G Version

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
(#) footnotes
/ denotes telepathic communication/

For reference purposes the following will hold true throughout.

Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 - Canon Lois and Clark universe also called – Prime
Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 – Canon Alt Clark universe also called – Alt 1

Previously –

Finally, Lois pulled back and looked Clark in the eyes. “Clark, we have known, ever since Bernie told us about your rate of aging, that we were on borrowed time, but … I don’t want you to live out your life being lonely.” She got a very determined look on her face as she said the rest. “I want you to find me again. You know how Herb took us into the past to help remove the curse. That means that I will be back again and I need you to promise me that you will look for me because then, I can die happy; knowing that we will be together again. We’ve had a long and happy life together and there is no reason we can’t do it again. In the time I have left, I am going to concentrate with all my might and will power on us and what we have had and meant to one another, what you have meant to me. I can only hope that some of that will carry over with me.” Lois, with Mad Dog Lane determination set her mind to do just that. For the rest of the time they had left along with the easy banter there was a determined look on Lois’ face, committing even more deeply than ever every memory of their time together.

Obituary:
Lois Ellen Lane - Kent
Sept. 23, 1967 – Sept 23, 2063
Award winning journalist, former Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet passed away last night in her sleep in the arms of her husband of over 60 years. She is survived by her husband Clark J. Kent, 8 children, 23 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren, her sister and her sister’s family. She will be missed.
Interment will be in the Kent family plot in Smallville, Ks
In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations be made in her name to the Superman Foundation.

The next day in a San Francisco paper a birth notice was printed.
September 23, 2063
Lorelei L. Lane
Girl, 8 pounds 13 ounces
17 ½ inches long
Born to Phillip and Doris Lane
This city

And Now –

Chapter 9 – Herb Makes an Offer

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -124
September 2065 Sidereal
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A portal opened over the sidewalk leading up to the door of the mansion on Wisteria Lane and H. G. Wells, the 1917 version, stepped through. Herb double checked his TaDT to ensure that he was at the correct location and time. Once he confirmed time and location he knocked at the door.

When Clark heard the knock at his door he did a quick scan with his x-ray vision to see just who it was. When he answered the door he greeted Herb, “Herb, how are you? To what do I owe the honor of this visit? Is there a problem in the alternate universe again?” Clark asked the question as he conducted Herb into the living room and saw to it that he was seated comfortably.

Herb had assumed that Clark would have checked before opening the door and seeing just who it was hadn’t bothered to put on his makeup before answering. He looked little older than the last time he had seen him.

After being ushered in and seated Herb began. “My boy, I am terribly sorry for your loss. I was aware of when Lois was to pass and I have allowed you some time for the grieving process.”

“Thank you Herb. It has been a terrible time. If it wasn’t for the kids I don’t know what I would have done. I’ve needed to be strong for them as well as myself. It’s been two years, but I still miss her, I miss her so much.” Clark had to pause as his voice began to crack. Leaning forward with his forearms on his thighs, he took a breath and said, “You will never know Herb, just how much it hurts to lose someone that is as close to you as Lois was to me. We were together for over sixty years.”

“On the contrary my dear boy, I do have great understanding and sympathy for you in your loss. In fact I have had to deal with your counterpart in one of the other universes after he lost his Lois. Do you recall the last time you saw Clark from what you called the alternate universe? As we were leaving he was lamenting the absence of his Lois Lane from his universe. That was a rather tragic story. If you recall he told us that she had been lost in the Congo while investigating illegal gun running. The poor lad, after meeting your Lois he finally knew what he was missing. I must say that I had never before met such a miserable soul as he was at that time. So, yes, I know how it can be.”

Continuing on in a different vein Herb said, “As they say ‘Time heals all wounds’ and this is one time when we can put that particular aphorism to the test. You have been terribly wounded by the loss of your soul mate, Lois. Now why don’t we use time to our advantage to finally completely heal that wound? To that end I have a proposition to make to you and it is this; I propose that I assist you in finding Lois again. We know that the two of you are fated to be together throughout time, we have demonstrated that with the soul tracker. Last time we used it to move into your past lives but now I propose to move you through the use of the TaDT into the future where she is waiting for you.”

Clark was incredulous that Herb would suggest such a thing. “Herb, that is exactly what Lois wanted, but, I have been at a total loss as to how to go about it.” He grabbed Herb’s hand and proceeded to shake it while expressing his appreciation for his offer of help. “Herb, I don’t know how to thank you. Before she passed Lois expressed the desire that I try to find her in her next incarnation. She didn’t want me to be alone and lonely and she didn’t want to be without me in that next life. She determined that for the last couple of years she would do everything that she could to see to it that her memories carried over, her memories of us and our time together. I feel certain that if anyone could accomplish that feat she could.”

Wells informed Clark, “Well my boy to use a military term I have already scouted out the ground so to speak. I have used the soul tracker and moved ahead in time, tracking Lois’ soul and I have found her in California. I found her as an infant and have followed her through her development. I feel certain that this is in very fact Lois’ soul. I have also taken the liberty of paving the way as it were. I have met with her parents and taken some steps to ensure that she will be prepared.”

Wells continued, “I don’t think that anything would be served by you going to find her at this point in time. She is, after all, only a two year old child. As I have followed her as she has matured and the parallels between her life and that of the Lois Lane that you knew were startlingly similar. I did follow her to the age of eighteen and she was starting college. Can you guess what her major might be?”

“Knowing Lois the way that I do, it would have to be journalism.”

“Right you are. She will be accepted at San Diego State as journalism major in 2081, sixteen years from now. Now, if I were to take you to 2085 you would be able to meet her and establish a relationship when she is about to graduate. We know all about the special affinity you have for each other so if you were to meet her casually and start dating a deeper relationship could progress from that.”

“Herb, this isn’t a decision that I can make on my own. I will have to consult with my family in this matter. After all, it would require that I disappear from their lives for a twenty year period. They are all adults now which will help, but still, they lost their mother only two years ago and to now lose their father, even temporarily, I don’t know how that would affect them. I really need to discuss this with them. Do you mind?”

“No, no, of course not. Quite. This is a big decision and I can quite understand that you would need to discuss it with family.”

“Why don’t we do this, I’ll call the meeting and then you and I can have something to eat while we wait for them to gather.”

“That would be splendid, yes, quite, we can spend the time discussing the plan for contact.”

“Okay, let’s do that.” Clark called a meeting of the family for that evening. Clark made a stir fry dish and he and Herb sat down to discuss the plans for the trip.

As they sat down to the meal Herb said, “As I said I have paved the way. I have taken it upon myself to visit with her parents. Interestingly enough she is actually a cousin of your Lois born the same day as your Lois, September 23. I find it an odd coincidence that your Lois died on her birthday and her next incarnation was born on the same day. I took it upon myself to give her a present from the Superman Foundation and told her parents that the Foundation had an interest in her and that hers was a special destiny.”

“Just how much did you tell them? Did you tell them about the soul mates thing?”

“Oh no, no, no, by no means. I simply told them that she had a special destiny and did not go into any detail. I told them that when the time came for her to fulfill her destiny that they would recognize it. As I have been checking on her yearly, I did manage to get pictures of her each year as she was, will be, oh my the confusion of time travel, growing up. Here they are.” Herb pulled out his TaDT and called up a picture file. He scrolled through the file with Clark looking over his shoulder. As he watched he saw a progression of pictures of a young girl as she aged slowly the pictures obviously being taken at year intervals. She was the absolute image of Lois and there she was growing up in front of him. Some of the later pictures were obviously taken at sporting events. Some were even vid files. When Herb got to them he activated the video function and Clark watched in fascination as this Lois scored the winning point is a singles tennis match. He thought, <She sure looks good in that tennis outfit> as he watched her aggressive style on the courts. Another was a vid file of her grading in Karate. Clark was very impressed with the smooth flow as she performed her kata and when she had to fight how she took the match in surprising form and how she showed compassion for her defeated opponent.

The more he saw the more he thought, <That sure is Lois, its undeniable.> and asked Herb, “Would it be possible to make copies of the files available to show the ‘kids’? I know, they’re all adults now, but I still think of them as the kids.”

Herb asked, “Do you have a computer handy? I can download the files directly to it and you can use it to show the pictures.”

“Sure Herb. Let me grab my pad. You should be able to beam directly to its memory as long as we have a compatible interface.” He returned a few seconds later with his pad and held it out to Herb for inspection.

In a rather musing tone Herb muttered, more to himself than to him, “The TaDT is very versatile and can adapt to any interface. It’ll just take a … few … seconds … “ He fiddled with a few buttons. “Ah, there we are. I created a new folder called ‘Lorelei’ and downloaded the contents to it.”

Once the family had all arrived, not just the children but their spouses and children as well, most of them by air, they assembled in the large parlor. The non-super members were flown in by those with powers.

Clark smiled gently as he saw them all there. They sure were an attractive group, not just on the outside, but on the inside as well. He proudly addressed the assembly. ”I would like to introduce Herbert George Wells. Most people know him simply as H. G. Wells. A couple of you met him on a previous visit.”

Jen spoke up “H. G. Wells, you mean the author? He died in 1946 didn’t he? Besides he doesn’t look any older than he did when I met him over 20 years ago.”

Lucy said “Yeah, you’re right! I met him in this very room.” Turning to her father she added, “I even got the refreshments for you, Mom and him when he was here.”

Clark responded, “You’re right and there’s a very good reason for that. This is in fact the same H. G. Wells and you have all read his book “The Time Machine”. None of you knew why we made you read it but it wasn’t *just* because it is ‘classic’ literature. We had you read it because Herb not only wrote that book, but, he actually created the machine that he wrote about. Your mother and I met Herb a number of years ago when there was a problem with our time line that needed to be corrected. Since then we have had a number of adventures together. In one of our adventures he helped eliminate a curse on your mom which would have prevented any of you from being born. This curse had been placed on her in medieval times at the request of Baron Tempos. You all know about the problems we have had with Tempus, well this was another incarnation of that psychopath. Anyhow, Herb took us back so that we could prevent that curse from being applied so that we could live together as husband and wife. As a result of that each of you owes him your very existence. If not for his intervention your mother would have died immediately after our wedding night.“

There was a collective gasp from all the assembled Kent clan members and then there was a concerted rush by all of the children in an attempt to be the first to shake Herb’s hand and thank him, sincerely, for what he had done. Herb, very modestly accepted thanks from each one saying that he had been “happy to have been of assistance.”

After everyone had returned to their places Clark continued, “In that adventure, Herb revealed to your mom and me a device he called a Soul Tracker.” Herb held the device up for them to see. “Using this device Herb was able to move your mom and me through some of our past lives. You see your mom and I are fated to be together throughout time because we are soul mates.”

Clark gave this a minute to sink in. Turning to Herb he asked in an aside, “Could you use the soul tracker to help each of the kids to find their soul mates?”

Herb replied, “Those that have not as yet found them I will help.”

“Herb has graciously offered to help me find your mom again. In fact, using the soul tracker he found her in California. Herb has offered to help me to be re-united with your mom. Actually, this is going to be somewhat hard to explain and possibly even harder for you to understand. In that previous adventure we had gone back in time to experience previous lives. This time Herb has moved ahead, into the future and found, for want of a better term, the latest incarnation of Lois Lane although she hasn’t always had that name. I guess that one way to look at it would be this. Our bodies are simply vessels to hold our soul. The soul is eternal but the body isn’t, so when one body is used up the soul finds another vessel, body, to inhabit. The soul tracker ignores the vessel and looks for the soul essence wherever or whenever it can be found. In this case your mom’s soul when her body was used up moved to a new vessel. That vessel happens to be a distant cousin of your mother. Since Herb found her he has tracked her as she grew up and even has managed to get some pictures and videos of her as she grew up.”

Clark reached for a remote and turned on a holoprojector and linked his pad. He accessed the directory and started running through the pictures and videos. As the pictures were scrolling slowly through as a slide show Herb gave commentary as to ages.

When the videos played there were collective gasps from the assembled family because they could remember vividly their mom’s moves on the tennis court and they recognized the style. She had taught each and every one of them how to play and each of them had played against her more times than anyone could count. If they didn’t know her style, no one would and they all recognized her.

When the karate sequence played they sat there staring at the screen in awe. They clearly recognized the movements and the fluidity of motion from the many times they had watched as their mom practiced her kata to stay sharp and stay in shape. The technique was unmistakable and when she won the sparring competition a cheer went up from all of the children.

“We can go about this a couple of ways. Firstly Herb has made the offer to use his time travel device to take me ahead in time to a point sometime after she had turned eighteen. She will be starting her studies as journalism major at San Diego State. Or secondly I can stay here and simply wait for your mom to mature, perhaps move to California and meet her as a child. Personally I think that the best plan is for Herb will take me 16 years into the future so that I can meet and court your mom again, when she is of age.”

This generated some discussion. Lara spoke up, “How can you just disappear?”

Clark replied, “I’ve thought about that. To all intents and purposes as far as the public is concerned Clark Kent is in his nineties and has been in seclusion for the last two years since he lost his wife. It would not be unexpected for him to pass on. I propose that we fake my death. Since we have a number of doctors in the family now, a death certificate shouldn’t be any problem. We can also avoid an autopsy that way. Clark Kent will be buried next to his wife, Lois, in Smallville. Jimmy, with your help we will create a new identity for me, digitally, one that I can step into in the future. As far as Superman is concerned I think that he could announce that he has to visit New Krypton for a time.”

Jon asked, “How will things be handled in your absence?”

He replied, “You are all adults now and some of you are still living here in the Kent homestead. Jon, as the eldest son I expect you could handle any family matters that may come up.”

Speaking as the child psychologist of the group, Lucy asked, “What about the difference in age. She will be, what, twenty-two? Psychologically there is a world of difference between a twenty-two year old and a ninety year old. Level of maturity is only one aspect. How will that work out?”

As the family practice physician and the one most familiar with human and Kryptonian physiology Celeste said, “Yeah, and *physically* you look like you’re in your early thirties but really you are over ninety and she will be twenty-two.”

Jon spoke up to answer Jessica’s question. “Sis, we’ve been running tests on Mom and Dad all of their lives. Sean and Celeste have been helping ever since they got their MD’s because of their knowledge on Kryptonian physiology. The data collection started with Bernie and has continued even until now.” Jon walked over to the desk and activated the server. Donning the interface gloves he made a pushing motion over the top of the desk and the image moved into the holoprojection. Activating the virtual keyboard he started typing in mid air. The S.T.A.R. Labs logo appeared floating above the desk with a login screen. Jon typed in his username and password. He then used a biometric scanner for authentication and was finally able to access his files on the system in a secure area of the memory.

As he pulled up his files he explained, “I’m calling up the data from Mom first.” A spreadsheet with lots and lots of numbers on it appeared. “As you can see from the number of columns we have many years of data.” He made a sweeping motion and the display changed. He pointed at another file and it opened to display a graph. He explained, “Here is the graphical representation of the data. Bernie didn’t have any zero day data for Mom so they used Aunt Lucy for that baseline. As you can see these bars indicate the character of the genome. You can see how it diverges more and more from the norm which is represented by Aunt Lucy’s result.” Jon made a move with his fingers and another set of bars were added to the graph. “These are Dad’s results for the same tests. As you can see,” he made another movement with his fingers and when he did some of the bars lit up. “Mom’s results diverged more and more with time. At the three year mark her genome was essentially one half Kryptonian and at the last sample which was taken six months before she passed she was approximately sixty six percent Kryptonian. Over the first three years there was a rapid conversion and then it slowed but continued till death. Presumably she lived as long as she did because of the conversion of her genome.”

Jon made another sweeping motion and the chart disappeared and then he pointed at another file and it opened. “This file records the metabolic studies we have performed on Dad over the years. Bernie had determined early on that his rate of aging would stabilize and slow even though he didn’t know exactly the rate. We have determined by measuring the telomeres over time that Dad’s rate of aging is something on the order of 14% that of a normal Earth human. In other words in the last seventy years or so he has aged just over ten Earth human years. In essence even though we know that he is over ninety years old, effectively he is a thirty two year old man by Earth human standards.”

Jon continued, “It isn’t unheard of for a thirty year old man to marry a twenty year old woman. Okay, so she will be twenty two but that’s close enough. Also we know that she will continue to age and eventually she will in essence catch up with him age wise.”

Clark added, “Herb has offered to use the soul tracker to show her who she is and who she has been I can only hope that in doing so she will learn enough that we will be compatible.”

Clark continued, “Based on what Jon just presented I really don’t think that the difference in age enters in to it. I think that the fact that physically I am in my thirties because of my Kryptonian physiology is the key, I look and feel like someone in his thirties. This is one time when that will work to my advantage. With your mom she aged while I did not and Lorelei will do the same.”

Being the baby of the family and the one that Lois doted over just a little more than the rest, but not much, Sam said, “What about mom’s memory? Are you going to forget her? I don’t think I could stand to see you with someone else.”

“Sam, son, it won’t really be someone else. All of you really need to get the concept here. It *will* be your mom, her soul, in this new body. Before your mom and I were able to consummate our wedding, Herb interrupted us. He told us that if we consummated your mom would die almost immediately because of a curse which had been placed on us by a sorcerer in the employ of ‘Baron Tempos’. Tempos wanted ‘Lady Loisette’, your mom in a previous incarnation, but he knew that she loved ‘Sir Charles’, me. He challenged me to trial by combat. If he, Tempos, lost the sorcerer was to curse Lady Loisette in all her incarnations that if she and Sir Charles consummated that she would die. I had to lose the combat and go into exile. That way the curse was not applied. However it changed history. We had to go back to a later incarnation in the Wild West and defeat him there as Tempos Tex to set things straight. When Herb took your mom and me into the past we were ourselves in each case. I expect that will be the case when I go to the future. I think you all saw from the pictures and vids that this *is* your mom she’s just in a younger body. Now, there is a possibility that she might not recognize me or what we mean to each other. That is why I have to first establish a relationship with her and then later Herb has offered to use the soul tracker to show her who she was.”

Clark asked, “Are we all in agreement that I should do this? If there are any dissentions I will stay here and just find her at the appropriate time.”

Jon looked around the group and collected a series of nods from those assembled. He then turned to Clark and said, “Dad, we are in agreement. Go ahead and find mom. We will muddle along until you’re back. There’s no reason for you to be here by yourself all that time. We support you in this.” There was a chorus of assent as he finished his statement.

The next day they started working on the plan. Sean worked on the death certificate and the funeral was planned and carried out. Superman announced that he had to travel to New Krypton for an undefined period of time. While all of this was going on Jimmy was working his digital magic creating a new persona complete with a history, bank accounts, passport and driver’s license. In this way Superman’s absence would be accounted for and then Clark could accompany Wells to the future.

Once all of these preparations were complete he was ready to go with Herb.

Herb pulled out his TaDT and entered the appropriate parameters. When he hit the enter button a portal opened in front of them and they stepped through, moving to San Diego, twenty years in the future.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -124
New time basis
September 2085 Sidereal is now present day
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

As soon as he stepped through he could sense the telepathic communications being carried on by the ‘kids’. He sent out a mental greeting, /Hi kids! I’m back./

A chorus of mental greetings came back, /Dad!/ /Welcome back!/ /Where are you?/ /How soon can we get together?/

/I just arrived! Herb brought me to San Diego. He’s going to point me in the right direction and then he’ll be leaving. Why don’t we get together tonight at the homestead, 7:30 Metropolis time./

Another chorus of replies came back, but Jon jumped in and resuming old habits acted as spokesman for the kids he sent, /We’ll all be there. We look forward to seeing you again. It’s been a long twenty years without you. We’ve all missed you. We’re glad you’re back./

comments go here

To Be Continued in Chapter 10 - Lorelei

Last edited by KenJ; 04/30/14 02:20 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj