Clark knocked on the door three times and waited. He nervously ran a hand through his slightly greasy hair, then adjusted his glasses. This was a terrible idea. He should have just waited for her outside their house. Or inside– but he had a feeling she wouldn’t take kindly to that, either. He could have even started by going to the Planet, seeing if she was working, maybe. But no. Instead, he was here, waiting for punishment to be doled out to him–

The door swung open suddenly, and Clark found himself face to face with his stone faced father-in-law.

Drat, he thought to himself. Really wish I’d thought of checking the Planet first.

“Mr. Lane,” Clark nodded to the man.

Sam Lane seemed to take his entire bedraggled appearance in with an expression of irritation and mild surprise. “Mr. Kent.”

At that, Clark froze. He had nowhere to take this conversation to begin with, but to hear that name be directed at him sent him reeling. His mouth hung slightly open, and he stared blankly at his father-in-law.

Sam sighed before setting his jaw and shifting his weight. “Well, what are you doing here?”

Clark scrambled for something to say. “L-Lois said the kids–”

“They’re not here right now. Ellen took them to go get an ice cream.”

Clark nodded slowly. “And Lois?”

“Also not here.”

There was an awkward pause. “Ah,” Clark responded. “Well then, uh, I guess...”

“Why don’t you step inside for just a minute, Clark?”

Clark nodded slowly and turned back to enter the apartment.

Sam Lane closed the door firmly behind him. Clark looked around himself, as if determining where he could sit. He was about to settle on to the sofa when he caught a glance of his father-in-law’s stern face, and Clark made the abrupt decision to stand. The doctor arched an eyebrow at him, and Clark set off rethinking his decision. He glanced back at the couch nervously, thinking maybe things would be more comfortable if they were seated– but then, Sam wasn’t making any move to sit himself. Clark stirred uncomfortably when his inner war was interrupted.

“What are you doing here, Kent?”

He hesitated to respond a moment, gathering his thoughts. “I... I just wanted to see the kids. I haven’t seen them in a couple of days. Since...” Clark swallowed hard and looked to the floor.

Sam sighed. “I am truly sorry to hear about your father, Clark. Jonathan was a good man. Ellen and I were planning on visiting your mother at some point this week, once things settled down. If she was up to visitors,” he added.

Clark nodded, still at a loss for what to say. He rubbed his chin, belatedly realizing he hadn’t shaved in a few days, either. God, he must look a mess right now.

“That being said, stopping by to see your children once every couple of days is inexcusable.”

Clark snapped his gaze up to meet the doctor’s. “I’ve seen them almost everyday since Lois and I had our... disagreement. It’s only the last couple of days that have been hard on me, what with all that’s happened. And I’m here now, aren’t I?”

“Granted, but that’s not the point. Look, Clark, you may think me a hypocrite, but I know what... what this is like. You think it won’t affect the kids just because you’re around them every now and then, or because it’s not their problem... but the why doesn’t matter to children. To them, they just see their parents aren’t together anymore.”

Clark set his jaw. “Yes, well my situation’s a bit different than yours, now isn’t it? I never cheated on my wife.” Anger flashed through Sam Lane’s eyes, and Clark strived to eat his words. “Mr. Lane, I’m sorry. It’s just... I didn’t mean that. I’ve just been... acting out lately, I guess. Saying stupid things–”

“No. It’s no problem.” Sam smiled tautly, a thinly veiled fury burning in his eyes. “I understand you’re going through some stuff right now, and you just lost your father. It’s trying times. However,” he began, a slight glimmer of... something in his eyes. It was a glimmer Clark noted he had often seen in Lois’ eyes when she was mad... and when she was about to win. Clark gave a slight shudder. “However, it doesn’t change anything. And it doesn’t discount anything I’ve said as being true. Just because you haven’t physically cheated on my daughter doesn’t mean you haven’t cheated her on time. You... trying to leave her for Superman– it’s not any more right than what I did. And at the end of the day, I’m the one sitting here with my wife and daughter and grandchildren– and you,” he appeared to survey Clark a moment. “Well, you go and do what you do best, Superman.”

Clark was struck by that, and did his best to hold eye contact with his father-in-law. But eventually he broke his gaze away, eyes stinging with tears of anger and pain. He squared his jaw and moved towards the door.

“Don’t want to stay for dinner?” Sam asked nonchalantly.

Clark rolled his eyes as he opened the door. “Could you just tell Lois when you see her next that I’ve been looking for her all day? I’d appreciate it,” he replied before walking out and shutting the door firmly behind him.

Sam thought about what his son-in-law had just said and gave a slight smile. He shook his head. If that boy took away anything from this conversation, he hoped it wouldn’t be a blistering hate of his father-in-law. But somebody had to smack some sense into that boy. Hopefully it would work out for the best.

“Will do,” Sam spoke softly to himself, before returning to his study.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain