourself. You will not have a source of income in 1992. You may wish to consider finding some precious gems as well. Pound for pound they are more valuable than gold and you can easily convert gems into currency“

Clark flew off and returned in about an hour with several bags full of gold nuggets and a smaller bag full of uncut gem stones. Herb said that a part of one bag would be adequate for his needs and that he should carry the remainder with him to deposit in a bank when they arrived in the proper time. Clark then started packing for the trip. He was thinking exclusively of tropical clothing and so packed suitable suits and casual clothes. He added a driver’s license and passport in the name of Charles King which he had commonly used when going undercover. He also had Daily Planet ID in that name so he could be a colleague if he chose to be. Once these preparations were completed they were ready to go.

Herb didn’t need to be a keen observer to see the level of excitement being manifested by Clark and he felt the need to caution him. “Clark, your dream is about to come true, your dream of being united with your Lois. I’m glad that I can do this for you. I just hope that it turns out all right. But I must caution you that we are in uncharted territory here. I have made some assumptions, but I cannot be sure how this will affect history. My assumptions may or may not be the case. Only time will tell. That has always seemed an odd aphorism to me but how true it is. Only *time* *will* tell how this will turn out and how it will affect history.” Herb set the time and space coordinates to a little more than two months prior to Lois’ arrival at Brazzaville and for the outskirts of that city and they set off.

One of the things about the time sled that Herb liked was the fact that you could see where you were and what was happening outside of the time bubble that was created by the flux facilitator. They were able to observe as the Atlantic Ocean was crossed and laughed at the aircraft and ships that they saw moving in reverse as they traveled backwards in time. When they reached the vicinity of Brazzaville Herb made a side trip. By keeping the flux facilitator active and manipulating the geo controls he was able to move them to Livingston Falls so that they could select a meeting spot for the future. “Remember, I will be here sometime between noon and 3 PM local time on February 28 each year.” They then returned to Brazzaville and ‘parked’ on the outskirts.

comments go here

To be continued in Chapter 2 – Daily Planet - Brazzaville

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:24 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj