Lois sighed as she closed the refrigerator door, finding nothing satisfactory. Apparently, current circumstances had left her chocolate supply wanting, and ever since Jonathan had died, she’d pretty much been with the kids at her parents’ place– until tonight. So that left her with a couple of old pieces of fruit, some cooking supplies, and an empty container of ice cream. She resigned herself to a knotted stomach and flicked the light switch off in the kitchen.

She wouldn’t admit it to him, particularly considering they’d just gotten back together only about six hours ago, but Clark had been right. They shouldn’t have gone to her parents’ place for dinner. They could have gone anywhere else– even just stayed home and ate a little something before resuming their intimate activities. Not that there was anything to eat.

But no.

Lois was curious– about what her parents had heard on the news, how long it had been going on. And Clark had said he wanted to see the kids anyways– so they were in agreement.

Luckily, Clark wasn’t in any position to say I-told-you-so for the foreseeable future.

Maybe they should have called first. Maybe it would have went better.

Lois shook her head as she slowly padded back towards their bedroom. Dinner had been nothing short of a disaster. Her father had been cordial, at least, if not a bit terse. But her mother had been quite a b... witch to poor Clark. No, Lois thought. She had no need to sugarcoat it in her own mind. She had been a world-class bitch. Even when Lois had pulled her aside and told her that things were better between them, and even when Clark gave her his word that he would never do anything to hurt his family ever again– Ellen Lane had still held on to a stubborn grudge and turned her nose up at him.

The kids had been happy to see Clark again. And to see the both of them together, no less. Lois smiled slightly at that. At least they had gotten to take the kids home– well, Lois had pretty much demanded it after the way her mother had acted. Fortunately, the kids’ hadn’t quite picked up on the hostility between the adults– though Lois couldn’t be sure that Johnny, their oldest, hadn’t been a little suspicious.

Lois entered their bedroom and frowned when she found it empty. For a brief moment, panic gripped her heart. Clark hadn’t actually taken to heart any of the things her mother had said, had he? He hadn’t changed his mind...?

She shook herself. Don’t be ridiculous, Lois. “Clark?” she called his name out softly. She peeked her head into the bathroom, but found nothing other than the odd towel and tie– signs that he had been there. Frown deepening, she tracked back to the kids’ bedrooms, thinking maybe she had missed something.

Her ten year old’s bedroom door was open just a crack, and she saw him sleeping there soundly underneath his Star Wars bedspread. A small smile passed over her lips as she passed on to her younger children’s room.

As she rounded the corner to her twins’ room, she felt her heart melt.

The three figures were lying on one bed, both Jenna and James piled on top of their father– sound asleep. Clark had one arm wrapped tightly around his little girl and the other rubbing his son’s back lightly. At hearing her heartbeat, Clark turned his head to meet his wife’s teary gaze. He smiled at her and whispered. “Hey.”

Lois returned his smile and tiptoed into the room, kneeling beside the bed. “Hi.”

“Do you want me to come to bed?”

Lois shook her head fiercely and Clark arched an eyebrow at her. “I mean, it’s not like... not that I don’t want you to. But you guys look so... perfect together...” her voice trailed off. Clark’s eyes began to water, and Lois leaned over and captured his lips in a slow, passionate kiss. When they finally parted, Clark chuckled softly to himself. Lois frowned. “What?”

Clark grinned. “Nothing. You’re just making a hell of an argument for me to stay out of your bed.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her. She swatted him lightly on his shoulder. He hushed her, and Lois turned to see their daughter stir and snuggle even closer against her father’s side. Lois sighed. Clark’s expression turned serious and slightly mournful. “I’ll put them to bed in a few and be right there. I just... I don’t want to leave them yet. They’ve been through so much... I don’t think I could part with them ever again.”

Lois couldn’t help herself. She just had to kiss him again. “I love you so much right now,” she whispered almost silently against his lips.

Clark moaned quietly. “And all I wanted was to stay with my kids awhile and appreciate my life. You don’t know how hard you make things.”

She grinned wickedly, glancing him up and down. Then she leaned down and whispered into his ear. “Trust me. I know exactly how hard I make it.”

With an impish grin she stood up and strode towards the door. “Minx,” he called softly after her, and she shot him an innocent smile before returning to their bedroom.

Clark sighed with a smile and returned his focus to the two six-year-olds lying atop him. He lovingly stroked back an errant lock of dark hair from his son’s face, and then tucked a loose curl behind his daughter’s ear. He had told the truth to Lois just then. He couldn’t bear to ever be apart from them again. What was Superman compared to his family? He knew what it was like to lose a father now– and he vowed to never willingly put his children in that situation again. They were having difficulties parting with a grandfather– he was having difficulties with it.

Never again.

He lay there for a few minutes more before gently floating them all up. He lifted the covers and gently deposited each twin in their respective beds. Clark planted a kiss onto each of their foreheads before heading to the bedroom door. Turning around, he stared at them lovingly a moment longer before turning out the light and closing the door.

*****LnC*****

Reporters gathered around expectantly, murmuring and spreading rumors about just why Superman had called this second conference.

Superman alone knew the answer to that.

Clark, in the Suit, sat perched on top of a building across the way, staring down at the hubbub below. He knew without listening that he was the topic of conversation among everyone in attendance. He wasn’t stupid.

He inhaled deeply, taking a calming breath. He had spoken with Lois extensively about this very meeting all morning– it had occupied his thoughts all night. Well, practically all night. He shook himself. He shouldn’t think of that right now. He had more pressing matters to attend to.

He let out his breath slowly, controlled. For them. He was doing this for them.

Not even Lois was fully aware of what he planned to do in the next few minutes.

As people began to get situated and the Mayor took the platform, Clark stood up on the ledge of the building and dove off of it, speeding towards the press conference. He allowed himself to glide downwards and settle in behind the mayor, drawing lots of attention and camera flashes.

Eventually the man just stopped talking and gestured for Superman to take the podium. He nodded to him before stepping up and clearing his throat. Superman spent a moment looking out the audience– for one of the few times in his life, Clark felt nervous and almost afraid of the press. He braced himself before plowing forward.

“Ladies, gentlemen, people of the press. I’ve come before you this morning to... well, to explain myself. I understand I left quite a commotion last week when I bolted out of here– quite literally.”

There were a few chuckles from the audience members, and Clark allowed that to bolster his spirit. They weren’t here to attack him. Not yet, anyways.

“The truth of the matter is,” his voice cracked, and he swallowed before continuing. “The truth is, I had just learned that... a very dear friend of mine had passed. And it caught me off guard. I guess... I just slipped up, and I cracked. I am not ashamed of it, and I’m not going to put up any pretenses or say that it didn’t happen. It did. I just hope that the world can be understanding of me for it, and allow me my grief.”

The audience met him with a respectful silence. He glanced down at the podium once more, steeling himself for the next thing he had to say.

“Oh, and for one last point: I would like it to be clear to the public. I am formally renouncing my intention to run in the next mayoral election next term.”

A cacophony of noise erupted around him, and he winced slightly from the sound of it all. Superman leaned back from the podium, raising a hand to command silence. The noise quieted down, but not significantly. Clark had to raise his voice even into the microphone. “I need to take care of myself and my household first and foremost. Thank you for your patience.”

With that, he stepped back, ignoring the hundreds of questions being cast at him below and lifted into the skies above.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain