Part Five

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Clark’s weeping finally began to subside, they sat together in a comfortable silence. Lois thought more and more about Clark’s previous words, about them getting back together. Logically speaking, how could she trust him again? He had betrayed her– left her and their children– given up on life as Clark Kent. Why now?

Lois found herself speaking aloud before she even realized it. “Did you mean it?”

Clark wiped his face on his shirt sleeve and turned to face her with a quizzical look. Following Lois’ logic was never an easy task– though over the years, Clark had managed to figure her out mostly. But now, when he was distraught... “Did I mean what?”

She thought a moment, a little note of insecurity creeping into her voice. “I mean, seriously Clark. Why now? Not to be mean about it or anything, but... this isn’t just something you’re doing because it was your father’s dying wish or something, right?”

Clark turned to face her on the couch full-on. Mirroring her gesture from earlier, he captured her slender hands in his own and looked into her eyes. “Lois,” he spoke, voice very grave and sober. “It’s not about what my dad wanted. I mean, yeah, that’s some of the motivation, but that’s not the reason why. It’s just... when he died– well, first I was in shock– but after that, I realized how much I really am Clark Kent. I can’t just try to let it go. On some level I knew that if anything ever happened to you or the kids, I would drop everything and run back to your side. But his,” he paused, choking past a lump in his throat. Clark looked down briefly to collect himself before returning his gaze to Lois’ scared, bright brown eyes. He stroked his thumb gently over her soft fingers reassuringly, focusing on the smoothness of her skin. “His passing... it just knocked a bit of reality into me.”

Lois’ eyes glistened with tears. “And you’re not... what about your... Utopia?”

Clark shook his head. “If that’s going to ever happen, then it’s not gonna happen without you in my life. Or the kids. I,” he paused to swallow, gaze straying to her full lips. “I need you.”

Lois recognized the look that had entered into his eyes, the heat that made his dark chocolate gaze go molten and melted her heart in return. They were so close to each other now. Clark released one of her hands and brought his up to cup her cheek gently– a gesture accomplished a million times over in their years of being together, but to Lois it felt like a lifetime since he’d last done it. She felt her heart flutter in anticipation. He seemed to examine her face carefully, lovingly– as though looking for any trace of doubt or apprehension in her expression– before slowly inching forward. His lips were so close to hers now, tantalizing and full. He closed his eyes gently, as he went in for the final stretch.

As his lips met hers, Lois felt fireworks. Instantly she could feel the passion rising between them as she gave in to his kiss entirely, allowing him to overtake her. She threw her arms around his neck and pressed against him.

Clark leaned her back on the couch, allowing his hands to roam her body freely. God, this felt so good. It felt so right to be with her again. How could he have ever imagined living his life without her? She shifted her body underneath him, closer to him, and he practically was overcome with lust. He steadily began to work on unbuttoning her blouse, not removing his mouth from hers.

Lois gasped as his hands reached the bare skin of her stomach, and moaned loudly as he suddenly tore his lips from hers and began working his way down her neck. “Clark,” she murmured his name wantonly. Good God, she had missed him. Lunkhead or not, he was the only man who had ever made her feel this way. Her heart felt like it was going to explode out of her chest, it was beating so fast. And his lips were doing wonderful things to her chest–

Suddenly, her cell phone rang, making them pause for a brief moment. Clark shook his head and returned to his previous activities, as Lois’ brain raced to figure out who would be calling. Whose ring tone was that... Her eyes widened as her mind came out of its fogged state and she realized who it was. “Clark!” she shouted and scrambled out from under him to grab her phone before it went to voice mail.

Clark was completely confused, suddenly kneeling on the couch all by his lonesome. He blinked rapidly, trying to regain his mental faculties. “Lois?”

She didn’t respond except to answer the phone breathlessly. “Mom?”

Clark didn’t need to have superhearing to be able to make out his mother-in-law’s words on the other line. “Lois Lane! Where have you been? You were supposed to be back in like half an hour for dinner! Is everything alright?”

“Yes, Mom. Everything’s alright.” She rolled her eyes and glanced back at her adorable yet still befuddled husband.

“Are you sure? You seem a little out of breath.”

Lois didn’t dignify her with a response to that.

“Your father and I were worried that you might have caught the news or something and gotten distracted.”

She shared a puzzled glance with Clark. “Distracted? Why? What’s on the news?”

“Hmm? Oh, er, nothing. Well, anyways, we didn’t know where you were. And knowing you, you probably would have gotten into trouble– something might have happened to you. Not necessarily news-related–”

“Mother, slow down. What’s on the news?” She glanced around herself searchingly. “Clark, could you find the remote?”

“Clark?! Clark’s there with you? What is he doing there?”

“Well, mother, he does live here, you know. And he is my husband. We were just having a heated... discussion when you called and interrupted.”

“I knew you’d be getting into trouble,” her mother spoke acerbically.

“Stop trying to change the subject,” Lois snapped back. “And I’m not getting into trouble. We are married, and we were trying to have a rational, adult conversation. So forgive me if I want to spend some time working on my marriage instead of listening to you just tear into him over and–”

“Lois,” Clark spoke gently, eyes riveted to the television set.

She turned and followed his gaze. “I’ve gotta go, Mom. Don’t wait dinner up.” She hung up the phone, not allowing her to slip a word in edgewise. “Turn it up.”

Clark obliged as the newscaster went on.

“...It does open up a lot of questions. I mean, it’s not that we’ve never seen Superman personally affected by a rescue gone wrong or anything. Heck, the guy’s shed tears before. But this– I mean, he just sort of broke down during the middle of his big speech! And then he just ran off like that... there’s no doubt about it that something has happened. He hasn’t been seen in, what, four days now? That’s not a common occurrence for the Man of Steel, either.”

“Well, yeah. I mean, if anything, this just proves there’s a lot more to Superman than we previously thought. He looked so, like crestfallen and broken hearted. The poor guy... You know he saves the world on a daily basis, and he can’t succeed every time. He has to see so much pain and tragedy, and no one even stops to ask him if he’s okay?”

“Well, obviously whatever happened on Monday was something intensely personal. Maybe someone does ask . We just don’t know who...”

Lois saw that glassy look in Clark’s eyes as he watched the program and took the remote from his hands. “Hey, let’s not watch this.”

The screen went black and Clark finally pulled himself out of it. “I can’t believe... I mean, I didn’t even think about that aspect.”

“Clark, stop. It’s no good obsessing about it right now. It’s a simple fix. You just go out there and hold another press conference, and explain that it was all a personal emergency. Like they said, everyone will be understanding. Especially seeing you like that... They’ll take it at face value and leave it at that. You’ll see. Besides, if anyone needs a break, it’s you.”

He nodded, but couldn’t quite bring himself to agree with her reasoning on that one.

“Come on. Let’s just get something to eat.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain