G Version

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ denotes telepathic communication/

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously –

She continued, “I don’t know how it happened, but, suddenly I *knew* that I was Lois Lane and exactly who and what Clark was and what he *meant* to me and I to him. I have the memories of sixty years of marriage to this man and I look forward to adding another sixty or more years of memories to them.”

“Daddy, that’s how I can confidently say to you that no fairy tale princess could have a better Prince Charming. I know how I will be *loved* and *cherished* and *protected*, actually now not only by this man beside me but by the entire family, my children.”

Lori, with a wistful look continued, “I know that is hard to accept, but, they *are* my children none the less. I can *remember* every minute of labor with each of them. I can *remember* breast feeding each and every one. I can *remember* each scrape and bruise, before they became invulnerable of course. I can *remember* comforting them when they began hearing hurtful or embarrassing comments because their superhearing suddenly started working. I can *remember* the fires each of them started when their heat vision came on. So many things. So many *happy* memories. I will be having more children with this man. Together we will create the next generation of supermen.”

“Wow. I am overwhelmed,” Phil said looking over at Doris “What do you think?”

“Phil, honey, I had an opportunity to spend some time with Clark before you got home. I like him and from everything I have heard I believe he loves Lori and she loves him. He sure looks like he’s in his twenties. If he is going to make her happy, I’m happy for them.”

Phil asked, “How much should we tell Liz and Larry?”

Clark replied, “As far as Liz and Larry are concerned, let’s just tell them that I’m associated with the Superman Foundation and I know the supermen and superwomen. When they meet my family we don’t need to mention that they are my children.”

After thinking about this for a few seconds Phil replied, “Okay that should work. Where do we go from here?

Lori spoke up, “We really don’t want to wait. Would you mind if we were married tonight?

And Now –

Chapter 13 – A Very Short Engagement

“Well, I guess with all of these memories to go on, a long engagement isn’t really needed. Doris, what do you think?”

Lorelei pulled out the ring and placed it on her finger.

As someone in a state of shock because of how fast things were happening, Doris replied, “Tonight will be fine, but, how can that be done?”

Clark said, “I would like to clarify one thing. This wedding will only be so that we can be together. I would like Lori to have a big, church wedding. I think it should be next summer, after she graduates.” Turning to Lori, he said, “I imagine that you have some friends from school and growing up that you would like to invite.”

Lori said, “Yeah, I’d like that.”

Turning to Phil and Doris he said, “Is that going to be okay with you guys? It should give you plenty of time to plan.”

Doris actually released a relieved sigh, “I did want that for her. Thank you for being s thoughtful. Yes, that should give us plenty of time for planning.” Turning to Lori she said, “You can start sending me e-mails with the names of people to invite, bride’s maid lists and such.”

Lori said, “Okay Mom, I’ll do that.” She turned to Clark and said, “Okay, Let’s do this. How do we start?”

Clark replied, “I just have to place a couple of calls. We will need a wedding party.” Clark took out his cell phone and made several calls. When he finished he turned to Lorelei and said, “Okay, we have an appointment at 8:30 in Las Vegas.”

Lori replied, “Where?”

Clark responded with, “Las Vegas, at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel. I ordered the Elvis Wedding Package. I thought we could do this as a tribute to our old boss, Perry White.”

Doris said, “What time do we have to leave?”

Clark replied, “I guess we have about an hour. Why?”

“That’s just enough time for dinner before we leave.” Doris shouted into the kitchen, “Liz, how is dinner coming? Is it ready?”

“Yeah Mom. Ready to start serving.”

“Larry, is the table set?”

“Yeah, Mom. All set. Ready to sit down.”

Clark had sent out a telepathic call to the kids and explained the situation. /Lori and I are getting married tonight. Her parents know who I am but her siblings don’t. I’d like the six oldest to show up and fly us to Vegas. Give us about 45 minutes for dinner./

A chorus of replies came back, /Sure thing Dad,/ /You got it,/ /Way to go!/ /Be there with bells on,/ /I’ve got dibs on little sis!/

With a mental chuckle Clark replied, /I should have figured that one. Jessie, do you mind if Luce takes your place?/

/Nah, that’s okay. Luce go ahead and pick up little sis./

/Thanks Jess./

/You owe me one./

/Lara, why don’t you carry Lori’s mom, Doris. It’ll give you a chance to meet her. Jon, why don’t you take her dad, Phil for the same reason. Sean, you and Celeste will be taking Lori and me. Jim that leaves Larry in your care. Jessie and Sam, I guess we’ll meet you guys in Vegas. Liz and Larry don’t know who I am. They just think I’m with the Foundation and have some pull with the supermen and superwomen./

He heard from Jim, /Okay Dad, we’ll keep it cool./

The Lanes knew nothing of the telepathic communication which had been going on and had been moving ahead with the plans. Doris spoke up, “Okay, let’s go eat. Lori, you can give me a hand in the kitchen. Phil, if you would seat our guest? Okay, hop to it.”

They had a pleasant, though hasty meal and were ready to go when there was a knock on the kitchen door. This was quite a surprise to Doris as she wasn’t expecting anyone, especially at the back door.

Clark saw her confusion and said, “If you will answer the door, I think our transportation has arrived.”

Ultra Woman, Noel and Angel entered with Kam-El, Dan-El and Zar-El.

All the members of the Lane family but Lori gasped. After brief introductions and an explanation they were ready to go.

Ultra Woman exited with Doris while Angel took Liz. Kam-El and Phillip were next then Zar-El and Larry. Noel took Lorelei and Dan-El walked out with Clark. As they exited the house, two at a time, they all took off straight up from the back door till they were out of sight and headed for Las Vegas.

As soon as everyone was on the ground the superheroes took off again. As the Lane family exited the alley they were met by the Kent clan. Clark made the introductions. “I’d like you all to meet my family. The supermen and superwomen dropped them off before coming to get us. We do have a lot to accomplish in a short time so it would probably be a good idea to split up. Doris why don’t you go with Lara so that you can pick out a Mother of the Bride dress for the wedding. Lucy why don’t you take Liz with you for that special outing. Sean and Jimmy why don’t you take Philip and Larry to a shop so that you can all rent tuxedos. We’ll all meet at the chapel by 8 PM.”

Clark took Lorelei to a bridal shop so that she could find a wedding gown that would fit. A couple of minutes after they got there Celeste and Jessie walked in. When Jessie saw Lorelei she couldn’t believe her eyes. She was the image of her mom. When Lorelei saw them she said “Hi kids. Want to help?” Clark looked back and forth between the kids and Lori. It really seemed somewhat incongruous for her to be calling them kids. At age twenty-two she looked to be the same age as the girls whose rate of aging had slowed just as their father’s had as soon as they had reached maturity. They looked like they were all sisters.

Even Celeste who had been one of the ones providing transportation was surprised. When they recovered the ability to speak they both said at once “Mom?!?!? You remember us?”

“Yes, it’s me. Of course I remember you. How could I forget? Will you help me find a dress?”

“Okay, while the three of you look for a gown, I have a few errands to run.” Clark said.

Lori said, “Okay Clark. Go ahead. We’ll be alright.”

Jessie said, “Yeah, Dad. We’ll be just fine.”

Celeste being the eldest took charge and quickly scanned the racks and selected the dress she thought her mom would have liked. When she showed it to Lorelei she loved it. The girls went with her into the fitting room so that she could try it on. After determining that it was a perfect fit, Lorelei changed back into her street clothes and they exited the fitting room.

Lorelei went over to the veil section and saw a veil with a bow on the top and grabbed it. Celeste and Jessie at this point were finally, fully convinced and grabbed her and hugged her while weeping. They had seen the wedding pictures from their mom’s wedding and knew that the bow was something that not many people would have on their veil, but their mom had had one on hers. This, above everything else convinced them that she *was* their mom.

About this time Clark returned. Celeste and Jessie went to join their sisters. Carrying the gown Clark headed to the chapel with Lori. When he had picked up the engagement ring he had retrieved their wedding bands at the same time.

When they arrived Lorelei’s mom was waiting for her in the dressing room to help her into the gown. “Wow, Mom, I love the dress.”

“It was a gift from your husband to be. You know, it *has* been something of a shock, the suddenness of it all, but, I really do like Clark. He is so personable he just makes you feel comfortable in his presence. I just know that you are going to be happy with him. Alright now, let’s get you dressed.” She removed the gown from its covering and said, “Oh, this is a lovely gown.” After Lori had changed into the gown and put on the veil, they went into the foyer and her mom left her and went in to sit down with Larry. Her dad, wearing a tux, entered from the other side and walked over to her. “Daddy, are you really okay with this?”

”Princess, we’ve known for a long time, actually since you were six months of age, that this day would come. We thought that you would be marrying into the Superman family. We didn’t know that you would be marrying *the* Superman. It has to be okay.”

“Well, not exactly Daddy. I’m marrying Superman, yes, but if you’re not okay with it we can talk some more. ”

“No, Princess. Your mother and I are okay with it as long as he will treat our little girl well.”

“Daddy, you have *no* idea how well he will treat me. There aren’t words to describe it. I know that I will be loved and protected and cherished and … like I said before ‘There isn’t a fairy tale princess that could have a better Prince Charming’.”

Elvis

“Anyway, your mom and I, well, we’re happy for you. Now, I think it is about time. I think I hear some music.” He got a puzzled expression on his face. “Isn’t that Elvis singing ‘Viva Las Vegas’?”

“Daddy, it is the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel after all. Perry White was a huge Elvis fan so we’re having one of the Elvis Wedding packages, in his memory.”

“Who’s Perry White?”

“Long story. Tell you later.”

Suddenly all five of the girls appeared dressed in identical bride’s maid gowns except for Liz. The girls all had cream colored gowns but Liz who as the maid of honor was wearing a pastel green. Lara handed Lorelei a bouquet of white roses as she gave her a hug. Each of the girls had bouquets of white carnations, and each in turn then gave Lori a hug. Finally it was Liz’s turn. She did a little spin and said, “What do you think? Do you like the dress?”

“It looks good on you sis.”

Liz gave her a hug.

Phillip said, “Okay, well, here we go.”

The doors opened and they started down the aisle. Lara first followed by Celeste then Jessie then Lucy and finally Liz as the Maid of Honor.

Clark was standing at the front with Jon, Sean, Jimmy and Sam.

Her father gave her away, sat next to Doris and the wedding proceeded.

After the wedding they all adjourned to a restaurant where they had secured a room. It had been obvious from the start that Lorelei’s family would need to be brought in on the family secret because of the way things had happened.

After the meal it was past time for Liz and Larry to be getting back. Liz was scheduled to go on a field trip the following day for a Field Biology and Ecology class and Larry had to work the next day and they needed to get to bed so Angel and Zar-El showed up to give them a ride home.

In the privacy of the room, after Lori’s siblings had left Clark formally introduced the children, Jon the eldest who worked his part time job as Kam-El, then Lara whose Kryptonian name was Myel and who was Ultra Woman II. Next he introduced the twins Sean who fought crime as Dan-El and Celeste who was superwoman Noel. Then he introduced Jessica who was superwoman Hazel, Jimmy who was Zar-El, Lucy who was Angel and Sam who was Ben-El.

Due to the serendipity of their Kryptonian names Hazel wore a uniform of that color and Lucy had modified the ‘S’ shield on her outfit to display a pair of angel wings attached at the sides of the shield. Children were especially drawn to her, since she was a child psychologist by profession and she had become very much involved in children’s issues as a result.

Phil asked, “Why do you give the children Kryptonian names?”

“I am a descendant of a ruling family on Krypton. One of the reasons that the New Kryptonians arrived here was to ask me to join them and rule over them. I won’t go through that whole history. Bottom line, my family name still has a lot of pull on New Krypton. That being the case, we gave each of the children Kryptonian names in case they would need to interact with them. Lara whose Kryptonian name is Myel works for a law firm in LA. Her specialty is negotiating trade agreements with the New Kryptonians. As the daughter of Kal-El she gets special consideration. The senior partners don’t know about her special ‘edge’ on her competition and marvel about how she can get contracts that no one else had been able to. Her rise in the firm can be attributed directly to her edge. She has made hers the leading firm in contract negotiations with New Krypton and has created a very lucrative business.”

One at a time the kids, had left, only to return shortly with their spouses, thus enlarging the party. In this way the Lanes were able to meet the new relatives in ‘bite size’ chunks and not ‘choke’ on a lot of new names all at once.

As Clark was finishing up an unexpected guest walked in the door. With a rather dumbfounded expression on his face at his appearance Clark stood and walked over to him with hand outstretched. With hands clasped Clark turned around to make the introductions.

Just as he was about to speak Doris spoke up. “Mr. Wells!” She turned to her husband and said, “Honey, you remember Mr. Wells don’t you?”

Phil said, “Of course I remember him, how could I forget, how are you Mr. Wells?”

Herb was chuckling at Clark’s dumbfounded expression at this turn of events. He replied to Phil. “Jolly good. It’s so nice to see you again. Well, I see that the day I told you about has come to pass. I hope you’re not too upset with me for not telling you more than I did. It’s just that I have started living by a sort of motto if you will. It goes like this, ‘Too much information, too soon, is not good’. I had to be careful not to tell you too much and chance disturbing the outcome. I needed to preserve history, well, future history, history that hadn’t been written as yet, at least not at this time. Oh my, I’m sure that was confusing to you because it was confusing to me as well. Let’s try that again. In your future it will be recorded that these events occurred and just how they happened. If I had told you too much then you might not have behaved in the same way.”

Phil replied, “Well, things did happen as you had told us that they would. Lori was not interested in dating or having any kind of romantic association until Clark came along. Now, things just can’t happen fast enough for her.”

“Which is as it was supposed to be. I do not mean to be rude, but, I have some things to discuss with this family” Indicating the Kent clan. “and I believe that you have a couple more children at home waiting for you.”

“You’re right, of course. Clark could we impose on your family once again for transportation?”

Chuckling he replied, “I’m sure that can be arranged.”

Before departure Phillip Lane walked over to Clark and said, “Clark, now that I have had a chance to get to know you some and met your family, I am confident that you will in fact treat my daughter well. Seeing how you interact with your family and the obvious respect and love they have for you speaks volumes. I can rest content in my daughter’s choice of a mate. After the earlier discussion I must say that I was worried that Lori, or perhaps Lori’s personhood or personality would be lost by the overlay of Lois’ memories. Seeing her this evening though, it is like seeing a flower bud open to a blossom.” Looking over at Lori, “She has become quite a woman. I’m happy for her and for you.”

Clark held out his hand and as Phillip placed his in it he said, “Thank you Phil. I’m happy that you approve and I promise you that I will do everything in my power to see to it that I don’t disappoint you. I love her more than words can describe.” At that statement Phil dropped his hand and gave Clark a ‘man hug’ and said “Welcome to the family, son.”

This exchange was observed by all present.

When Phil stepped back it was Doris’ turn. She walked up to Clark and gave him a kiss on the cheek. She said, “I know you will take good care of her.” Then she turned to include Lori in her closing statement. “I will expect you both to visit, regularly.”

Clark laughed and said, “Count on it.”

While Kam-El and Ultra Woman II flew Phil and Doris Lane home Clark had a chance to introduce Herb to the members of the family that had not been present twenty years earlier. He had met the newer members of the family at the get together they had when he had first arrived in 2085. Actually, Herb already knew most of them since after taking Clark twenty years into the future he had spent a little time using the soul tracker to help his unmarried children find their soul mates. After Kam-El and Ultra Woman II returned Herb took the floor.

He called Lori and Clark over to join him as he began to speak he was addressing them directly, “I have some things to pass along that are going to be somewhat startling for you to hear and if you have any questions I will try to answer them at the end. In the mean time I beg your indulgence while I tell you a story.”

“Something over twenty-two years ago, knowing that Lois Lane was going to pass I began a search for her successor. By traveling into the future and using the soul tracker I found her, the woman standing here, Lorelei. What she did not know but can now be told is that the recovery of her memories as Lois Lane was no accident.”

Turning to Lori who had a very shocked expression on her face he continued. “Lori, your teddy bear which was your companion growing up was given to you by me when you were six months old. Didn’t you find it to be somewhat unusual that it never showed any wear?”

“I never really thought about it, but, yeah, now that you mention it, it still looks like it did the first day I remember having it.”

“That is because it was made from the indestructible hair of your descendants. Imbedded in the body of that bear is a small device. It is an offshoot of the soul tracker and that is the source of the dreams that you have had growing up. It brought out Lois’ memories as dreams preparing you for this day. That day, when you were six months old I placed the bear next to you and stepped away. At that time I triggered the device and it locked on to your bioelectromagnetic signature and started to function. When it detected that you were asleep it switched on bringing your memories as Lois into your dreams.”

Herb gave this a few seconds to sink in before continuing. “The next item that I need to tell you about is the pendant that you are now wearing. That pendant was created in an alternate universe and designated for you. It is a very special piece of jewelry. It was determined some time ago that through the action of a Kryptonian aura the Earth human spouse’s physiology is modified until it becomes a half Kryptonian and half Earth human hybrid. After that occurs then conception can occur and at that same time another marvelous thing will happen – you will acquire Clark’s powers and longevity.”

Clark and Lori were both startled by this and simultaneously said, “What???”

Herb replied, “Yes, you heard me correctly. Lori, you will have Clark’s powers and longevity. Lori, you will live as long as Clark. Clark, you will not have to go through the painful bereavement process that you did with Lois, you will have no further need of my use of the soul tracker to find the next Lois Lane. You’re soul mate will now be with you for the rest of your life, this pendant guarantees that.”

Clark spoke up, “Wait a minute Herb, if this pendant can do all of that, why didn’t you just give it to Lois in the first place?”

“Ah my boy, that is a very important question and one not easily answered. You see it’s this way, in this universe Lois Lane was to die of old age and you were to find Lorelei and live out your life with her. That is history. I was prevented from interfering in that because if I had it would simply have resulted in the creation of yet another universe wherein I had done just that, but that would have left this universe unchanged.”

“We have been learning more and more about the creation of the alternate universes and as we learn more we learn just what we can and cannot do. Often it is hard to sit back and do nothing when it is obvious that I could interfere and change an outcome, however that interference can come at a price and the price may be too high to bear. I have learned the hard way, that doing things my way is not always the right way to go.”

“If I had brought the medallion to Lois when she was expecting her first child a split would have occurred wherein there would be a universe where she received the medallion and one in which she did not. This would still be the universe where she did not so your pain and loss were unavoidable either way.”

A look of dawning comprehension was making its way onto his features as Herb explained. He asked, “Would it have been so bad to have had a universe wherein Lois continued to live?”

Herb, very gently, replied, “My boy, that universe already exists. You exist in a universe created by the fact that the body of your Lois, as a result of having been Ultra Woman, was sensitized to the Kryptonian aura and her life could have been extended. When that happened there were two possible outcomes, one where her life was extended and the other where it wasn’t. This universe is the result of the negative response to that sensitization. Incidentally, that Lois received a medallion also and enjoys not only the extended life but the powers that Lori will have in just three years. One further thing, Lori, you must be wearing the medallion to have the powers and as soon as you remove it you will not have them. Also, there is no fear of your enemies gaining powers from the medallion as it will only give the powers to a hybrid Earth/Kryptonian human. To anyone else it is simply a piece of jewelry.”

With dawning comprehension Clark said, “So there is a universe where Lois, *my* Lois is still alive and young and has my powers.”

“Yes, my boy, that is correct.”

Clark looked at his family and saw the same emotion he was feeling mirrored in their faces. Their mother was still alive, just not in this universe. The wonder on their faces spoke volumes. Clark said, “Would it be possible for us to see her?”

“That would not be advisable. Your life is now committed to Lorelei.”

Clark looked at her and said, “I’m sorry, it’s just …”

Lori replied, “I understand. Remember, I’m her and I remember too.”

A thought suddenly occurred to Clark. The implications of the fact that this pendant could prolong the life of Lori suddenly hit him. He turned to Herb and asked, “Herb, could the same thing be done for all of the Earth human spouses?”

With a slight chuckle Herb began to tell Clark a story. “Clark, we started distributing the pendants some time ago. We were holding it as a surprise for you and Lori. I guess it’s time for your family to reveal themselves.” He turned to the family and asked, “Ready for the unveiling?”

All of the non-Kryptonian spouses smiled at his consternation. Most of the spouses would at this point be in their fifties and were in some cases graying at the temples and showing some wrinkles. At Herb’s signal they all removed wigs and makeup to reveal a family all of who were apparently in their mid twenties.

Herb explained, “After I transported you twenty years into the future I returned and fulfilled my promise of using the soul tracker to help the unmarried Kents to find their soul mates. At that time I distributed pendants to each of them. As soon as they had been married for about three years and the Kryptonian aura had worked its magic on their physiology they each became super and their aging process was slowed so that it was the same as their spouse. I’m sorry we had to deceive you but, as I always say, ‘Too much information, too soon is not necessarily a good thing’. Besides, you’ll have to pardon me, I wanted to see the look on your face when we revealed all to you. The family decided that the super spouses would stay undercover unless there was a real need. If there is a major problem needing their assistance however they are ready to act.”

That became the last word. Herb shook hands around and took his departure. The family members began leaving and taking their family with them, leaving Clark and Lori as the final couple.

comments go here

To Be Continued in Chapter 14 – Working Together

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:27 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj