Summary: They say that the first year of marriage is the hardest. No statement is ever truer than when Kal-El, Prince of Krypton is forced into a marriage that he never knew about. But it may just be the best thing that has ever happened to him, if he only lets it be. An alternate universe story.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. I make nothing. All characters, plot points, and recognizable dialogue belong to DC comics, Warner Brothers, December 3rd Productions and anyone else with a stake in the Superman Franchise. I don't own Ruce A'ne either. He too, belongs to DC comics and anyone else with a stake in the Batman franchise. I do, however, own Fasa, who is modeled (mostly) on my orange tabby, Mufasa.

Author's Note: This plot bunny was spawned by a discussion on the Lois and Clark fanfiction message boards, speculating on what might happen if Lois and Clark were forced into a marriage for some reason or another. Of course, my muse immediately rubbed her hands gleefully together and went to work on the idea. For this story, please imagine Krypton as resembling Earth, but as being way more technologically advanced. Their society, however, is more archaic, with lords and a common class, and one Supreme Lord of the planet.

Kudos: To Female Hawk, for giving me the idea to set this on Krypton, thanks to her wonderful story, "The Wedlock Wall."

Extra Love And Thanks: Go out to AntiKryptonite, for being the world's best, and most patient, beta reader! Thanks hun! As always, your suggestions have made my work so much better.

The Price of Privilege

Prince Kal-El strolled down the worn dirt pathway, hands swinging slightly at his sides. A gentle, warm breeze caressed him as he walked, and the fresh smell of rain-washed soil filled his nostrils. He breathed deeply, enjoying the scent, and a smile crossed his lips. Trees lined the path to either side, forming a sort of green, leafy tunnel for him to walk through. Some sunlight filtered through the branches above, dappling the ground with patches of shadows and light. Birds chirped all around, their myriad voices bringing another smile to the prince's lips. He began to whistle a little tune of his own.

The attack came without warning.

Two figures jumped from the trees as Kal passed beneath a strong oak and a sturdy maple. The prince planted his feet, instantly assuming a battle stance. Just two attackers. He could do this. In fact, he shouldn't have any real problem with this fight. Not against these two, at any rate.

The first man came at him. Kal sidestepped at the last second, ducked, and rushed headfirst into the gut of the other man. He caught the man off guard. His attacker doubled over, the wind knocked from him. Kal spun to face the first attacker. The man ran at the prince again. Kal let him come. At the last moment, Kal shifted his position. Instead of crashing into Kal, the man found himself caught in the prince's grasp. Kal used the momentum to flip the man. The attacker hit the ground, flat on his back. A grunt escaped him as he hit the dirt. The second man had recovered by now and the prince spun to meet him. The man brought his arm back to slug the prince, but Kal was aware of his intentions. He deftly caught the fist in his palm, squeezed tight, and twisted the man's wrist until he yelped in pain. Kal swept his foot around in the same instant, bringing it behind the man's knees. The man stumbled and fell as Kal released his grip on his fist.

Kal grabbed a low hanging branch from the maple tree. He swung his body back and forth, until he had the momentum that he wanted. With a final push forward, he launched himself at the younger of the two attackers. His feet firmly collided with the man's chest, sending him flying backwards. The man hit the ground with a heavy thud and a groan. The older of the two men threw himself at Kal's legs. Kal fell forward, hitting the ground face first. He kicked hard, trying to shake the man. His right foot caught the man in his shoulder, and the man grunted with pain. It was enough to break the man's grip on Kal's legs. Kal scrambled quickly to his feet. He was about to launch another attack when a deep voice spoke out.

"End simulation."

The world around Kal and his attackers shimmered and vanished. Kal and the others froze in their tracks, breathing hard. They were no longer in the sunny outdoors. Instead, they found themselves looking at the stark gymnasium in the basement level of the Supreme Lord's palace. Beyond the walls, thunder rumbled in the night and rain lashed at the high windows. A flicker of lightning briefly illuminated the night. All three of the men looked up to see the Supreme Lord of Krypton, their father, Jor-El. He was watching them intently, but no expression showed on his face.

"Dad?" Kal asked, as he reached down to help his older brother, Ching, from the thick black mats that lined the floor. Ching took the proffered hand as he hauled himself to his feet. "We were just having a little fun."

"I know you were. And I dislike interrupting. But, Kal, I need to speak with you," Jor-El said simply. His voice gave nothing away. "Get yourself cleaned up and meet me in my chambers."

"Is everything all right?" Kal asked, concerned.

He could usually tell from his father's voice if he was in a good mood or not, but this time, he had nothing to go on. It worried him more than if he knew for a certainty that his father was mad.

Jor-El nodded. "There is a matter which I need to discuss with you. I would rather not get into it here. I know that you'll probably tell these two as soon as we are finished speaking. You always do. But I'd rather that you and I discuss things in private first."

Kal nodded in return, swallowing around the sudden lump of fear that had formed in his throat. "I will be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you."

Jor-El turned and swiftly exited the room. Kal turned to his younger half-brother, Jai, and helped him to his feet as well. Jai dusted himself off and rearranged his shirt, which had twisted around his body somewhat in the fight. He grimaced as he watched Jor-El's retreating form.

"Wonder what Dad wants," Jai said, wondering aloud. "I couldn't tell if it was something good or bad."

"Me neither," Kal sighed. "And that worries me."

"Well, better you than me," Jai said with a grin, trying to lighten the mood.

Kal laughed despite himself and slapped Jai on the back. "Thanks a lot."

"Anytime," Jai winked at him.

"Best not to keep him waiting," Ching said, rubbing his shoulder where Kal had kicked him. "Let's hit the showers."

Together, the three brothers exited the gymnasium and meandered through the rest of the gym facility. Only a few machines were still in use this late in the evening. A few of the Council Elders still remained. Ken Tai was busy with a set of weights while Trey leisurely strolled on a treadmill, his gaze fixed on one of the video monitors that hung from the ceiling. A couple of the palace security guards were talking idly while they worked their arms and legs on some of the other machines. Kal didn't care to look and see who else was there. His mind was a hundred miles away. What could his father possibly want to speak with him about? He sighed softly and followed Ching's lead to the locker room. As if on autopilot, he barely registered as he unlocked his private locker, gathered his things, and headed into the shower.

"You pulled a few good moves in our fight, Kal," Ching said approvingly, over the splash of the water.

"Thanks," Kal replied, lathering his ebony hair with shampoo, then rinsing it out again. "Told you I could take you both on and win."

"I'd hardly call that winning," Ching said, his voice echoing from the neighboring shower stall.

"I had you both flat out on your backs," Kal said, defending his victory. "We've always agreed that disabling the attackers constitutes winning."

"I agree with Ching," Jai said, from the stall on the other side of Kal. "If Dad hadn't come in and stopped us, we would have beaten you. I still had plenty of fight left in me."

Kal snorted slightly to himself. The way he saw it, he'd had both of his attackers on the ground. Had it been a real fight, he would have simply knocked them both unconscious and fled the scene, or he would have found some way to bind them tightly and have the palace security or perhaps the army take them away. He'd have to schedule another mock battle with his brothers soon, he decided. Then he'd prove them wrong with a decisive victory. Though all three had served in Krypton's military, Kal was by far the strongest of them, though not the most aggressive. He'd actually been relieved when a knee injury two years ago had forced his early release from the military. He still trained his body like a soldier, and although his knee had since healed, too much stress on the joint still occasionally gave him some trouble with it.

"Just you wait," he said, his voice a teasing promise. "Next time there will be no dispute over the winner." He reached for the soap and tweaked the temperature of the water so that it was as hot as he could stand.

"Fifty gold coins say that Ching and I wipe the floor with you," Jai said. Kal could just picture the big, goofy grin plastered on Jai's face.

"You're on," Kal said with a laugh. "Easiest fifty coins I'll make."

Kal kept his voice as light and airy as he could manage. Inside, though, he was nervous. He kept hearing his father's voice in his mind, the words replaying over and over. His eyes barely saw his surroundings. Instead, he saw only Jor-El's expressionless face. A deep sense of foreboding pervaded Kal's entire body as he decided that his father couldn't possibly be waiting to give him any sort of good news. If he had, there would have been at least a hint of a smile or sparkle in his eyes. Kal would have heard the laughter coloring the edges of Jor-El's words. No, Kal was certain that bad news was coming. He just wished that he could figure out what that news might be in regards to, so that he might be able to prepare himself.

Kal gave his body a final rinse, then turned the water off and swiftly dried and dressed. Moving out of the shower room, he scrutinized his appearance in a mirror. He finger combed a few locks of hair into place and smoothed down a small crease on his shirt. A fine shadow of stubble had sprouted on his cheeks and chin; he'd get to them in the morning. He wasn't sure that he trusted himself with a razor blade at the moment; his hands were shaking ever so slightly as he worried over his imminent meeting with his father. Finally satisfied, he made ready to leave the room, throwing his sweaty clothing into the laundry chute and relocking his locker.

"Hey," Jai said, poking out from the shower room and towel drying his hair. "You'll let us know how things turn out, right?"

Kal couldn't help but to smile at his half-brother. "Don't I always?"

"Good. You know you can talk to me any time, day or night. My door is always open." He paused. "Except for tonight. I've got Nita coming tonight."

Kal shook his head. "Another concubine? Jai..."

"Hey," Jai said, a little defensively, "just because you and Ching choose not to partake of the professional care services, doesn't mean that I have to follow suit."

Kal shook his head again. It was no use arguing with Jai; he and Ching had already had this same argument with their brother numerous times, and had never gotten anywhere. Although Jai himself was son of Jor-El and one of the concubines, a Mia O'sen, Jai had never seen anything wrong with taking full advantage of the women that the palace kept on staff for the lords' pleasures. At least, Kal thought to himself, his mother, Lara, had taken Jai in like one of her own after Mia had died birthing the half-prince. Kal smiled wistfully at the memory of his mother. Sometimes, he still couldn't believe that it had already been twelve years since her own passing.

"I know. I know," he said, placating his brother. "See you in the morning then."

The prince made good time as he set a quick, purposeful stride through the palace. It was far better just to man up and face whatever his father had to discuss with him. Stalling for time would only make things worse for him in the long run. Before long, he reached the door to his father's private chambers, on the uppermost level of the palace. He hesitated for a long minute, trying to quell the butterflies in his stomach. Finally, he gathered up enough courage and knocked resolutely on the door.

"Enter," he heard his father's muffled voice say from beyond the thick wood.

Kal took a deep breath, steadied himself, and released the breath again. He firmly grasped the handle and pulled the door open. Holding his head high, he crossed the threshold into the Supreme Lord's living quarters. Jor-El sat before him in a plush, high backed armchair, in front of his large fireplace. A cheerful fire blazed merrily in the hearth. As Kal watched, his father gently closed the book he'd been reading and set it on the side table next to his chair. Jor-El sighed and Kal thought that his father seemed to have aged in the thirty or so minutes since he'd requested that Kal join him in his quarters. Concern gnawed at Kal's mind and heart.

"I came as quickly as I could," Kal said, bowing slightly. Never before had he felt so awkward in his father's presence. Jor-El managed a weak, nervous smile, and Kal recognized the uncertainty behind it. That unnerved him even more. "Is everything all right, Dad?"

Jor-El nodded absently, searching for the words to begin. "Everything is fine, Kal. I'm sorry if I have worried you. I've been debating how best to approach this with you, and nothing has seemed right. Please, sit."

The prince did as he was bid, and Jor-El poured him a glass of rich, dark wine from a bottle that stood on the table with his book. He passed the glass to his son. Kal swirled the liquid around and inhaled the heady scent. His eyes widened a little as he recognized the rare bouquet.

"Aged one hundred years," Jor-El said, in response to his son's questioning look. "Some of the finest wine ever produced."

"This must be quite the discussion that you have planned," Kal said guardedly.

The Supreme Lord sighed and nodded. "Kal, do you remember when you were very young, and Ching came down with a case of the Red Fever?"

Kal shook his head. "I've heard stories of that time, but I don't have any memory of it. My professors used to say only that it was one of the worst epidemics ever to sweep across this planet. Hundreds of thousands died. Millions were infected before Dr. Lyne found a way to treat and cure the disease."

Jor-El nodded. "Not one of the worst. The worst. It doesn't surprise me that you don't remember it though. You were just barely two years old at the time."

Kal grew more concerned. "Is...there isn't another outbreak, is there?"

His father shook his head. "No. Nothing that dire."

Kal breathed a sigh of relief, but shook his head. "I'm afraid that I don't understand what the Red Fever has to do with anything then."

Jor-El's gaze focused to some point that was a hundred miles away as he lost himself to the memory. "Ching was only six. Such a tiny child. He somehow caught the virus towards the end of that epidemic and he grew weaker by the day. I was terrified that I would lose him and that you or Jai or Lara would catch it as well. I summoned the best doctors to his aid, but none could help. So, finally, I pleaded with Samm, though we had always been rivals. I begged him to find a way to save my boy. I begged him to find a way to save our planet. He agreed to do all that he could. He admitted that he'd already begun trying to find a cure, but that he didn't have the resources that he needed to be of any real use. So I furnished him with a lab and all the equipment that he could possibly want or need. I pulled every able-bodied scientist and doctor to assist him. And I promised him that if he succeeded, he could have anything that he wanted. He had only to name his price, and I would gladly pay it. It took him two long, sleepless weeks, but he finally isolated the germ that was causing the illness, and found a way to kill it. Your brother was the first to receive the cure. Within a day he was as healthy as ever and was able to come out of the quarantine that we had been forced to keep him in."

Kal nodded warily. "I don't think that I've ever heard that story before."

Jor-El continued as if Kal hadn't spoken. He seemed completely lost to his memories. "Samm and his assistants worked around the clock to produce enough of the cure to treat all of those who remained alive. But the damage had been done. Hundreds of thousands had succumbed to the virus. When it was all over, I swore to uphold my end of the bargain. Samm could name his price. He must have known what he wanted from the very start. He never hesitated to name it when I approached him. We drew up a contract that very evening and never spoke of it again. Until now. Now the time has come for me to pay what I owe."

Kal's brow crinkled in confusion. "And what is it that you owe him?"

"You."

Kal choked as he swallowed a sip of the exquisite wine. "Me?"

"At the time of the Red Fever, Samm and his wife, Elle, were expecting their first child, a girl. He wanted the child to have the best possible future. She would need to be betrothed to some noble lord's son for that to happen. You know that the Lyne family isn't well off, even as far as the lesser noble houses are concerned. And, I admit, I saw a personal gain in the matter. Samm had always been my rival in every way. Politics, professional matters, even in dueling matches. Lesser noble or not, he had the ear of many of the Elders. And so, I saw an opportunity to make him my ally. I did not balk at his price. We arranged a marriage between his unborn daughter and you."

"What?" Kal asked, blinking in surprise, his mouth agape. "Why have you never told me about this?"

"I guess...I guess I always assumed that you would anticipate having a marriage arranged. It is the way of things among the nobility."

"Yes," Kal agreed, a hint of venom in his voice. "It does seem to be the way of the nobility. Selling their children into marriages just to improve their own business dealings."

"Kal...you don't understand."

Kal shook his head, becoming angrier. "Oh, I understand perfectly well. Your back was against the wall, and since Ching was already bound to Zara since birth, you only had one son left to give away. Well, one trueborn son. You couldn't promise away Jai. Only half his blood is royal, after all."

"Kal..."

"But there's something else that I just don't get. Until tonight, I never even knew that Dr. Lyne had any children, let alone that I was to marry his daughter!"

Jor-El sighed. "He has two girls. Lois and Luci. He has no sons, a point of shame to him, as I understand it. Marrying off the girls to noblemen was his only chance of securing them a comfortable future."

"And which am I to wed?" Kal asked in a bitter voice.

"Lois."

"Lois," Kal said, trying the name out. It came out sounding more like a death knell than a name.

"Son, I know that I should have told you sooner. I just never really knew how to bring it up."

"Why now?"

"Our contract stated that Lois would need to turn twenty-one before the marriage could be valid. That was today."

Kal put down his glass of wine when he realized that his grip on it had become so tight that he was in danger of shattering the delicate crystal. He'd hardly touched the wine, and although it was one of the best that he had ever tasted, he found now that he had no desire for it. He stood and crossed the room to the large windows that overlooked the gardens. Not much could be seen in the pounding rain, though the occasional flash of lightning offered fleeting glimpses of the rain-slicked trees and shrubs. A heavy silence blanketed the room, punctuated only by the rumbling of thunder and the rain lashing the glass of the windows. Kal thought that the raging storm fit his mood perfectly.

"Mom knew of this?" Kal finally asked in a quiet voice.

Jor-El nodded, though Kal was not looking at him. "Yes."

"And she never said anything either." It was half a question, half a statement of fact.

"I asked her not to. I don't think she would have known how to tell you either. She was never happy with the circumstance surrounding the contract. She felt as you do. She felt that I had all but bartered your life for Ching's."

"And you? Do you agree?"

Jor-El sighed as he thought. "Yes and no. I regret that things happened the way that they did. But I do not regret the match. I have met the girl you are to marry a few times when I have gone to visit with Samm. She is a rare beauty and a sweet girl. I think this match is a good thing."

Kal snorted. "Right. Because all that matters is what the girl looks like." His voice was hard and cynical.

"Kal," Jor-El gently ventured after a moment.

"I want to see this contract," Kal said, acidly cutting his father off. He turned to face him, his features hard in his anger.

The Supreme Lord nodded. "I thought that you might."

He handed the prince a slim, leather bound folder from where it sat beneath the book he'd been reading. Kal took it and flipped it open. Just two pages were inside, written in Trey's neat script. Kal would recognize the Elder's handwriting anywhere. At the end, he recognized his father's neat but sprawling signature, Dr. Lyne's tight, spidery script, and the signatures of two of the Elders who'd borne witness to the contract. Kal turned back to the window and silently read the contract to himself, using the light of the fire to see by. He read it over three times to himself, looking for some loophole to get himself out of this undesired situation. But his heart sunk lower at each reading. The contract was iron-clad. No loophole existed.

"Kal, please say something," his father prodded him. He sounded genuinely nervous at Kal's silence.

"I had always thought that maybe my situation might be different," the prince said, his back to his father as he gazed out at the storm. His voice had lost some of its venom and had turned soft and low. "I had always hoped that when it came time for me to marry, that it might be to a woman of my own choosing. Someone that I would love. I don't want this, Father."

"You will marry her," the Supreme Lord said, his voice brooking no argument. "You have no choice."

"And if I refuse?" Some of Kal's anger began to seep back into this voice.

"Kal, I have never needed to order you to do anything. Please, don't make me start now. You will marry the girl, and I will not hear any further arguments. Is that understood?"

The prince sighed and dragged his fingers through his now dry hair. "If it pleases you, I will take my leave now, Father."

"Go," Jor-El said, sighing in his turn, and waving towards the door. "I'm sorry, my son. Please believe that."

Kal nodded his acknowledgement as he left the windows and came around the armchairs. He dropped the contract on the side table as though it were a poisonous snake. He stared at the flames that were dancing in the fireplace for a long, thoughtful moment.

"One last question. When will this happen? Or am I to guess at that as well?"

"In two weeks' time."

"What?" Kal asked, incredulous.

"In two weeks, Samm and his daughters will arrive and the ceremony will be held. I already have the palace staff on alert to make this an event to remember."

Kal swallowed hard. He had thought for sure that he would have more time. Two weeks was hardly anything. And it seemed that he would not be given a chance to meet his bride-to-be beforehand. It was all very disturbing to the prince. He shook his head in a silent protest, then squared his shoulders and exited the room without another word. Jor-El watched him go, a look of pain crossing his features.

Through sheer willpower, Kal kept his head held high as he made his way to his own living quarters. He opened the door and entered into his living room, then shut the door behind him. His shoulders slumped as he leaned against the solid wood. All of his energy seemed to drain from his body, leaving him feeling exhausted. He leaned the back of his head against the door for a few minutes and closed his eyes. His father's words echoed in his mind. His heart was heavy. True, it wasn't as though Kal had his heart set on marrying another. He hadn't yet met a woman special enough to give his heart to. But to be ordered - no, sold! - into a marriage with someone he'd never met, let alone knew existed, hurt beyond words.

"I'm the second son," he whispered to himself. "Ching should have been the only one to be matched like this. I'm only the second son. Maybe that makes my life worth less than Ching's?"

He pushed himself from the door and moved to the bedroom where he stripped out of his clothes. He carefully put them aside and then slipped into his sleep clothes. Sighing, he moved to his favorite recliner in the living room. He glanced at the cold hearth, considered lighting a fire, then decided against it. The darkness matched his mood all too perfectly. He sat heavily in the chair and watched the storm as it continued to rage beyond the floor to ceiling windows. He sat forward in the chair and rested his head in his hands.

How had this happened? One minute, he'd been living his life exactly as he'd wanted it. He'd been carefree and happy. In the next, he'd discovered that his life had been sold for the life of his brother. He'd instantly been saddled with a life that was no longer under his own control. He didn't regret that Dr. Lyne had been able to save Ching. He didn't regret that the whole planet had been saved. He regretted only the price of that salvation. But what could he really do? His hands were tied. He couldn't make a liar out of his father. Running away from the palace to pursue some anonymous life would never work. His father would employ every spy and member of the planet's military to find him. And he couldn't embarrass his father by refusing to show at the ceremony. Kal simply had no choice. His fate was sealed. He hoped only that being married to this stranger would be bearable.

To be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon